Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

d0grent posted:

Except Tyrrell shot him in the gut, which gives us plenty of room to believe he survived the shot without any audience trickery.

When Angela says "You did what you had to do" to Tyrrell, it made me think Elliott just thinks he was shot. We saw blood on Elliott's hands from Elliott's perspective, and the sad look on Tyrrell's face made me think it was because of the state Elliott's mind is in, rather than the act of shooting him.

I really have no loving clue, but it just seems pretty dumb to risk killing him (peritonitis) by shooting him in the gut because of something that "had to be done" to someone who is so loved, as it were. But then again, the elevator sandwich guy could have been dressed as he was specifically to treat Elliott if he ended up "needing" to be shot.

:psyduck: this loving show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

crowoutofcontext posted:

Both work in security.

Rose recalls a sister that doesn't exist, Elliot does not recall a sister that does exist.

Both put the life of their pet fish in Angela's hand!

I really don't think White Rose was recalling a sister that doesn't exist, but rather just hiding the fact that he has an alter ego to an FBI agent.

Edit: content

I love the similarities someone posted about White Rose, Elliot, and their relationship with time. I never even considered that. I think it's great fun trying to figure out where this show and its story is going to go. Some of it is kind of confusing and it only made a bit of sense once I started reading this thread, but god drat does this thread dive head first into tvtrope forum territory.

I can see why that one guy was worried about people theory crafting a 17, 71 connection. :tinfoil:

But anyways, I think Joanna is an incredible character that completely blew me away. I've never seen a more cunning and loving surgical viper of character. Her eyes really help sell it. Cersi is a cold bitch of a character, but her demeanor doesn't hold a candle to the confidence and sheer willpower the character Joanna exudes. I'd be a hell of a lot more scared of being in her sights than Cersi.

Cersi would watch and smile as I got stabbed in the back by a cronie, Joanna would be expressionless as she whispered my worst fears into my ear and raked the knife down my spine, all the while burning my soul into oblivion with a point blank :stare:

Now I'm scared. :ohdear: someone hold me.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 26, 2016

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

wait, i thought Whiterose's reference to a "sister" is just herself?

Well technically yeah, I was just saying I didn't think it was an intended similarity worth mentioning but more of an excuse as to why a the publicly male
Chinese Minister of State Security has women's dresses. Rather than pass it off as a fetish or gender identity, it's much easier to just be like "Oh, those are um, my sisters."

:tinfoil:Maybe there really is a twin sister!:tinfoil:

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 26, 2016

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

waitwhatno posted:

It's cold fusion

Gonna save the world from ecological collapse, prevent wars for fossil fuels and finally bring us flying cars.

Plot twist is that it requires an exotic rare earth that can only be found in the Congo. Whiterose will mine it all and hide it all away, only releasing it to the world under the condition that we stop making GBS threads where we eat and also that American Imperator Donald the Beautiful abdicates from his throne of skulls

I dare you to come up with a dumber theory, I double date you :colbert:

I'll try.

Everything you said, plus Elliot is either an android, or his brain has been altered cybernetically to become the physical manifestation of quantum computing software that is currently in beta until the Dark Army can harvest enough time until the device is actually built.

Angela was just initiated into the program (:v:) and now believes in a higher purpose for humanity. White Rose is actually the name of the new zetagonal core processor by Intel (a subsidiary of Ecorp) that can actually influence the creation of the computer from its perceived past, to become more efficient by basically updating it's own drivers, (like recruiting Elliot and Angela) from the future by making better choices in the past, and less reliant on humans with all their "wants" and "needs".

Also, plus the Time Cop theory.

:chord: I'll take my Emmy on the veranda.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 26, 2016

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I hope they don't use quantum computers to "hack reality" after being kinda accurate so far. It would be such a massive jump from actual hacking, that it would sound plausible to everyone but the people who do actual hacking, which it seems is a good chunk of their audience.

It would be a Big Bang Theory show level stretch. LOL World of Warcraft and comic books am I right? :xd:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

If it's not alternate realities, then they're loving with the theorists hardcore.

