Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Sam loves to :airquote: "draw inspiration" :airquote: from other forms of media (see: fight club)

I recently rewatched Twin Peaks, and the whole business with the red room and black/white lodges being accessed in a certain place when certain planets alight got me thinking.

As much as I hope the parallel universe thing does not become a plotline, things seem to point that way. And we've seen some very Lynch-esque eps recently (such as Angela's van ride in S2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

VodeAndreas posted:

First episode of this season did nothing for me but it's started dragging me in again.

Yeah, I didn't like the Lynch-esque stuff last season (Ex: Angela's adventure), first ep seemed a bit off but the next two seem to be ramping up well. I'm optimistic.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

They did basically nothing with it and even if it was the other way around it would have no impact on the show.

Given the themes of anti-corporatism, Hillary “My posse’s on Wall Street” Clinton would have possibly slotted in better than Trump.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So Darlene is into girls?

Not terribly surprised TBH

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
meanwhile, tyrell now thinks he's a god...

i'm sure that will end well

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

So like, everyone jacks into the Matrix?

Why jack off to Alexa when you could jack in to Alexa?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is the best, and most likely theory I've seen yet. Having money is useless when compared to controlling it's value. E-Corp can control the world's banks, control land, and even politics, but if White Rose straight up controls the value of the world's currency? That's real power.

This is actually a fairly plausible scenario (though highly accelerated timeline).

Basically there are two types of encryption, public key and private key. (AKA symmetric and asymmetric)

Private key (Symmetric) is the traditional kind, like when you sign onto wifi and enter a password. The password is the "private key" - everyone has the same key and anyone with the key can encrypt/decrypt.

The other kind is "public key" which allows you to do cool stuff like encrypt something for someone but only they can decrypt it.

The latter is used by Bitcoin (as well as pretty much any encryption system where you didn't enter a password - for example, like literally every banking website you use).

I'm not an expert on quantum crypto, but it's my understanding that quantum computers are especially good at factoring large primes. (Given a number, figure out which two numbers multiplied together created it)

Symmetric key encryption relies on the assumption it's easier to multiply two numbers together than to figure out which two numbers were multiplied to create a number.

So quantum computers won't break all encryption or anything like that, but they basically gently caress up a lot of the useful stuff we do with computers, since without public key crypto you have to exchange keys for every communication. (Picture having to have a strong password not just for your bank account, but for every visit to it's website AND you have to exchange that password in a secure way)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

CloFan posted:

She's one of the few to have rejected him, I imagine

She's the Liz Lemon to his Jack Donaghy

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
This whole avoiding HR reminds me of the beginning of The Matrix.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Is everything slightly out of focus?

I don't have access to an HDTV in this location not sure if it's the lovely tv.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

timp posted:

THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE!

Is that from something or did they write it for this show?

have you never been to a protest?

it's a very common chant

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 9, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Ok so what did Angela *do* exactly? Was I just slightly drunk or was that unclear?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

J33uk posted:

Overrode/circumvented Elliot's firmware patch which will thusly lead to the UPS cook-off that destroys the backup paper records and any poor bastards in the records building. The destruction of these records is somehow vital to the success of Phase 2.

:yeah:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

lol if you think american news gives a poo poo about what happens in africa

they seem to talk a lot about benghazi

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
The Firefox ads have me :lol:ing

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

J33uk posted:

Had a feeling it was going that way when they refocused on the fact that everything was distributed out. That said this version of the US is hyper hosed.

PhazonLink posted:

Oh poo poo, B-rock is still prez, so this is still in the 2016 crazieness.

Say what you want about Trump, I'm not sure Barrack "I kill American citizens with robots" Obama would react in a restrained manner to a massive terrorist attack like this either.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

I'm thinking it's going to lead to China owning the US.

Art imitates life

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Elliot and Mr. Robot have seemingly made peace with each other

Did they? Or was Mr Robot just keeping Elliot busy while the rest of the bombs went off?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

China will eventually (10-20 years in the future) be the world's superpower if things continue on their current path

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cochise posted:

True. She says it was their favorite movie. I didn't even think about that when I posted earlier. :thunk:

Naw. We're moving back to a multipolar world. Unquestioned hegemony is slowly dying off.

Sci-Fi option: we have a Firefly scenario.

