Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

So, according to Reman, the strike against his Protestant video was contested and they rebuffed him anyway, and now he has a strike against his account for three months over an overzealous DUP member.

:v:

So he made a video about Austria that brings it right back up again at a couple points :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lOqxSa-oLY

It's a good vid though.

I have placed an internal bug request with the Youtube team to rectify Reman's situation in regards to the video take down. I can't say that it will get acted upon, but, maybe they will be quicker to act. Will update if I hear back from that team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
DDRjake is doing a Cradle of Civilisation preview stream and at the start date the Mamluks are the 2nd great power. :staredog:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I just can't get over how much more fun this part of the map looks like it's going to be to play in. Though I'm interested to see how the AI Timurids fare; from the MP stream it didn't seem all that hard to keep things together but I would presume that the AI is much less likely to aggressively go for Ajam to keep the other vassals in line.

E:

Jake spent 150 years and like 5 hours of gameplay as a vassal because he was too stubborn to restart due to AQ and OE being BFFs :negative:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 11, 2017

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Reman getting that video taken down is really bad , especially because it was such a good guide for inexperienced players

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
I put in another bug report on it also, that seriously sucks. I got to watch it once but when I actually needed it it was already gone. :smith:

What's the best mod currently for making the game harder? I'd prefer something that focuses mostly on AI with some idea re balancing and whatnot. Something like Expert AI 2 for HOI4 or CK2+. There used to be an Extended Vanilla Experience mod that worked pretty well for me but, alas, it's not been updated in ages.

Also got a quick question, did the "hard" difficulty lobotomize the AI in a recent-ish patch? Playing as Austria fighting Bohemia and Silesia I found that sitting a stack on Prague infuriated them to the point that they, continually, send stacks of 1-10 units against my single 20 stack army. I stack wiped no less than 4 armies like that. The worst part was they had 20 stacks to begin with between Bohemia, Silesia, and Brandenburg. Was this a bug or do I need to play on normal to make the game harder? :???:

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

PopetasticPerson posted:

Also got a quick question, did the "hard" difficulty lobotomize the AI in a recent-ish patch? Playing as Austria fighting Bohemia and Silesia I found that sitting a stack on Prague infuriated them to the point that they, continually, send stacks of 1-10 units against my single 20 stack army. I stack wiped no less than 4 armies like that. The worst part was they had 20 stacks to begin with between Bohemia, Silesia, and Brandenburg. Was this a bug or do I need to play on normal to make the game harder? :???:

Did they have a larger army somewhere that they were trying to "unite" those small stacks with? To save on performance the AI only gets a certain number of armies they are actively controlling, with the exact number depending (I think) on nation size. The rest will usually just brainlessly zerg towards the actively controlled army.

This is of course, documented precisely nowhere :shrug:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You'd think with all the constant poo poo they keep adding to the game that they would have released an Europa universalis V with all the mechanics built in from the start so that people could pay less than some 200 euros to play this game with all of its content.

I stop playing this game for two months and Suddendly i'm forty bucks behind.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You have a valid complaint and they definitely should fold old DLC into the base game after a while to help out newcomers (and so that they can actually make all the new mechanics 100% integrated together) but there aren't that many DLC which are really essential to the game experience. It's still drat hard to get new players into the game though.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Mans posted:

You'd think with all the constant poo poo they keep adding to the game that they would have released an Europa universalis V with all the mechanics built in from the start so that people could pay less than some 200 euros to play this game with all of its content.

I stop playing this game for two months and Suddendly i'm forty bucks behind.

There hasn't been a DLC for 5 months.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rapner posted:

There hasn't been a DLC for 5 months.

And it was a super optional $10 regional DLC.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
EUIV and all the DLC since release (literally all, including the stupid poo poo nobody needs) would set you back less than anybody who plays yearly released console games like COD/FIFA exclusively has spent in that same time period.

The problem is on the Paradox side, how to get new people into the game, I don't think it's a consumer issue.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I've never seen this before :allears:

Also, while I'm posting pictures, I was really surprised to see Morocco doing so well in my game. Then all of a sudden, something magical happened:

Portugal moved their capital to the new world and now control Panama and Columbia, while Castile is down to just the Canarias. 2nd game in a row I've had that Morocco has been the dominant Iberian power.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

really queer Christmas posted:

Portugal moved their capital to the new world and now control Panama and Columbia, while Castile is down to just the Canarias. 2nd game in a row I've had that Morocco has been the dominant Iberian power.
drat that has pretty borders, too. I'm embarrassed that I cannot accomplish that as a player yet I have seen people posting about how the AI is doing it all the time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fellblade posted:

EUIV and all the DLC since release (literally all, including the stupid poo poo nobody needs) would set you back less than anybody who plays yearly released console games like COD/FIFA exclusively has spent in that same time period.

