Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Trujillo posted:

Is it just me or when you fire an advisor do you automatically get the same type next?

I noticed this, I was firing multiple advisors at once and getting the exact same type and skill of replacement so I assume it's a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Man Spain really likes getting southern Italy.

If Aragon somehow manages to not gently caress up and lose Naples, then they'll bring it along for the ride when the Spanish Union happens.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone know if vassals count as allies for scripting / event purposes? i.e. if a trigger requires a country to not be your ally, can they still be your vassal and allow the trigger to still be true?

E: Unrelated but drat Wiz is going on holiday for a month. Have a good time and know that I am eternally jealous of anyone able to take more than a week off work at once!

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 9, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I hope the new RNW generation has plenty of options such as:

Continent(s) / Mixed / Archipelago

Lower / Same / Higher province count than real New World

Native tech levels: Historical / Random / Western

Native density level: Historical / Random / High Density (i.e. few empty provinces, only in extremely mountainous and arid regions)

Also a "Columbus was right!" option with no new world at all just sea all the way to China.

Basically the more crazy ahistorical poo poo the better.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 9, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you don't mind being slightly abusive, restart until Austria rivals Bohemia, then do the same and improve relations with Austria and they will eventually ally you so you can conquer HRE provinces without getting penalties.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

The truce end notification comes on the day the truce "ends" but it doesn't actually end until the next month ticks over. Been that way for a while.

It was one of the only serious bad gameplay modifications caused by the engine optimisation.

Also what's a good amount of points for small-medium sized custom nations to not be stupidly OP with ideas? This current playthrough will definitely be the only time I go with 200, my initial 6/6/6 20 year old monarch and insane NIs are making things slightly dull.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

:negative:

Are there any good historical balance mods for EU4? Because holy poo poo could it ever use one.

There's a ton of poo poo like this which has been annoying me forever but the amount of small event / decision changes needed to make everything consistent and historically appropriate makes it into a major project. I'm talking about stuff like how many minor flavour events are unnecessarily linked to tags rather than culture / region / religion etc.

At least improvements are slowly being made such as event advisors having 50% cost deduction, and they keep adding more flavour events and missions which is part of why keeping a mod up to date would be such a pain in the rear end.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

At least Persia forms by rebels a lot of the time now, still almost never see Mughals. Can we just have the Persia and Mughal decisions reforming government back? Just disallow Timurids from using either. We got it back for Qing at least.

Having to pay an extra 400 admin power and 3 stability just to change tag makes it a lot less fun :smith:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I'm honestly more impressed by AI Italy in 1553.

:wtc: I don't think I've ever seen the AI form Italy, even if a huge Italian blob forms they usually ignore Rome.

Randarkman posted:

Timurids should be allowed to form Mughals though, seeing as though the Mughals were Timurids.

I think that the way that this was handled in MM was one of the best possible solutions; basically the Timurids couldn't form Mughals (on the basis that they already had a great capital in Samarkand and were plenty prestigious) but they had a special tribal succession event that happened if the new ruler had lovely stats which would basically force you to tag switch to one of a few successor states and then release all of your other provinces outside of a certain region. Then you could either go ahead and try and reform a true Timurid (successor) Empire by owning Samarkand and some of the other major cities in the Persia region, or go into India as Babur did and form the Mughals. Forming Timurids was way harder but you got a ton of prestige and poo poo for reforming the tag. Usually one of the Azeri tags in the region would get fat and conquer enough stuff from the successors to form Persia (they got events to help) or occasionally one of the successor states would 'go native' and form Persia itself.

It was a really fun region to play in and it avoided stupid issues such as the easiest way to form Mughals being to start as an Indian sultanate, annex Baluchistan, and culture shift, or Timurids and/or the Turkomen hordes living forever and Persia never forming, though EU4 does seem to have solved a decent number of those issues.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yashichi posted:

It's not that the concept of DHEs is bad, it's that the kind people keep mentioning here isn't interesting. The Burgundian Inheritance currently just hands the emperor a bunch of really rich provinces with 0 autonomy that they have no difficulty holding on to. The Netherlands almost never become part of Spain at any point and they rarely become independent., so it's doing a very poor job of simulating a historical event and can just fire and kill a major power at random. The Ottomans have a bunch of missions to tear up the Mamluks anyway, and they manage to do it with reasonable consistency, so a DHE to annex them immediately just speeds up the process at the cost of weird railroading and deleting a major power.

