Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
What a bizarre situation. Oh well, next week it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Pretty excited about the season 1 rewatch now that all the episodes are out. I didn't think the final episode was the great, but I'm still a huge fan of the show overall.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Please close this thread until one week before season 2.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

NowonSA posted:

After finally getting around to seeing the scene with Elliot and Tyrell's wife, I'm 100% on board with Tyrell just being another personality of Elliot's. At this point I just want them to go all-in and make Elliot live a truly incredulous number of alternate lives, each played by a different actor.

Unless Tyrell's wife, secretary, security guards, and like 60 other people are all illusions as well, it's just not the case. Tyrell's character is also archetypically different from Elliot and the narrative experience would be cheapened by his being an illusion.

I wish this theory would die, because it's dumb.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Tyrell is Space Ghost and we're finally getting another season of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Odysseus had multiple personalities. He was a cyclops, some sirens, and a whirlpool. Fight Club is just the most popular derivation of that.

But seriously, you ecclesiastic assholes, it's easy to call everything a derivation just because it shares 1-2 poignant qualities. I think it's more honest to say they are both original and share discussion on certain topics (multiple personality disorder, aversion to capitalism being the biggest).

It's a good show, and I like it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Odoyle posted:

Elliot as Gideon may be a bit of a stretch, but I just started the rewatch and the very first shot is on Tyrell in silhouette. Elliot has to be Tyrell. I think Tyrell is the real person and Elliot is a vehicle. Until somebody convinces me otherwise.

I think there is a ton of evidence this is not the case. I also feel like you will hand wave it away rather than Okhams razor that poo poo.

The Secretary not recognizing Elliot is an obvious one. Elliot being able to speak a foreign language fluently with a native inflection would be another. Elliot needing to be physically at two jobs all day every day would be another.

Reality would need to be so far from what we've been presented that the show wouldn't even be about what the show is currently about for that to be the case.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Episode 5, 8 minutes in. One of the FSociety pose gets real upset when he finds out Elliot was talking to Tyrell.

They are not the same person.

Please let it die.

(I haven't been obsessing over this, I'm just in the middle of a rewatch. Knowing Elliot and Darlene are siblings makes all the early episodes awesome by the way.)

Edits:

Episode 5 is really clever. While Elliot is on his withdraw induced hallucination, other people begin to acknowledge not just Mr. Robot, but the presence of multiple individuals when Elliot is in fact alone (22:00 into the episode). By the end of the episode, you're aware that most everything was a hallucination, but your brain will likely still credit the multiple person observations as evidence that Mr. Robot is real.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 30, 2015

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

iraqniphobia posted:

I just finished a re-watch of this with my best friend and she had NO IDEA the Mr. Robot reveal was coming until they were already in the graveyard having the conversation. It was very satisfying watching her freak out at that twist.

Your friend is dumb.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

It's cool how you think calling people autistic makes you right.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

qbert posted:

There's a website, I think it was Forbes, that published an interview each week when the show was airing with the technical consultant on the show, and they would basically explain how every tech/hacking thing in that episode is exactly what you would use in real life, and the creator's insistence that the techniques on the show not be bullshit.

Except episode one where they have that visual for the servers.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

CloFan posted:

Except for Angela not knowing what a rootkit is, :cmon:

Have you ever met a Project/Account Manager?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

You really don't want to see realistic hacking on tv. It starts with a guy typing into the terminal, then ends with him googling a bunch of poo poo and reading reddit instead of getting anything done.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

GutBomb posted:

There are no legs. Elliot asks Tyrell's secretary where he is and she says he's not there. This show has attention to detail. It's not gonna screw up like that.

This + a huge number of other things make it clear they are different human beings. I know people like to look for depth in what they enjoy, thinking greater complexity = greater satisfaction, but this show is quite complex already. And quite enjoyable.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

How are we back on this already. Tyrell and Elliot are not the same person.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

precision posted:

The way this show has been going I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrell and Elliot turn out to be alternate universe versions of each other, but believing they're literally the same person is insane. This show has already done that once, and the double fake-out is classic Shark Jump level poo poo. This show is better than that.

Then again, I thought Orphan Black would never get bad after season 1, so I have been wrong.

Season 2 was amazing until the end. The first half of that season was so good.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

ashpanash posted:

There's a theory out there, based on the first part of episode 1, that Elliot is currently in a mental institution or a prison.

Could definitely be the case, don't think there's enough evidence one way or the other to decide yet.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I'm fully onboard with the theory that Elliot is in a mental institution right now.

-Day to day repetition of the same activities
-The church group meetings
-The way the lunch scenes are shot with waiters in all white (typical garb for tv mental institutions)
-His small bedroom where he keeps a journal
-The way he and Gideon sat at the table and Gideon couldn't follow him when he just got up and left
-The white head wrap is straight up something you would see TV mental asylum land
-Darlene saying she had seen him a few times but doesn't want to talk about it
-Continuing psychiatrist visits

The woman he thinks is his mom would be a nurse. Craig Robinson is likely a facility worker with access to his file, trying to take advantage of his skills.

