Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Just finished watching the first season after a friend recommended it to me. Love it. The cinematography is fantastically confident and bold, and I'm loving the eclectic soundtrack and homages to the show's inspirations - ie. Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, etc.

This might sound weird but my favourite scene + music is probably when Tyrell strangled the wife. Jesus, what a scene. FKA twigs - Two Weeks was an inspired choice, I think. The combination showed really well how and why strangulation (with hands!) can be so often a crime of passion and the passions it is driven by are so close to loving. I mean, sex = killing with passion as the driving force is not new, but the way it was shown in Mr. Robot was just, really well done. And FKA twigs, i don't even know how to describe how great her music is or how well I think that song fits in not just with the murder scene but also within the show itself, like, I'm not a good enough writer for that, but it was... ecstatically filthy, as one reviewer put it.

One little thing that stood out me as I was watching Mr. Robot is how good the blocking or positioning of the characters is during dialogue. It's in line with Elliot's state of mind, his feelings toward other characters, and consistent with where his attention lies.

For example:

Shayla has a short conversation with Vera. Elliot walks up as Vera is driven away.

Shayla's talking to him but he's still focused on Vera. Notice how she slides into frame as her words register with Elliot.

They're very close together here, to the point where Elliot is almost obscured.

Probably because she's important to him.

What's weird in the closeups of Elliot's conversations though, is that he and the other person are usually placed on the same side of the frame. Usually, shows and films I've watched has one character on the left (or on top, bottom, whatever) and the other, the opposite (right, bottom, etc) when they're in dialogue. Because even though they're not in the same "shot", they are talking to each other, and usually people face each other when they do. When this rule is broken, pay attention to the context of the scene because the director is probably trying to tell you something.

Elliot on the right.

Shayla on the left.

This happens all the time with Elliot. His mind is almost continuously thinking about something else - he can't focus on one thing, and so he's just not there when you try to talk to him. Elliot in this conversation just wants his drugs. He might still be thinking of Vera, or of fsociety. He's just always thinking.

He talks past her. In his mind, the conversation is a foregone conclusion - he will get his morphine.

When someone does grab Elliot's attention, the shift in positioning is immediate and obvious.

He's not even looking at Gideon here. Actually most of the characters don't pay attention to Gideon, haha.

But wait.

Wut.

fsociety. Now that's important to Elliot.

edit: My work experience includes a lot with people with disabilities, and it's refreshing to have a show this focused on a guy with mental disabilities and drug problems - not to mention a trans person and at least a couple of people who are gay/bisexual, and to have it not be a big deal.

Skizzzer fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Shoren posted:

Another really good example of this is the conversation between Tyrell and the CTO after the dinner party. They're in a conference room with the CTO sitting down yet commanding his entire shot while Tyrell is in the distance for his shot, barely in frame. It does a great job of conveying the relative power between the two of them, that the CTO knows what Tyrell is up to, and pretty clearly indicates the beginning of Tyrell's fall. I need to track down some screen shots of this one.

e: vvvvv That's the one! I love how intentional yet subtle these shots are. Everything is shot so well.

Yeah! I like how the show hints how the under-estimated people or people we assume to be incompetent got to their positions. Scott and Colby both demonstrate qualities justifying their positions, imo, surprising both us and the characters they're talking to.

sticklefifer posted:

I'm glad you posted about that because I definitely picked up on the framing during conversations. There's one scene in I think the wh1ter0se episode where both sides of a conversation are on the right edge of the screen, and another early on where (I think) Angela and Elliot are talking on the street and they're face to face but the framing shows them facing different directions in wide shots. I think it's meant to be deliberately disorienting. Deliberate axis-breaking is the kind of thing Kubrick was into, so I'm wondering how much hidden meaning is behind all the rest of the shows in this show.

Cool. I haven't a Kubrick film before, besides 2001 a long time ago. It is noticeably disorienting I agree, and something I noticed more and more as I kept watching. Other scenes I had in mind was Tyrell and Scott's power struggle, Angela and Colby in Colby's house, and Elliot and Karen when he finally opens up to her. I'm loving the wide framing of the show just in general - it's a pleasure to watch.

There's also a funny scene I couldn't find involving Elliot and someone else. Camera's on Elliot, he's distracted but trying to pay attention. He's in focus and everything else is blurry, but you can just make out a large woman (possibly man) in a BRIGHT PINK shirt crossing back and forth behind him, mirroring his own attempts to focus despite distraction. Every time the camera cuts to Elliot though there's that bright pink man running around in the background. It's funny, but it's also important. We're supposed to be distracted too.