I feel like with what we've seen, this could be happening to more people than just Elliot. They said it all started with him, so maybe he's not mentally ill, he's just in some sort of quantum flux state and Mr. Robot is revealing to a select few people how it works. That would also explain Minister Zheng - maybe Whiterose is Zheng's version of Mr. Robot, and he's perfectly aware of her taking him over, hence his dress closet. I feel like he wouldn't have time to be both of them, unless he/she doesn't sleep.

Quantum state existence and alternate realities is more likely than him just being a rich and powerful crossdresser that doesn't sleep much? :psyduck:

I really don't understand why creative exposition is getting interpreted as time travel and alternate realities in a show that does a pretty good job to try to represent it's main theme (hacking) in a factual way.

I refuse to believe they will delve into some theoretical quantum physics-esque sci-fi/matrix time travel nonsense, and derail the show into 12 Monkeys territory. The writing has been so good thus far, and to completely bounce the plot off into some What the Bleep Do We Know level fuckery would be a massive letdown.

That would be akin to Westworld ending with everything being the dream of a cyborg who isn't self aware, just programmed to dream.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Elliot or Angela or anyone for that matter, hacking a particle accelerator to time travel would be completely ridiculous and ruin this show.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Following that QR code to the Ecorp Resume at the bottom of the page the Contact Me link directs to some hidden subreddits set up for the show.

One of them is heavily hinting towards a parallel dimension:

https://www.reddit.com/r/REALMysterySpot/comments/74zb42/gravitational_waves_leaking_from_parallel/

This is basically this thread in a nutshell.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

So let's see, Elliot and Darlene are the same person, Wong is actually two people one male and one female, Irving is a time traveler, Joanna and Tyrell are a part of the illuminati, and Mr. Robot is an actual person.

Mr. Robot created a time traveling machine in the future to come back in time to set in motion a series of events that will bring him back together with his son.

Using the hadron collider he and alternate reality female Wong, have managed to build a quantum computer that will allow him to exist in a state of flux between two realities, but can only appear to Elliot as an alternate personality because that is the only way for him to accept being able to speak with his father whom he thought had died.

The loneliness brought on by being orphaned, caused him to make an actual alternate identity in the form of a sister. Irving was an old hacking buddy of Mr. Robot who managed to jump realities, and into the future, to help Elliot with the eventual creation of the quantum computer. Angela is actually from the alternate reality, sent as a puppet master to guide Elliot.

This all makes sense now and makes this show the best thing on television.

Esmail is a prophet.

Edit: real talk, the show is really good, but this thread is basically the same thing as reading a Rick and Morty thread on Reddit.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 22, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Harping on a random far-fetched conjecture that's not only completely unsupported by the show but in fact outright contradicted by virtually every single scene involving those two characters is not actually intelligible speculation.

Quoted because it needs to be said every 5 loving posts, though it won't matter.

I'm really hoping most of these retarded theories are just troll posts and this whole thread is some kind of fyad out from the shadows operation to gently caress with fans of the show, or the show itself. Because holy poo poo.

Elliot is Darlene? Really? Wong is two people? Time travel? :psypop:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hotV5PFBXo

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

This explains why they gave out those Amazon echo dots: for their mini audio ARG

USA Network posted:

Alexa Holds the Key to a New Mr. Robot Interactive Experience

Originally posted on October 25, 2017

Tags: Five/Nine, Frank Cody, Amazon, Alexa

As any Mr. Robot fan knows, things just haven’t been the same since the Five/Nine Hack.

Now, you can step inside a post-Five/Nine world with a new Mr. Robot-inspired skill, available only on Alexa-enabled devices. Called the “Mr. Robot: Daily Five/Nine,” this exclusive interactive story game was conceived by Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail and was penned by writers from the show. And just like Mr. Robot itself, not everything in the “Daily Five/Nine” is always what it’s presented to be.

Enable The "Mr. Robot: Daily Five/Nine" Skill Now!

“The ‘Daily Five/Nine Skill’ for Alexa was developed very much as an extension of the story world of the show,” said Mr. Robot writer Randy Leon. “The experience begins as a Five/Nine report, similar to something you’d see in the show. But of course, this being Mr. Robot, nothing is quite as it seems, and it soon devolves into something quite different, and perhaps much more sinister, than what you were expecting.”

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Piriwi posted:

I think Whiterose has been building one or more quantum computers capable of breaking E-coin or bitcoin. First create an economic crisis so people move to ecurrency, then destroy physical records so people are fully dependent on ecurrency. Then take control by basically holding the world economy hostage.

