Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Hey, been a while since I posted here.

My wife and I have been going through a touch time, for the past year or so. we have had arguments, and she cheated on me, even flew to Texas to see the guy. We talked about it and decided that we wanted a fresh start in a place where we would have support for us in place. We ended up settling on moving to Portland Oregon. So we save up some money and I send her out there ahead of us to get things started while I sell the house and get the kids ready to come out with me and find myself a job in that area. Things were going okay until I lost my current job in Ohio due to them finding out I was planning to leave. When that happened time tables got pushed and we didnt have the money we thought we would. We both decided that I shouldn't bother finding a new job in Ohio so I took the first job that we could live off of and started the ball rolling. long story short. I get out here with the kids after spending ever last dime we had to do it, under the impression we would have a place to stay (i verified that with her before I packed our stuff). So I head out here to Portland and when im about 9 hours away she tells me that I, and only I, do not have a place to stay. She takes the kids to her families house and they are there now. She spends the last of our money to put me in a hotel for a couple nights, but is no help in figuring it out past that. I cant afford an appt because im flat broke and I wont get paid for 2 weeks. So I am upset and we have an argument and she escalates past anything I would have thought. She had told her family that I beat here and put her in the hospital, which is not true at all, and they hate me. They called the cops on me and had them place an order to prevent me from calling texting or visiting my wife or my kids. So on Sunday I went from thinking I was going to be a happy man with my family to the police telling me Im not to contact my wife or her family under penalty of citation or arrest. I have no money, and im getting by day by day with places to stay, all my stuff is in a moving truck in the parking lot of my new job and I don't know what to do. I want to work things out with her, but she is making it difficult to even think we can do that. She has some issues shes been working on with her therapist and she might be having an episode or a mental breakdown.

Should I let this blow over and try to talk to her after she has calmed down, or should I get a lawyer and prepare my anus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

porkface posted:

Speaking of which, was she ever hospitalized as she claims?

No never, nothing like that has ever happened.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Wizard of Smart posted:

My first piece of advice, and most likely to be ignored is DO NOT TEST THE NO CONTACT ORDER Oregon does not play with that, you will go to jail and you will lose your new job - which is all you have. Block her and her family on phones and social media. Remove Facebook from your phone for a while. Do what you need to do not to talk to them until you have been to court and have a copy of the order dismissing the order of protection.

I still have rights to speak to and see my children, the police assured me I was allowed to contact her about them, and to see them. I cannot remove her or block her.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Blitter posted:

Because you seem like a well meaning idiot I'm going to reiterate TALK TO A LAWYER before you do anything. Do not call to talk to the children, do not talk to her at all, do not talk to her family.

What the gently caress will you tell them at this point anyways? Obviously they're bring fed a story already and you can't possibly change that in the current circumstances. If you're going to foil this plan, you're going to want evidence of parental alienation which is exactly what she's doing right now. Talking to your children and trying to explain that "mommy has gone crazy and is lying to you about everything" is also parental alienation, and probably what she's awaiting, with a recording device.

Do not muddy the waters; in an ideal world they will be interviewed as part of your divorce proceedings with nothing but her fabrications on their lips.

I'm sure this is an emotionally difficult time but you need to loving wise up the reality of this, and if you want to stop being played by your ex, think this through with the help of a lawyer.

Let me be clear here, In no way am I calling my children and telling them mommy is a bad bad person, I talk to y kids to ask them about how their day was, if they are having fun and to tell them good night and that kind of stuff. I am not a vindictive person and I wish no ill will on anyone, and I would never try to make my children dislike their mother.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Darth123123 posted:

So your wife's family called the cops, they told them you beat her, and a judge in a court issued a restraining order? With no evidence what so ever? What happened man.

e: also, she essentially tricked you into delivering the children to her after she setup shop in Portland. gently caress why would you want this woman.