I'm with you on the twists thing. The show's not about the twists. The show's about Elliot. We could see that something was off about Mr. Robot (and so could Elliot, really) but we were more aware of it because hey, we're not schizophrenic and we're not always high. I think someone said in this thread that the "audience" or us is a character in the show. I agree with that too. Elliot created us, just like how he created Mr. Robot. Why? Because he's lonely.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
That's great news. I might pick up season 1 if the word is good.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

AwkwardKnob posted:

Just finished season 1 with my girlfriend. My favorite new show of last year, easily. It's like Fight Club meets Enemy of the State.

I picked up on the reveal with Mr Robot fairly early because of the way certain scenes played out. Elliot would order the same drink as him, or conveniently be the only one to physically interact with the world, things like that. I picked up on similar things way back when I was still watching Dexter and they did it with Tom Hanks' son mutilating bodies into angel tableaus or whatever. This was a lot more satisfying however, because Dexter was relying on that non-twist to be shocking, whereas it was more of a means to an end on this show.

Our biggest forehead-wrinkler coming out of the last episode is the conversation Elliot has with Tyrell's wife outside her apartment. Neither my gf nor I think that Elliot/Tyrell are the same person because of all the points people have already pointed out, but the way she spoke to Elliot was definitely strange. I can't tell if she recognized him or not. When she asked him his name and said she'd taken up enough of his time, it was like ...what the gently caress?

She freaks me out, in general. She's like... impossibly beautiful. What loving nationality is she? Those eyes.

She was like a snake, from what I remember. Contrast that with the time of day they were shooting and the environment around them - incredibly unsettling, I agree. Great actress, great character.

The show is great at conveying loneliness even when the characters are surrounded by people.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Collateral posted:

Don't you think it was a bit loud though? I know they wanted to hammer home the message, but still. Other music earlier on was too loud as it drowned out the dialogue.

I like the loud soundtrack. IMO, if the show is from Elliot's perspective - which it is - it makes sense that the music is sometimes too loud and drowns everything out.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

crowoutofcontext posted:

What y'all think about WhiteRoses spiel about alternative realities, other versions of one's self and a timeline where 5/9 never occurred? Was this just more quirky characterization for the already bizarre nemesis or do you think the show is actually inching toward exploring these ideas more explicitly? We've had a bunch of shows recently that seem bring us to some sort of supernatural/philosophical brink yet refrain immediately after crossing the threshold of realism (True Detective, Fargo).

Ever since Mr.Robot had that flashback where Romero describe the arcade as some sort of "Vortex of Evil" I've been wondering how far there going to go with potentially supernatural inter-dimensional poo poo. It will probably be just something the character's mention in passing.

I think that was more about white Rose's gender identity and probably a commentary on China's views on such said identities than anything like true detective.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

Really? I thought it was because she was growing to like Dom and felt bad about setting her up along with all the FBI people.

The whole "What if 5/9 never happened?" only seems about her gender identity on surface, the real implication being "If 5/9 never happened I wouldn't have to murder you."

Sure, you could read it like that. I find her characterization to be intentionally ambivalent - hard for me to say how much empathy she truly feels. I don't think she really cares either way about killing someone. She's a lot like Tyrells wife I feel.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's part of Angela's inner rationalizing. She has value, ECORP recognizes it, and they like her. Time and time again she's has poo poo thrown back at her by ECORP people but if she shows them her value it's bound to make them like her.

Also she wants to get access those files but her 'inner truth' definitely factors into her actions.

I have to disagree with the people here who are saying Angela misstepped in the last episode. Don't forget what happened earlier with Dom - Angela, Darlene, and f-society are beginning to realize that they're in over their head without Elliot, and specifically to Angela, that one of them is already under suspicion with the FBI. Why is she under suspicion? She stepped away from Allsafe to E-corp one week before 5/9 - one week before the hack. She then gets noticed on a restricted floor, where she's not supposed to be, right before the FBI is hacked.

Angela needs a reason for her move to E-corp. Her moves immediately after her meet with Dom are laughably transparent. She's made her motives clear to her execs. That being said, I still don't know her real reason for working at E-Corp. She also must have a reason for switching to the Risk Division, besides what's been shown already.

