Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GreenNight posted:

Ya'll are asking for the thread to be closed again.

Looking forward to tonight, best show all summer.

It's on tomorrow night, not tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I doubt they are delaying it again, but if they're gonna delay it every time there is a gun murder in the US then we're never gonna see the ending.

It wasn't that there was a shooting. It was that there was a particularly visible shooting that captured national attention that was coincidentally similar to something in the episode and airing it would have seemed a bit crass. Context, people.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mega Comrade posted:

Stop talking about US gun crime you goons.

At this point it's pretty clear the show isn't gonna tie everything up so I'm hoping it gets cleared for a second series although personally I'm not a fan of it going for 5 seasons or whatever the creator said he had material for.

It's already been renewed for a second season. That was set before the first episode ever aired.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm an academic librarian, and students constantly forget their USB drives in our shared library computers. I'll always pop them into mine to identify the owner and send them an e-mail, but now I'm having second thoughts.

There's a pretty good chance at least one of them you found was left behind on purpose. It's pretty common. I think there was an article in 2600 magazine about doing just that not too long ago.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

muscles like this? posted:

She pretty much doesn't have any other options, even before the hack went through. She would have been blacklisted from any other job in that industry and has already mentioned that she can't just take some low paying job since she has all those student loans plus the fact that her dad is apparently sick as hell. Evil Corp is the only company that knows she didn't actually do what she said she did and is okay with her lying to get what she wants.

Her dad wasn't sick, he was drowning in debt from her mom being sick.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Subjunctive posted:

Unless the disks were full, just encrypting the data should let some of it be recovered off of blocks that weren't over-written (especially since those blocks may not line up on each replica). Probably that's not the intention of the writers, though, so we should assume that the backups are gone and the data is really only around in encrypted form.

More interesting to me, If the point is to not have it be recoverable, though, there's no reason to encrypt at all. Just overwrite with zeroes or a random pattern. So there must be some circumstance under which fsociety would reverse the encryption, and someone must be safeguarding the key. Many possible plot hooks in that space.

I remember it being mentioned that even if they did manage to get the encryption keys they'd just find dummy data anyway. I figured it was done that way to make them scramble to recover the data.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Subjunctive posted:

Properly-encrypted data can't be distinguished from random data, so there's no point in actually encrypting unless you want the option of decrypting.

I'm not sure it's random data, just not the data they are expecting to retrieve. I just remember Elliot saying something like "even if they do manage to decrypt it their data is gone anyway."

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Edit: replied to the wrong thread.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Steve Yun posted:

This might be a longshot, but when Tyrell offered Elliott a job at ECorp in the first/second episodes, was it at least partly motivated by wanting to get into Elliott's pants?

No

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Holyshoot posted:

The companies who make pay to win video games and EA for ruining my childhood by loving up all the new versions of those games and being a lovely give no fucks about the customer company.

You realize those games from your childhood were pay to win too, right? Arcade games ate quarter after quarter. It's not a new concept.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 16, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kegslayer posted:

To be fair, goons can be pretty bad at watching TV. I mean, what is this, the local?

I acquit. Shannon was stabbed.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

enraged_camel posted:

What bothered me wasn't the fact that the plot twist was ripped from something else, but rather that it was so incredibly obvious after a few episodes (with many goons in this very thread calling it) that it completely fell flat.

I would contrast that with Bruce Willis's movie The Sixth Sense, which was incredibly well written so the twist at the end came as a total shock that made you saw the movie in a completely different light.

It was supposed to be obvious. Elliot even commented that everyone else already knew. It wasn't meant to be a plot twist. Elliot finding out for himself was the dramatic point of that scene. The whole time you were supposed to be 80% sure that Mr Robot was just Elliot.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I think there's definitely some legs to the Elliot = Tyrell theory, there's tons of hints at it.