This is the best, and most likely theory I've seen yet. Having money is useless when compared to controlling it's value. E-Corp can control the world's banks, control land, and even politics, but if White Rose straight up controls the value of the world's currency? That's real power.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I haven't been able to get poo poo from that E-Corp site. Every time i go they're always sold out. :(

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Expect the hoodie to be either too big or too small because they went with some generic "fits most" size.

No such thing as a hoodie that's too big :colbert: Nothing on erf is more comfy than a massive hoodie. :kimchi:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Spoilering because why not.

Angela sure didn't have any sense of urgency about her. Calmly and gingerly sorting through a pen holder, slightly glancing around a desk as if she misplaced her cup of tea on a lazy Sunday. Making sure everything is in it's place and undisturbed. Her part of the episode seemed to take forever. Her expressions and actions seemed like polar opposites.

At first, seeing her walking around a riot as if it wasn't happening gave me the sense that she was going to be a total badass about all of this. She knows what's happening, isn't worried, and is going to seamlessly handle poo poo, and slip out pretending to be just another victim. Which she kind of did, only with the look of sheer and absolute soul shattering terror on her face.

I couldn't tell if she was terrified, or in complete control. It couldn't have been both, she isn't that strong willed. It was a bit hard to see what Angela's state of mind was, and coupled with her scene moving slowly, it kind of took me out of the situation.

It was a good episode and a lot of fun to watch, I just wish I would have felt more invested.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Who the gently caress has time to bother checking badges and scrutinize anyone during a riot? That whole part was dumb. Why does a security guard give a poo poo about an employee with an envelope, again, during a riot? Angela can bold face lie to her best friend's face for weeks, but a security guard sees her drop a badge and she fumbles through the least believable lie?

"This badge belongs to my boss, it's sensitive material, and above your pay grade." Anything would have been better than pretending the dude stamped on the front is her.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

precision posted:

C'mon thread we're better than this. :negative:

As soon as the ridiculous theory crafting started in season 2, we weren't. As soon as people brought in predictions from Reddit, we weren't. Because: goons. I don't know what you expect to happen.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Sure, but none of us knew where the show was going yet. But the time travel, Elliot is Angela/Darlene/whomever and poo poo didn't ramp up until more recently.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

Totally forgot about the particle collider at the beginning of the season, didn't register it. Right before the start of the dialogue with Whiterose, there's a random scientist guiding some other folks around and he says the following:

Feels too elaborate to be just some throwaway thing. I hadn't even thought about it until reading this thread, but it feels quite possible that there might be some sort of sci-fi time-traveling/parallel-universe-hopping aspect that is getting ready to unfold. Maybe that's why Angela doesn't think anyone is going to die, because of some sort of understanding of infinite parallel universes? Not sure how this ties into China or Whiterose's overarching ambitions, but it doesn't feel totally out of the realm of possibility. :tinfoil:

Angela could just have been lied to and used as a pawn to undo what Elliot did. She is convincing herself she is doing the right thing because she is trying to avenge her mom.

As soon as anyone in this show speaks in a cryptic and existential fashion, it gets taken extremely literally. If the particle accelerator is in fact part of a time travel machine, how are they going to explain that in any real world sort of way without sounding like hackers explaining the internet in a movie in the 80s?

"You see, the particles collide and create black holes from which distribute protofluons through a gravity flux capacitor, which in turn is harnessed by this machine we've built that opens a gate to another dimension. :smug:"

Why bother being so accurate with the hacking, if you're going to just pretend a big complicated machine like a particle accelerator can alter reality and or time travel? That would poo on all the work they put into making the show seem plausible.

Unless the "other reality/dimension" ...

is ours.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

Well they play fast and loose with psychiatry... the whole split personality thing is totally Hollywood.

I’ve gotten a strong Lynch vibe at a couple points but I’m hoping they don’t go down that road.

What’s more likely IMHO is a quantum computer or some sort of simulation that can “predict” the future in a “we ran several scenarios and this one seems statistically likely “

See now this, I can sort of buy into.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

d0grent posted:

its not introducing it 4 years in, it started foreshadowing this stuff pretty heavily in season 2

To quote a post I made like a month ago:

Besides, the idea that reality is a computer simulation wouldn't feel out of place in a show about computer hacking, even if it is an ambitious route to take with the plot.

