Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

The shooter opening fire right when the crosswalk sign hit "0" was a nice touch.

This show loves its over-the-shoulder signage. Elliot and Angela on the subway, they both have PHASE posters next to them, Angela's with a stereo and Elliot's with an ear. Angela does all the talking, Elliott does all the listening. I was wondering if that was going to be related to "Stage 2", but that's only ever been called Stage 2 not Phase 2. So I think it was just some basic symbolism.

Also what was Mr Robot looking for at Elliott's apartment? That scene where 'we' look around the place was nuts. Felt like I was playing one of those "escape the crimson room" games and couldn't friggin think of anything. Might be something we don't know yet because it happened during the three days after the hack. Any guesses?

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

LentThem posted:

"is there an evacuation plan for the building before we blow it up? well sure, yeah, of course there is!"

looking forward to angela's reaction to that not happening

Actually it might have, not because The Dark Army did it but Elliot's bomb threat.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Feenix posted:

That theory of taking over their body is extremely not loving likely because no parent would do that poo poo to their kid. Shoot them, beat them to hell, etc.

[Edit] ok some parents might but I think it’s been established that ACTUAL Elliot’s dad didn’t seem the type.

I agree. Mr. Robot looks like Elliot's dad but whether he's from Elliot's mind or another dimension or something, he's not Elliot's dad.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Snak posted:

A little late on this, but I didn't want to phone post it.

I think that "annexing the Congo" is a story-telling device. I mean, is it something that makes actual geo-political economic sense in the real world? No. But if you want to convey to the viewer some kid of tangible expression of political power, people know what annexation is. This is a show were we're already show and have accepted the level of information control and financial control that the major players have. How do you communicate clearly and concisely to someone that a giant organization with more power and money than can properly be conceived of by the average person has "won a major victory"? You can't just say "China made 10 trillion more dollars" and have it have any real weight as a plot point. Saying "China annexed another country" conveys a sense of tangible conquest.

I think it's a good concession to storytelling over realism.

I agree mostly. Show China is more powerful than irl China. ECorp is more powerful than any real corporation. Though I would say it is not so much 'unrealistic' as it is just that this show takes place in a different reality, if that makes sense.

It also fits with Zhang's character to annex a country for its resources even if they can control them well enough without doing it. Zhang is all about complete control not "enough control to get what I want." He wants all the resources, building his project (which I agree with others is most likely a time machine of some sort) will require more than just cheap access to Coltan. He is likely going to have to adapt most of the country's resources toward completing the project and will need all the wealth and control he can get to pull it off. He will also need to distract others and make it look like it is just a classic money grab when really it is all about his personal project/facility.

Zhang doesn't do the watch beeping but he is still time-obsessed. Like in his meeting with Pryce where he says "I only agree to this meeting because this room happens to be on my way out." To Pryce it sounds like a dickish power-play thing to say but to us we think he's not kidding, he really cares about every minute of each day.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Is everyone working in the dark army under the same situation that Dom is in? Like it seems Santiago was hinting at that. Irving was only doing this stuff to protect his family and his time is done now?

I think a lot of people who are not "in" the dark army but work for them are in that situation. So Santiago and many guys like him. But I'm guessing the masked guys might just get paid a whole lot and get a big payout to their family if they have to kill themselves. Certain people probably get shown whatever magic trick White Rose showed Angela. Irving also didn't threaten Dom's family until she refused to serve them even if it meant them killing her. So they at least have multiple tactics for manipulating people.

I imagine Irving was a loyalist at some point. He did hint that he had seen what Angela had seen in that scene where he talked about the amazing power of ribs. And he told White Rose's second he "used to be like him" so I think Irving is a long term loyalist and possible ex-lover of White Rose. I think if his family were threatened then he would not also be in a position to say he is taking a sabbatical to finish his novel, no matter how long he served unfailingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Tailored Sauce posted:

White Rose is mitochondrial eve and she'll have a time machine because this has all happened before :psylon:

No way man, the bible says Mitochondrial Eve, not Mitochondrial Steve!

• Locked thread