The problem is on the Paradox side, how to get new people into the game, I don't think it's a consumer issue.

I don't think it's even been a problem, EU4 seems to still be doing great. I get the impression it hit the end of the "every expansion sells more than the last" phase it was in up to Rights of Man, since I haven't seen devs bring that up since, but I dunno why everyone is acting like Paradox desperately needs to revise their strategy to actually draw new players.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Eh well for one we are not allowed to disclose exact numbers and it is a lot more "dangerous" to reveal even hints about how it is going since we became publicly traded because of regulations. Which is probably why you see it a lot less.
I should be able to say though I hope: Both EU4 and CK2 are doing real good still after all these years :agesilaus:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

really queer Christmas posted:

I've never seen this before :allears:

Also, while I'm posting pictures, I was really surprised to see Morocco doing so well in my game. Then all of a sudden, something magical happened:

Whoa when did they fix Andalusia's colour? It used to be a gross green that was a significant downgrade from Granada.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groogy posted:

Eh well for one we are not allowed to disclose exact numbers and it is a lot more "dangerous" to reveal even hints about how it is going since we became publicly traded because of regulations. Which is probably why you see it a lot less.
I should be able to say though I hope: Both EU4 and CK2 are doing real good still after all these years :agesilaus:
They're still a lot of fun to play. At least EU4 is, I don't have CK2 so I can't tell. :v:

gently caress Ming

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

gently caress Ming
Amen brother.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The harmonizing mechanic for Confucianism is amazing. It even encourages you to go humanism so revolts are never happening outside of events that directly spawn them regardless of what you do (it almost becomes boring to be honest). But mostly I just really enjoy making every religion the true faith. Gotta go on mad conquest to catch them all.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

drat that has pretty borders, too. I'm embarrassed that I cannot accomplish that as a player yet I have seen people posting about how the AI is doing it all the time.

It helps that they allied France after taking the southern half. Plus Castille kept getting involved in wars and got poo poo luck for monarchs. They didn’t leave the single digit techs until the late 1500s.

Eej posted:

Whoa when did they fix Andalusia's colour? It used to be a gross green that was a significant downgrade from Granada.

I’m using a map graphics mod so maybe it’s that?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the world is a vampire

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Running into a weird bug or maybe I'm just overlooking something.

I landed my army as Portugal(18 units) on Madeira. I got 8 transports docked in Madeira as well. Auto-transport wasn't working so I manually embarked my units and moved the transports away to ferry them back to the mainland. 8 units load fine onto the transport but for some reason the 10 units remaining just disappear. Anyone know whats going on here?

Its ironman but I crashed out before the auto-save so its repeatable.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

It comes down to what Tunisia, France and Castile are actually doing. If given the opportunity Morocco is a very strong nation, good ideas as well. Iberian AI being stupid enough to send 20 stacks into your desert death hells can help too.
You can actually try to play them like Castile, go get a colonial empire, ally the Ottomans + France, stomp everyone with mercs from your trade money.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I haven't played EU4 in about a year and I'm pretty overwhelmed. Development? Corruption? Sailors? Institutions? Is there a guide somewhere that just gets me up to speed on the stuff so I can go back to watching comets?

e: I think it's the curse of Paradox, where every game starts with a decent base and five expansions later there's twenty new counters to keep track of.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They are increasing Mandate cost for reforms from 50 to 70, that should make Ming much more punchable.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I'm trying to get this Odoyev achievement run done before the patch hits.

I killed Ryazan, then allied Muscovy and had them fight the Great Horde and took a bridge through them to Kazan. Fought Kazan and took the gold mine to push for renaissance. Then I flipped to Sunni, ate up the hordes and Lithuania, dropped Muscovy and allied Otto. Its 1510 now and I'm on about equal dev with Muscovy so I'm going to go murder him once I have enough favors.

Whats the best path to go to get the goods I need for all the Manufacturies? Tunnel through Timurids into India?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sprechensiesexy posted:

They are increasing Mandate cost for reforms from 50 to 70, that should make Ming much more punchable.