Tyrell is a hacker, and for some reason is immediately drawn to Elliot upon seeing him at Allsafe.
Right after Tyrell ties up his wife after coming home from the club, there is quick cut to Elliot at F Society. The cut is done in a way that it transitions from where Tyrell is standing to Elliot seamlessly, and also Elliot appears slightly confused as to how he got there.
Tyrell is in Elliot's fever dream sitting in his apartment, holding the key (to his childhood house?).
Tyrell has a conversation with Mr. Robot without Elliot, claiming to know Mr. Robot's secret.
The scene where Tyrell's wife seems to know Elliot.

Now there's a lot of evidence to suggest they're not the same person, but there's definitely something strange about their relationship. If they're not the same person, I think they're probably connected somehow from incidents prior to the first episode.

There are no legs. Elliot asks Tyrell's secretary where he is and she says he's not there. This show has attention to detail. It's not gonna screw up like that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The vice sounds very slightly off. It's not him buy someone that sounds very much like him.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Max posted:

I agree it sounds off, but I think it's because they just sampled a bunch of different audio clips and strung them together.

From what tape did they splice together the fictional character's name?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Holyshoot posted:

You're the audio guy right? will this start to become more common place in your industry? I think I prefer it over the generic stuff.

It's an impersonator. Listen to the real video and then listen to the edited one. Clearly a different person when you can hear it right next to the real thing.

edit: Assuming by "will this start to be more common" you mean digitally manipulated audio/video.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
iTunes works on Windows too. I don't know if mr robot is on there but it's sort of like steam for tv shows.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm pretty sure Obama is real.

Pffft sheeple.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Why did she have the parking lot attendant killed again? I straight up am confused on that part

She can't afford to keep paying him off to lie to the police and fbi who keep questioning him. He also mentioned that he felt like he was being watched and was behaving erratically. Her driver floated the idea in the last episode and in this one she gave in and agreed it had to be done.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well I guess we can explain both as not so good choices by the sound efffects guys

edit: personally, Im not sold on the institution theory. But the one thing I find hard to explain otherwise is the fact that Elliot supposedly lives with his mother but makes all his meals in this strange big restaurant that really looks like a hospital restaurant

Well one of the sound effects guys is a goon and has posted in the thread. Also they are pretty loving creative and spot on with the sound effects on this show so I doubt it is an accident.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you like this show, take a look at this dude's Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?s4myk

First video is of the mag card duplication that was used in this episode, but there is a ton of neat stuff in there.

Your link is broken.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
She didn't learn to code in a day. She memorized some command lines to type into a terminal in a day. I think instead of giving her a script they had her enter the individual commands from memory so if there was a problem they could fix it quickly and know exactly what step she was on. Also if she had a script and was caught before she executed it there is evidence that she was there to gently caress poo poo up. Without the script she's simply someone that wanted to go to a mostly abandoned floor in the office building to take a dump in peace who brought their laptop along in a bag.

Entering commands into a terminal and writing code are two very different things.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 15, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shoren posted:

I know she didn't really learn to code in any meaningful way, but they set it up as such with Mobley saying exasperatedly "You can't learn to code in a day!"

He said hack, not code.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
When that man's posterior was violated with the knife I turned to my wife and commented that I hadn't seen anything so brutal on TV since Oz and I was still surprised at the prison reveal. We had both been suspecting that there would be a reveal of some sort of mental health facility but neither of us considered prison, and over the past few episodes we'd actually almost given up on the theory that his reality was being masked and maybe he really is just at his mom's place.

Whoa.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zurui posted:

Is it True Detective that has some ridiculous paranormal reveal? Or am I thinking of some other show?

Are you thinking of Fargo?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

YouTuber posted:

Holy poo poo this thread is dense as gently caress about the Silk Road thing. It's the prison black market. People smuggle in crack or sell butt boys and Elliot rationalized it as a webpage market. The Warden was ignoring at first ignoring but then taking part by having the guards beat the poo poo out of prisoners. Elliot snitched and had the Warden and corrupt guards taken away.

So... That's incorrect. There was a scene not featuring Elliot where they go beat up the original IT guy. And why would ray let him use a computer in his office which he used to coordinate the FBI hack in IRC if the site wasn't real? And what would Ray's wife have to do with a prison black market?