Fans reading into innocuous dialogue isn't really foreshadowing though. Also, it would feel extremely out of place in a show about hacking that is actual.

I think there is a huge misunderstanding about how accurate the hacking is in this show. That is to say, very. Blowing up ups's is a little extreme, but everything else has been very legit.

This would be like watching Mindhunter, and one of the characters suddenly becoming psychic like Professor Xavier.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

That's loving batty as poo poo.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

d0grent posted:

Re-watch the scene. It was not innocuous dialogue. The whole scene was basically a big neon sign saying "Hey, here are White Rose's motivations!" This was the same scene where we saw hundreds of clocks filling a giant room all perfectly in sync in the upstairs of her house. Whether or not she's playing the emotions of her underlings by misleading them, she is still obsessed with time. That's been a thing since season 1 even, so these ideas are not coming out of nowhere. Who knows where the actual plot will lead, but to say there is no precedent to any of these projections is silly.

Philosophical discussions about time don't necessarily have to be alluding to something literal either though. Being obsessed with time doesn't always mean time travel like the Doc in bttf.

Like in this quote:

Entertainment Weekly posted:

The episode opens with a glimpse at some enormous piece of machinery, and there seems to be a big answer hidden in there. Is this mystery something we can expect to be solved this season?
Whiterose’s motivation has also been shrouded in a lot of mystery for those last two seasons. Even though I didn’t want to answer exactly what it was, I wanted to at least show the thing, and I really wanted to drill down on her obsession to control her reality vis-a-vis this technology she’s producing. That parallels any real-life billionaire in our world who’s obsessed with technology and makes these lofty claims, whether it’s anti-aging or singularity or A.I. or space. We kind of wanted to model Whiterose’s arc on that level. What if someone with extreme wealth and resources had this goal of being able to control their own reality and they really wanted to execute that through technology? That’s as much as we want to reveal right now to the audience. We’re going to give out more details later. It was important to set that up this season because I think we’ve been teasing it long enough. We thought it was important to at least show the thing, even if you’re not exactly clear on what you’re seeing.

When he says "control her reality" I highly doubt reality refers to dimension, or timeline in a scf-fi way. He means it in the way that a human shapes their own reality. Their beliefs, their surroundings, their future. I'm altering my own reality now by posting in a thread. I'm not literally shifting into other dimensions.

"I hack time." Isn't literal. It's a metaphor. I look at White Rose and Wong like Roger "Verbal" Kint and Keyser Söze. Him "hacking time" would be the equivalent of Kyser planning out every little aspect of his plan to the T, right down to predicted actions of people.

If anything, White Rose is obsessed with trying to make a quantum computer that can predict the future.

Entertainment Weekly posted:

Just as a general question, totally disconnected from Mr. Robot: Do you think season 3 of a television show is too late to introduce the concept of time travel?
[Laughs] The problem with time travel — I’ve always said in the writers’ room that whenever you introduce time travel, it’s game over. Then all of the rules go out the window. Throwing out time travel in the middle of a series run is a little late.

He is right. Travelling through time in a delorean would gently caress everything up. But being able to predict it accurately, that would allow a person to tailor their actions, based upon the required steps one needed to take, to achieve any result desired. Hence being the master of their reality.

Having so much faith in time, to just walk whatever path you need to, is more than an obsession. It's a belief. That's the kind of passion a world leader needs, that's what someone with ambition and more money than God needs. Belief. Not time travel.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Is there a reason why no one is talking about the fact that Darlene is Angela? That's what that scene with them at the end meant.

Am I the only one who got this? It's such a big deal for the show that I can't understand why everybody isn't talking about it if they got it.

Edit:

Their phones ring at the exact same time (because its the same phone). The glitching was not random or a lead in for the next scene. The glitching was established as a way to demonstrate when two personalities are fighting for control. That it was shown at that exact moment wasn't a mistake. She's an almost perfect parallel character to Elliot, and this complicates their relationship(s) in interesting ways.

Edit 2: vvvv When I'm right I will repost your post to make you feel bad. vvvv

Either you understand how dumb this thread can be, and this is a pretty good attempt to get the thread riled, or you are the worst at watching television.