There is no restraining order, its a no contact, there was no judge or court.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Kazvall posted:

I feel like something is missing here.

I know the feeling, because I don't know how any of this is possible.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

r00tn00b posted:

I know the feeling, because I don't know how any of this is possible.

quoting because edit is not working?

Her father in law is an ex DA and an practicing lawyer here in Portland. This probably helps her more than anything.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

wow op your soon to be ex wife is like a scheming mastermind, she totally owned the gently caress out of you. drat

whose idea was it to move to portland?

It was mutual, something we had talked about for a while.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

It seems like she has family there and you don't? You said things had been tough for a while even before she cheated, why were they tough?

She has been dealing with self esteem issues. And in a deep depression. I tried to help her but she wouldn't let me. She built up a story in her head that I didn't love her anymore, and that I cheated on her with a Co worker (nothing happened the woman who I had the affair with is an insufferable butch). So she sought another man to make her feel better. She has since sought out help from a professional therapist. And is working on the issues. The reason I think this breakdown happened is that she likes to plan things carefully. And we had planned the move extensively. When I got fired it moved the time table up 2 months and the stress broke her. She's in a fragile state.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Unexpected Road posted:

If this is your wife, wouldn't her father-in-law be your father?

I meant step father. I'm sorry.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Darth123123 posted:

back the gently caress up here son

There was no affair that's worded poorly and you can't edit

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

So what happened in those 9 hours or right before? Is it your impression that she planned this from the beginning? Why not just move out there on her own and proceed with a divorce? Do you think she was luring the kids?

What was the context of this argument, what was her reasoning besides telling her family that you beat her? Did you have any interaction with her at all that she or anyone else could construe as abusive (emotional, verbal even)?

There was no need to lure the kids. If never keep them from her. The argument was about money.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

Are you intentionally avoiding answering most of the question or do you simply not know?

What was the context of this argument, what was her reasoning besides telling her family that you beat her? Did you have any interaction with her at all that she or anyone else could construe as abusive (emotional, verbal even)?

The argument was on the phone and about money. When I went to see the kids her step father met me in the driveway and the cops were right there.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Darth123123 posted:

So you've had one argument with your wife about money (presumably your lack thereof) and that was enough for the police to file some no contact order? gently caress, I'm screwed if that's the case. I don't buy it, sorry OP.

I don't know what she told the police. I wasn't there for that.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

So you guys were arguing before hand, decided to move to Portland, you found a job and lost your current job, you decided to go ahead and move with a limited income, you move and your wife calls you to fight about your now limited income? And you found out she told your parents that you hit her when you met her dad? Did any of your arguments in the past become violent or loud? What were they about?

Not exactly. In the last 6 weeks we have been fine. Taking normally and everything was looking great. We had a plan to move with proper resources and time. When I got fired we decided that there was no point to find another job in ohio. I thought we had come up with another plan. But I'm not sure what happened there that's where my knowledge of this situation gets fuzzy. I get things ready to move. Move and get out here and she has a break down.

Yes we have had some yelling augments. Mostly about her taking to the other guy. But that stopped weeks ago. We had a really good dialog for a long time.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

Why did you feel like it was a good plan? Did you both mutually agree to it? There just seems to be a disconnect or something missing from your wife's perspective. Explain the break down as best you can.
it was mutually agreed on and was a sound plan, gave us time to live here and get setup before we had to find or own place.

There is a breakdown from her perspective and I honestly dont know what happened between Thursday before I left ohio and Saturday morning when I got to Oregon. Even Saturday was okay, we had lunch looked at apartments and talked. Sunday when we had the argument it was like talking to a different person.

GunChicka posted:

Let's say I'm passing by your house during one of these arguments, is there any chance I'd be inclined to call the police over what I'm hearing?

That's not really easy to answer, everyone is different. There are no blood curdling screams, just loud arguing. we live in a small neighborhood and we often have the windows open, no one has called the cops.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

What was lunch like after she told you that you didn't have a place to stay? And so you had lunch, then the next day she was mad at you about money and had a no contact order?

