Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hey so I avoided this thread for awhile since I was way behind on Mr. Robot but I finally burned through season 2 and 3 so now I can't be spoiled

Dumb question but back in season 2, what was actually going on in the prison? Was the warden actually running a darknet website? So like, he's running it... out of the prison? What? Or was that all part of what Elliot imagined?

And Elliot managed to hack the darknet site... from within prison?I guess the Warden gave him a computer to try to get him to work on the site but that just seems incredibly stupid and kinda contrived.

I do love me some unreliable narrator though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

The warden specifically needed someone to fix the site. He knew that Elliot had the skills to fix it.

That still seems incredibly stupid and contrived. Why not... find somebody outside prison to fix it? You're running a darknet site presumably you know a few people in the darknet. Or you can... hire some of them.

Also if you're doing so well on your darknet site why be a prison warden? As a cover? Seems like asking for trouble to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Why wouldn't you want someone who you have absolute power over?

Because its not absolute. A warden can't just kill an inmate and disappear the body. I guess they could kill him and blame it on somebody else, but that seems incredibly risky.

I mean... how did that work out for him?

In the end the Warden just kinda let Elliot contact the Feds, so I guess you could say he wanted to get caught from the very beginning but that just seems ultra contrived.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

He did. The guy wanst able to fix it. Then he found that he had this pro-hacker in his very own prison and decided to hire him

I thought that guy was another inmate, huh.

I mean if he wasn't then how did Elliot see him? Bringing in the pro-hacker guy to the prison seems like a dumb move if he's not a prisoner.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

he only brought him into prison the one time (that we see), to get elliot access to the server.

Okay I guess that makes sense, yeah. He'd need the other guy to show Elliot the server because he didn't fully understand the darknet himself. Still risky but whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Also it's the most useless B-plot in the series that only earned its keep by giving us the 90s sitcom episode.

Agreed.

That 90s sitcom episode was gold though. Would be genius, although Too Many Cooks and David Lynch's Rabbits kinda beat them to it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I dunno how to feel about Angela this season. She's always been this sorta will she / won't she thing where she hates evil corp but she works for them but she's trying to stop them from within but she isn't but she is...

And then now she talks to Whiterose and she's a complete scientologist or something. Its too weird.

I guesse Whiterose convinced her reality is a simulation or there's some future Roko's Basilisk that is gonna fix everything, but ... comeon girl. Wake up!

The thing with her rewinding the TV and saying the people were fine... I mean I get she's having a psychotic break but poo poo. She was always sane before, and now she's totally bonkers. I mean I guess whiterose could do that but it feels like a weird turn for her character.

Mameluke posted:

It's interesting to me that Angela's breakdown manifests itself as both filling her home with prepper crap like the Ecorp tubs her dad sells and Dom buys, and also intensively recreating her meeting with Whiterose to the point of blanking out generic family photos and buying the same kitschy posters.

What are the odds she'll kill Qwerty in an effort to reenact Whiterose's fish trick?

:smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wonder if Amazon paid them for an Alexa advertisement or if they just included it because technology.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Talorat posted:

I'm so upset that I missed the hat because I had to reset my password.

Don't be like me kids, set your password to something very simple so that you can hop on the free poo poo immediately.

Or don't be dumb and use a password manager?!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

d0grent posted:

Here's my dumb theory for how this all shakes out. White Rose is actually Mr Robot's version of Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator of Bitcoin. In the real world, no one actually knows who Satoshi Nakamoto actually is, and the creator of Bitcoin is a mystery. Whoever this person is owns 5% of all bitcoins, which in today's current value is somewhere around 21 billion dollars. If this is White Rose, it explains her motivation to destabilize the global economy - so that people will switch to using cryptocurrencies. It also explains that while the rest of the world is adopting E-Coin, China refuses to and is still using only Bitcoin. The giant "particle accelerator" that White Rose owns is actually a bitcoin mining facility. This way, he is able to mine them faster than anyone else and once crypto replaces fiat currency, he will be the wealthiest and most powerful man in the world. It would also make sense that she wants to move this facility off of US soil now that crypto is on the rise, since the U.S. government would likely put an end to her operation if they ever found out what it was really being used for. The time travel/alternate reality is a ruse in order to get people to devote themselves so intensely to her cause, to the point that they will kill themselves or blow up 71 buildings because hey in the end we just hit the reset button right? White Rose is just telling people whatever they need to hear to join her army until she's so incredibly wealthy she no longer needs to perpetrate this myth.

