Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I love how the big reveal was dealt with; an obvious deduction for the audience, but a massive revelation for Elliot. I've gotten to the point now where I'm finding the huge amount of TV makes me jaded, but once a while something like this comes along and surprises me in all the best possible ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That whole episode was just Whiterose/Zhang grabbing hold of most of the characters from season 1 and showing them what reality is now.

Tyrell was told that he was manipulated that his family no longer exists and that there is nothing he can do about it, Mr Robot was shown that his revolution didn't stop the party for the people he was targeting, Price was shown who is truly in power and then humiliated, Angela has had a kind of breakdown and Trenton/Mobley were murdered to further a cause that they had personally distanced themselves from.

Those last ten minutes were rough though. Really hard to watch.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Of all of the issues I have with the editing of S2/S3, the only one that I think actually tracks across entire seasons and comes close to being a "large" problem is the over-use and misappropriation of the "wrong half" camera shot. There's some other description for this (after a quick Google, it's called "shortsighting") but it's the Mr. Robot trope of having a person's face framed such that it's right up against one side of the camera while the rest of the shot is an out-of-focus background. (Uh oh, I'm not summarizing anymore. Time for course correction.) In summary, shortsighting was used in very specific, intentional ways during Season 1 but come Season 2 and 3, was mostly used "just to make a shot look cool" and used entirely too much. It reeks of someone just trying to cut and paste the best techniques to ensure the show continues to look good without putting enough thought into why it's good.
Jesus, I'm not the only one that noticed this then. Its rare that something just annoys me on a purely visual level but I found that framing of characters incredibly irritating when re-watching season 2 and I started to wonder if Esmail just watched too many Tom Hooper movies. It ended up creating this sense of unease and distance throughout the show particularly in places where he could have hit a more effective tone had he been more deliberate with his choices (although I do understand his constraints).

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

DaveKap posted:

To elaborate (now that someone in this thread actually agrees with me for once...) there are two weird parts about this. The first being that the guy who directed cinematography, Tod Campbell, was on for all episodes of this show except episode 1... and somehow got it right in Season 1 but went wacky for it afterwards. The second being that Sam Esmail's request for negative space and Tod's compliance was essentially what got Tod hired. (See: End of this article - http://www.vulture.com/2015/09/mr-robot-visually-striking-cinematography.html ) I still don't know which of them to blame for this but I have, up until now, been saying it's Esmail's fault for not being the only director on Season 1 but then taking the reigns 100% since then. In other words, he George Lucas'd it.

One of my friends actually cites Esmail's older work as proof that "he can work short form amazingly well but give him a long form TV show to direct and you only get to see his skills occasionally." With this thought, I could imagine he expends most of his efforts on the title cards and those couple "last 20 minute" high intensity scenes.

I swear to god I only analyze entertainment this hard when I really, really like it!
loving same mate. I love this show to bits, but the repetition of "shortsighting" was so obvious when I rewatched season 2 that I started getting frustrated with it, particularly in the scenes with Philip Price who needed something bolder to highlight his power and certainty in himself. Instead it put him on a level playing field with Angela which undermined who Price was and what he was saying.

I'd say the fault is Esmail's but at the same time I empathise with him. I think hes just put himself in a position to overwork himself, and you can tell in certain scenes where hes just out of ideas and just wings it with mixed results. He just needs to be more willing to just let go of the reigns and let someone else in to do some work so he can focus himself.

Its late here but I'm going to read the link you've posted there and I'm going to dig up some of his other directorial work tomorrow so I can see whats going on here. I mean gently caress it, apparently I'm at the very least going to see some above average short movies.

• Locked thread