Also loving the cinematography. Interesting to see the contrast in Angela this last episode and the last time Price asked her out. Also noticing Angela seems to only dress in black and white now. 1 = white; 0 = black?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I don't think the show's going to start introducing time travel, BTTF music notwithstanding. Then again, I also thought Angela had a plan before she got caught up with the FBI.

ECorp and Mr. Robot are not together. Season 1 and 2 made it pretty clear that Mr. Robot and the Dark Army are collaborators and conspiring against ECorp. Don't know what the DA's end game is, but it probably has something to do with world domination through control of the economy.

I think phase 1 was basically the 5/9 hack. Hack ECorp, turn money useless. I think it's reasonable to assume that when the value of money turns to basically nothing, massive organizations like government or ECorp would be one of the last survivors. I think it's also reasonable to assume that in such a situation, these organizations would gladly accept any help to stay in power - such as a massive infusion of money. Phase 2 likely has to do with the 2 trillion dollar loan.

ECorp and Whiterose obviously had a prior relationship to the beginning of the show. Unsure of how their relationship works however. Also not sure why ECorp didn't question about DAs involvement with 5/9 - as a premier hacker group, they would be one of the first suspects no? Maybe Price voiced this concern in a previous episode, but I can't think of it.

Elliot wants to bring down ECorp. I think he/Mr. Robot realized from the beginning that the hack wouldn't be enough to bring down ECorp. I also don't think the DA would have aligned with Mr. Robot if he didn't have a plan with a reasonable chance of success. I think they both anticipated ECorp asking for a loan, and Phase 2 has to do with that.

Final note on Whiterose and your comment ("what if [...] Mr. Robot has been supporting ECorp and/or China all along?) - I don't think he gives a poo poo about China. He cares about time, and according to his conversation with Angela, changing the world. Quite similar to Elliot and to Phillip Price, actually.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

If ECorp and Mr. Robot aren't working together, then Price has been playing Mr. Robot all along since making paper currency worthless has been Price's endgame this entire time.

Has it? I mean, he said so in the last episode, but is it clear that it was his plan before the hack, or after?

Also, concerning Price in regards to ECorp and the Dark Army, why would ECorp ever publicly bring them up? Price has been working with White Rose this entire time.

He has. Their relationship is not doing so well these days, according to Whiterose in the last episode and as evidenced by Price's and Whiterose's last few discussions. I also didn't ask why ECorp didn't publicly bring them up - but why wouldn't ECorp or Price bring that up to Whiterose directly? It's just something I found strange, and a point to your argument that Whiterose, Ecorp, and Mr. Robot are acting together.

I'm having a hard time reconciling Mr. Robot's supposed desire to bring down business with what we've seen going on, especially if everything that has been going on has been part of his design overall. How would he justify ECorp creating and handling the US digital currency and China continue to use US citizens as lab rats or whatever they're being subjected to? This wasn't just happenstance, he specifically designed whatever Phase Two is, so things are moving along as he wanted.

We don't know what Phase 2 is so I can't answer that question. I agree that "things are moving along as he wanted," but I don't know yet what the end goal of Phase 2 is - or even what Phase 2 is supposed to be.

Skizzzer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 15, 2016

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
music.

goddammit you guys are making some of these theories believable

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Snak posted:

This gimmick almost borders on obnoxious, but I think it's really effective. It has been used throughout the show, and it does a lot of things for me.

First of all, it does a good job of making characters seem alone, small, or vulnerable. They are talking to someone, but that someone is not on the screen, and it's like they are so close but so far away.

Secondly, putting these character in in corners like this forces you to actively look at them a lot. Most shows will frame characters is easy and predictable places, so that looking back and forth between them in shot-reverse-shot is very natural. This show feels like the opposite, like my eyes have to find the character on the screen every time. And It's not just the same corners all the time. When Price is talking the senator (or whoever) in this episode, there have got to 5 different angles it cuts to, placing him in different parts of the frame. One of the centers a portrait of Teddy Roosevelt while price talks in the corner.

I really like the cinematography in this show.

There's been some good posts on this during season 1. For example,

DaveKap posted:

Yeah, I am constantly noticing the amazing camera work on this show. Just check out the Tyrell v Scott scene. Scott's sitting down most of the time while BatemanTyrell tries to talk down to him but the entire time, Scott has a command over the area of the frame.

And although Tyrell starts off with about a quarter of the frame, as soon as Scott admits he knows that Tyrell wanted CTO, Tyrell shrinks to the left of the frame.