The bigger problem with the Netherlands events is that it's a quick fix for the fact that once you've conquered + cored (+ converted where necessary) some territory and separatism has gone away it never revolts ever again without events interfering or gigantic amounts of WE. This is obviously dumb and bad from a historical perspective; as an earlier post mentioned, local autonomy is a really interesting game concept for making large (and especially multiethnic / multifaith) states appropriately difficult to manage efficiently and potentially unruly, but nothing is done with it.

There should be some degree of balancing going on all the time between local autonomy and RR and reaching 0% should be a big deal that rarely happens in large states outside of the capital, but I really don't know how to make this happen without just throwing events at poo poo.

Here's my "I thought about this for 5 minutes and it might be interesting" suggestion: make local autonomy reduce RR in and of itself, and give all provinces a baseline +RR to compensate for it, then remove / change the RR effect from clicking the more / less autonomy button. In this way, as you suck more and more out of each province (which conceptually represents minor increases in efficiency of government, new local taxes and laws, etc.) they will gradually get more pissed off at you until there's either a revolt or you give in and give them back some local control.

Of course this doesn't hit larger states any worse than small ones other than causing a lot of micromanaging so it's obviously not a good idea without some serious work but I thought the concept was interesting and somewhat reminiscent of EU3's Centralisation / Decentralisation slider.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 12, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Jsor posted:

Is it me or is Hesse becoming the emperor with strange frequency?

Saxony and the Palatinate for me. The first 1.13 patch had Bohemia as emperor constantly but that seems to have died down some with further hotfixes though they still do it occasionally.

Until the AI gets changed to prioritise allying electors the current system is always going to favour the Elector monarchies.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

VDay posted:

What's the general strategy with Tabarestan? Thinking about going for This is Persia with them as my next game. Just looking around they seem to pretty much be hostile to all of their big neighbors, and even if they weren't the religion/army/navy size penalties seem like they prevent you from allying with Timurids, QaraQ, Ottos, or Mamluks. I'm thinking of trying to expand up and across the Caspian first into Shirvan or Gazikumukh depending on who they ally, but I'm not too sure how to go about not dying in the meantime.

Do you just improve relations with all your neighbors and pray?

I just did a game with them after reading your post and QQ declared on Timurids within a couple of years, I sniped 1 province from them (so as to no longer be locked in) by making a 10k stack and parking it on their capital, then conquered Shirvan and gradually vassaled all of the lovely Caucasus states. You make tons of loving cash from owning a bunch of Persian trade power provinces and the OE was throwing me subsidies every now and then so it was actually really easy. You also have insane morale from your religion, NI and maybe Piety bonus.

Due to missions the Timurids seem to rarely give a gently caress about you and QQ frequently gets into a horrible early game was vs. the Timurids or OE so this strategy should be relatively easy to repeat, the AI is very reluctant to attack you while you're seiging their capital due to the terrain.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

VDay posted:

Yeah I started a game and Timurids and QQ have both left me alone so far. What ideas did you take? I'm not really sure what to go with at the start.

Admin, core cost reduction is always good and more / cheaper mercs for all the meatgrinder wars.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Arzakon posted:

How did you get to three provinces? I started up a Taberestan game on a whim a few weeks ago and just remember getting declared on by QQ 1 year in.

I seem to have been incredibly lucky in my most recent game but from a few test runs afterwards to see how things usually turn out, QQ fairly reliably ends up at war with the OE or Timurids early on which lets you snipe their one province directly north of you - if you siege it plus their capital they'll give in easily, and if they're already in the middle of a nasty war they won't want to attack your 10k stack sitting on their mountain capital province. Then you can take Shirvan which is a solid province with a trade power bonus, and after that either vassal or conquer the other minor states in the region.