I'm not a fly off the wall kind of person, sure I was upset, but I like to take things as they come. Lunch was quiet but not an argument.

I was upset with her about money, not really about money but her lack of wanting to deal with the situation with me. I was getting frustrated that I seemed to be the only person worrying about it.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Nebulon Gate posted:

Goons have told me no woman would lie about getting hit because women don't lie about that type of thing. OP is a liar.

How would that make sense, if I had done those things, I would be in JAIL. It's not like cops weren't involved.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

So you have an amicable lunch with her after she told you to leave the kids and move out on your own? Did you question her at all about why during your quiet lunch? You then looked at apartments together?

So then you were upset with her the next day and, I'm presuming because I have to, started the argument? Is it then that she told her parents that you are abusive?

Of course I questioned it. I was and I still and confused about the whole thing. I haven't gotten a direct answer. I may never get one.

that's pretty much it, and it was not my intent to start and argument, but I guess I was upset enough that it come through the phone.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

I feel like we're getting closer here, circling around slowly. So when you asked why you had to move out, what was her indirect answer?

Why did you originally call her on Sunday that turned into an argument? And all of this time you are in a hotel?

Yes hotel the whole time.

I called her to work on a plan to get through till I could get a pay check. When she refused to really talk about it and work on it I was frustrated. After we got off the phone because she didn't want to be yelled at, I didn't think I had raised my voice but that's not really the point, she text-ed me and told me not to threaten her. I was confused because I hadn't.

Apparently the box cutter I had in my pocket was me threatening her with a knife. I never touched it and I put it in my car before we went out, it was only on my person for maybe 2 min in her presence.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Darth123123 posted:

What was your plan you wanted to discuss? Why are you carrying a box cutter?

It was habit from packing, I had it for a couple weeks when i was breaking things down to throw out, and I just had it, there was no reason, that's why I put it in my car, I didn't need it, but I was leaving the hotel and had it on my person.

I was seeing if her mother could help us out. her mother is stupid rich, but she also hates her mother so its a point of tension. She didn't want to suggest anything else. I would rather owe her mom money than someone else. She acused me of being mad at her for her mother not wanting to give me money. But that's not what was upsetting me, it was the lack of co-operation. I told her that multiple times.

I have since worked out something on my own and I think ill be okay for now, I just heard back from my work they will be giving me a cash advance.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
b]Was there more to this news that just "You can't stay here" Did you explicitly say "It's over"?[/b]
Just that I needed a different place to stay

During lunch, what was her response to "Why am I sleeping in a hotel?"
There is no room at her family house (this is just false)

What is the environment like while apartment hunting together, presumably for the place she is shipping you off to sans kids?
we were talking about places to live, she was talking about her and I living there, she liked the places, the kids will be living with me full time. the place Im looking for is for me and the kids and her.

what did she talk about, then?
She was not responsive, she dodge questions and avoided direct answer, I think this was the start of her full blown break down, she is normally well spoken.

Was this an arranged visit? What did her stepfather say?
I let her know I was coming by to see the kids, all I got was okay. but when I told her I was there, she told me to leave. before I could leave the cops were there.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

porkface posted:

When did this come into the story?

Did she see it? Did the cops find it in a pat down?

Just be honest with us and with yourself if you want to get anywhere here.

It was not on my person when there were cops around, I don't normally carry one it was just there because it was my last time leaving that hotel.

she saw it yes, that's how she knew about it. but it was only on my person for a min or 2 in her presence.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

OK, so:

While on the plan to Portland she tells you to find. As far as you are away, this is due to a space concern and everything is still fine.

You get to Portland, meet up and have a quiet lunch. While leaving for lunch, you remove a box cutter and place it in the car.

You then look for apartments together for your family.

