Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That was quite interesting. And the advantages of not being an AAA studio, which is known as "too big to succeed". Is Paradox an AA or just an A size anyway? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DeeEmTee posted:

I just had the weirdest bug happen. The Papal State annexed Florence and then a coalition formed against me. I was in no way involved in the war.
Papal spindoctors? But what AE did you have? As far as I know the AI usually does coalition stuff outside of wars so maybe the game recalculated for coalitions and other relations when Florence disappeared.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm really not looking forward to westernizing as Ternate. All those islands and not a chance to even have forts on a quarter of them. :suicide:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

aeglus posted:

It shouldn't be too bad as long as those islands don't also have separatism. If you're really worried, boost autonomy on them all. Westernization is only +5 unrest and boosting autonomy takes care of 10 unrest. As long as you have positive stability you probably won't even have to do that.
I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about all the event spawned regressionists that are going to set back progress by a ton instantly when they show up.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I agree. Denmark needs a buff.
Bornholm could use a defense boost yes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Star posted:

I've never played The Mamluks so I thought I give it a go and hopefully do the Arabian Coffee achievement, and I have to say that it's one of the more fun countries I've played lately. Good economy, large army and really intense starting position as you pretty much have to hurry all you can to take down the Ottomans before they get going. It's around 1500 and I've managed to kick them completely out of modern-day Turkey so now they're a small state in the Balkans. I would leave them alone from now on and hope that either Hungary or Venice take them out, but I am not sure I can trust them to actually get it done and I sure as hell don't want them trying to reclaim their cores.
You can never trust the Ottoman to stay dead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Finally westernized as Ternate and I only had 3 unavoidable hits to the progress. First an event to set me back 120 points (or utterly cripple the kingdom by converting to Catholic) and two event spawned assholes who set me back 10 points a piece because I couldn't reach them in under a month. Oh, and I had the bullshit of an event spawning ten thousand noble rebels in a freaking 500 man colony.

Is there a cap on development?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

kharaa posted:

The cost can exceed your monarch point cap, as far as I know that's the only "cap" to it.
If only there was a way to downgrade your techgroup to raise the cap. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

*The other 10% is using the 1500 map here to divide the historical populations of the various countries into provinces
The 1600 map is really depressing when you compare it to the 1500. :smith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jackson Taus posted:

Would there be benefit to doing a new learning LP for EU4? I feel like so much has changed since the original release, even without DLC.
I don't think anyone would say no to that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trujillo posted:

Can anyone tell me why I wouldn't be able to core these or is this a bug?

You can't core provinces when you're at war with someone who also has cores on them, I think.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nope, but in my Ternate game they're conquering Japan instead. Ming is kinda powerful, and somehow only 0-1 military techs behind France.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Obliterati posted:

So I'm trying to siege an island fort (not to actually take it, just to keep France from taking it as it's their wargoal against Spain) and suddenly my troops can't walk back onto the transports. Is this WAD and if not how on earth do I get my troops to grasp the concept of 'walk to the beach'?
Forts zone of control prevents you from moving into nearby zones past them, and sea zones count for that for some reason.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I learned about it when I dropped a large army on a fort up in Norway with a low supply limit and couldn't get back away from it and ate attrition like you wouldn't believe

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also in the 1.13 beta, when you're in enemy territory you can't disband units which could leave you unable to relieve horrible attrition in a situation like this.

Wiz, you either gotta fix all the possible situations where you can't move your troops, or bring back the ability to disband troops in enemy territory.
I noticed. So many died earlier today. gently caress all-jungle-provinces nations going defensive ideas. :suicide:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why do the one Siberian nations have a national idea for extra colony growth if they never take any ideas which grant them colonists? Not that they would put any points in them before it's all gobbled up anyway.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Koramei posted:

So that if a player decides to play them it can be a slightly less tedious experience. AI Siberians aren't really supposed to do anything other than let Japan take Hokkaido and the Manchus expand a little bit more.
Ah, of course.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Make the colonization a lot more interesting by forcing Portugal and Spain to not take exploration first. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tsyni posted:

I can't believe how properly I play this game. Just the best.
You are an inspiration to us all. :patriot:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I keep getting messages that the truce between me and one of my vassals or colonial nations has ended. It's been several decades since I vassalized anyone and any real truce is long gone. Never been to war against my CN. They turn up a while after finishing war, is there something that forces a truce with your allies and such who go to war on your side when the war is over?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Walh Hara posted:

My latest start was in the area of Constantinople as a christian theocracy, but I doubt it's optimal.
No, that's pretty much THE optimal location for conquest as far as I know. The only bad things are the extra distance to the new world if you plan to do colonizing and dealing with all those sunni provinces if they are heretic or heathen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Donald Duck posted:

That war exhaustion probably ended the war by itself. I feel like taking 17.5 in one battle shouldnt be possible
It might just a summary of everyone's total war exhaustion? Then it wouldn't be too unreasonable. Kinda useless information but at least less insane. But I've no idea if that's actually the case.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Randarkman posted:

• Related to the hugbox, I've seen Portugal and Castille convert the entirety of Morocoo to Catholic way too many times, historically they could not even convert the small areas they actually conquered and ruled. I guess this is due to all the missionary strength they receive from the combination of decisions and religious ideas. Many of these decisions should be changed to only give missionary strength vs. heretics (like the counter-reformation decision), or Muslim provinces should impose further penalties on missionary strength.
No, no, no, no, NO! It's already painful enough to deal with Muslim provinces as it is without adding more crap. If the Iberians had been able to conquer the North African coast as thoroughly in real life they would probably had managed to converted them. The whole area living under Catholic rule for a few generations with an active inquisition is likely to be successful (and quite inhumane).

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Qing takeover of China is pretty similar. Obviously it took longer, but China is also a far far bigger prize. In both cases, a(n equally heavy-handed) decision could work too I think.
The Manchu never gets strong enough to take on Ming. Ming just has way too much armies, manpower, money and military tech for Manchu to even stand a chance. :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Just changing some of the +missionary strength that catholics have access to to +missionary strength against heretics though would not really be tacking on stuff. It's just that as far as I have experienced it seems that the AI for Castille and Portugal is way too successful at conquering the entirety of the Maghreb and turning all of it into catholics. Spain actually did rule over a substantial part of Morocoo for quite a long time though and won very few converts historically. They quickly erased Islam in Granada because those who did not convert were exiled, that's a bit harder to do in a large foreign country that's mostly deserts and mountains. Also the Inquisition would have been very little help as they were in fact not at all involved in converting people to Christianity, they only had jurisdiction over Christians and their efforts against Muslims and Jews was pretty much entirely dedicated to making sure that those that had already been converted stayed converted (also worth noting that Inquisitors were jurists, not priests, theologians or missionaries).

The real problem anyway is that the hugbox allows the Iberians to dogpile the helplessly outnumbered Bebers. So this is pretty much a side note.
I see. And I completely agree with the hugbox. But if the Iberians don't always manage to dogpile the Berbers there's no need to screw with missionary stuff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So my Ternate game ended up with the Aspiration for Liberty and I turned into a republic. A constitutional republic. Which requires 26 seats. That's +52% cost of increasing stability. It took me a while to figure out where the button was to assign seats but in retrospect it's almost obvious it would be up in the corner where you assign a new capital or trade collection center.

Cheating with the console has an amazing ability, you can force the Abolish Slavery event on a province to make it produce unknown trade goods and effectively reroll the crappy gold into something more useful, like grain or wool. No more treasure fleet inflation. It even works on provinces not owned by you, such as your colonial nations. :toot:

Fuligin posted:

I believe Muscovy's provinces got some pretty significant development buffs in the last beta patch. I'm not really sure how you make them any stronger without just directly nerfing Lithuania (which is really frightening these days) and the hordes. Maybe their missions could give them cores instead of claims? I know devs are philosophically disinclined to do that, however. It remains excruciating to watch Russia snake jump the Urals over Kazan and start bridging east tho.
Yeah, in my current game Russia east of the Urals is just a thin line on top of all those scary scary hordes they could easily beat if they weren't too scared to wage war. :ohdear:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ming has barely expanded at all in my Ternate game, despite having twice as large an army than the next AI, the Ottomans. I'm only in second place. And it's only lately that they have fallen behind the west in military tech. They also have really good generals, somehow.

Koramei posted:

It should be painful. North Africa was never properly conquered during this period. I think it being super hard to convert would be perfect; Spain can still conquer and core the territories, but it will never be able to have a fully secure hold on them without taking serious interest.
It already is painful with the extra coring cost and 75% autonomy. I guess you could give the Berber's extra penalty to missionary strength but it makes no sense why they would resist it more than any other place. And general changes can easily screw things over completely in, say, Asia. But if uprisings are improved it might not be necessary as they might actually be able to break free, which is impossible right now unless Spain gets 100% occupied for a few years followed by a disaster and somehow losing their ludicrous trade income that negates being at 0 manpower forever.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Gold provinces are anything but crappy. You just need to manage your inflation better.
No, gold provinces for colonial nations are terrible and continuously throw treasure fleets at you that increases your inflation (even if the gold income is low enough that you wouldn't have any inflation if the mines were in your nation). Getting economic ideas is not always viable and certainly isn't fun to be forced to take. Master of the mint is unreliable at best, too much rng and I don't want to spend several treasure fleets worth of cash to dismiss advisors and maybe get one. Certainly not since even if the correct advisor shows up he might just be a crappy level 1 or an overly expensive level 3.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tsyni posted:

There is also the papal inflation reduction, if you're catholic.
The majority of the world isn't though. Especially not in south east Asia. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jsor posted:

Good job, guys! Go get that OPM!
There might be more soldiers there than actual people living in the area. What's their attrition like? :stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Node posted:

I have a regency council (Interregnum) as Byzantium. And my heir died.

It's been this way for quite some time now. I'm going to get an heir, right...?

e: Great. It's a loving von Hapsburg.
Of course it is. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

Rivalries do seem messed up since CS. As Ayutthaya i westernized and almost immediately got rivaled by England, Spain and Russia, none of whom I (yet) border. Europe is an extremely peaceful place because all these idiots are rivaling me instead. Meanwhile my real enemy Ming, despite being bigger than me and equal in military tech (while Chinese tech group, gg Paradox), isn't a valid rival.

All I need to do to get Indochina cored is integrate Hsenwi and then gently caress this campaign, having all of Europe breathing down my neck makes no sense.
There's a tech level limit for rivals, Chinese and Western tech groups are too far apart. I have the same issue in my Ternate game with Europeans rivaling me and start circle jerking each other with the relation bonus from sharing rival.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SeaTard posted:

If you're going to do that, just fire the event that creates whatever trade good you want.
I just want any trade good that's not gold and picked that event so I wouldn't just get good or out of place trade goods, like tea or silk. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OneTwentySix posted:

Treasure fleets are kind of messed up.

If 18.87 ducats of gold each month raises my inflation by .03/year, why does a smaller amount as a one time thing cause ten times the inflation? That amount is 6.1% of that month's income, or roughly 0.5% of the yearly income. I mean, I regularly take hundreds, sometimes thousands of ducats in treaties, and I don't think that has as much of an effect as what basically amounts to what my leader might find in his couch cushions. I get that treasure from the New World caused inflation issues, but shouldn't it be scaled to the gold production in the Old World? Even if I'd received the entire fleet, that's only about five months of gold production.
Treasure fleets are indeed kind of messed up. I really like the idea, but the inflation is just too much to be worth it. Why would I want to gain money from something that adds a lot of inflation when I could just get money from things that only give me a little or none at all?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

France is evil, Great Britian is a bitch
Those two things, at least, are true.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In my Ternate game I invaded a Muslim country in south east Asia and they brought in the defender of the faith, a large nation in northern India (go ahead and ask what their religious unity was like :v:'). They couldn't reach me at all because of Bengal and Dehliblocking them from reaching the rest of the continent and both were their rivals so they couldn't get military access. Completely pointless.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jsor posted:

How about "offender of the faith" where you're forced to send a diplomatic insult to every country of a different religion?
I already do that whenever my diplomats aren't doing anything useful.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I decided on a calm and relaxing game as England, after two restarts I gave up on unionizing France and was going to work over Scotland instead when suddenly the king of Castile died and dragged me into a succession war against Aragon who got all cranky about who was going to inherit those huge tracts of land. This game I'm thinking of colonizing as much as possibly of North America and immediately releasing every colonial nation that forms. Just because I can, and I'm curious if I can create a thunderdome in that area. To make it more interesting and fair for everyone, myself not included, I tag switched to Portugal and Castile and made them abandon exploration for trade ideas instead. It's more fun if all colonizers start at the same time in my opinion.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yashichi posted:

This only happens if the province isn't near a fort at all.
And that NEVER happens. Especially not if you're too poor to blanket your lands with fort zones. Or your provinces are all poo poo developed so there's no space to add more than one building in them and it costs way too much to raise them up the 7! steps to reach 10 or the 7-9 to reach 20 with all the coastal, hills, jungle and tropical gently caress you modifiers. In case you can't tell, I'm slightly bitter about it. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally managed to unionize France as England. In 1510 (a hundred years too late? :v: ). But France was kinda down to 13 provinces after losing them to me, Burgundy, Aragorn and Brittany (my marsh). They also had had to release some provinces. Now to go after Burgundy and make them release the French land they so greedily stole, as soon as all this AE drops a bit. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

All advisors are women, that's kinda unusual. Two of them are from events and the price reduction really helps.

My king died, and then the heir died during regency. It's been a few years now and still no new ruler. Just pull out the sword already!

• Locked thread