If they do nothing or only declare on unallied minors I'd just restart, I mean you can wait around for a lucky break but it seems kind of pointless when you can go for another roll of the dice, and no degree of skillful play will save you if you get declared on.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

BBJoey posted:

There's a limit of 10 client states per nation but if you're big enough you should be able to find some shithole subjects you can release to get you to 21.

It's 1722 and I just got the notification that I can westernise in my superpersia game, is there any point to doing it?

Probably not that late, I would guess that it's optimal to rush for Genoa's provinces in Crimea and then intentionally fall behind in tech to westernise early but that sounds loving boring.

Beating up the Timurids and turning them into a nice happy vassal family is so much fun :3:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Everything to do with continents in EU4 sucks. I just wanted to form Arabia as Karaman, but the jerks wouldn't let me move capital (to culture shift) since Anatolia is classed as Europe :mad:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Being unable to peace someone for years because they have a large, landlocked ally you can't get military access to is the worst thing. There should really be some kind of modifier where allies will be more willing to accept a white peace if they haven't actually been involved in the fighting at all.

I mean, the fact that the AI will happily walk over half a continent to come beat you up is bad but at least now if they do that you can go sit on their capital and poop on them and take all their money.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Scotland starts in a horrible position now that England and France don't start at war. England's more likely to see that you're both dirt poor and have a tiny army and declare war on you pretty fast. How the hell do you survive against England long enough to actually turn a monthly profit? You start the game with two forts and losing 2.50 a month!

Deleting navies and/or forts usually helps.

Unrelated: Khmer is a pretty fun start, you can immediately shift to Hinduism and show all the goddamn Buddhists why they got kicked out of India. They have a pretty decent mix of military and naval ideas and none of them are really bad.

You can stack the Buddhist and Hindu +2% conversion decisions which makes it easy to spread the faith and your starting ruler is old as gently caress so you have an ok chance of getting the "ganga" event which lets you give your successor +2 admin skill, if you choose the correct god.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Man I wish I could have your OE in my Persia game, they've conquered most of the Mamluks already and it's like 1490. And they already hate me.

On the plus side my Timurids were hilariously ineffective and I got all of the provinces needed for Persia in a single war, plus all of Khorasan got released by rebels which I promptly annexed 80% of in a single reconquest war :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Samolety posted:

Playing Manchu. Finally managed to break Ming and take what I needed to form Qing. Muscovy declares war just as I wrap up, refuses any offers for peace for like 10 years. Finally offers peace, I have to accept it or get stabhit.

gently caress you forever, Muscovy.

It's not the end of the world, of course. They can't actually reach it so I'll just fund rebels until it flips. But, seriously? They have absolutely no reason to take that other than "gently caress you player, you need this to form Qing so I am taking it."

Oh, EU4 :allears:

This is actually the best evidence I have ever seen that the AI sometimes acts 100% out of spite, like those times they intentionally get a stack of troops killed because they're desperately trying to reach your one mothballed fort (which is miles away from anything important) because they know that if they flip it they can set up a garrison and make it loving annoying to flip back.

E:

You should probably bug report that, it seems broken.
On a not particularly related note, apparently some weird poo poo can happen with Songhai close to the start date, due to the fact that their monarch and heir are both old as gently caress. I've had 3 stab hits in 5 years from having my heir die and replaced with another 60 year old, then the king dies, etc. :negative:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 20, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Since I've been on a bit of a "trying out random countries" kick lately, here's one: Mutapa. Yes, otherwise known as that stupid pagan country that gives you all the money. They recently got a pretty good NI set; it's mostly front loaded with 10% increased goods produced and inflation reduction as the traditions, 5% discipline as the first unlock and everything else is fairly underwhelming but solid economy boosts.

