Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Hmm, France forced Burgundy to release some stuff, including province of Cambray (uhh, Hainaut maybe? I forget, they were purple, not sure it matters) and they started out as a junior partner in a PU under nobody. Mousing over their ruler gave me a CTD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Does increasing production via development increase your trade power in the node that province is in?

Yes, provincial trade power scales with production development now, at a rate of 1/production development. For some reason that doesn't show in the tooltip when you're upgrading development, but it does if you mouse over the trade power in the bottom left.

e: Actually I lie, it's 1/original production development, and 0.4 for every production development you add

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

I keep getting the notice "Too Few Seats in Parliament" as England. How many seats do I need to give out to make that go away?
Quick test on my end says you need one for every 3 of your total (non-overseas?) provinces, rounding down.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Back To 99 posted:

Haven't played this in a long time. If you enforce the union with France as England and inherit, do you become England-France with accepted cultures etc. or more like some kind of super England?

You stay as England. Any cultures which make up more than 20% of your base tax* will become accepted. French cultures will not automatically become accepted if they don't meet that threshhold. (Scottish will once you form Great Britain, however, as GB is the union tag for the British culture group.) Note you can lower that 20% threshhold using ideas (humanist), various policies (humanist-diplomatic, humanist-plutocratic), and a few other things.

*(This was true before Common Sense hit this week when base tax essentially changed to development; I assume it's based on 20% of development now but I don't know for sure.)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Allyn posted:

Hmm, France forced Burgundy to release some stuff, including province of Cambray (uhh, Hainaut maybe? I forget, they were purple, not sure it matters) and they started out as a junior partner in a PU under nobody. Mousing over their ruler gave me a CTD.

Update on this bug: it's Hainaut specific. Saw them released in a different game, and once again they were in a PU under nobody. I imagine it's because they have a PU under Burgundy listed in history/diplomacy/Lowland_alliances.txt despite the fact they don't exist in 1444.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

I thought 100 authority meant you could push a reform through without votes. It used to work that way, didn't it?

I don't remember it ever working like that. But the more IA you have, the bigger boost you get towards HRE members voting in favour of the reforms, to the point where you have to be hated for them to ever vote against. Seems very odd that they'd have to sit on 100 for any length of time without being able to pass a reform, really

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Question about colonizing as a "new world" nation. I'm Cuzco, I have most of south america and I'm making my way up north into mexico. A lot of the central american native powers still exist, but are blobbed around by British Mexico. I can't take on GB, but I can easily gobble up the central americans. The problem is a few of their territories are cut off from me, and after I annexed them they became a colonial nation, Cuzcan Mexico.

Am I hosed and those will be colonial nations forever, or is there a way to integrate them once I get a land connection? I understand the mechanics why this happened but it seems ridiculous that a 1-province gap in my conquest resulted in a huge colonial nation vs someone doing the same thing in europe would just have some disconnected territory or a vassal.

They'll be colonial nations forever, UNLESS you get a land border, release them, then declare war and annex them. No other way, unfortunately.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

drat, that sucks. I'll probably try to cheat around this. PS how do I find out my TAG when I'm a custom nation?

I could release them then diplo-annex them with yesman cheat I think.

You can use the console command debug_mode. That tells you province IDs/country tags. Iirc the default for the first custom nation is D00 (zeroes, not os).

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

reL posted:

For the Master of India achievement, do the Ottomans qualify as a European nation? I presume with their capital being in Europe, and all...

Yes, they do. Only check is that you start in 1444 and your capital's located in Europe (and that you didn't add any custom nations, obviously)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

^^ Use timg instead img tags, dude

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

I've just bought CS and I have an understanding of most of the added concepts except development. How do provinces increase development say from 10 to 20? And is this affected by spending points to increase the raising of provinces from say 4dip to 5dip or whatever?

Development is the sum total of base tax (adm), production (dip) and manpower (mil). Increasing them by spending points will raise the overall development, yes.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I was poking around with the console and just noticed that Ganja is province #420, nice work guys :c00l:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Does the AI follow manpower rules as well? Is bleeding the enemy manpower down to the point that they can't build or reinforce armies a strategy that works? In most all my wars the enemy doom stacks always seem to just re-grow and it's always me that runs out first.

You can check their manpower (+ army size) in the ledger to see how it's doing. They're real bad at managing attrition -- will sometimes siege with 20-stacks and stuff -- so it's definitely something you can work to your advantage. Takes practice, though.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So a friend sent me this screenshot of their game. They're in a war, as primary participant, with the PLC as their ally, but Hungary is is able to call them to war against the PLC. Is this a bug, or what? I haven;t been playing a lot lately and I can't remember if this is regular bullshit or something new. Shouldn't it be impossible for Hungary to call Sweden to war?

Edit: He just told be he declined, and took no prestige hit and Hungary didn't get any dishonored alliance malus. If this is a bug, this kind of thing can cause people to make uninformed decisions that could end their hard fought games.