Jesus tits, argue all you want about whether things like worse penalties for low mandate and the like, but why isn't the easiest change being implemented?

All you need in that dev diary is:

code:
Changes:
- Mandate calculations do not track neighbours with which you have a truce or are at war.
Bam, taking Mandate is now no longer a trap.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Firebatgyro posted:

I'm trying to get this Odoyev achievement run done before the patch hits.

I killed Ryazan, then allied Muscovy and had them fight the Great Horde and took a bridge through them to Kazan. Fought Kazan and took the gold mine to push for renaissance. Then I flipped to Sunni, ate up the hordes and Lithuania, dropped Muscovy and allied Otto. Its 1510 now and I'm on about equal dev with Muscovy so I'm going to go murder him once I have enough favors.

Whats the best path to go to get the goods I need for all the Manufacturies? Tunnel through Timurids into India?

I would go south into Persia if I were you. It has the trade goods for every type of manufactory

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jeoh posted:

I haven't played EU4 in about a year and I'm pretty overwhelmed. Development? Corruption? Sailors? Institutions? Is there a guide somewhere that just gets me up to speed on the stuff so I can go back to watching comets?

e: I think it's the curse of Paradox, where every game starts with a decent base and five expansions later there's twenty new counters to keep track of.

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Europa_Universalis_4_Wiki

But in short:

Development is how built up a province is, and has 3 different stats for each of the Monarch Points. You can dump more points into a province to make it produce more stuff.

Corruption is meant to punish rapid expansion and such, I guess. Uncored provinces, low religious unity, and debasing currency (which gives you a flat sum of money) give you Corruption. Corruption makes things cost more and gives you maluses. Its okay and expected to have some Corruption, and debasing helps a lot getting a flow of income early on. But it takes a while to go down - you have to pay a certain percentage of your budget every month to reduce it.

Sailors is a meaningless number that will almost never impact your gameplay. I think it was put in as a joke.

Institutions are part of the new technology system. Instead of techgroups that give different parts of the world different tech costs, Institutions spawn based on certain criteria after set dates and slowly spread on the map, similar to Centers of Reformation. When the Institution has spread to enough of your provinces, you can embrace it for a cost and get its associated bonuses. Not adopting an Institution will slowly raise your tech cost every year up to 50%+, and lacking multiple Institutions will stack that cost. You can affect where Institutions spawn and spread by two methods:

1. Meeting the criteria ahead of time and hoping the initial spawn happens in your territory. For instance, one of the first Institutions that spawns comes around 1500, and goes to a random nation that has discovered the New World. A later one spawns in a province with a manufactory built, etc. Check the Institutions tab under Technology to find out what the criteria is, what bonuses it gives, and when it spawns.
2. You can force spawn an Institution by developing a province. Every point of development you increase a province by also increases the presence of the oldest existing Institutions you do not have in that province. Since Institutions spread from province to province, and the cost to embrace the Institution is based on the total development of provinces it has appeared in against those it hasn't, you'll want to spawn an Institution in this manner next to other high value provinces. Keep in mind that this can be pretty expensive in terms of Monarch Points, and your neighbors can potentially leapfrop off your back without spending any points on Development.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Bam, taking Mandate is now no longer a trap.

It would be nice if the MoH was more rewarding to adopt for a player but I feel like fixing the extremely negative gameplay impact Ming has on all starts in India or East Asia is more important, which this change might hopefully achieve? Though it does also make taking the Mandate even shittier.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oddium posted:

the world is a vampire

No child can be Khan!

Dipshit McGoo (0/1/0) is our new ruler.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Yes clearly the reforms are the issue with Persia being a tributary in 15 loving 20.

This does nothing, what needs to be changed is how easy someone becomes a tributary and even more so, how easily they stay one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I like how in the dev clash the north indian team was like "welp bengal is a tributary, all our strategies are ruined." Why can bengal become a tributary to a ming who hasn't expanded at all? Just, like, a default possible tributary? Paradox doesn't see an issue in that but it seems crazy to me. Tributaries should be something that's difficult to get for countries that aren't your immediate neighbors.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Yes clearly the reforms are the issue with Persia being a tributary in 15 loving 20.

This does nothing, what needs to be changed is how easy someone becomes a tributary and even more so, how easily they stay one.

