Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Elliot's world (and hacking) is corresponding to Slater's world, him taking down EvilCorp will do something electronic in the real world. (Like take down Walmart.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

precision posted:

actually I think Krysta is the one who's had her memories wiped or messed with

why would she treat him again knowing he hacked her ex?

She says at some point that she was only willing if Elliot talked to her more and stopped lying. That sounds like something a mental health professional with a fair amount of dedication and care for her patients might do. Sets boundaries, opens Elliot up out of guilt, and keeps him from going untreated.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

precision posted:

Back in season 1, Tyrell's wife said some things about "being part of this family" that I thought could have been interpreted as her being from NWO Royalty and him being just a "regular guy", but as I said I think that was a dropped plot line.

This is peak TVIV not getting obvious poo poo. She means her and the baby and him, not the new world order or whatever.

(Tbh I've come up with worse)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

hope and vaseline posted:

Mmmm. Thinking of Elliott in those Darlene cutoffs.

Post/Username Combo is delicious.

Anyway. I've been re-watching the series as well, and I don't think Real Elliot's Dad was abusive, but him mom sure as poo poo was. The way she talks to him in the post-funeral scene is really loving brutal, and I think from the way the camera moves we're meant to think she left him there. Not to mention the one flashback/real-life mesh when he deals with Bill where she's basically screaming at him for having emotions.

Also, Bill is one of the people Elliot thinks of while in prison. I hope he gets to make amends at some point. :smith:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

But what about the :siren: internet police?! :siren:

Anyway, since I haven't said so yet, drat good episode. Felt like season one to me, which I think was somewhat better than s2, but not massively so.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

What if Whiterose is actually... Darlene???

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Fried Watermelon posted:

The best part of the episode was the amount of contempt and disdain in Price's voice when he talks about BITCOIN

Price posts on Something Awful, Elliot is on Reddit, Darlene writes long posts on Tumblr, Mobly edits Wikipedia. Turns out the entire show... is the web. Think about it, maaaan.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

SalTheBard posted:

My ship name is Tyrelliot

When Leon was told the literal used cars salesman to get Elliot laid, all I could think was "I know the right dude to do it."

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

beep boop why emotions i am nerd big bang boop

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Dom officially queer. :getin:

Also Darlene, I guess.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It could also just be a dumb internet joke, a deliberate mislabel. God knows that I've seen torrents offering gold and containing goat(se).

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Angela is gonna have to "Dark Army fuckup" herself with the gun in that bag, isn't she?

Great episode, very nice. Would've liked more Mr. Robot in this show called Mr. Robot.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I don't get while the show thinks Angela doesn't know her way around a computer. Like, she's probably not wunderkind supernerd Elliot level, but she worked at a computer security company for a long while. Even if she became management quickly there's still some technical knowhow to do that job.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Here's an idea I came up with stoned:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko%27s_basilisk
There's this "thought experiment" that goes that, in the far future, a highly developed AI creates the technology to simulate long-dead humans using remaining historical data and magic determinism. (It then goes on to say that the AI is Good but also torments anyone who didn't help the AI come into existence who knew it could happen. It's pretty dumb.)

But what if that's what Whiterose is selling? "Help me build a computer that can recreate anyone from memory or mementos, like a souped up version of the sexbot in Black Mirror." It fits thematically with S1 showing how much of our daily lives are recording online, but can also be subverted by the positive bias in most people's social media profiles. And if it can recreate people, it can also duplicate them forever, no matter the time since they were duplicated. (And, hence, help Whiterose get around her mortality.)

e:

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I guess they decided to end the plotline where white rose is a lady. The last few episodes she’s looked pretty manly.

I'm 99% sure that Whiterose is supposed to be a trans women, a type of person not very welcome in the Chinese government. Just because she hasn't been alone or with accepting people, and hence is in "guy mode" as trans women call it, doesn't mean she isn't daydreaming about dresses and pickles.

T-man fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 17, 2017

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Is there a reason why no one is talking about the fact that Darlene is Angela? That's what that scene with them at the end meant.

Am I the only one who got this? It's such a big deal for the show that I can't understand why everybody isn't talking about it if they got it.

Wow, you're as bad at watching television as you are detecting snatchers, aren't you?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

What if Mr. Robot is what Elliot really looks like, he only sees himself as a pasty nerd. He's actually 40 and rougishly good looking.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DaveKap posted:

By the way, do you think people had Trump signs on their front lawn in September of 2015?

As a former Arizonian: yes.