The following day, Sunday, you call her to discuss how to handle your shared finances until your first paycheck. You suggest borrowing from her mother, which angers her. You then have an argument.

Later in the day you go to her family's house where you find her stepfather and police. Sometime your wife sees the boxcutter.

While your wife does seem very conflicted for the duration, it seems that your argument on Sunday might have been a catalyst for something? How long was this argument? Are there details you are leaving out?

everything there is correct except the Later in the day you go to her family's house where you find her stepfather and police. Sometime your wife sees the boxcutter.
this never happened on sunday

the argument wasn't long, just a few min on the phone. the only detail i can think of is that she is accusing me of keeping her things? but I cant just unload them anywhere.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

What? Then when did you go to her house and get told to leave by the police?
yeah I hate the edit thing I pasted to much, just the box cutter part, there was no box cutter on Sunday. I left it in the car.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

When did she see the box cutter and then when did she mention it?

Saturday

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

When did she claim you threatened her with the boxcutter?

Saturday via text message after we had parted ways for the day.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Darth123123 posted:

This is like pulling teeth.

Did you set the box cutter on the table? How did she see it?

Clearly she was done with you and you asking for money from her parents was ill timed to say the least.

The box cutter was not at lunch, the box cutter was in my pocket when exiting the hotel, I met her in the lobby, she saw the clip of it on my pants and asked me about it, I told her what it was and told her I was putting it in the car. then we left for lunch.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
this is a simmalar box cutter for referance.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

This text, what did it say? Were there others?

The text that has this was not with any others, it was after we parted ways and I hadnt called her or talked to her for a while.

the part about the knife

"Why would you threaten me with a knife, that's the only reason for you take have had the knife you weren't unpacking anything"

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Vorik posted:

nice, so this is what you were going to gut her with. you are one sick motherfucker!!

similar, mine had better grips and was better formed to fit in a hand.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

OP you should prooooobably re-read this thread and figure out if you're responding how you normally would. Your responses seem kinda automatic, without much thought put into them. Are you on medication that makes you fuzzy-headed? Or on 'medication' you bought from a guy or an eBay seller? Drinking? I suppose it could just be shock, but honestly some part of you shouldn't be shocked, after she flew from OH to TX to gently caress a guy. I don't know what terms you use in your head but you know she's capable of been impulsive, or selfish, or whatever's going on.

As an example. When mentioning the 'why would you threaten me with a knife' thing, most people would add "I had the knife in my pocket because I'd been breaking down boxes and getting rid of poo poo, I forgot about it. She saw the clip and asked me what it was. I told her, and then I told her I was putting it in my glove box."

Instead people had to pry that poo poo from you.

The fact that she took that as threatening her with a knife (which it isn't, even if you pulled it out of your pocket and showed it to her) shows she's in a unstable state of mind. Unless you actually waved it at her while it was open or something. If you did that, you did threaten her with a knife.

If she's unstable, it doesn't matter what you want for her and you romantically. Your kids shouldn't be minded by an unstable person, and she herself probably needs help. Which is going to be a hell of a lot harder for you to help her get because of the no-contact order. If there's a court date, loving go. She might not have told you about the court date. I'm pretty sure you can call someone, although I personally don't know who, and find out if you have any court appearances scheduled for any version of your name, and when they are. You might have to go to a building and show someone your ID so they know they're telling you, I don't know. I have no idea if they give a poo poo about privacy.

Actually, a lawyer can do that for you. Do you have one yet? If you don't, get one. If you do, tell them that you're worried the no-contact is the temp kind designed to protect people until a longer-term one can be ruled on by a judge, and that she's purposefully not telling you so you can't show up. If you have paperwork, study that poo poo. There might be a court date on the back that your dazed rear end hasn't looked at.