Tyrell begins to walk away but Scott pulls out the coup de grâce that he knows about Tyrell sneaking into the bathroom.

He's immediately shrunk down into a tiny, fearful man. His plans failed, he's an embarrassment, and Scott will keep him in the shitter for his stupid stunts. Tyrell's the bad guy of the show yet this frame still makes you feel sorry for him.

Also note the changes in depth of field, I can't get enough of how well done this cinematography is! I look forward to the Every Frame a Painting video that will inevitably go over the first season of this show.

In addition to what DaveKap said, note that Tyrell and Scott are positioned on the same side of the frame - subtly indicating how they're in conflict and fighting for the same thing. When Tyrell "loses", note how small and alone he appears.

I made a similar post with screenshots but I can't find it anymore. Oh well. I feel that Esmail's framing is bolder in season 2 than 1 (maybe not, I should rewatch s.1) and in particular, he's been centering characters more as well as displaying them symmetrically (eg., angela and price in his boardroom in front of the huge painting, Dom in the recent episode). I also liked what was said about the 'inconspicuous man and woman' - how in Angela's scenes, it often feels like someone is watching us rather than just us watching her. In the pictures linked to Reddit, the man and woman are in background looking at Angela, who we can say is in this midground. We are in the foreground, so it looks like someone is staring at us.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Feel like the taxi scene was deliberately shot to make it ambiguous as to whether it was Tyrell talking to the cab driver or Elliot, unaware that he's Tyrell, speaking to the driver.

That being said, Tyrell has to be real. None of the scenes with Joanna, either Tyrell + Joanna, or Elliot + Joanna, would make sense. Also, Tyrell has had scenes with other characters who've interacted with Elliot - he has to be real.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I want the finale to air just so that we can stop talking about alternate realities.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Mr. Powers posted:

Tyrell is both alive and dead until we observe the episode.

:negative:

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
after the credits

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I thought this season and finale was amazing. Different from season 1, sure, but great nonetheless. Disagree with the assertions on bad writing, framing, whatever.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Don't worry folks, no speculation here, just clarification. Put the tinfoil away.

Just FYI the story trounces through the entire summer this season, so there's no clear indication as to how much time is passing between scenes at all. It's entirely possible Elliot is meeting Tyrell weeks after Angela meets Whiterose. There's no telling how much time went by when he was lucid dreaming.

Relative to the rest of television this is still the greatest show being put out. I get real negative in my posts only because Season 1 was rather damned perfect and Season 2 is lacking. As mentioned, it's the first half of Act 2 for a super-extended movie. It's going to have a major growing pain. It's just unfortunate that it is not translating well the way Act 1 translated perfectly.

Sorry, but this is your opinion. You (and others in this thread) haven't established in any convincing way how season 2 was not "translated" perfectly. I struggle to see how you make such an assertion without even knowing Esmail's end game.

DaveKap posted:

As for the framing comments I made, that's less subjective opinion and more objective analysis. Watch an "every frame a painting" video sometime to understand the difference, it's pretty entertaining and you learn a lot! :)

No, it's not. If you are asserting that your analysis of the framing and cinematography pales from season 2 to 1, please demonstrate how. It's not enough to simple say that it's bad, and then to follow up with saying that your bad opinion is objective.

Thank you for the recommendation. It is one of my favourite youtube series. You watching it too doesn't substantiate anything you're saying. If you want to say you're disappointed with the cinematography in season 2, and you want others to agree with you, you need to show how and why it fails, like Tony Zhou does.

DaveKap posted:

Another thing worth noting:
Do you folks all remember how there was some buzz at the end of Season 1 about how Season 2 would return to Shayla's murderer? Like Elliot would eventually find him? Or he would return to go after Elliot? Or somehow it would be re-integrated into the plot? It feels good and bad that, at the time, I was insisting to friends that it would literally never come back up again. Good because I totally called that right, bad because it would have been a great way to fill in some of that 7 episode jail time with a solid call back that would have made Shayla's plot less of what I have now identified it as being: Filler.

Spergatory posted:

I don't think a television show exists without some form of filler. Filler itself is not a negative, and used well can really help to round out a setting and characters. Some of Avatar: The Last Airbender's most powerful and emotionally affecting episodes are technically filler. The problem is not when there is filler, but when there is too much of it, or when it's not spaced out enough. Shows have to carefully balance filler with plot advancement in order to keep audiences invested and feeling like they are going somewhere. Spending eight episodes of a twelve episode season on a filler plot is not a very good balance.

