Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My plan for an Italy game became less fun seeming when I realised that North Italy has an obscene amount of super expensive (to core) provinces. I might try another Mughal game or maybe Manchu or a Turkish minor just for core cost reduction.

Also now my game won't start :(

Jolan posted:

Growing wide is terribly expensive and growing tall is terribly expensive, not to mention peace deal costs that've shot through the roof. I'm not liking this at all so far. Hopefully a fresh start tomorrow will change my outlook, but I fear it's just too many changes at once for an old guy like me.

I'm ok with it in theory, my main caveats are that 1. AI development spam is going to make the mid game terrible 2. Non-Westerners are going to have a worse time due to generally having fewer discretionary monarch points and 3. Administrative and Development Efficiency are too backloaded to have any impact on most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

So, uh, my game won't launch at all. I played as the Teutonic Order to try out the new Theocracy and fort/zone of control mechanics, got about 30 years in and quit for dinner. Now I cannot launch the game at all, despite having restarted my computer, Steam, and verifying the game cache twice.

:siren: Delete all out of date mods and unsubscribe on the Workshop :siren:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

One thing I would seriously consider at this point is increasing the base MP generation to 4/4/4, especially since one of the main complaints about MP costs being high is that you can get hosed on one type of income with bad ruler stats. 7 points per month with a 0 stat ruler, +1 adviser and focus seems pretty acceptable - that means maybe 3 years income to take a high value province. On the other hand your 5 stat +2 adviser guy with focus is only going from 12 to 13 points of income. There's a ton more MP sinks in general than there used to be and everything is more expensive on top of that so a general increase in income seems fair.

Also maaaybe diplo annex could get made a tiny bit cheaper since it feels like a worse deal now than just straight up annexing provinces, doubly so if you grab Admin ideas early. I guess they really want people to use marches.

Furthermore, increased coring costs must be destroyed.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Warring is so much better now I don't even know what to say, yeah expanding is a bit more restricted now but it's a lot more satisfying to beat people up and the new way looting works is fun.

Other than reducing the cost of diplo annexing by maybe 1 or 2 points per development my only criticism so far other than bugs is that it's way too easy to keep super high PP because you can humiliate in every war and do poo poo like humiliate + vassal in a single war vs. low development targets. This probably works out OK in most regions but in the Indian Thunderdome it's easy to keep a constant 75+ PP.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I was surprised to see that Hamburg is now richer than Lubeck and I'm pretty sure it's actually the richest province in Germany proper now. I guess this will probably make starting as Hamburg less difficult, though since vassals now have nerfed force limits compared to independent states it might actually be harder.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Hey Wiz, any comment on Increased Coring Cost now that coring as a whole is more expensive? I know that it just got standardised down to a lower level for most modifiers but that doesn't stop it from being a big "never own these provinces" flag unless it's a gold province or trade node or something. It's kind of terrible having parts of the map effectively off limits and doubly so when some shitass conquers a province you had your eye on and cores it and then suddenly it's 50% more expensive.

Hell if we have to make it obnoxious for some reason make it "increased Separatism" or "permanent +5 years of Separatism that stacks with the regular kind". Just leave my monarch points alone :(

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Bishop Rodan posted:

Any word on whether the hotfix will improve performance?

They're fixing AI bugs which are causing spammy behaviour that impact performance, so yes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

firestruck posted:

Kazan has pretty decent ideas (if you westernize/reform pretty quickly, otherwise they aren't too great compared to generic horde NIs), Uzbek and Oirat are both decently big, Golden Horde is tricky but I'm pretty sure they're decently strong at the moment, same with Crimea. Challenge mode is Mongolia, definitely.

Huh, I just kind of realised that Kazan is going to keep its unique NIs when it reforms, right? That's pretty great, and I think one of only two ways of having no reinforcement cost while westernised (the other way is being Manchu and reforming to Qing).

I am considering a Manchu game, how much beefier is Ming now with their buffs?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I hate the new fort mechanic, so I'm placing them in every province to get something as close to the vanilla experience as possible.