Why would you spend tons of money on a giant not-particle-accelerator mining machine when you could just give yourself tons of coins to begin with? If you created the algorithm and set it all up and stuff you could just give yourself a poo poo ton of them before anybody else even had a chance to create miners.

I do agree though, any kind of actual virtual reality or time travel would be too bonkers. Its just gonna be a cult that whiterose uses to control people. (Still not crazy about how fast Angela fell for it) people are dumb and whiterose just wants money and power.

Also if whiterose created bitcoin and owns a ton of them why allow e-coin to be a thing? Wouldn't she move to shut that down to keep bitcoin going if so invested in bitcoin?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

I'll be drat disappointed if everything actually does come down to "white rose is trolling everyone". I feel like Mr. Robot's continued existence is especially a point in favor of some kind of "reality hacking" going on because by now Mr. Robot is not Elliott or Elliott's Dad and the whole way they physically struggle to control the same body is not really explicable by regular old psychology either.

Of course its not Elliot or Elliot's Dad, its Tyler Durden.

Its basically psychology but with hollywood drama breaking the rules to do what's cool and dramatic and not necessarily medically real.

d0grent posted:

I just found it interesting that one of the plot points was that China is the only country to refuse E-Coin and stick with Bitcoin.

I do think you're on to something here. Its a good catch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Whiterose's scene in the tub pretty much confirms that she was telling the truth to Angela. I think alternate dimension fuckery is probably coming up, but I'm sure Esmail will find a way to keep it relatively grounded within the show's world

All it proves is that White Rose has fanatically loyal henchmen, which we already knew. She may have been lying to him.

NmareBfly posted:

I'm a little mad at Dom for how she ended things with Darlene. :smith:

I mean yeah she just went through some real poo poo but uh blame the dark army, not the lady who told you the FBI was hosed and you didn't believe.

Hopefully it was just an emotional moment and she comes around.

AGREED I was like "poo poo Dom its not her fault, don't blame her for the dark army"

That was hosed up. I mean people can be like that, but people are dumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Maha posted:

Can someone get me up to speed on these allusions (the ones that took place before the season finale)? I don't even remember this fish thing.

The fish was in the tank during the interview with Angela a couple episodes ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Also, why in ththe first place was Elliot “losing it with a bat.” I mean, did something more serious happen between him and his dad prior? Or did he mentally crack at a young age and start seeing two of them, then didn’t trust his real father when he came home.

He probably had like a panic attack or a seizure or something. Elliot was not totally on the level even before his accident. He's always been a bit off in the head. The accident just made it way, way worse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah but as the conversation Darlene had with the prostitute illustrates, he hasn't undone the consequences of 5/9.

People saying Elliot "undid" 5/9 is really dumb to me. What? He brought back the data... but that was just ONE PART of what happened. He didn't magically reverse time like White Rose is claiming. Its not even remotely the same thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Time travel theories are real folks.

How on earth would that possibly prove anything? He's shooting himself because he believes he's coming back. We already knew that. Him saying a cool Chinese phrase doesn't prove he IS definitely coming back, it just again states that he believes he will. Which we already knew. Nothing changes. Its still very very likely he's just dead forever because he's a brainwashed fanatic that Whiterose used and discarded.

You can love someone and still kill them. People are crazy. Whiterose is definitely crazy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't think anyone is questioning that Whiterose either truly believes she can alter time, or that she's actively lying and tricking people into thinking she can altering time. But in either case it's unlikely that she really can alter time.

Exactly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

If it really is that this really powerful and incredibly intelligent person is actually mentally ill and created an international criminal organization so powerful that it owns China and the FBI (and now Congo), and killed literally thousands of people, just because of some dumb fantasy from his/her sick imagination, like Price said, I will really love it and say its loving genius

But I really really doubt that this is how is going to play out

I think that is where its going. Look at Tyrell; he was shown as this big powerful scary hacker foil to Elliot who had his poo poo together unlike Eliot and was even more willing to do whatever it takes. And he sacrificed everything for the plan and... his wife died before he could see her again.