Anyway your strategy is pretty simple; destroy your enemies with your awesome starting monarch-general (whose stats suck so you don't care if he dies) and crush them under mountains of gold and mercenaries. Then leverage your huge gold reserves to get an unreasonably fast start on the colonial game for a country starting in Africa. You can easily become Sunni by just vassaling Kilwa and feeding them provinces up the coast, diplo annexing, and then trying to convert a province; if you're over 50% Sunni provinces (which you should be) then you can accept rebel demands to instantly flip for very little cost. High trade income should make it possible to keep your inflation under control and after you annex Kilwa your income before expenses should be in the 20+ region.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Node posted:

I'm using it just to stay under 20% inflation.

I always get that awful "autonomy everywhere or -100 admin" event if I go over like 5 inflation so I habitually just keep below there now

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The Moluccas, I think?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Beamed posted:

My Tabarestan run just had my vassal Persia go from 38% to 100% liberty desire, because apparently disabling scutage raises liberty desire. :v: This is frustrating.

EDIT: Luckily they declared independence, I won, and they're back to normal.

I was playing an Afghanistan game (released as a Timurid vassal) and I released a 2PM Persia and forced them to convert, planning on feeding them their cores back later. Unfortunately the Timurids decided to up the ante on incompetence and lost 2/3 of Persia to revolts in spite of having only ever fought a single war on their own territory since 1444. They managed to get their entire army killed in distant wars with Muscovy and hordes and from fighting rebels. So Persia has like +150% liberty desire between the conversion and revolts :v:

To be fair, making the Timurids release a huge chunk of their development as a vassal in 1444 and leaving them with even worse religious unity than usual is pretty mean. This has been a fun game all round, I had the best vassal Punjab ever who fabricated claims on all of the super valuable provinces in the Delhi area even though they weren't owned by my rivals; I didn't even know that was a thing that could happen without a militarist ruler; I think that perhaps the AI values wealthy and especially trade node provinces more strongly when it comes to fabrications.

TTBF posted:

Yeah, Mutapa is pretty fun and I'd like to thank whoever it was who first pointed it out in the thread. On a whim I checked my save and realized I was able to guarantee the independence of France and the Ottomans. One mega war later, I got Guarantor of Peace. Didn't expect any achievements from this game and that's a hell of a one to grab.

No problem, I had fun with that one too but yeah it's really easy if you convert to Sunni you basically only ever have to fight a handful of early wars on equal footing and everything after that you will have a gigantic advantage in force limit and enough cash for infinite mercs.

E: Something I've been wondering about for a while, how does increased coring cost interact with diplo annexing?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 27, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Chickpea Roar posted:

A vassal I was annexing last night as Vijayanagar, which already had +50% from traditions, took aristocratic ideas and the cost jumped from ~800 to ~1100 dropping my progress from 60% to 40% and unsynching itself from my other vassal annexation. :negative:
Diplomatic expansion in India can be really rough.

I should have been clearer; I know that increased cost traditions apply if they are the traditions of the country in question, what I was wondering is if you feed all of let's say the Rajputana region to a nice vassal that doesn't have +50% coring cost will it still have extra cost because the provinces still have the +50% modifier or does diplo annex cost apply on a 'per state' basis rather than a per province one?

E: Just want to take yet another opportunity to call out increased coring cost as being a super bad mechanic that just makes you do weird poo poo to avoid it and does an extremely lovely job of being interesting in any way.

E2: gently caress it, I also want to complain about how we have events for historical pretender revolts, but apparently there's no way to define stats for them so you have someone who's historically supposed to be an extremely competent ruler like Bahlûl Lodi who spawns as a 1/1/0 half the time and then there's even special events to make Delhi get hosed if they have a monarch of the Lodi dynasty with a 0 stat (historically they were a fairly short lived dynasty which ended when a dip 0 king who pissed off all his nobles which is why the events in question exist). Why bother with these kinds of railroady events if you can't make them have a bit of verisimilitude?

And then there's somehow no events in the game for Agra being founded even though it was the capital of multiple Indian kingdoms / empires, and Delhi are banned from moving their capital there anyway :argh:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 27, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

Since you're in such a crappy position to fabricate claims on you may have to declare a few wars without a CB on the vulnerable targets in the Mediterranean. Byzantium, Urbino, Theodoro, or Ragusa are all good targets to snag early on as a continental base of power.

