Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm actually enjoying the hell out of the show but there are a LOT of Fight Club similarities. Even the coming into your "professional office" job all beat up and being asked about it by your corporate boss.

Sill 100% on board with it though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No. Not to be too frank or sound too snarky, I got what they meant in the pilot but upon reveal never took it to be literal. He claims there is a powerful super-elite. The image is symbolic and is like a narrator flashback (forward for us) of how Elliot envisions this unseen "illuminati". It never once crossed my mind that they went a direction with it and then got a new path because reasons.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know discussion is just that... discussion, but I find it hard to count against or worry about a show's future seasons if it is good now. And it is good now. So I'm happy with it, now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wax Lion posted:

I know everyone is saying the show intends to play with the idea that Mr. Robot isn't real but what if it doesn't? That's my big worry. Like what if the creator thinks he's got this twist locked and loaded and he thinks he's going to blow our minds?

What if you just watch and enjoy each episode until something happens to make you no longer wish to indulge?

The amount of people worried about the future of this show is astounding.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kegslayer posted:

I'm more surprised Microsoft chose to advertise on this show.

It's pretty clever. Before anyone can go "haha it's like Microsoft!" Microsoft is there going "oh ho ho! This poo poo is crazy ya'll! That company is messed up! We're so down with this show so clearly we are not like them!"

Not saying they are or aren't. Just that it skews as very hip "edgy" marketing.

Man that stairway scene was so blatantly head-Slater that it has to be a curveball/red herring, right?

violetdragon posted:

Shayla was Elliot's drug dealer.

It's a trope/archetype. He wasn't being literal.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 31, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Trabant posted:

It's been a looong while since Microsoft could have been considered a stand-in for Evil Corp (or vice versa, that is). The only people in the audience who still remember them as the evil empire are goons like us.

There's obviously no one company Evil Corp is based on (other than their Enron logo), but if Facebook started running ads during the show I'd love it.

Oh I wasn't saying they were a good stand-in for Evil Corp, just that it's like a big corporate tech company elbowing up to a bunch of hipsters and being like " hey guys big evil corporations suck am I right?!"

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

pahuyuth posted:

I'm pretty bored with House Tyrell to be honest, though the wife is hot. I did enjoy the scene with the new boss of EvilCorp though. The way it was shot was just awesome.

Wife is not even hot. She looks like a caricature of a stuck up model. Who eats like that? Duck face much?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pregnant is fine. I just don't find her attractive and she made a lot of dumb faces. But this is a dumb and goony derail in a show that has much more and better to talk about.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

apatheticman posted:

What happened after the credits?

My recording cut off. I need to see what happened.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've liked every bit of this show. What I'm about to say is not even a complaint... just an observation. Darlene's attitude and demeanor has changed a lot over the show. Not that that's unheard of... but she was this kind of abrasive bitchy hacker chick who was like gently caress all this noise... and lately she's been (uncharacteristically) soft and subdued.

Anyone else?

Again, I ask... anyone know where I can see the stinger? There was a post-credits one last night... yes?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BrianWilly posted:

Angela mentions that Darlene and Elliot were actually fairly estranged before recent months (presumably before he, Mr. Robot, got FSociety started up). I think the fact that Darlene was originally standoffish to him and becomes warmer over time was actually a good way to show that.

Well my point was she was snarky and roll-eyes-y at everyone, always, and kinda just had that "psshhhh, whatever dude! As if!!" Vibe.
The last 2 or 3 eps she has been very not that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If we get Rami-doing-Elliot-doing-Slater and its some Fringe-Olivia caliber poo poo I'm gonna be in heaven.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ultramiraculous posted:

Ugh I wish Fringe wasn't such a bad show.

Edit: Though I guess Orphan Black did that 100000x better.

Fringe was amazing you shut your poo poo hole! And Olivia-doing-Nemoy was the first sign of her awesomeness.

The only part of your post that doesn't make me want to light a bag of poo on your doorstep is I agree Tatiana Maslany is loving killing it in O.B.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Watch more episodes. The hacktivism sort of takes a bit of a backseat for a while.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Botnit posted:

Might be an unpopular opinion but the Tyler Durden aspect of the show prevented me from finishing my rewatch. I don't care about whether it's copied, imitated or just inspired by, it's boring. The thing that makes it worse is that virtually every other thing about the show is perfect. Every interaction Elliot has with any non-delusional character is interesting and intriguing and I want nothing but that in S2.

I tried fast forwarding through all of the delusional parts at first because towards the beginning of the season it would just be one or two scenes an episode that revolved around what you obviously knew was bullshit but towards the end of the season it's up to like half the episode.

Yeah. Definitely an unpopular opinion. Most likely given how wrong it is.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tight butthole.

[Ed] when is this loving show back??!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is the trailer just a cool thing or does it contain much in the way of preview spoilers?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Tenzarin posted:

They really let the prisoners run some crazy websites in the library!

Guard. Had to be. They beat him and put him in the pit.
[or Warden, yes. Just not s prisoner, obvs.)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 18, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tyrell's wife did not say Elliott. Who did she call him? Ollie??