The whole show is about reality and perception and delusion. And its definitely not just Elliot with his Mr. Robot delusion. Fsociety was delusional and perceived themselves as winning, when in reality they were obliterated and would have been way better of not bothering. Darlene was delusional as leader and about how she thought she could get away with trying to own the FBI. Tyrell was delusional about the plan with the dark army and everything working out with his wife. Angela was delusional about nobody getting hurt and the dark army getting everybody evacuated so it'd just be the servers that were destroyed, and then delusional about everybody being brought back by whiterose.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Laterite posted:

Better yet, don't. Literally, watch anything other than Birdman.

What the gently caress

When it comes to long takes the OG is The Untouchables. Then there's Children of Men. And yeah, Birdman is fantastic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

maskenfreiheit posted:

I think people keep flossing over the fact the address who played Young Angela this season was the same one as the little girl in the room last season.

So does that mean Angela met her past self in that room? Or just someone who looks like her? 🤔

Do you think Elliot is dead and living in the afterlife? Its called unreliable narrator.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GutBomb posted:

If every weird thing in the show ends up as "lol Elliot is an unreliable narrator" that's going to be a pretty disappointing ending.

Every weird thing? That's an odd dichotomy. Can't just ... some things end up that way? :v:

We know for a fact that this show is willing to mislead the audience. Perception is one of the key themes.

Mike the TV posted:

White Rose controls people by giving them delusions and alternate personalities. She did it to Elliot as a child, his dad found out and was killed for it, and that's why White Rose trusts Elliot. The project is a machine that will cause similar delusions to the rest of the world. There- SciFi without time travel.

That feels a little too Dr. Who for something like Mr. Robot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gluten Freeman posted:

Lost answered the major thematic questions is posed, not to everyone's satisfaction certainly, but the things it left unanswered are mostly little finicky things.

No way. Lost wrote themselves into a corner with no plan for an ending and just kinda tossed up their hands and said :shrug: Okay, its magic, we lied before when we said it wasn't going to be magic.

I mean the problems aren't really thematic, but they're not little finicky things either.

GutBomb posted:

If every weird thing in the show ends up as "lol Elliot is an unreliable narrator" that's going to be a pretty disappointing ending.

It'd also be weird if a show that deceives its audience on the regular just suddenly... stopped doing that and played everything straight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Even though I hate post a bunch of nit-picky bullshit about the show, I still think that from start to end it is worth watching over a vast majority of other television. My complaints happen primarily because I see the cracks in this amazing show that, if addressed, could have transcended the entire series to the level that made season 1 an incredible hit. Though seasons 2 and 3 are inconsistent in editing, themes, vibes, plot structure, and general show-running, these things still end up vastly superior and more entertaining than other TV shows, bolstered by the consistently amazing acting, dialog, and sound editing. Mac Quayle, who writes the show's music, is a genius and whoever is responsible for the placement/editing of his music into the show deserves the highest praise.

As an art piece, Mr. Robot evokes strong emotion. For that alone it is a must-watch.

Yeah I agree with all of this.

Season 2 and 3 have some flaws compared to 1 but overall the show is still better and works harder than 95% of what's on tv.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Quantum computers are hilarious because so many people spend so much time jerking themselves off about how amazing they're going to be that the just quietly ignore the fact that literally every quantum computer that has ever been built either doesn't work or doesn't do anything regular computers can do. "futurists" are the most gullible motherfuckers out there.

This is itself hilarious because you really don't understand quantum computers at all.

What we have are quantum adiabatic computers. They work. They absolutely work. But they can only solve a subset of problems that fits a certain type, where they can set up a problem space and then just let it resolve itself naturally into the solution state.

We do not have full turing-complete quantum computers and we may not for a long time.

That said, as you just demonstrated almost nobody knows anything about how quantum mechanics actually works and just treat the word "quantum" as "more powerful, cooler" which it really isn't.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Also also, the effects of quantum computers on cryptography are generally overstated. We already have encryption algorithms that can't be accelerated by quantum computing. And at the current pace of progress, we are going to have more than enough time to switch our infrastructure over to these new algorithms as more and more powerful QCs hit the market. High performance quantum computing would only wreck havoc if it were to hit a completely unprepared world.

Yeah... its basically Y2K all over again. Except more complicated so more people get confused and panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cochise posted:

Is Angela Starbuck? :thunk:

Darlene is Starbuck. Angela is Six.

• Locked thread