I'm fairly certain it all fits.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

LoG posted:

This is very dumb and I really really hope it's not true. This show is way smarter than that.

Why is it dumb?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Slamhound posted:

Yeah, I thought the half-way house was incredibly obvious and this institutional nonsense as been absolutely baffling.

Regimented living quarters/schedule, a friend/sponsor in Leon, a daily program, but also the freedom to move about your day as you see fit?

This show hasn't exactly been subtle about using computer jargon to describe life and Eliot hasn't exactly been hiding his addictions. A recovery program being described as a regression to 'analogue' is perfectly in line with literally everything else this show as done from the beginning.

Also it's good to see Doug Judy getting work. Rrrobot, Rrrobot, Rrrrrrrroooobooooot!

Halfway house is a possibility. I think institution is just the more extreme end of that. I think the point is though, a lot of us think he is hallucinating the circumstances of his surroundings now, in addition to his personality. He is getting worse, not better.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I think this all but confirms the institution theory.

https://0x41.no/mr-robot-s02e01-easter-egg/

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

WampaLord posted:

The institution theory could be true, by why would he still be seeing his old therapist instead of one at the institution?

I think constantly trying to have a "big twist" isn't something this show should be about, I really don't want it to become hacker :lost:.

He has an established relationship with an existing psychologist. Common sense makes me think its reasonable for him to continue seeing her. That said, I have zero personal experience in how these things work. Even if I did though, TV! Plus the psychologist and her role in the story is established to us, the audience, so replacing her with a different character we don't know who serves the same purpose seems wasteful.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

eightpole posted:

Actually it's a really dumb idea.

Your point of view is really well reasoned and insightful. I'm glad that we could debate the merits of the situation intelligently and come to a consensus.

Edit: Actually, looking at your post history in this thread, this is about the best I could have hoped for from you.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

geeves posted:

Screenshots that hint at something with his therapist: http://imgur.com/a/ga7WR

furthering:

Agreed.

That screenshot is awesome. Whoever figured that out is awesome.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

timp posted:

I seem to remember that happening a few times last year, and I've definitely noticed it with other shows on FX, AMC, etc. These days shows will just run as long as they need to over an hour to tell the story, no season finale or special episode excuse required. It's pretty drat cool and I'm for it.

The Netflix Effect.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

This FBI lady is the best. That's all.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Elliot is in an institution. Otherwise, he wouldn't have worked with Ray.

Ray is his only access to a terminal/computer. If it was a halfway house or just his regular house, he could have just gone anywhere he wanted to hack and what not.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Snak posted:

I thought that he explicitly told us that he wasn't allowing Mr. Robot to access computers because he couldn't be trusted.

He was doing that. But then he changed his mind and did access a computer terminal. The only reason it would be Ray's and he would get into that whole poo poo show would be if he had no other options.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

They've also waited too long on the Tyrell reveal for me to give a poo poo if he is alive or not. I just don't care about his character one way or the other now.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Is that lawyer ever going back to her apartment? Not even to check on poo poo?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah the FBI agent is easily my favorite new character of this season. She is super rad.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Snak posted:

I feel like the show is totally uncensored on Amazon. But I could be wrong.

I think it's bonus censored if you watch on USA online.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I think the biggest mislead was how poorly the convicts played basketball. That was definitely mental asylum basketball, not jail basketball.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Best episode of the season so far. That episode was rich with content. I don't think it was the best because Elliot wasn't in it, but by siloing him in a prison they've forced his personal narrative to miss out on the larger situation that we are interested in seeing resolve (5/9 hack, what happens next, will they be found out, etc etc).

Or I guess rather, the quality of the show is equal regardless of if Elliot is on screen or not, but I'm more interested in the content of this episode.

I'm also really glad that the same week I posted "will that chick ever go back to her apartment," she did.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I still can't believe people thought Tyrell and Elliot were the same person. I can't believe anyone actually thinks Darlene is Elliot.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 27, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

The theories that come out of this thread are crazier than Elliot.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I really, really don't want to say this, but if this were some sort of Blade Runner precursor and Angela and Elliot are first gen replicants, I would totally dig it.

I don't think they are though. I think it's an idiotic theory.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

The doctor is clearly on to something.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

How good was Grace Gummer this season though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Is there a reason why no one is talking about the fact that Darlene is Angela? That's what that scene with them at the end meant.

Am I the only one who got this? It's such a big deal for the show that I can't understand why everybody isn't talking about it if they got it.

Edit:

Their phones ring at the exact same time (because its the same phone). The glitching was not random or a lead in for the next scene. The glitching was established as a way to demonstrate when two personalities are fighting for control. That it was shown at that exact moment wasn't a mistake. She's an almost perfect parallel character to Elliot, and this complicates their relationship(s) in interesting ways.

Edit 2: vvvv When I'm right I will repost your post to make you feel bad. vvvv

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 20, 2017

• Locked thread