There was supposed to be a diplo change to how easily the AI will accept becoming a tributary of a distant overlord but I don't remember seeing that on the finished patchnotes.

The improved building AI is no joke though, I've been watching a preview stream playthrough and the OE has 200 income and a 300k man forcelimit in 1600. Yeah it's on VH but still.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I like how in the dev clash the north indian team was like "welp bengal is a tributary, all our strategies are ruined." Why can bengal become a tributary to a ming who hasn't expanded at all? Just, like, a default possible tributary? Paradox doesn't see an issue in that but it seems crazy to me. Tributaries should be something that's difficult to get for countries that aren't your immediate neighbors.

Yeah this seems completely bizarre to me, Ming getting involved in India should be extremely unusual, not "oh well that happened". Especially considering Bengal isn't even some random minor, they're extremely wealthy and probably at the bottom end of the top tier states in India.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tahirovic posted:

5 guaranteed windows where they will be at 30% mandate for a while. That's very useful if you are playing a horde in the north and looking to cause a Mingsplosion.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sprechensiesexy posted:

5 guaranteed windows where they will be at 30% mandate for a while. That's very useful if you are playing a horde in the north and looking to cause a Mingsplosion.

The best way to blow up Ming as a Manchu is to jump on them immediately before they can reform poo poo anyway.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Right, this is the problem. 99% of games are non-Hordes to the north of Ming. Therefore this doesnt fix a goddamn thing. If the Ming bullshit "having tributaries in the Urals and Persia before 1500" isnt fixed I am not buying another expansion. I dont care about being able to cause a Mingsplosion - I care about Ming having so many tributaries that they never flinch because they are constantly ahead on tech and rich beyond belief.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Right, this is the problem. 99% of games are non-Hordes to the north of Ming. Therefore this doesnt fix a goddamn thing. If the Ming bullshit "having tributaries in the Urals and Persia before 1500" isnt fixed I am not buying another expansion. I dont care about being able to cause a Mingsplosion - I care about Ming having so many tributaries that they never flinch because they are constantly ahead on tech and rich beyond belief.

Yeah. It's actually fine in the first hundred years or so, but after that Ming should at least have a reasonable chance of exploding or losing something without player intervention, which never happens and Ming stays a superpower all through the game up to 1800 which is kinda ridiculous

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TorakFade posted:

Yeah. It's actually fine in the first hundred years or so, but after that Ming should at least have a reasonable chance of exploding or losing something without player intervention, which never happens and Ming stays a superpower all through the game up to 1800 which is kinda ridiculous

In my games they have plenty of issues with rebels popping up but their endless swarms deal with it. In theory if their swarms get weakened by lack of mandate the rebels should be more likely to break Ming.

And Indian minors tending to become tributaries has never really bothered me since there is nearly always some weird web of alliances that I can exploit without provoking Ming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sprechensiesexy posted:

In my games they have plenty of issues with rebels popping up but their endless swarms deal with it. In theory if their swarms get weakened by lack of mandate the rebels should be more likely to break Ming.

And Indian minors tending to become tributaries has never really bothered me since there is nearly always some weird web of alliances that I can exploit without provoking Ming.
Not to pick on you but to elaborate on why I am so adamant about proper change being made - your individual experiences are less important than what is possible within the rules and why it is a.) unfun as a player playing a single player game and b.) a-historical to an extreme degree. The fact that it is (1)so easy for an Indian/Persian/Russian Steppe minor to become a tributary is bogus; (2)Ming is so powerful that minors often drop all of their other alliances so they are protected solely by Ming, and thus there is no other way to attack them; (3)Ming will throw 200,000 thousand soldiers across the globe to protect said minor without hesitation; (4)Ming can afford to a.) have an army that large b.) send it across Asia for a non-neighboring country that pays them 1 Monarch Power a year in tribute and c.) Ming does not get dogpiled by other tributaries/enemies while their army is on the other side of the planet because ???; (5)Ming's tributaries have almost no liberty desire unless they are large enough to be one of the top 8 World Powers, and even then they do not cancel tributary status without extreme player intervention making Ming temporarily look weak or absurdly rare cases of Ming actually having trouble with rebels. Then if a tributary does cancel Ming just goes apeshit on them when they recover from the player-intervention after pppbbbttt 6 months because they still have two dozen tributaries sending them MP and/or Cash.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 14, 2017

• Locked thread