Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The only thing that could make me more excited than AI economy improvements is confirming that they're looking at tributaries / EoC mechanics. The free content for this patch so far is really exciting, the paid stuff not so much.

So any guesses as to what the huge secret 1.23 change they haven't announced yet is?

Mr. Fowl posted:

I do like the free stuff--I believe the new trade goods are part of the free update?

Free content includes significant map improvements in the middle east, new trade goods, and AI improvements.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

How many large releasable states with unique NIs are there on map that don't exist in 1444? The first one that comes to mind for me is Punjab and I think some of the states around the Deccan might have unique ideas as well. There's also all of the Ruthenian states in Lithuania and Poland.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Tbh the reason I was asking about eu5 was a similar revamping and consolidation that happens in all their new versions. I was trying to get back into eu4 after around a year and realized I didn't enjoy the massive number of systems present anymore. I much preferred the game right after the... Art of war? Compared to what we have now.

I do still think that the game is better now (with the exception of the parts of the map which fall into the Ming Exclusion Zone) due to AI and other general gameplay improvements, but the actual DLC content has been getting less interesting as the new systems are becoming more and more 'bolted on' feeling. Like, development was a total rethink of base tax, and estates were a completely new concept in how you manage your provinces (though in actual gameplay they end up not being terribly exciting), wheras ages are literally just another "build up currency and exchange it for bonuses" system and edicts are essentially slightly tweaked province decisions from EU3.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You can play old patches via the steam betas feature. The AI improvements in the last few patches have been the only thing keeping me playing the game; the hyper passive AI was totally killing it for me (and I am very excited to see the new 1.23 AI with a stronger focus on growing its economy through buildings).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

krampster2 posted:

Hello Paradox people, I have not played this game in many years and am having to learn everything again. I am a bit perplexed as to how to work with the state system.

I'm playing as Muscovy who starts the game with 8/8 states and a few territories. I've smashed Novgorod and taken some of their valuable provinces, however each one has a 75% minimum autonomy because they are territories.

So how do I become a big blob? From what I've read you don't get more states until admin tech 8. So it would seem then that taking new provinces is not going to be profitable for a fair while. Would it be beneficial to turn some of my lesser value provinces back into territories so I can make my newer and more valuable provinces states?

Sorry if I've overlooked something, I have no idea what I'm doing.

It's worth looking in advance at the regions you're conquering so that you don't waste a state slot on some crappy 15 dev total area, but usually you don't want to swap between states and territories much as it costs extra admin points.

Node posted:

Is Ming and tributaries still bullshit? Are they fixing it with the next expansion? It's the deciding factor on if I'l buying it or not.

Probably but they have confirmed to have nerfed Ming a tiny bit. I'd guess we will be getting full patch notes next week so I suppose we can see if they've done anything to make tributaries actually work in a non-gamebreaking way.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Don't get MoH.

To put slightly more detail onto that; it introduced some new mechanics which make playing in most of Asia a lot less interesting (as well as being incredibly exploitable by the player) and Paradox have so far not indicated that they consider it to be something in need of fixing.

If you never play on any part of the map east of Persia and don't mind paying for a DLC which only adds a few minor but fun mechanics and one incredibly good UI improvement (the diplo macro viewer) then go for it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

the diplo thing and ages are both really good

I mean I got MoH on release without waiting for a sale purely because of the diplo viewer, but at the time I was working on the assumption that at worst the EoC / mandate system would be uninteresting, rather than actively removing gameplay options from anyone within a 3000 mile radius of Beijing

Ages are OK, at least the Ages UI is quite clean and doesn't have any awful fiddly elements.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah don't play Castile, play Ottomans or Muscovy or something like that where you can just keep conquering. Western Europe is one of the more difficult parts of the map for unexpected diplomatic upsets.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah being one of the Absolutism-destroying government types is almost never worth it. I think that Absolutism is by far one of the worst new mechanics added to any Paradox game; it's very exploitable by the player but the AI isn't so good at making use of it, and its introduction singlehandedly ruined the interesting decision making between different government types, because the answer is now always "whatever government lets you get to 100 absolutism". A gigantic unneeded nerf to republics and constitutional monarchies which also bizarrely makes despotic monarchy into one of the best governments in the game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

L0VE posted:

I was actually considering staying as a Tribal Democracy when doing a Busoga play through and not reforming into a republic, since the primitive government forms don't get the absolutism penalty. Realized I had the wrong difficulty enabled about 100 years in so I started a horde game instead. But really, I think a balancing pass for all government types would be healthy for the game, maybe Iqta is good with Cradle of Civilization?

