Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Pussy Cartel posted:

The psychiatrist outright talked about Elliot staying with his mom. Extending Elliot's hallucinations and delusions to the point where everything in his life is imaginary would basically wreck the show's ability to keep anyone invested in the overall narrative.

Actually I think this fits; I believe his psychiatrist says "Why your mom?" But it turns out she wasn't asking why he decided to move in with his mom, she was asking why he projects his mother onto his caretaker.

Also, you'll be much happier in general if you just drop stuff like that. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Just enjoy yourself and enjoy the show, friend! Trust in the showrunners and show to deliver, they certainly have been so far. It's just like the admittedly heavily telegraphed Mr. Robot reveal last season. On paper it sounds like a contrived rehash of Fight Club, but I'll be damned if I wasn't enthralled for just about every scene of S1. They're doing it right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

siggy2021 posted:

What's going on with the length of this weeks episode? It looks like it's running ~1.5 hours again according to USA's schedule. I checked next week and it's back down to the normal 1 hour. I don't remember seeing anyone talking about tomorrow being another extended episode.

I seem to remember that happening a few times last year, and I've definitely noticed it with other shows on FX, AMC, etc. These days shows will just run as long as they need to over an hour to tell the story, no season finale or special episode excuse required. It's pretty drat cool and I'm for it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

This thread is really long and I'm not sure if I have the effort to crawl through the ginormous about of pages, so question here. In E1/E2 of this season, was the bondage lady that gets into the kinky poo poo Tyrell's wife? Was there ANY exposition about how she ended up with that guy or was it just a random scene thrown at the audience and might have meaning later?

Yes, that was her

She cast Tyrell out because he lost his job (and he's in the wind now) so she picked up some young dumb guy who will do everything she says in order to keep herself sexually satisfied. I think that's about all there is to it...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

uncertainty posted:

My reading was slightly different, she doesn't really like this new guy and feels the need to "train" him because she doesn't have access to Tyrell atm, but I am not sure she cast him out because of the phone-present. To me it came across more as her trying to create a somewhat long-term placeholder.

I don't disagree with any of that, she's definitely trying to train him. But she's clearly just using him sexually and makes it very clear that that's where their relationship ends.

Could be interesting if there turned out to be more to his character, kind of like the amateur rapper trying to give his CD out in S1 who ended up being a skilled hacker and F Society's liaison for the Dark Army. But I also think it's too early to speculate since we have only one scene to go off of so far.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've been taking various ADD medicines my whole life and I've always been very careful and responsible with it; I've never taken more than the doctor approved dosage even once in my 20+ years of being medicated.

The scene where Elliot pops one pill...then another...then another...then two...then three in quick succession...man that was tough for me to watch. I was literally cringing harder and harder with each one. That being said, I really loved the Elliot depicted above in those gifs. That whole scene was so manically happy and fun to watch. You know the crash and the return of Mr. Robot are both inevitable, but gently caress man! Look how happy he is about that lovely basketball game.

Just another testament to Rami Malek, dude's seriously, seriously talented.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo she just said cunty on cable TV.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
drat thank god they muted her saying gently caress 5 minutes later, that would have been pretty offensive, to me

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

PunkBoy posted:

I like how Malik nails Slater's arm-crossing as he puts the jacket and mask on.

Yeah, he was definitely doing his best Christian Slater impression there, it was awesome

I'm super aware of music used in media, to the point where it's sometimes difficult for me to casually watch reality tv shows because they play music that absolutely beats you over the head with its obviousness like you're some kind of jackass...it's insulting.

The music on this show is transcendent. It elevates the mood of every scene instead trying to reinforce what's happening on screen. A good example of this is (Breaking Bad spoilers) when Gus walks into Hector's retirement home, which is on the surface a seemingly normal occurrence, but the music playing signifies that this is a BIG DEAL from a story pacing and plot perspective. Music can make or break a scene and whoever makes those decisions for this show deserves a loving Emmy.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Was that the cat lover from Iron Mountain at his fake dinner table?!?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know a lick of Chinese but I actually noticed that, too...it just sounded stilted; all the words seemed overly separated. Oddly enough this show shares that quality with Breaking Bad as well. I know un poco amount of Spanish, and whenever a character would speak Spanish on Breaking Bad I was always surprised by how slowly they would speak, way slower than a native speaker would speak naturally. Always seemed very out of character for that show.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

You are not a very good contract killer if you shoot someone in the head at a crowded bar. I wrote Gideon off as a poor guy who got financially ruined since AllSafe took the blame for the ECorp hack.

I watched the second episode in pieces. Did Elliot and Ray play chess before he plays himself, and is it shown?

Yeah. Ray tells him that he's really terrible at chess and that they shouldn't even play each other anymore because he'll just win everytime

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Skizzzer posted:

I think that was more about white Rose's gender identity and probably a commentary on China's views on such said identities than anything like true detective.

Yeah, I think the takeaway from that scene was this: WhiteRose is saying that, if 5/9 hadn't happened, he'd have a lot more free time for his crossdressing, which is also why he started to get a bit emotional. We know that he's motivated when it comes to putting an end to this because it's standing in the way of letting him/her be his/her true self.