I haven't played as the Knights for a while but didn't they move the sea zones around so you can fabricate on most of the West Anatolian coast and Greece?

E: I just realised that you should in theory be able to form Arabia as Jerusalem, I might have figured out my next game :v:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 29, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

OK I think I'm burned out on playing in the Persia-India region, I just finished my 4th game there in 3 weeks. Pretty fun though I'm slightly tired on vassal feeding; it's by far the quickest way to dominate north India or the Persia region thanks to Punjab / Afghanistan / Persia cores, and then there's usually some random state you can vassal and refeed all its cores back to. The Persia game was probably the most enjoyable since it ramped up into me vs. the OE pretty early and I gave up once I'd forced them out of Anatolia because it was no longer possible to lose. Also having 30% morale so early from religion + piety + NIs was sick. The other games got dull fairly fast since there was no real incentive to piss off anyone important and nobody would form a coalition against me due to being scared. Forming Mughals as Delhi is something I'd been thinking about for ages and it definitely worked exactly how I had planned.

I do still kind of want to do a playthrough starting in the southern part of India but when the only choices are minors or Bahamids / Vijayanagar it cuts down on your options a bit.

E: I may have convinced myself to try another Tabarestan playthrough since I hosed up on some minor stuff early on and definitely could have done better.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 30, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I don't know why you would ever not take admin + influence as anyone unless you hate vassal feeding or you're doing some kind of gimmick playthrough, unless you're blessed with a magical neverending stream of dip and adm points. It's extremely rare that they don't make up my first 2 idea groups, with the order depending on how much I need the cheaper mercs and cores vs. early integration cost reduction.

I'll admit that majors don't need the mercenary stuff that badly but it's still nice to have the ability to give very few fucks about manpower if you have the cash.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Transmetropolitan posted:

I have a simple question: what is the Good Stuff to build? Usually I would bother mostly with temples and manufactories, but Common Sense is pretty much a new game so I don't know :v: I usually toss workshops in provinces with local goods modifiers and valuable stuff or temples everywhere.

Anything that just straight up makes you more income is prob worth putting in a province where it generates more than ~0.12ish ducats per month eventually, marketplaces are pretty crap except in provinces with trade power bonuses but it will depend on your trade node dynamics. Barracks I put nearly everywhere that isn't 1 manpower and the force limit buildings go in either the super high development farmland provinces or the 1/1/1 iceballs :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ParanoidInc posted:

I do it because I'm a big ole' softy wuss who takes his games too seriousl and the poo poo that would entail "converting" a province is some pretty nasty stuff. My tsars are big believers in freedom of religion, man

Does anyone have any suggestions for good Indian/Southeast Asian nations to play? I'm wrapping up my Russian game and getting kinda bored of Europe, want to try out somewhere more exotic

I play probably 80%+ of my games in Persia or SEA so here's an excessively long effortlist of countries:

India:

Nepal - Hindu. Hard start, godawful ruler + heir, good NIs, though somewhat backloaded other than the forcelimits which you're too poor to take good advantage of anyway :v:

Delhi - Sunni. Probably the strongest country in India if not played by the AI, if you reconquer your cores you are already OP as gently caress, most of your provinces are 20+ development. Also very easy to form Mughals with if you don't mind cheesy culture changes.

Orissa - Hindu. Great ruler and heir but your starting position sucks balls and I don't think I have seen a single time that Bengal didn't declare on them early. Also their NIs are a bit poo poo and they have some bad DHEs to do with civil war or something I never really played as them. They used to be a lot stronger but the start setup got changed and they lost a bunch of provinces to a new independent state, which they get a mission to conquer, but again, Bengal will stab you in the rear end.

Bengal - Sunni. Rich as gently caress from trade on day 1 without you having to do anything, no real rivals either

Jaunpur - Sunni. Probably the best NI set in India other than Nepal, interesting starting position where Delhi, Bengal and Malwa all don't like you very much. More powerful than many other starts but with a more difficult diplomatic situation.