She was okayish for a while after she flew to TX and rode some dude's dick because that was some kind of weird coping mechanism. Now the positive effects on her brainspace are long gone. She is not herself, unless you're leaving massive things out. Which is possible, because you seem out of it. But, assuming you haven't left anything massive out, she's not herself, she's viewing everything you do in a negative light, and trying to 'work things out' with her is going to lead to a massive loving disaster.

ANYWAY This is 100% true:

But goons can help if you want the help, if you're willing to be halfway logical and work with us. If you don't, well, everybody pees.

I think it's been shock? I don't know I'm not medicated or drinking or doing any sort of drugs. I'm not sleeping well. That's one thing.

There is no paper work for me to look at it was a verbal order from an officer. I would have to look into the court date thing that worries me.

I would like to point out that even though I have said that I want things to work out with me and her. And I do. I have not attempted to do anything since Sunday. I'm taking ask the advice here and digesting it. I'm not going to just ignore it because it's not what I want to hear. I came here for help not to be told everything is going to be okay.

There was no waving an open knife around there was no waving a closed knife around.
I didn't threaten her in any way.

I dint know why I believe her but I do. She said she didn't gently caress the guy. Then until proven otherwise she didn't. Maybe I'm to trusting but that's how I am.

I don't think the kids are in any danger with her. They talk to me everyday and they are safe and having fun.

Now for new updates about me:
I'm not homeless I moved into an appt today.
I have not found a lawyer but I have the number to a sort of support center for these kinds of things. I will be contacting then tomorrow. They offer free services.
My new job is great and things on my own personal front are looking better. I just wish I could share these things with my kids.

I'm sorry I couldn't get to everyone I've had a long day. I'll try to get more in tomorrow when I can type in a computer and not my phone.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Darth123123 posted:

So this no contact order thing has been in the back of my head for a day. Something just doesn't add up. A policeman can't issue the order, not according to the official Oregon Judicial Courts page:

http://courts.oregon.gov/OJD/OSCA/cpsd/courtimprovement/familylaw/pages/domesticviolence.aspx

What charges were filed? When is/was your court date?

There was no charge filed and no court date that I am aware of.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

CravingSolace posted:

Did they give you any paperwork with the order to stay away? If not, then there really isn't any protective order, I think.

No I got no paper work or written order.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

Ok, recap here again: So up until the Sunday phone call you all had been looking for apartments together and planning on moving in together. Before that she had been acting a bit weird, such as suggesting you stay in a hotel and expressing concern over the boxcutter. You ask to borrow money from mom, leading to an argument. You go by her house to find the police who tell you not to contact your wife. Nothing since then? It's been 3 days.

I have spoken to my children, but only about their days and how they are doing. She has refused to answer my requests to see my children outright which the cops said she cannot do.
other than that nothing.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Obdicut posted:

What exactly did the police say to you?

Exactly means to try to actually say what they said, not to give a rough estimate.

The home owners and your wife has requested a no-contact order be placed, you are not to contact them via phone or text until they say otherwise.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Obdicut posted:

Okay. Are you going to get a lawyer? Because that, with no paperwork, is really, really weird, if there was no underlying crime you were arrested for.

Are you going to get a lawyer?

I already said yes earlier in the thread.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

a creepy colon posted:

The op mustve done something really horrible to be so vague and obtuse with details. There is zero chance that the mother of his children would just SUDDENLY go insane and steal his kids. It's also telling that the family hates him.

The family doesn't know me, they have only what my wife has told them. They have only met me once.

She has been dealing with depression for over a year and would not let me help her, or seek out help on her own until recently. This isn't sudden, its just the largest freak out she has had.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

r00tn00b posted:

The family doesn't know me, they have only what my wife has told them. They have only met me once.

She has been dealing with depression for over a year and would not let me help her, or seek out help on her own until recently. This isn't sudden, its just the largest freak out she has had.

god I wish I could edit

She has also been cut off from them for longer than I have known her, she only recently started talking to them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

GunChicka posted:

How old were both of you when you were married?

18 and 21

• Locked thread