When we were first introduced to Dom and she was chatting it up with the dry cleaners, I think that scene was meant to establish that Dom has an incredible, almost super human ability to get people to connect with her and open up to her, which is what makes her such a drat good FBI agent. I think she was starting to pick up on some of the subtle messages that Dom was putting down and asked just the right questions to get him to open up to her.

Unfortunately I think later he realized that he'd said too much and knew that Dom would find out that he doesn't have a sister, hence the hit on the FBI that was ordered.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JazzFlight posted:

If the institution theory falls through and everything is as it seems, then the first 5 episodes of weird build-up about where he is just became wasted potential. We're to then believe that his actual mother is just hanging out around the house with no interaction at all with anyone? Why does his therapist's room now have an odd light fixture in it (similar to his house) that wasn't in the first season? How convenient it becomes that Ray "knew the chaplain" at the group meetings and got Elliot's journal. Why is the diner so institutional with its cafeteria lines?

Why do all of this just to say, "nah, it was all real."

To me the most damning evidence that the Institution theory is correct is the fact that Elliot always meets with visitors in the downstairs dining room, aka the visitation room. He loves that "diner" (the cafeteria) and eats there 3 times a day, so why wouldn't he meet visitors like Gideon and Darlene there?

The exception to this is Ray of course, but I think we've already established that he's staff of some sort, which would easily give him the power to meet with Elliot in his office, dismiss an orderly for a meeting, or have him dragged out into the streets.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Grem posted:

It could be either but I'll say "a basement" since if it was his it'd probably a bit more furnished.

Actually it's just a solitary confinement room in the Institution.

Personally I think we'll be getting a reveal on this in the next episode.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nickmeister posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but all of the Chinese speakers in this show are terrible. I guess it was hard to find good ones since this show doesn't suck up to the Communist Party?

Yeah, noticed that again too unfortunately. That scene where Cisco was in the library with the Dark Army guy was so obviously ADR'ed that it was hard to watch right after the incredible 90's segment. But to be fair, I guess I'd rather they just go for it like they are now rather than make people who are clearly Chinese speak English, which wouldn't be as immersive.

Just remembered something I liked from the sitcom segment: Each character's credits closeup was during some traumatic moment in their life, and then they cheese it for the camera. Eliot has just fallen out of a window, Mr. Robot is in a doctor's office and presumably has just been told he has cancer, Angela is literally standing over her dead mother's casket and trying not to cry. It was both hosed up and hilarious all at once.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Toplowtech posted:

Portia doubleday "crying at my mother burial" part in the 90s intro is the best thing.

Goddamnit, she really tries to pull it together with all the mascara running down her face, and she almost pulls it off. :lol:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

The beep in the sitcom part of the last episode is the only censorship I've seen, which made it really funny. I feel like the impact must have been less for people watching it on broadcast.

Nah because the censorship usually occurs as the dialogue being silenced rather than the usual high pitched tone, so it was still jarring and different.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

timp on 8/11 posted:

Actually it's just a solitary confinement room in the Institution.

Personally I think we'll be getting a reveal on this in the next episode.

sha-booyaka

Not an institution, but close enough. I wonder what in particular he's in for?

Just like the Tyler Durden reveal from last season, it was amazing to watch despite being pretty sure it was going to happen. Good episode, loved seeing Angela start flexing a bit, and Ray was fantastic in his last scene

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I like the idea that he's in there for hacking Krista's former boyfriend.

Or, more specifically, it may have something to do with stealing his dog. Is that a crime? If so it seems like exactly the kind of small time crime Elliot would want to be pegged for in order to essentially institutionalize himself for a brief period of time.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

jongp4 posted:

Well I just rematched that scene and he says that he had already went to the police and they had been looking for Elliot for 6 weeks. There are plenty of Cyber Crime Fraud laws that he could have broken. But proving it would be hard. My guess is they got him on something that Krista testified to, that Elliot may have mentioned in his sessions. All they would have needed was a warrant to his apartment where they would have found all his "CDs". Now I would hope they would be encrypted but they also could have found drugs which would have caused him to be incarcerated.

That's true, it could also be a minor drug charge.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It is a bit weird that he was able to get his own room at a penitentiary in NYC, but I'd be willing to write that off as "he needed that for TV purposes"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

And I too hope that "huge unreliable narrator twist" dont become the series gimmick

Nah, Eliot said that he trusted us and he wouldn't hide anything from us from now on.