Mewar - Hindu. Good starting ruler and you have a gold mine so you're stronger than your provinces suggest, but frequently gets gangbanged as surrounded by angry Muslims. Most of the surrounding provinces have increased coring cost because Wiz personally hates you.

Malwa - Sunni. Start out with 2 vassals but a relatively weak core of owned provinces. Really bad diplomatic situation as they are usually at odds with all of their stronger neighbours and have few opportunities for expansion.

Gujarat - Shia. Own some good provinces but their trade node is generally weaker than most of the others in India, so even with their trade-focused NIs they're not ultra rich like Bengal etc.

Bahmanis - Shia. Have a gold mine and are generally big and powerful from the start, Vijayanagar is a potential threat but if you beat them once and take your cores back they're dead. NIs are pretty solid, better than the generic "Indian Sultanate" ones.

Vijayanagar - By far the easiest start as a Hindu country, they have some bad events in the first 50-100 years but you can diplo vassal your way through the minor Hindu states to your West and beat the Bahmanis to death when they get into some dumb war up north at which point you're going to be huge already, form Baharat and basically win the game.

Ceylon - Buddhist but Buddhism is basically broken so don't play them (see below)

There's a slight 'problem' in India where there aren't very many starts which are both challenging and fun to play, the major powers generally have a very easy time and will quickly become the sole dominant power in India with just a few good wars, wheras the minors have to sit back and wait for opportunities and things can easily get really hosed up without you even making any mistakes (see: Orissa annexed by a Bengal-Bahmanis-Vijayanagar gangbang). Nepal is my personal choice of most interesting minor power; due to their position they can choose to jump on any of the 3 major North Indian Sunni powers and can even make alliances with one against the others if you're lucky with rivals etc.

Indochina:

There's a whole load of Buddhist states here but since Buddhism is kind of terrible you shouldn't play as them! Unless you intentionally pay 100s of diplo points and using tons of warscore to release states and return cores etc. you will always have bad Karma which means -10% discipline which is an awful handicap; I'm assuming that this is going to get fixed next patch so that there are ways to make good karma that don't revolve around either RNG or intentionally gimping yourself.

If you insist on playing a Buddhist state anyway there's a lot of strong, interesting NI sets in this part of the world and most of the obvious major powers are fun to play. Not much to say on strategy as it's just a case of dominating the region; Ayutthaya (province) is key due to its insane wealth and trade bonus. Special note to Khmer as they have a Hindu majority on day 1, you can convert by submitting to Hindu rebels to avoid the crappy Buddhist mechanics and get the much more fun and mechanically useful Hindu stuff!

Malaya etc:

Again there's quite a few different states here but not that much to choose between them, the NI sets are all very samey with bonuses to trade and navies with a side of religious stuff. Pasai is probably the easiest start as they start out strong and can quickly conquer the gold province to their south and use the extra income advantage from that to beat the rear end out of their neighbours and have a big enough navy that nobody will gently caress with them. The general strategy with these guys is to go full colonial ASAP since the spice islands are valuable and count as full non-overseas provinces.

Makassar is a relatively unusual start due to its good NIs and strong position combined with Animist religion.

There's also Tidore and Ternate maybe? which are isolated OPMs with pretty sick NIs for colonising and trade but their culture group only has 2 provinces and they start out as animist. Probably an interesting game though!

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 30, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Early Influence is good if you want to go full manmode and punch a ton of minors out of Lithuania but I haven't done that since way before CS and it's got to be a lot more difficult to do now.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Another Person posted:

How do formable nations work with culture shifting? Always wanted to dumb run ideas, like forming a nation as their historical rival by managing to shift.

Could I do something dumb, like forming Bahrat as the Timurids if I managed to get the dominant culture to something like Punjab, moved my capital to Delhi and then accepted the shift? Always wondered, never tried it.

Yup, there's tons of fun crap you can do like forming Russia as Kazan, or Arabia as basically anyone with a capital in Asia.