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I adore this show but the one part that always cracks me up is how guilty and deer-in-headlights Angela looks whenever she does ANYTHINGS suspicious. Last night's ep when she was in her own office, anytime someone walked by she gave them the frozen bug-eye stare.

[Ed] there was a tweet on Aug 10 from Esmail about watching the ep live with commercials. What'd I miss?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 1, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Golashes posted:

I didn't think that was a different actor?

I'm not to the end of this thread yet (in case more is revealed) but he felt off to me. Perhaps physically just a different haircut, but his mannerisms and speech were very different.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I thought tonight was the 11th and I am so crestfallen now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Le Saboteur posted:

There was some really lame stuff in this premiere. That narrated walk along the sidewalk felt just so clumsy, it definitely feels like the writing is going downhill.

I don't think it was clumsy. At least not unintentionally.

He starts monologuing in his head as he walks past the effects of 5/9. Then he starts talking out loud and I was like, this is weird. Then it cuts to other things and I was like, this is an odd angle to take. Then it cuts to him standing in Red Wheelbarrow and he's just been lost in thought the whole time and it sort of makes sense. He just kinda walked himself through the realization that the state of things is all his fault.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy poo poo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ShakeZula posted:

Also, the monologue didn't go from inner to outer, it was inner the entire time. Hence the smash cut to him still sitting in the pizza place at the end. It was all in his head.

This. Wondering why people are taking it so literally when it was crystal clear he was just lost in crazy-thought for who knows how long...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there any kind of cadence to those swag giveaways? Like “once a week on show night” or is it literally just random.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
She was carrying that super important open envelope like an rear end in a top hat, though. Who carries a stuffed-with-items envelope sideways and open.

What an idiot.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Harminoff posted:

gently caress yeah I finally got something from e-coin!

It's true. When you get the email, it;'s too late!

Red Wheelbarrow bbq sauce. :(

Dude. I checked this morning at 7am PST. Nothing. Dammit. Then I get an email now and something has come and gone.

BOTS. BOTS, I TELL YA!

BBQ SAUCE-HAVING BOTS!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The problem with cockteasing all this fantastical poo poo (which, set in a real world setting, becomes fascinating) is that to eventually go “ hey I knew we teased this and alluded to a character being convinced it was real but we’re going to do a hasty 180 and just drop that poo poo with a “it was all a lie! We just wanted financial superiority!” is tantamount to having a movie about aliens taking over the world and get right to where the ships land and the doors are opening and then, smash cut, a kid wakes up, the whole thing was a dream! Now it’s a movie about a family drama.

Like, I don’t mind Mr. Robot being about a hacker and the societal aftermath of their actions, but don’t lean so heavily on this other crazy poo poo if you’re just gonna handwave it.

And that’s why I think the crazy poo poo might be real.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
They are all multiple personalities of Alexa!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
E-Coin item. Ringtones? Digital goods probably not limited... since I still redeemed it after the email.

[edit] Dang that one ringtone is bass heavy. The other is... ok? They could have done better here...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That theory of taking over their body is extremely not loving likely because no parent would do that poo poo to their kid. Shoot them, beat them to hell, etc.

[Edit] ok some parents might but I think it’s been established that ACTUAL Elliot’s dad didn’t seem the type.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Blind Rasputin posted:

“No parent would do that to their kid”, says man who throws his own kid out a window.

Yes. I had a feeling someone would bring that up. Still doesn’t jive with ordering your son to be shot and beating the shot out of him. Wasn’t the window a heated accident?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Sean posted:

Referring to Elliot being pushed out of the window as "a heated accident" still isn't great support for "no parent would do that to their kid." Elliot's dad is an adult and should have self-control.

And conflating “one time a bad accident happened” with “dad is malicious towards and wishes harm on his son” seems equally unsupported. Just saying. I don’t see the link. It’s a big stretch.

It’s much more likely that because of that one heated accident Elliot’s manifestation of dad is so ruthless.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If by “gay” you mean “sane”? Then yes. Most of us are sane. You might need some time to acclimate.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have not seen tonight's episode yet but man I am not sure free swag is worth following this twitter and having mini spoilers(?) thrown at me as notifications..

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m going to simultaneously tip my hat AND hate Esmail for how thick he’s laying on the time travel stuff only to have it be nothing more than some audience trolling.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Got my water bottle today.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Someone above mentioned that Pryce took the deal b cause he was smitten with Angela. Do we all think that? While that is possible, I read that scene is “this is part of the plan, we need to go to Allsafe because <nefarious hidden reasons for 5/9>.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh yeah, I am definitely not denying he was staring at her and taken with her in some way. I had just thought that AllSafe was part of "THE PLAN". But I was straightened out above. That wasn't a thing yet.

Man, I am following Mr. Robot twitter with Notifications due to the E-Coin swag, but I tell you, if the show really is not about anything "surreal" the twitter posts are written as a gigantic troll...

• Locked thread