Anyway, I'm going to miss Trenton even if her part was pretty much pointless after S1. I wish she and Darlene (aka elliot aka angela aka flipper) could've gayed up the show together.

Also, we have pretty strong proof now that Minister Zhang IS Whiterose, since we cut to her while she's owning Price. It's almost as though a character being a trans woman is more likely that timewarp multiverse fictive headmate theory!!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

pepito sanchez posted:

what the gently caress happened with this season?

super hacker is schizophrenic like no schizo ever acts.

stupid blonde acts stupid in every stupid way possible. revenge motives aside, it's stupid beyond belief.

chinese "she"-chinese was acting ridiculously.

2015 was apparently the worst timeline, where obama and fbi director gently caress-me-in-the-rear end comey or comedy or whatever position that dude held were motivated by... something?

it's the poo poo that gets me the worst. there's no real motive for any character acting the way they do for any action they perform. it just sort of... happens and you have to use your imagination.

i want every protagonist and antagonist to die because they're all the most idiotic things imaginable. i was actually hoping for angela and redhead_fbi_01 to die in a building explosion. and angela is my mom's first name.

**triggered as fck yo**

Source your quotes please.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Volmarias posted:

It's not like pollution stops this in the third world now anyway.

My guess is that it's so that WR can better exert secrecy over their project (can't send UN inspectors to "China") but at the end of the day it's a show about hackerman and his hacker friends (including Angela, who went from "can't figure out how to type one command for the femtocell, this is really hard everyone :(", to extracting a HSM key under considerable pressure). There have been a couple of stupid incongruous things already, and at best we just don't have the information we need to make the connection. So, sit back and enjoy the show :unsmith:

I mean, the HSB had extensive instructions she could read off of, unlike the FBI hack. I might not be a Super Hacker, but I can follow walkthroughs on how to update my motherboard's firmware without l33t skillz.

Looking forward to learn that WR wants to go to the Congo for the weather, and literally no other reason.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

gently caress

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

tomapot posted:

Do people really cosplay BTTF like Rocky Horror?

Nerds exist, ergo yes.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

How is this a mixed feeling episode? The kid is totally another manifestation that'll crush Elliot when he realizes it was a way for him/Mr. Robot to avoid suicide. (The lesbian shoe scene + some of the self consciousness around gay manifesting in the lobby thanks to stereotype drug dealer.) He might've talked to Angela, but she's still seriously hosed up after doing something drat near unforgivable. And our once cleaned up hero has a big bag of morphine to get re addicted with. This is all just salt on the wound, made for worrying be Elliot going back to bad blackmail hacking habits.

ETA: STOP BEING OPTIMISTIC YOU FUCKS

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

PhazonLink posted:

this is such bs fanservice bait.

Believe it or not but lesbians exist for non-sexy reasons. :shrug:

I'm just glad Mr. Robot is slowly getting more and more gay. By the end of the season Price better be making out with Tyrell.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Snak posted:

Is that movie even still happening?

The gay agenda demands it, everyone knows we control Hollywood.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The name of tonight’s episode is “shutdown -r” so I’m expecting at the very least an ambiguosly sci fi cliffhanger

Shouldn't it really be shutdown -rf? \goonjoke

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Can I just say that I love this show's inclusion of queer characters? We've got two live lesbians, one dead gay dude (whose death was entirely unrelated to being queer) the quasi-antagonist is a trans woman of color, and none of this is played up for diversity bingo points in the show. Heck, Darlene's new pal is a trans sex worker, and she was introduced with dignity and pointed out some of Darlene's bullshit. I'm not generally a watcher of network television, is this level of inclusion common nowadays?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

nickmeister posted:

He said a lot of the weird philosopher stuff after he got thrown in prison by eliot. About how they their destinies were intertwined and they were destined to meet again or something. He's probably back with another scheme that he wants to use eliots hacker skills for.

I'm imaging some big fake out where all he wants is for Elliot to set up his wifi.

Not like super hacker wifi, a linksys box with "BRAVETRAVELS6969420" as the SSID.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Elliot doesn't actually exist, mystery solved lock thread tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

maskenfreiheit posted:

I like this theory. Maybe not the specifics, but =they could probably hand wave the science (something something quantum!)

Another alternative is White Rose has or is building a quantum computer. With that, you could cut through public key encryption, which is used to secure many communications. (For example, the password to your forums account. Or your bank account. Or your email)

Also, she could simply want the Congo for rare earth minerals. It's well known they're the limiting factor in a lot of high tech things, and China has been making strides to controlling them in the real world.

dear lowtax: please implement quantum mechanics proof security to protect my shitposting, tia.

• Locked thread