Dense.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Snak posted:

I meant technologically, not calendar year. It doesn't seem like a stretch to me that in a world where E-Coins are accepted at a failing small business, microstamps would be an existing technology.

I took it as Bitcoin and e-coin gaining prominence when trust in the banks faltered because of 5/9. I doubt any place accepted them before but when cash is rationed and plastic doesn't work anymore any business is going to scramble to adapt before failing. It's not indicative of it being a "slightly more technologically advanced version of our world" it's just what would happen here if 5/9 happened here.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Watching live last night that last scene was making me really nervous. Something about the music and what was happening on screen was really giving me butterflies and nausea. The nerves got so bad that I had to turn it off and go to bed. I attributed it to something else because I've never had a physical reaction like that to a show before. Tonight I decided I needed to see what happened in the last 8 minutes so I watched it and the nerves and nausea were back.

The people making this show know exactly how to make me very uncomfortable.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Sean posted:

Even if it's real I'm willing to place this in the the shoutout/allusion category since this show really makes an effort to refer to other media.

It's really not a reference to Burn Notice. It's a hacker thing that's been around since WiFi began. Just because another show used it doesn't mean the two are related.

I remember reading about the Pringles can WiFi antenna in 2600 magazine in the very early 2000s.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Can't the brownouts be explained simply by the fact that it's hard to maintain a reliable power grid if you've got no money or means to pay the staff to maintain it? It's the same as the garbage situation. Why do the brownouts have to mean that something is sapping the power on an otherwise properly operating power grid? When California's energy companies were being financially mismanaged several years ago they did managed rolling blackouts to prevent brownouts from an overloaded system. In the 1970s NYC also famously suffered from brownouts due to a crumbling system that wasn't being properly maintained.

For a show so grounded in reality (aside from Elliot's delusions) where does introducing science fiction elements fit?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 16, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Shannon was stabbed.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I keep seeing people mentioning that the Ray plot was filler and didn't have anything to do with the main plot but it was the way to get Elliot on a computer and able to coordinate the hack on the FBI from prison. He fixed (and then exposed) Ray's site, but he also coordinated the FBI hack. This directly resulted in the Dark Army getting him released.

Spergatory posted:

Avatar: The Last Airbender's most powerful and emotionally affecting episodes...

Post/username combo...

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 24, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DaveKap posted:

And then later buys a bunch of new equipment and hacks directly from his house. He didn't need to be in jail to do this, that's why it's unimportant.

He was in jail to disconnect, both from hacking and from mr robot. It didn't work. Him being in jail was still integral to the story. Specifically the ray plot was so he could get online and perform the FBI hack. This is what the dark army gave him his release papers for which he was grateful to receive because jail sucks and his attempts to disconnect from Mr Robot didn't work.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

buckets of buckets posted:

How the h*ck do you even direct an anime? 'hey big tits 12 year old, I want u to put more feeling into it when you say nekoooo. Really elongate those vowels''''

I'm not sure you know what a director does.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Narcissus1916 posted:

I love a good mystery as much as the next dude, but the fact that the Elliot/Tyrell mystery is STILL unresolved irked me hard.

What mystery? This isn't the "they're the same person" poo poo again is it? Because they aren't.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Constant posted:

Elliot is Tyrell

saw that from a mile away

It's been discussed in this thread several times and makes absolutely no sense. They are separate individuals.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It seems pretty obvious to me that there has just been interaction between Elliot and Tyrell that we as viewers aren't privy to, and that Elliot doesn't remember it because he's loving crazy. I don't think they mystery between them goes beyond that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

empty baggie posted:

You mean the one from when Eliot is in jail? We heard it during the second season, didn't we?

Unless I'm just forgetting we just hear "bonsoir elliot"

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Blind Rasputin posted:

Mr Robot v3.0 - Darlangala fucks herself.

Oh now Darlene and Angela are Dom too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I don’t really get what good undoing the hack does at this point, other than getting revenge on White Rose. All those people are still dead

When the email was sent the second hack hadn't happened yet. The email was about undoing the first hack. And fixing the weekends economy won't bring the dead people back to life but will make the existing world less of a shithole.

• Locked thread