Can we stop talking about anime? Was season 2 of the Wire filler?

Season 1 was about Elliot. Season 2 is about Elliot. None of it was filler.

SpaceAceJase posted:

Angela's birthday is one day before Elliot's father dies. In the first episode, Elliot is invited to her birthday drinks, but lurks around outside instead of going in.

He gets on the subway and meets Mr Robot for the first time, on the anniversary of his dad's death.

I like this.

I wonder if any one else has noticed the similarities between Elliot and Whiterose? Consider:

Both have 2 personalities.
Both are obsessed with time. Rose keeps track of it; Elliot keeps losing track of it.
Both are leaders of hacker groups.
Both think Angela is important.
Both want Ecorp to fail.

Yet we haven't seen them interact in a significant way.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Elliot: People think their worship is some key to happiness. That’s just how he owns you.
(S02E03)

Gods

Jesus?

Or the Devil?

Price: Perhaps you find it as fascinating as I do. How a man can change the whole world with a bullet in the right place.
(S02E03)

Darlene: Dude, you’re freaking me out. I mean, don’t get me wrong, taking them down would -

Elliot: - change the world.
(S02E04)

Believers

Whiterose: I don’t want your proof. I want your belief.

Angela: Belief in what?

Whiterose: Do you ever think, that if you imagined or believed in something that it would come true? Simply by will?

Angela: Yes. Actually, I did believe that. But I’m slowly having to admit that’s just not the real world. Even if I want it to be.

Whiterose: I guess it all depends on what your definition of real is.

Elliot: Mind awake. Body asleep.
(S02E11)

Believer:

Believer:

Believer:

Believer:

Judah:

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Well if you just want to grossly simplify the plot of this show, I'd love to get your thoughts on Game of Thrones.

It is okay, I liked the last season.

Spergatory posted:

Fine, if you don't want me to call it filler, then I'll call it "extremely poorly paced character development stretched out over an unnecessarily large number of episodes that by and large doesn't seem to have changed anything very much." You can hold this show up as an example of television perfection all you want, but there's a reason it's lost like half its audience since season 2 started.

I would argue that it has a lot of relevance to the show's themes and plot. I am not holding this season of Mr. Robot up as an example of television perfection. The reason I brought up season 2 of the Wire is because S02 of the Wire was also different from it's previous season. Most people - including myself - didn't enjoy season 2 on the first run because we were expecting a continuation of season 1. However, when viewed in the context of the complete series, I think a lot of people view season 2 more favourably, for many different reasons (there's a whole thread on the Wire so I won't get into it, and I doubt I could illustrate adequately anyway). I think the two respective seasons are similar because both show creators already know how each season will go and how they fit in together. Do I think Esmail held back a little more than he needed to? Sure, yup I do. But I'm happy to wait and see what he does. I'm not as concerned about plot as it seems some people here are. And that's fine if you do.

If we end up plot-wise not much farther forward than where we are now by the end of season 3, you might hear me complaining too. Not yet, though. I really did find this season incredibly interesting.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Both work in security.

Rose recalls a sister that doesn't exist, Elliot does not recall a sister that does exist.

Both put the life of their pet fish in Angela's hand!

I did find this conversation interesting (noticed this when I was grabbing screenshots):

quote:

Whiterose: I fail to see the logic. Why put all your faith in her when we have other options?

Price: Yes, yes, we could blow up the whole Western hemisphere, but… you know me, I’m old-fashioned. I always opt for the simpler play. Occam’s razor and all that.

Whiterose: Be that as it may. It is a slower path and time is of the essence for them. I want to remind you that closing the plant is not an option.

Price: And how many minutes have you allotted for this phone call?

[…]

Whiterose: Have you spoken to the administration?

Price: Mm. We’re not there yet. President isn’t desperate enough. We need the pressure to cook a little more.

[…]

You’re the time master. You should know that while Rome may have burned in a day, it wasn’t built in one. This will take time.

[…]

Whiterose: Looks like he’s opting for his Ecoin strategy.
(S02E04)

I think the her is referring to Angela, and might be what tips Whiterose off to Angela in the first place. I don't know who them refers to.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Your post is weird but this particular connection is a very good one. That bullet casing in FunSociety has got to be more important than it seems.