Based on the details in the DD (which are obviously subject to change) I think Iqta is going to be one of the "never change out of this" government types. Every 20 years you choose between 15% tax, 5% RCC or -15% subject liberty desire. Government bonuses desperately need a balance pass because there's very little sense any more that higher tech level governments have any advantage over lower ones, which makes no sense.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I hope Madurai has unique NIs now that they have an achievement, they are a cool underappreciated state (tiny remnant of a former empire, rediculous flag)

Eldred posted:

Have they said if advisor promotion is expansion-only or if it's in the free patch? I'm guessing the former but you never know.

Expansion only, the DLC always has to have some "just make your numbers bigger" power creep content to attract people who aren't interested in the DLC's regional focus.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Madurai chat: confirmed that they still have generic ideas, I guess I will not be doing another playthrough with them just yet. Well, that's more time to try dumb poo poo in the newly reworked part of the map such as:

quote:

Saladins Legacy - Playing as Hisn Kayfa, reforge the Ayyubid Empire (conquer Egypt, Mashriq, Hejaz and Yemen)

Don't recognise the name? Check out the doomed yellow thing below:

Yeah that might not be the most common achievement for people to complete. The orange 3pm is a vassal of QQ so your only path for expansion is to go straight up vs. AQ or QQ, presumably while they're getting distracted; but I'm fairly sure you'll get declared on in the first few years virtually every game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The thought of using any keyboard shortcuts at all in EU seems incredibly weird to me, not sure why. Except the pause button.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I just can't get over how much more fun this part of the map looks like it's going to be to play in. Though I'm interested to see how the AI Timurids fare; from the MP stream it didn't seem all that hard to keep things together but I would presume that the AI is much less likely to aggressively go for Ajam to keep the other vassals in line.

E:

Jake spent 150 years and like 5 hours of gameplay as a vassal because he was too stubborn to restart due to AQ and OE being BFFs :negative:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 11, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You have a valid complaint and they definitely should fold old DLC into the base game after a while to help out newcomers (and so that they can actually make all the new mechanics 100% integrated together) but there aren't that many DLC which are really essential to the game experience. It's still drat hard to get new players into the game though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Bam, taking Mandate is now no longer a trap.

It would be nice if the MoH was more rewarding to adopt for a player but I feel like fixing the extremely negative gameplay impact Ming has on all starts in India or East Asia is more important, which this change might hopefully achieve? Though it does also make taking the Mandate even shittier.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Yes clearly the reforms are the issue with Persia being a tributary in 15 loving 20.

This does nothing, what needs to be changed is how easy someone becomes a tributary and even more so, how easily they stay one.

There was supposed to be a diplo change to how easily the AI will accept becoming a tributary of a distant overlord but I don't remember seeing that on the finished patchnotes.

The improved building AI is no joke though, I've been watching a preview stream playthrough and the OE has 200 income and a 300k man forcelimit in 1600. Yeah it's on VH but still.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I like how in the dev clash the north indian team was like "welp bengal is a tributary, all our strategies are ruined." Why can bengal become a tributary to a ming who hasn't expanded at all? Just, like, a default possible tributary? Paradox doesn't see an issue in that but it seems crazy to me. Tributaries should be something that's difficult to get for countries that aren't your immediate neighbors.

Yeah this seems completely bizarre to me, Ming getting involved in India should be extremely unusual, not "oh well that happened". Especially considering Bengal isn't even some random minor, they're extremely wealthy and probably at the bottom end of the top tier states in India.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

One change in CoC which I have barely seen mentioned but is quite significant if you're actually playing in the Middle East is that the terrain in the newly revamped map areas is much more granular. By which I mean, for example, no longer is every single province in a gigantic belt of provinces between the Black Sea and central Iran mountains; there's highlands, drylands and even some grasslands in there, so fort placement is significantly more meaningful, and you have better provinces for development. Also mountains are only 35% development penalty now which is pretty nice if you're Inca or anyone else with a bunch of mountainous gold provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Non East Asian religions shouldn't ever willingly become a tributary. That would be enough to keep the Dharmic and Muslim states nearby from joining the Mingsphere.

This seems like a fairly quick solution which would restrict their "freebie" sphere of influence to Tibet, Korea, Japan and mainland SEA, which sounds just about perfect. And it also puts a nice clear dividing line between the states which are part of the natural sphere of China (and thus, can take the Mandate for themselves) and others who might want to expand there, but can't take the Mandate.

What gets loving annoying is when you don't want anything to do with China but they have random tributaries in India for some reason and you have absolutely no benefit to gain from taking China on directly so you just kind of sigh and pretend that OPM doesn't exist any more.

• Locked thread