Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reL
May 20, 2007
So what are the baselines I need/need to get used to to be prepared for goon multiplayer? Having only played some EU3 multiplayer briefly across a couple quickly-dead games, I don't really know the etiquette that you fellas have developed regarding gamespeed, pausing, diplomacy amongst players/peacedeals, etc. Any pointers, as I'd like to not being going in blind when I (eventually) get involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reL
May 20, 2007
I mean, I know The Ottomans are easymode, but it's ~1550 and I'm on par with tech, have egypt, levant, balkans, and I"m knocking on Austria's door. All cored, no revolt issues, almost 3 idea trees complete... and I've also invested a decent amount in development due to having so many MP and not wanting to take techs too early.

I don't get what the fuss is about. I can see the issue for Muslim/Asian/American nations, but so far as a still-Ottoman-group Ottomans I'd say I'm doing better than I was playing this same campaign a week ago.

reL
May 20, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.

~1550 and Austria is just a couple votes shy of proclaiming themselves hereditary Emperor. This despite them being repeatedly pounded into the ground by France/Ottomans.

I've actually never seen the AI get this far through the votes on its own, though I don't have a lot of hours put in.

reL
May 20, 2007
For the Master of India achievement, do the Ottomans qualify as a European nation? I presume with their capital being in Europe, and all...

reL
May 20, 2007

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's a good country for someone trying to get back into the game but who doesn't want to play one of the "Newbie" nations, like ottomans, england, castille, or austria?

Ottomans were easymode and I haven't played since before Art of War.

Just watch your overextension because, goddamnit. :downsowned:

I got cocky en route to the "core all of India" achievement and forgot to pay attention to what my OE was at... those revolts have all happened in <6 months. There goes all those hours

reL
May 20, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Which mod is this again? I didn't see it in the OP.

Illusionary Flat Political Mapmode v1.0
TBARW EXTRA: White Font
TBARW EXTRA: Thick Borders and recolored water ver. 1.3

Those are three I'm running in that screenshot.

reL
May 20, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So south america has eaten 6 explorers so far and given me a tiny bit of prestige and about 50 adm points... gently caress these jungles.

My explorers also love to walk into other civilizations that are having massive revolts and fight their 15 stack rebel army.

Ok yeah so this is my first time using the El Dorado exploration features, and I've lost ~400 MIL just replacing conquistadors at this point. I'm having to abandon exploration to allow myself to catch up in tech. Is this the usual? I've been running 2 at once so I guess that's my mistake here.

reL
May 20, 2007
So is the English Civil war an inevitability? I had a solid run as England completely destroyed by the English Civil War. I loaded up the save, wherein previously I had no ticking "Looming Disasters" only to show that I had the ECW looming disaster. Looked at the single modifier to cause it ticking at +1 per month, and it was "No Debate in Parliament." But that's because I had just finished a debate, successfully (for the 11 straight achievement, so good timing there), and had the 10 year cooldown modifier before I could start the next.

Wound up with Cromwell winning because I'm an idiot and sided with him. His 0 diplomacy stat meant that integrating France went from an initial expected end date of 1636, to 1656, and on Cromwell's death the PU dissolved at 70% integrated! Wonderful!

reL
May 20, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

is there any way to make the AI stop doing this.

You can select your troops and uncheck "Attach to this army" if the base unit in that screenshot is yours.

edit: I'll usually leave it unchecked for all but one army while I'm chasing down larger forces and smashing them up, and once I force retreats or wipe the larger forces opposing me I'll uncheck it for that army, too.

reL
May 20, 2007
So to those talking about using mercenaries, I've decided to give it a go in my most recent Poland game. Right now I'm running 16-8-8 stacks, with all 16 infantry being mercenary. The cost has been a factor that I've had to dance around, which is manageable, but my bigger question is about replacements. I just teched to.. 12 or 13? Whereever you get the Eastern Musketeers. At this point my mercenary purchase window has 27 pike infantry and 3 musketeers.

Do I just have to make due with legacy troops for a little while after each infantry upgrade? Is it recommended to buyout the existing mercenaries in the ledger to try and get the list to fill out with updated troops more quickly? Is it really financially feasible to do this? I'm not exactly a trading empire as The Commonwealth (should I be?).

Also is rolling 16merc-8-8 excessive? Those that are using mercenaries heavily, do you split your infantry in half merc/prof, or?

reL
May 20, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Even as Poland I do not know if I would run 8 Cav. Regardless, I would base my decision to run all merc infantry on my manpower situation: If you are a united Commonwealth I would hope your manpower reserves would be respectable. Also, if you are running Poland (and running 8 cav, heh) you probably have Aristocratic which gives you a manpower boost. If you are rich but short on manpower I would not hesitate to run merc infantry, especially if you took Admin ideas, however based on what you said, the price has been rough, so you could go 50/50 on the merc infantry if you want to save some manpower by spending some cash on mans.