Ok yes, I buy that. And what the other poster said about force projection - I did some Googling and aircraft carriers aren't the kind of thing you spin up in a couple years.

I do think their will be reigonal superpowers, 1984 style, and China will be Asia's.

I don't necessarily think Russia will be Europe's (unless they want to keep invading everyone not in NATO one by one)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Mulva posted:

Nah, they are absolutely poo poo at projecting power and they aren't currently taking steps to change that. And because they aren't right now doing that, they won't be ready to do it in 10 or 20 years. Also all their neighbors still like us more than them.

People really have no loving idea what the word "superpower" means, or just how key the US is to everything, or just how amazingly far we'd have to fall not to be number 1, or the catastrophic the effects would be on the rest of the world as it happened. So no, let me spoil your lifetime. It won't be BRIC, it won't be Europe, it won't be anybody but us in the top seat for the rest of your natural life. Empire die hard, and they die long.

Meh, OTOH things will change subtly. Germany will give the next Snowden asylum, that sort of thing. (Other examples of where we throw our soft power around are failing to come to mind but I think that's a good example)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Question about people that work in IT.

Is one of your co-workers having an episode and smashing their computer or smashing their head against pipes unremarkable? Those two unnamed dudes seem remarkably chill about it.

at my last job i hated my coworkers enough i would not have cared if they started self harming. certainly wouldn't intervene.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Why bother being so accurate with the hacking, if you're going to just pretend a big complicated machine like a particle accelerator can alter reality and or time travel? That would poo on all the work they put into making the show seem plausible.

Unless the "other reality/dimension" ...

is ours.

Well they play fast and loose with psychiatry... the whole split personality thing is totally Hollywood.

I’ve gotten a strong Lynch vibe at a couple points but I’m hoping they don’t go down that road.

What’s more likely IMHO is a quantum computer or some sort of simulation that can “predict” the future in a “we ran several scenarios and this one seems statistically likely “

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Maybe all the parallel universe bizzaro stuff is just an affectation adopted by a scheming political force of nature to obscure their true purpose of simply taking over the world?

I like this theory

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

Totally forgot about the particle collider at the beginning of the season, didn't register it. Right before the start of the dialogue with Whiterose, there's a random scientist guiding some other folks around and he says the following:

Feels too elaborate to be just some throwaway thing. I hadn't even thought about it until reading this thread, but it feels quite possible that there might be some sort of sci-fi time-traveling/parallel-universe-hopping aspect that is getting ready to unfold. Maybe that's why Angela doesn't think anyone is going to die, because of some sort of understanding of infinite parallel universes? Not sure how this ties into China or Whiterose's overarching ambitions, but it doesn't feel totally out of the realm of possibility. :tinfoil:

even if you can jump from reality to reality, her parents are still dead.

unless they want to pull a rick & morty and just feel no attachment and swap realities when poo poo hits the fan

one movie they seem to have not ripped off yet is the matrix, so maybe white rose will just shove angela into a matrix where her mommy is alive

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Meanwhile, at Dom's desk

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 17, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
What if young Angela is a clone? Human cloning isn't too far out of left field.

White Rose, being a weirdo manipulative type, clones Angela, then uses the clone to trick her into thinking WR can jump between parallel universes or time travel or whatever.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Goofballs posted:

This whiterose discussion is interesting. I always figured that the goal was the standard power thing because she's such a shithead but this better world/super tech is throwing me a little because its way beyond what she needs to be king. In my head I'm kind of expecting some kind of fanatic belief in a timecube that's just utterly lame and only the kind of thing a crazy aristocrat would believe in. If that happened though it would just be the ultimate wet fart reveal. Very 2017 but I don't know if I could suggest that anyone ever watch the show and have that be what it leads to. And on the other if it turns out to be real and she's some kind of ends justify the means techno wizard that would also be retarded.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/02/elon-musk-tesla-space-x-paypal-hyperloop-simulation

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Laterite posted:

This is my worry about where the show is ultimately headed as well. Whiterose is a fascinating character but the direction her story is taking is either utterly banal or balls-out wacky.

I get a strong Adrian Veidt vibe from him/her

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Elliot presumably found out what the project in the Congo is when he got full DA access, correct?