Other exploitative-seeming fun stuff: forming Bukhara is based entirely on your country tag and not on culture or anything else so you could feasibly do something like conquer your way down to India, culture shift, then form Bukhara and then form Hindustan; this would leave you as a Muslim tech non-nomadic government with the Horde ideas and Hindustani cultural union. This is I think the only way to have Horde ideas after reforming; otherwise the Kazan and Manchu ideas are similar but not quite as good, though Kazan does get some good poo poo with the earlier core cost reduction and capstone 15% morale.

I kind of want to try to form Bukharan Super Arabia now :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Religious is absolutely critical for every start outside of main Europe IMO.

Any situation where you're Muslim and conquering provinces without the 2% conversion penalty from religion you can get away fine without Religious ideas. You have a guaranteed 3% from Piety which is enough to overcome wrong culture and you can get other bonuses based on ruler stats.

I've been looking at this insane Bukhara strat and I'm pretty sure it is actually feasible, there are exactly 13 Rajput provinces and you're left with 12 Kazani provinces after forming Bukhara. Your horde CB lets you take the exact provinces you want so the biggest hurdle once you've got over the Timurids is going to be navigating alliances in order to not get your butt kicked by an Indian gangbang.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

See my earlier post;

RabidWeasel posted:

Other exploitative-seeming fun stuff: forming Bukhara is based entirely on your country tag and not on culture or anything else so you could feasibly do something like conquer your way down to India, culture shift, then form Bukhara and then form Hindustan; this would leave you as a Muslim tech non-nomadic government with the Horde ideas and Hindustani cultural union. This is I think the only way to have Horde ideas after reforming; otherwise the Kazan and Manchu ideas are similar but not quite as good, though Kazan does get some good poo poo with the earlier core cost reduction and capstone 15% morale.
You can culture shift to Rajput without even having to sell loads of provinces etc. Literally the only thing I don't like about this idea is the loving increased coring cost in most of those provinces but at least they're only 5-10ish development each. Once again Wiz personally hates you all :argh:

The proposed Bukhara => Arabia strat is a bit more tricky, at first I thought you could go through Hormuz but I realised that you're going to have gently caress all for a navy so you'd have to conquer your way through Iraq before you can even get to the Bedouin provinces.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Why would you bother forming Bukhara to reform your government when you could just take administrative like you almost definitely will at some point.

You keep Horde Ideas.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

You keep them for most nations. It says they change but they actually change to horde ideas in most cases.

Huh, it definitely didn't always work that way. Oh well thanks for letting me know before I did something high effort for no reason! My new project is going to be forming Arabia as QQ then :v:

E: I'm going to guess that the way it is set up is that it will never change your ideas to the generic ones, so if your tag or culture has an idea group associated with it then you'll get that, otherwise you'll get horde ideas; I haven't tested this, though!

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 1, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

About to start an Ethiopia game, any advice for the new patch? I tried it the patch before and did alright, just didn't expand fast enough and the Ottomans eventually got bored and stomped me to death.

Converting to Sunni is a great move for lots of reasons. Get the gold province ASAP and then go for the gold in Mutapa as soon as you can. The Mamluks can wait if they're strong, nothing to your south or east should be able to stand up to you unless your awesome starting ruler dies young.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I don't play Ironman cause autosaves but what's the point of playing Ethiopia without being Coptic? :colbert:

loving with history and throwing away centuries of tradition is more fun :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Obliterati posted:

So the first Common Sense game of MP took off today:

Blood was shed, people died, one guy got PU'd by accident, and the scheming continues. Same time next week: have a look in the thread, we can always handle more people.

e: we peaked at 32 today and whilst there was some stablity issues we think they were host-related. Come die in India!

I assume you went with the classic MP "everyone fucks the Ottomans as quickly as possible" strat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Another Person posted:

Nobody hosed the Ottomans. The Ottomans hosed the Ottomans. They were in one war and lost it somehow. And then Byzantium came back.

Bill. All that needs saying.

I honestly don't see how this is possible but it sounds like fun was had!

• Locked thread