Yeah I'm looking at ~80k, however I'm also staring down the barrel at The Ottomans and a united Muscovy, so I'm probably going to stick to an at least mostly-merc infantry arrangement. If only I could ensure that they hit the meatgrinder before my precious professional army whenever they engage.

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: it comes up a ton but my standard stack is 8/4/8 with an additional 2-4 merc infantry hired at the start of the war. Before 1600 use less artillery. If you want to pinch pennies do 10/2/8, though keep in mind cavalry do actually have some additional utility in Common Sense since they're extra good at Looting. You're missing out on a lot of sweet cash if you don't detach your cav (and maybe some friends) to hop around occupying and looting provinces while you siege the nearby fort.

Yeah typically I try to make my stacks divisible by 4 and scale up as some have discussed, as I'm lazy, so I'd be 16/4/12 when supply limits allow. (also when I'm not rolling an intentionally cav-heavy Poland)

That said, does the AI consider standing army size, or merely manpower + forcelimits, when sizing you up?

I've kept the mercs around as a standard army simply because I've always kind of worked under the assumption that if I stayed 30 divisions under my forcelimits I'd be drawing in some unwanted attention.

If the latter is the case, and I can safely stick below my forcelimits without winding up in some unwanted wars I'll probably just drop my infantry count by half, make them all professional, and fill out the other half at wartime with mercs.

reL fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 23, 2015

reL
May 20, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Savoy won the Burgundian inheritance? Haven't seen that before.

This happened really early in one of my Poland false starts.

reL
May 20, 2007
Anyone get the odd behavior where you'll move an army into a province of a nation you're at war with and they'll just stand there side by side with the enemy army, taking attrition and not sieging? And then I guess you can just move them off the province and back and it'll fix itself? Is this WAD? I can't remember the specifics, but I think I've only seen it happen within the HRE. Is it some mechanic trying to stop me from gaming the HRE war mechanics by putting armies in provinces of nations I'm about to DOW or something?

reL
May 20, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

If you're trying to put troops in enemy land before you declare war, there is in fact a mechanic in place to prevent you from doing that. IIRC your armies in enemy territory automatically become exiled when you declare. That's why they don't do anything until you move them back to your own territory.

Ok, so, do you have any idea when that calculation is done? I can't remember from which province I issued the move order, but the scenario goes like this:

Army is in Brandenburg's territory; I have military access.
I issue a move order to Nassau, owned by a currently-neutral nation. I am able to issue this move order because I am at war with the emperor.
I make peace with emperor and immediately DOW nation I'm en route to.
Army arrives in province during a state of war; proceeds to tailgate.

I mean, I figure since a day passes between the peace with the emperor, and then war with Mainz, that during that day where I don't have the rights to move to Nassau that it'd cancel out my move order. I guess that's not the case? I'll toy with it.

reL
May 20, 2007
On the flipside my line of max-level forts allowed my 120 divisions as the Commonwealth to defeat an Ottoman force that numbered upwards of 200 divisions. Between attrition, military NIs, mercs, and a collection of reaaaaally good generals I just had to wait 'em out and pick my battles. After about 3 years of back and forth fighting they were down to near-zero manpower and I was able to push through the balkans and occupy right up to Constantinople, without ever having them successfully occupy a province.

I feel like, even with high level forts, this sort of defensive back-and-forth wouldn't have been possible pre-CS. Wouldn't they just be able to assault down my forts and push right into my territory as they'd like, causing my WE to skyrocket? As I was able to afford a line of high level forts I created a defensive perimeter against the Ottomans pretty early on, as they were an absolute beast, and when I needed it all those extra ducats paid off.

reL
May 20, 2007
So with the fact that Rome will allow painless westernization, is the recommended Tunis strategy to try and grab it early on? Or will that just wind up getting you poo poo on? I've never taken Rome as a muslim country, I'm not sure what sort of dogpile to expect.

reL
May 20, 2007
Any recommendations on forming Netherlands with Holland? 1446 Burgundian inheritance fired, before I had a chance to declare independence and take Breda. I have Utrecht and I'm in a position to DOW Gelre which will allow me to annex Gelre and Friesland via an (iffy) war.

If I DOW Gelre, make peace with Friesland by making them my vassal, and then annex Gelre into Friesland, will Friesland give Gelre up to Austria when they inevitably demand their imperial territory?

I'm allied with France, but I'm not sure if that will be even close to enough to help me snipe Breda, should I just restart and hope the inheritance doesn't fire immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reL
May 20, 2007

Another Person posted:

In my Jaunpur hell game, I ran an army which had all merc infantry. I never worried about manpower. Only time I ever had non-merc inf was when I integrated a vassal. The only downside was when infantry tech would advance. I wish Paradox would just add a "Upgrade mercs" button like with ships. Make it cost the same, just save me the time of rebuilding them.

As the PLC in my last game I would click build all and then have that be my only army with "attach to this unit" checked. Turning my ~25 stack into a 50 stack to to swing around without having to worry about attrition was pretty convenient.

• Locked thread