I'm struggling to put this into words adequately but I think Whiterose is building towards some kind of AI/human utopia ("mind awake, body asleep"; Mr. Robot), Elliot perhaps toward the same goal or a revolution of some sort, and Price I guess to be more powerful than God?

All three have God complexes. All three are working together in unclear ways. The Watership Township facility is at the center of it.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Started reading Neuromancer which has been on my reading list for a while now thanks to whoever quoted the first sentence earlier in the thread. Bout halfway through and really enjoying it so far.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Is anime-chat what inevitably happens when a TV IV thread goes through its seasonal fallowness?

I dunno, the filler chat started around episode 8.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
They might've. Wasn't he cleared of charges? He shows up in a scene with Price this season - looks like he's still working.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
The same scene where Price gives Congo away to China? I guess I missed that it was a flashback.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Boywhiz88 posted:

Holy poo poo. That was a flashback. Like the vast majority of opening scenes this season.

Yeah, I'm looking at the scene again - Price gives China Congo in exchange for the financial bailout of E-Corp. Why do you think this is a flashback?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Well it's all filler anyway so we might as well stop talking about it :colbert:

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
thirded

too lazy to check, when does s3 air?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Quantum state existence and alternate realities is more likely than him just being a rich and powerful crossdresser that doesn't sleep much? :psyduck:

I really don't understand why creative exposition is getting interpreted as time travel and alternate realities in a show that does a pretty good job to try to represent it's main theme (hacking) in a factual way.

I refuse to believe they will delve into some theoretical quantum physics-esque sci-fi/matrix time travel nonsense, and derail the show into 12 Monkeys territory. The writing has been so good thus far, and to completely bounce the plot off into some What the Bleep Do We Know level fuckery would be a massive letdown.

That would be akin to Westworld ending with everything being the dream of a cyborg who isn't self aware, just programmed to dream.

Yeah, I was waffling back and forth at the end of S2, but this episode I think pointed to the possibility that there's not going to be some kind of time travel or parallel dimension conclusion to the series.

it's still unclear what Whiterose's end goal is, but I think her plan for ECorp - "it'll be as if they never existed" - is a metaphor for basically, destroying them completely root and stem. Angela's certainly receptive to that, especially in light of her speech at the end of this episode. Ditto for Mr. Robot. Elliot has his own reasons (f-society) but I'm sure wants ECorp gone too.

The show has always been rooted in reality. our perspective is warped because of the forced perspective of Elliot. The extradiegetic music and narrative devices/tricks stemming from that has always been an unique strength of the show.

and i've also always loved the cinematography and framing of the show too. premier was great!

the narrative walk i liked too. Elliot monologues all the time. I particularly liked the juxtaposition between Elliot's speech and Trump's campaigning - clear similarities in the use of the language, rhetoric, and really, the same results (mobs, riots, protests). Was Elliot right? Was bring ECorp down really the means to a revolution, or did he just create fertile ground for more repression?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
wait, those people were cool??

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

metavisual posted:

I think that was sort of the point.

When they first opened the door, I was like wait a second, this is Mr Robot, are they really doing the loud techno/dubstep underground hacker community?? (I was waiting for Razor and Blade to show up...I mean, those guys are 1337...)
Then I thought about it a little. I give Esmail a little more credit than that. They haven't really subscribed to any of the generic/media "hacker cliches" thus far, so I think they did this on purpose.

It was a short scene, and their CTF challenge was a total joke to Elliot, but a big deal to others that were there. As evidenced by the fact that when the neckbeard tried to downtalk him, Elliot put him in his place, and also when the other guy patted him on the back he pulled the "don't touch me, get of my face" attitude. (ie: this is an afterthought of a competition even though you all think it's important. We're on some bigger poo poo here behind the scenes and this was a necessary evil to get me access).

I think that scene was basically a vehicle to remind us that Elliot (and his crew) are really above that, a reminder that "real" hackers can be regular people, and don't fit into all those cliches. *(aside of Elliot's hoodie...)

Also, right after that scene when they leave, they are dealing with shady people shutting down FBI trucks, etc, which again shows the whole "we're bigger than your little contest" you're all just playing "hacker" while the stakes are real for us.

(Or maybe I just misread the whole thing, I don't know, it's just the feeling I got from it!)

i think the point was that hackers are like that. s1 and s2 had angela throwing those dumb parties too. i think you're bang on though about the contrast - there's a disconnect for hackers between what they're doing on a computer screen vs what's happening outside. like you point out, while they're partying in their dubstep dimly lit underground venue people outside are robbing each other, lighting things on fire, and beating each other. the realization that their hacking has repercussions is finally realized by Angela towards the end of s2 and by Elliot as he comes to terms with Mr. Robot's continued existence.