Hello wrong opinion haver

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Re: RT, generally you want to keep reelecting people until you're between 40 and 50 RT since that's the threshold for a sweet event which lets you trade 1 stability for 20 RT, but don't go below 40 since then you get a republican dictatorship.

This fucks with your stability a bit but you'll have such a huge MP income that it doesn't matter.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Can't wait to build a university :getin:

How'd you get that land reform modifier?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

And +20 Infantry Combat Ability, and +0.5 AT, and -1 AT Decay. Prussian ideas are crazy awesome.

Thanks for reminding me I didn't play a Prussia game yet in CS, I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Anyone know if it's WAD that being the aggressor in a rival-based succession war in the HRE counts as declaring a no CB war and thus puts the Emperor on the defending side? I assume that this is what happened as I was starting Brandenburg + 2 provinces so I assume that Austria wouldn't have been able to rival me due to their being so much more powerful than me, and they definitely weren't allied with anyone else involved in the war.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

This is basically the same as consoling monarch points since I think Hamburg is the only European nation with RT ideas.

Hamburg is fun to play as and owns.

Re: Prussia chat, forming Prussia as the TO makes you lose your theocracy government, right? From reading the event files though it seems like Riga or Magdeburg would be able to form Prussia and still stay as a theocracy, which might be interesting.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, the TO gets a unique decision to form Prussia which removes them and all their provinces from the HRE and switches to a monarchy. The LO and others can form Prussia without a government switch or losing HRE status I believe.

Oh right, I forgot that the LO is also Prussian culture, whoops. I might try a game as them some time now that theocracies are a bit more interesting, forming Germany as a Protestant theocracy seems like it would be fun.

Magdeburg also has the interesting distinction of being the only country which can form both Westphalia and Prussia without moving capital or culture shifting though there isn't a cunning way to exploit this or anything.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

What's a good starting strategy and idea plan for Brandenburg?

Ally Poland day 1, rival TO, declare for Neumark and have Poland beat the poo poo out of them, get Neumark + Marienburg + whatever, fabricate on Pommerania's capital, take that + vassal them, now you can core your provinces in Prussia and you have claims on all Prussian provinces; in the next war with TO take all of the Baltic trade power provinces and then proceed to get rich as gently caress.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The AI definitely needs a bit of shoring up what with all the fort changes and development etc, I hope it gets focused on for the next minor patch or two.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

A tip if you're like me and you get irrationally angry at the Italy decision forcing you into being a monarchy: it lets you keep your previous government type if you're a theocratic government. I think that I would probably grade Aquileia as a 'challenging start' since you're an OPM vassal of Venice but on the plus side they usually have a lot of enemies who might be able to be enticed into helping you break free.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Allyn posted:

Italy become rich as gently caress in the last patch with the development changes, and has a large amount of control over two of the three end nodes.

You also get a ton of free bonus tax income from being the Pope.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Seeing that screenshot reminds me: the AI papacy is crazy as gently caress now, in one game they annexed about 80% of Naples before 1450 :gonk:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I only recently got El Dorado when it went on sale but the Nation Designer is really good. My favourite use for it so far is using it to replace lovely loving increased coring costs countries with more interesting, less awful ones.

Also it was great when unified Hindu Republic Rajputana and the Shia Theocracy I set up in Central India decided to have an epic war to see who was the best designed nation which ended up putting almost all of India into one gigantic fight.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Was there an ETA on the patch that redoes development costs? I think that might be a good time to start a new non-European game.

I swear I saw end of June somewhere - which would be next week some time I guess - but that seems too soon for another patch.

And yeah don't be surprised if the development thing goes through slightly differently to what was discussed on the forums otherwise every grassland province is going to end up with gigantic amounts of development and everything else will be lovely wastelands. Either the terrain penalties will be reduced or the scaling increasing % cost will be more than 1% per development or possibly both. The reduced number of buildings is already a pretty harsh penalty on weaker terrain types, the increased development cost on top of that makes it a total no go for developing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Rulers who die in battle still take a stab hit for theocracies.

Does this apply to heirs as well? I was under the impression that neither of these gave stab hits so I've been feeding all my rulers and heirs less than 4/4/4 or so into the blender and haven't got a stab hit yet, guess I've been lucky!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

This will be good.