So does he think it will work, or does he think it's bullshit but won't harm anything to let WR pursue it?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I think people keep flossing over the fact the address who played Young Angela this season was the same one as the little girl in the room last season.

So does that mean Angela met her past self in that room? Or just someone who looks like her? 🤔

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

No, goon enjoyment of Mr. Robot is real and sincere. It has not degenerated into a modern Dexter.

don't you dare sully mr robot by comparing it to that filth

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

d0grent posted:

Episodes are chapters, seasons are books.

Shows are libraries :tinfoil:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Shemp the Stooge posted:

White Rose doesn't control people or travel through time, but can send some information back through time. Anyone who uses that information to change things suffers mental and physical effects as a result. Eliot is more tolerant to those effects than most. Eliot's dad being sick was a new thing, probably related to the plant being the end point for received information. Him keeping it from his family was an attempt to keep his family moving down the same path they did previously, as long as they didn't know the impact would be minimal. When Eliot left him at the theatre it was a bigger divergence than he could handle and he died. White-Roses obsession with time is her attempt to keep as much as possible exactly the same as it was previously as to reduce the negative effects of having that information.

I like this theory. Maybe not the specifics, but =they could probably hand wave the science (something something quantum!)

Another alternative is White Rose has or is building a quantum computer. With that, you could cut through public key encryption, which is used to secure many communications. (For example, the password to your forums account. Or your bank account. Or your email)

Also, she could simply want the Congo for rare earth minerals. It's well known they're the limiting factor in a lot of high tech things, and China has been making strides to controlling them in the real world.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So I just rewatched Back to the Future 2 last night.

The more I think about it, the more I think White Rose's project is a quantum computer.

Think about it: the major plot point of BTTF2 is Bif obtaining a sports almanac and using it to place bets.

With a quantum computer you can cut through public key encryption.

Quick and oversimplified primer: private key encryption is when you enter a password to decrypt something, and the same key encrypts and decrypts. Everyone has the same key and anyone with the key can decrypt. This has a lot of issues, as you can imagine: how does every website agree on a unique encryption key for every user when there's no secure channel to communicate over?

Public key encryption splits that in two - there's a PUBLIC key you can share freely and anyone can use to encrypt a message to you. Then there's a PRIVATE key you use to decrypt the files.

This is useful, because

1.) it eliminates the need to securely share the key
2.) everyone isn't nessecrily using the same key

So for example, the "certificates" your bank, gmail, or these dead gay forums use are public keys.

I won't go too deep into the math, but basically public key encryption relies on some assumptions that don't hold up if you're using a quantum computer.

So if White Rose could build one, she could theoretically read large chunks of the world's communications. The NSA loves this poo poo for obvious reasons, but hypothetically you could use it for more pedestrian reasons, like reading companies emails to get insider information to trade on.

But wait - there's more. Bitcoin (and probably e-coin) rely on public key cryptography.

So hypothetically if you can get everyone using these currencies then hijack them, you'll be very rich AND have total information awareness.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Wasn't there some theory the LHC could open up a wormhole to another universe?

(Along with possibly opening up a black hole and destroying earth)

It'd be pretty lulzy is White Rose trying to create a Stargate and instead creating a black hole that takes out all life on earth

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
How Classical Cryptography Will Survive Quantum Computers

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Quantum computers are hilarious because so many people spend so much time jerking themselves off about how amazing they're going to be that the just quietly ignore the fact that literally every quantum computer that has ever been built either doesn't work or doesn't do anything regular computers can do. "futurists" are the most gullible motherfuckers out there.

We never iterate on unwieldy technology. SUCK IT :airquote: FUTURISTS :airquote:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Quantum computers are hilarious because so many people spend so much time jerking themselves off about how amazing they're going to be that the just quietly ignore the fact that literally every quantum computer that has ever been built either doesn't work or doesn't do anything regular computers can do. "futurists" are the most gullible motherfuckers out there.

Showed this to a friend who worked on quantum computing when he interned at NSA.

He’s not allowed to say what he did that summer but he is allowed to tell me to tell you you’re dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
now i'm remembering all the LHC conspiracy theories

my favorite was the one that it will destroy the universe and thus as loning as we exist we'll exist in a world where a series of increasingly zany accidents sabotage it

https://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1937370,00.html

• Locked thread