:thunk:

You willing to :toxx: yourself on that bet?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Got my Mr. Robot sweatshirt just now. It's a large and fits quite well despite my normally being a medium. The lettering is very muted so it's actually a nice piece of swag without looking like it.

Eat that haters.

:smith: good on ya. That and the echo dot are the only things I was disappointed I didn't get.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

:regd08:

Now I want Esmail to time travel, alternate reality, it was all a dream, Lawnmower Man us. gently caress it. Maybe we'll get lucky and we'll get a Sopranos style blue ball ending, or even better, Lost.

He should get Stephen King and Shamalan on board too for a season finale. Really hammer in some nonsense to an otherwise normal show.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

joebuddah posted:

The rewards are from e-coin rewards.
https://e-coin.com

Finally got a reward! Though it is a ring tone

:yossame: cool I guess? Haven't listened to them yet. Though I do like the music in the show.

Anyone run them through a spectrum analyzer yet?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Feenix posted:

That theory of taking over their body is extremely not loving likely because no parent would do that poo poo to their kid. Shoot them, beat them to hell, etc.

[Edit] ok some parents might but I think it’s been established that ACTUAL Elliot’s dad didn’t seem the type.

90% of the theories in this thread aren't likely, but here we are.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

At this point, the website is just a weekly update of "look at this stuff you'll never own". :negative:

If only there was a way to time travel to know when to check the page...

I just need a hadron collider, 5 alternate personalities, Kali Linux, and a dream.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

empty baggie posted:

I’ve managed to get all but 2 of the rewards. Setting up push notifications for the mr robot twitter account will alert you the fastest. Those seem to come in a good 5 minutes faster than the emails are pushed out and I’ve gotten every reward since turning the push notifications on.

:respek:

This will be the reason I finally make a Twitter account, thanks!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Adults, yes. Total strangers, though? To the point of asking one to take you to watch movies? You've asked adult non-family members who you just met that day to go watch a movie with you? Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second. That's on a level of dangerously maladjusted where you should probably start getting this kid professional help.

This is totally unbelievable, but the theories and other nonsense in this thread is acceptable? We can make huge leaps regarding other characters not being real, even the kid, but a character designed as a plot device to keep Elliot from killing himself is completely out of the realm of possibility and breaks the immersion?

:psyduck:

:wtc:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

It's Tyrell. Somehow.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

CloFan posted:

:siren: E-COIN REWARDS SITE HACKED, GIVING OUT FSOCIETY MASKS! :siren:

drat near dropped my phone at work trying to get in on this :argh:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

E-coin sneak peek :saddowns: up now.

Saw the f-society face and immediately thought CloFan was some sort of prophet, or from the future. :thunk:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm so glad Elliot had a backup plan to gently caress the Dark Army and I hope he does so repeatedly after all they've done.

Except he didn't. Trenton did. She had an email rigged to send to Elliot if anything ever happened to her. He formulated a new plan to take down the Dark Army after learning everything could be undone.

Elliot thought the plan was "all in". Now him and Mr. Robot are inadvertantly working together.

I can't tell if Darlene just snapped, or if that was a setup to burn Santiago. I also can't tell how crazy Angela is. I feel like the show is leaning too hard into the "crazy" which just feels like a rug about to be pulled out from under us. Totally think the time travel stuff it stupid and bad, but I love how Elliot straight up drops the word timeline as he leaves the red car.

Also this episode leads me to believe that my assumption that Elliot's father pushed him out of the window to save him is correct. I am more interested in that connection (Dark Army/Elliot's father) now too.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

“I passed that giant buffoon of an owner in the hallway” is still the best burn in the show.

that avatar/post combo tho :thunk:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Dangerous Person posted:

The TRUMP LOVER avatar is the new Stupid Newbie

Oh I am aware, that's part of why it's funny to me.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

The show was just awarded 3 Golden Globe nominations. That bodes well for a new season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Music on point as gently caress. Starting to warm up to the time travel talk in the show because it's now getting so blown out, it's funny watching people melt down with absurd theories.

I'm surprised some of the bad-at-tv people haven't jumped on the Superman time travel bit yet. Vera coming back is great, and even his line is laced with time travel bait talk.

Bring on the 3000 word theories based upon one line of misunderstood dialogue!

• Locked thread