Also, large nations taking more AE is going to cause a forum riot for sure, despite being a great idea.

Yeah it's pretty obviously a good idea. Large nations are more able to fight against coalitions and have the ability to wage consecutive wars in different regions to spread out AE load. Currently coalitions are only really dangerous when you're still fairly small, unless you do something crazy and get a Spain-to-Poland coalition against you.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Wow Austria got pissed at Venice. I've never seen that before.

In a recent game I played Venice actually successfully punched provinces out of Austria while they were in a crazy HRE defense war vs. the OE. Austria responded by rivalling and then full annexing Venice within 50 years or so of the first war. Don't piss off the Habsburgs :stare:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Transmetropolitan posted:

I really wanna say that Paradox has come a long way and the Teutonic Order has a bitchin' look to their troops (all military orders tbh).

Regarding development, please let me know if I got this thing right:

- spend MP only on surplus in regards to technology;

- increase base tax in the capital and provinces that have a certain level of it;

- increase production in provinces which have decent resources (copper, gold, textiles, silk, etc or have powerful unique modifiers);

- increase manpower in provinces worth nothing with grain or fish resources;

- if you are big, concentrate on major provinces;

- if you are tiny, develop everywhere.

I develop a lot of provinces where you just need 1 or 2 more to get another building slot, I like being able to spam buildings.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StinkingHomo posted:

Is there a reason to hit the button early to instantly integrate Lithuania when you're playing as Poland? I'm in the 1600's and he keeps on claiming poo poo to the east. Every few years I push his claims, he does all the fighting and I give him 5-7 provinces. Will I be missing any cool unique to Commonwealth events or something? Because having a strong Lithuania expanding to the east seems really good to me. Dude even westernized so he's several techs ahead of everyone to the east.

No you can pretty much just let them keep doing their thing, it's actually kind of broken as gently caress. Usually unions aren't quite so abusable in this way since you have to pay for the integration cost + time of provinces but with Lithuania you get it all for free.

I'd imagine it's even better now with development since they will upgrade their provinces as well.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Well, I imagine it's largely for balance reasons. Colonies don't really contribute to continental fights so they're less valuable in a direct military sense than vassals or Marches. Protectorates are really far from other subjects in that they don't even have independent governments or produce their own units.

I find with CS that holding onto a few mega-Marches is a really great strategy. Expansion by vassal feeding and integration is way slower than previously. Marches no longer lose their bonuses after reaching a certain size (they keep them forever) and with the new vassal interactions you can change their religion, build forts for them, funnel manpower, all great. It's certainly not the same thing as having an HRE vassal swarm, but I'd very much recommend building up a couple marches in off-culture areas with a decent NI set.

I might dig through the event files in a bit to find specifics, but I was corrected earlier in the thread and there's apparently a "sweet spot" between ~50-60 RT where you get +10 RT events. I think going below 40 is the danger zone where you're at risk of collapsing into a dictatorship.

But there isn't much penalty to tanking your RT to 50 or so for good rulers, I wouldn't go lower than that.

It's 40-50 and IIRC there are some bad events which start happening below 70 so ideally you want to spend as much time at 40-50 RT as possible or be near 100. Never go below 40 though.

If anyone wants a fun "Republic super rulers" game then I strongly suggest Milan or Hamburg (start as Hansa, immediately release Hamburg and play as them). Hamburg is definitely going to be my first game with the new patch since the Hamburg province as a capital has some of the best -development cost you can get on a single province, though IIRC they don't get any NIs to help with that.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 29, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Elman posted:

Just vassalized Dagbon and Benin in 5 years, looks like I'm doing oka--

:stare:

Thanks for reminding me I haven't played Songhai for a while, they're next after Hamburg!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Rakthar posted:

Are folks asking that the AI fight more decisive wars in general? Or that they don't get stuck in a 10-15 year losing war when their ally fucks up? I'm not sure how you get the second without the first.

AI should be more of an rear end in a top hat in general. AIs should abandon their allies if they don't stand to gain anything from an ongoing war which is costing them resources, they should be willing to sign white peace if they're doing gently caress all in a phony war, and they should be willing to throw in the towel as soon as they have suffered a couple of significant military defeats.

