Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I'm on Team Reality Simulation. Most likely White Rose has the technology to simulate a reality for someone so you can live in whatever world you want to live in (personal Matrix's) but I wouldn't rule out they discovered the world is a simulation and how to alter it.

How many episodes are in this season? Just eight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Harminoff posted:

So San Junipero?
Along those lines, but to align with what's been hinted at so far it would have to be more than a simple shared digital immortality. So if you want to live in a simulation in which you live in New York, you're rich, the hack never happened, and your mom is alive you can while someone else can live in a simulation in which your bitch-rear end mom is dead.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Esmail did a long interview with Alan Sepinwall about this week's episode. My favorite bit:

quote:

Then once the episode shifts POV to Angela, we were going to do our first edit there. And then we decided to opt to keep the take going. We discovered that with Angela, if we just shifted the camerawork from Steadicam that would reflect the floating feel that reflects Elliot’s fogginess, once we got with Angela, we’d go to handheld, and it would reflect Angela’s more kinetic storyline of trying to break into the room and get into this air-gapped computer. When we figured out that, we realized we didn’t really need an edit point to shift POV, that it would, in fact, be more interesting to keep the long take going and shift the camera style and camera movement. That’s how it evolved from this conversation about real-time storytelling to how we filmed it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Hey Thread

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6403396/?ref_=tt_cl_t13
She's the same girl who interviewed Angela in Whiterose's room. Welp, here's your loving time travel, thread!

Edit: Or she was drugged and we weren't seeing reality during that interview or who the gently caress else knows. Honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if at this point Angela's the insane person and Elliot's the sane one.
One of the writers talked about that scene at the time.

quote:

Interesting! Okay, forgotten. The girl asking the questions looks like a young Angela. Coincidental, or deliberate?

I think it’s safe to say that most things we do on this show are deliberate. The notion of “doubles” is prevalent in both Mr. Robot and Lolita. In our show, we have Elliot and Mr. Robot, who are two sides of the same coin. I think it was part of Whiterose’s plan to have Angela confront a young girl who looked very much like her. Even in Lolita, you have the characters of Humbert and Quilty who function as doubles in throughout the story.
If Angela was interrogated by what she recognized as her younger self, rather than just a girl who looked an awful lot like her, that means Angela is an unreliable narrator or they have some way to alter reality, access alternate realities, or the like.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

CloFan posted:

Good episode, what else is new. I kept wondering if the kid was real, but by the end I think he was. There was one scene in particular, when they were walking by one of the '71 cyber bombings' memorial with two army guys standing out and the kid shows Elliot he can balance. They didn't give him a second glance, like they would a crazy person talking to himself and stopping to stare at nothing.
After noticing the kid left the movie theater Elliot asks the guy at the concessions stand if he saw the kid and the guy said yes. So the only way the kid could be fake would be if Elliot was having fake conversations with real people, or the concessions guy was fake too.

also things from Reddit I feel are worth sharing:

quote:

The 'wishing game' is basically an analogy for how angela fell for WR's deceit, wishing she could bring her mother and everyone who died back, realizing that she liked the process of wishing more than the actual result (which is that none of her wishes came true, of course)

quote:

I love the lollipop parallel between Dom and Elliot

quote:

My favorite is that the keys to undoing the hack were there all along, just unknown. The keys to get in the door to Trenton/Mohammad's house were there all along, Elliot just didn't know about them.

quote:

The number 812 appears twice in the episode.
The dealer's briefcase code.
The lingering shot of a hotel door.
Could be something, don't know if it's the same place Elliot bought the Morphine.
---
There's a famous Fellini film called "8 1/2", Rotten Tomatoes has it at 32 in their top 100 "arthouse" movies of all time... a student of film like Esmail would definitely be familiar with it. He's also cited Fellini as one of his favorite directors of all time., and that episode felt Felliniesque.
---
The name of the hotel at the 812 street address was "Hotel Cabiri...."--undoubtedly a reference to Fellini's Nights of Cabiria.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Feenix posted:

Someone above mentioned that Pryce took the deal b cause he was smitten with Angela. Do we all think that? While that is possible, I read that scene is “this is part of the plan, we need to go to Allsafe because <nefarious hidden reasons for 5/9>.
I also read it as him being smitten by Angela.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

I guess I need to read Lolita. I read a lot but have just never gotten around to that book. I don’t get the reference here at all. Isn’t it about some old guy that falls in love with and courts a young girl? How is that a good book to read.
Lolita is a beautifully written novel about child molestation written from the perspective of the pedophile. It's disturbingly common for people to not realize he's an unreliable narrator and to agree that 12 year old girl was totally trying to seduce him.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Dessel posted:

I realized way late into the season that season 3 had started and let me just say:

The fifth episode has to be some sort of masterpiece in cinematography. I've never seen these kind of continuous/panning shots in TV before. I was actually moved how well it was shot, literally almost in tears. The episode in general is stellar and captures an incident like it perfectly. Probably my favourite tv series episode ever.
Esmail did an interview with Sepinwall about the fifth episode. Sepinwall cites a bunch of TV shows that recently did it that you could check out, plus the unforgettable Triangle from the X-Files.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Dumb question: I have every episode of this show on my DVR, and I'm not sure I want to read a bunch of spoilery posts to find out if the opinion on this show is good or not. Is it still worth watching at this point? From the beginning to now? Or is it one of those shows like Glee where the thread is hate-watching and I should walk away after the first season?

I know this is a really awkward and subjective ask, but basically I want to know if it's good or not because my DVR is slowly collecting a lot of episodes of this show and I'll watch em eventually if you goons think it's great or clear out a shitload if not.
No, goon enjoyment of Mr. Robot is real and sincere. It has not degenerated into a modern Dexter.

• Locked thread