He promised!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Dialogue in any scripted show is vastly different from the way people talk in real life and *pause for dramatic effect* is just one of those ways

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If anything, I'd say the reason you feel that way is because everything else about the show often feels so real and grounded in our reality. I've felt that way about shows in the past as well; you want to be super nitpicky because the show is so realistic in so many ways that picking up on one conventional TV practice can whip you back into reality

e: quote is not edit

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Spoilers for the Mr. Robot app below, trying to figure out if I broke it or something:

Last night I was trying to text Lois Berry to get her login credentials and it didn't go so well. The last thing that happened was she said she'd just login for me when she gets to the office in a few hours and I said "Lois, that'll be too late!" And that was 14 hours ago, haven't heard anything since. In the middle of the conversation I got some additional information from Darlene, and I haven't heard anything new from her or "E" either...is it normal to go this long without any notifications? I'm pretty sure I failed this first assignment anyways and now I'm wondering if I mucked up the sequence of events somehow.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

timp posted:

Spoilers for the Mr. Robot app below, trying to figure out if I broke it or something:

Last night I was trying to text Lois Berry to get her login credentials and it didn't go so well. The last thing that happened was she said she'd just login for me when she gets to the office in a few hours and I said "Lois, that'll be too late!" And that was 14 hours ago, haven't heard anything since. In the middle of the conversation I got some additional information from Darlene, and I haven't heard anything new from her or "E" either...is it normal to go this long without any notifications? I'm pretty sure I failed this first assignment anyways and now I'm wondering if I mucked up the sequence of events somehow.

update: still no notifications, I think I broke it. Going to reinstall it and try again I suppose!

Word of caution to anyone looking to download the game: it's very cool, you should do it, but...don't do what I did I guess, or you'll break it. :lol:

e: in spoiler-friendly terms: I was attempting to coax someone into giving me their login details via text, and during the mission I texted Darlene to ask for her help. Don't do that I guess, or the game might soft lock.

timp fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 24, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hang on, I'll ask

*prays*

yeah it was really Him

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Highblood posted:

:v:

It looks even better.

drat if you weren't about to make that your AV I totally would

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Wonder who will get to Cisco first, the Dark Army or the FBI. Either way he is Capital F hosed

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shooting Blanks posted:

Someone remind me, were there any romantic overtones between Elliot and Angela before, or history? I couldn't tell if she was simply confused by the kiss, if she had been hoping it would happen for a long time (my guess) or if there was some history that she didn't want to revisit and didn't know why Elliot would?

I don't even think she was necessarily hoping for affection from Elliot in particular, simply that he was familiar and safe, and she's been so tightly wound while inside ecorp that it was just an emotional release.

That's probably a big part of it, but I think she's always liked Elliot on top of that...same with Elliot. I can't really cite any past scenes off the top of my head to support that theory, but I definitely felt that way watching the scene on the subway. She's also well aware of Elliot's dislike of being touched so it probably had even more impact on her because of it.

To me it felt like that was the one thing Elliot could have done to change Angela's mind and decide against confessing, and Elliot probably didn't even do it for that reason. Looks like it probably doesn't matter anyways based on the final shot we see of Angela facing down two unknowns.

tvgm2 posted:

That episode had maybe 25 straight minutes of tension.

The soundtrack was incredible as always. Minimalist electronica is the perfect backdrop for this show. And how about that loving cold open? Was that Babymetal?!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of those shootings, Dom is a bit of a badass isn't she? She's taken down two Dark Army assassins who totally had the drop on her. She really is an asset to the Bureau.

Unlike her dumbass supervisor who insists on putting out a BOLO on Cisco, then less than an hour later says with a straight face that Cisco is probably in hiding and they won't be able to find him because of the BOLO. What the gently caress man?!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Narcissus1916 posted:

Loved season one, but Season two drags like a sumbitch.

Finally got into a great episode that ended with so many promising threads - Dom's Chinese Adventure! Angela and Darlene Team up! Elliot hangs out with Craig Robinson for some reason!

And then the next episode starts with a seven-loving-teen minute riff on Full House.

Goddamnit.

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier watching a movie from the Jason Bourne series?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Between the season premiere of both South Park and American Horror Story tonight as well, I'm actually okay with that. Let's spread out this goodness just a bit longer.

Lord knows I'll be clamoring for good TV again after a week of AHS :suicide:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress is going on indeed

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I do not even have a loving guess as to what kind of poo poo Angela has gotten herself into

e: she said "What the gently caress is going on" about 5 seconds after I did

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe someone could compare this season to True Detective Season 2. That opinion is so wrong it's offensive to me

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

n.. posted:

Trenton and Mobley are in prison, right? Seemed that way to me.

There's no way Leon got out, especially after killing those dudes.

That's an interesting thought, but I think a few things from the scene exclude that as a possibility. They mentioned "being on break" which suggests they really were at work, Mobley mentioned getting an apartment cheap, and a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. Also, I doubt that a man and a woman would be able to eat lunch together in prison.

I'm sure the Dark Army could easily pull some strings to get Leon out, they've certainly proven that they could do much worse than that if and when they want to.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DaveKap posted:

Murderer. Not murder.

Did we ever learn who was behind that? Was it really just a lone conspiracy theorist or was that a cover used by the Dark Army?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Rami Malek channeling Christian Slater is my favorite new thing from this season. Elliot just completely disappears when he starts carrying himself like that. Proves how talented Rami really is as an actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

After a exhaustive search I have discovered that Rami Malek does not like to smile in pictures.

No problem, here ya go

• Locked thread