What they shouldn't do is play like their only aim is to piss you off and cripple themselves with debt and WE in order to make you spend more resources to beat them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

I am waiting for a building to be added that lets you have a capital sized and style garrison (1k men) anywhere. It would have 1/4 or 1/3 the upkeep of a fort, no ZoC, could not be mothballed, not add much or any army tradition, but let you have at least some mild fortifications on islands or important places. e.g. Crete, Madeira, Gotland or if you have a province next to a fort that is important but not strategic enough to merit a fort, or it is a fort's ZoC but you want this province (a CoT, Estuary, gold province, big manpower province, whatever) to not have a 1 month siege. It would take up a building slot so there would be "opportunity cost" for having it, but it may be just what you need. It also would probably not have any upgrades.

I'd just make single province islands have a capital fort for free, which you can improve on by building a fort there.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yashichi posted:

I'm having mixed feelings about the fact that the whole of Europe is covered in Pragues and Parises in my 1.13 game

It's dumb but it works from a gameplay perspective. It also makes that HRE OPM which gets a 5/5/5 ruler early on into something worth paying attention to.

On a vaguely related note, starting as a HRE OPM vassal is a lot harder than it used to be thanks to the new small ally rules. You used to be able to extremely reliably get Austria and Hungary as BFFs as a released Aquileia, for example; now they will turn domineering on you even when you have 2 or 3 provinces so you can't rely on them after the first war.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder if they're ever going to make that less blatantly overpowered, or make it worth actually activating the last reform.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Somehow managed to ally France, Austria and Saxony (HRE who inherited Burgundy) in spite of them all being GPs that don't like each other. Saxony declares a coalition war on France about a year after my diplomatic coup and 2 months before I was going to use France and Austria together to beat up the rest of Italy for me :saddowns:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you go for admin and are playing in one of the wealthier parts of the map, then mercs are extremely useful. I've been running with 50% or more of my army as mercs for ages now in an Italy game, I only ever build real troops if I'm over 80% manpower. It's great because you can just keep merging the hosed up troops together and buying more without worrying about manpower.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's so nice to see poo poo happening in Italy now, though so far I've only seen variations on "Italians get fat" and there has been little or no foreign incursion into the region. The usual suspects for blobbing are Savoy, Venice and the Pope.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

In the 1.13 beta it goes in 20% chunks, starting a lot earlier, and maxing out at 60%.

It still doesn't start until the 1620s, I'd really like to see smaller bonuses (5-10%) coming as early as the 1500-1550 period.

E:

Wiz posted:

Extra cost for increasing at each level:

3-9 development: No extra cost
10-19 development: 3% per level between 10 and 19
20-29 development: 30% + 6% per level between 20 and 29
30-39 development: 90% + 9% per level between 30 and 39
40-49 development: 180% + 12% per level between 40 and 49
50-59 development: 300% + 15% per level between 50 and 59
etc

So increasing a province from 59 to 60 costs ~200 points (previously about 109), but increasing from 29 to 30 costs ~95 (previously about 79).

This seems a bit harsh, 2-2.5% as a baseline seems like it would still work. I guess it comes down to how common you want big 30+ development provinces to be, going over 30 is where it starts getting really expensive here.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 6, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The best thing about the recent changes to development is that it's now actually worth building up non-farm/grassland provinces if your good provinces already have high development, so you no longer have the stupid situation where you have most of your provinces at 10-20 development and a couple of giant provinces.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So I spent the whole game ignoring this part of the world, what the gently caress is going on?! I've never seen results like this.

There's so many amazing loving stupid things here to choose from, it's great. I think I like the Knights the most just because drat guys you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

VDay posted:

Do I have some message setting turned off or is there no "Hey Protestantism is a thing now!" popup if you're not the first country to get it? Because if there isn't there should really really be one. I've missed being one of the first three countries to switch multiple times now despite checking the religion tab pretty regularly. I just want a center of reformation :(

\/\/ Is it just the "When a country switches to a different religion" option? Or is there a Protestant-specific one that I'm not seeing?

It's one of those global events which always pop up but I guess there is a way to turn it off?

• Locked thread