I imagine this season is going to focus much more on Mr. Robot as his own distinct character and Whiterose. Looking forward to that.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
^ best scene was Angela's monologue

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Nah, I was specifically talking about how it's voice-over, then it's him talking on camera, then it's voice-over again. It was odd to me because it felt like they had a bunch of footage of him talking then re-wrote it later just to insert the Trump stuff.

Yeah, a lot of real world poo poo happened between s2 and s3. I like all the references to current times - I wonder if they were expecting Hilary to win and had to adjust the script?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Part of the reason I enjoy this show is that I have no idea where it's going. Still, I doubt the conclusion is going to be a "big sci-fi reset button."

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Maelstache posted:

Another big hint dropped about shifting realities during the first therapy scene. Krysta had no idea about Elliot getting pushed out of the window as a kid, even though he was convinced he had already told her. So are they now in a timeline where that initial conversation never took place?

It's gonna be so disappointing when it turns out Esmail's been playing us with this alternate reality crap the whole time. I can just hear Elliot in voiceover saying: "Wait, is that what you thought was going on? Really?"

i just want to make sure, we all know Elliot is like, severely mentally ill right?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Maelstache posted:

Yes, but not everything that happens can necessarily be put down to Elliot being crazy. There's enough peculiarity happening when he isn't around to lend credence to elaborate More Going On theories.

But at this point it's ambiguous enough that it could still just be a total mislead, that's what makes it fun.

True, and sorry for my tone. I think this points more to Elliot working through his issues with his dad. Mr. Robot taking the shape of his dad, Elliot re-enacting his dad pushing him through a window - eg. the pier scene in s1 - Elliot seeking revenge on behalf of his dad, all of this points to an abusive relationship between Elliot and his father. The signifying incident being the day Elliot's dad pushed him through the window. To me, what was notable about that scene was how Elliot viewed that day as a normal (even happy) day. That doesn't indicate alternate realities to me, it indicates severe childhood trauma.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

I'm not even convinced that what actually happened was his dad pushing him through a window, rather than that being a cover story his brain made up to protect him from a more horrible truth.

I was really hoping when he brought up the snowman to Darlene that she would say something like "that was the day of <some traumatic incident>" which would either confirm or deny whether Elliot's perception of the events of that day is accurate. But unfortunately she didn't get into it.

there's also the strange connection between Whiterose and Elliot's dad. It sounds like they knew each other - I wonder how exactly the three of them are tied together.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Elliot is Snapchat. no long-term memory.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

AwkwardKnob posted:

It's fascinating the way this show subverts expectation even when it's playing it straight in an episode like last night's. We, or at least I - was led to believe Tyrell had some masterful part of the Plan all along, and was smugly working in some covert bunker on Phase 2 and everything. From his phone call to Elliot in jail, to the weird misdirection on him on season 2, and then we find out he's basically just been in a cabin put on ice for months with no idea what's going on. His experience is almost a mirror of Elliot's depending on which of their perspectives you look at it through.

Now I'm wondering how he's going to react to knowing about Elliot's special mental status. There was some inner turmoil playing out on his face in the last few shots of the episode, and ending on Mr Robot's smug expression made me nervous. Tyrell would gently caress a dude purely out of the need for power and personal gain. Is the mirror that Mr Robot would allow Tyrell to be in love with him for similar reasons? A scorned lover shot Tyrell's wife, and Tyrell already shot Elliot. Except Elliot didn't die.

...............yet!

Is Tyrell in love with Elliot, or Mr. Robot? Looking forward to finding out. I feel like I need to rewatch s1 and 2 because like you, i really thought there was something deeper going on. Tyrell latched onto Elliot from the first time they met and (in hindsight) I thought Tyrell and Mr. Robot had met beforehand. Or maybe it was just really love at first sight?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

Can you please elaborate?
I didn't see anything like this.

pretty sure he's making fun of the poster who thought Elliot = Tyrell. or was it Angela? i forgot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
i love all the winks and nods to parallel universes. i still think it's misdirection, the e-coin theory i think is more plausible. Irving will say whatever Angela needs to keep her onboard with the plan, whatever it is. Although if the show takes a hard sci-fi turn, i'm okay with that too. so good.

• Locked thread