Silesia was the aggressor, and called PLC in. Hungary was the defender. The defender will always auto-call their allies to war, regardless of any alliances on the other side.

e: Oh durr I'm tired and misread ignore me. I imagine if he'd accepted he wouldn't actually have joined. I think this happens when Silesia declares, alliances on the defender's side are called first, but the prompt or something didn't actually arrive for whatever reason until after PLC had joined.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Whorelord posted:

why does forming italy remove all my accepted cultures?

All the Italian ones you had accepted? Because they're automatically accepted, Italy is the cultural union for all Italian (actually Latin) cultures. They all still give you the effects of being accepted, it's just how the game deals with that. If you meant other, non-Italian cultures, then uhh that sounds odd and potentially a bug

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Italy become rich as gently caress in the last patch with the development changes, and has a large amount of control over two of the three end nodes.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Has anything changed in the past couple months regarding revoking cores? If I conquer Kosovo (the gold province) from Serbia in one war, then go to war with them later, can I get Serbia to revoke its core on Kosovo? I want to do this so I can release Serbia as a vassal to hold on to all of that lovely Serbian land.

Then again I may just go admin for the extra -25% coring cost discount and conquer everything. I'm just worried that without humanist I will not have that many accepted cultures and my empire will be large but weak and have terrible religious unity.

Serbia is the primary tag for Serbian culture. Kosovo has Serbian culture. You can't force the main tag for a culture to revoke their core on a province of that same culture. So no, you can't do that. (If it was Bosnia, however, you could.) Your best bet would be to force vassalize instead of annexing them, I guess. You can do that in the same war as taking Kosovo I think?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I remember Arumba accidentally inheriting one of his client states outright (I think in his Commonwealth run?), even though they were a vassal, not a PU. Does sound just like RNG weirdness, plus I think they get a boost to inheriting outright if they're lucky (which Muscovy certainly will be and Sweden may very well be)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I found a bug a while ago that I never bothered reporting but, uh, you can actually use it for something pretty gamebreaking now. When you form a new country via decision, it removes all separatism from every province you own. So if you wait to form Russia until immediately after you conquer Danzig/Prague/Vienna, then press the button, you can immediately switch to Western tech too. Welp!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Continuing ideaschat from last page: I imagine Lorraine will get the French ducal ideas which are getting added, but I wish they'd get their own set given their history as the last remnants of Lotharingia and their real-life result of merging with the Habsburgs. (Plus Kersch's LP of them which got me into EU3 for my first Paradox game. :v:)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

aeglus posted:

Ethiopia starts as an Empire. Didn't try Byzantium but I think they do too?

Yep. And Ottos get it automatically when they take the decision to move capital.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

So, first time playing in maybe 3 months... totally different game. I'm so lost when it comes to deciding when , where and if to develop provinces.

1) When you're ahead of time in whatever type of tech and are still about to hit the points cap in that same type, plus don't have any ideas. Basically development is
2) Either wherever's cheapest or wherever it makes most sense. For production (diplo) that means whatever makes the most money via trade goods (gold > most new world/tropical stuff/copper > iron/salt > other stuff, roughly speaking). Don't go above 10 production for gold because otherwise you start getting a monthly chance that the production will get halved, to stop people just upgrading their gold mine endlessly. For base tax (admin) generally that means wherever you have a temple, although your capital gives a boost to it too so it'll be more valuable there than elsewhere. For manpower, wherever's dirt cheap, with goods of as little value as possible, and has a barracks. That's pretty min-maxy though, you can basically just mash buttons and still do fine.
3) Same as (1), I guess? Worth holding off on development (or only doing a little) if you're about to get a new tech level.

Basically it's at the bottom of the pile for value. It's just a point sink for nations that hit the points cap often (which is basically the western tech group, and occasionally eastern/Ottos).

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

So another development question. I've noticed there is now a cap on buildings per province. Does raising development make this cap go up?

Yes, one slot for every 10 levels of development. Affected by terrain (farmlands gets +2 available slots, grasslands and something else (forget what) gets +1 available slot).

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

JonBolds posted:

If I feed an eligible vassal all of the correct provinces, will it form Italy, or is that going to be down to a random choice by the AI to take a national decision?

I want Italy as a vassal. For reasons.

Most nation forming decisions require you not to be a subject nation. Just checked and Italy has the "is_subject = no" part, so no, they won't be able to

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Node posted:

Has anyone ever had sea patrol break for them before? I'm clicking patrol, and selecting a different sea zone, but the button immediately declicks itself. I've never had this happen before. There isn't anything weird going on with the fleet, like they're carrying troops or anything.

You're doing it the wrong way round. Set up the route you want them to take, then click patrol.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

THE BAR posted:

At least the difficulty of maintaining army tradition has boosted quality and defensive immensely compared to offensive, the previous obvious military idea of choice.

..Which may or may not get stomped into the ground with the upcoming AT from forts change.

Why is offensive less appealing in this setup? Surely in an era of unreliable AT gains, guaranteed leader pips are even more valuable. Then again I just straight up love offensive and pretty much always have :shobon:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

double nine posted:

I haven't kept up with development - how many troops does it now take to siege a fort? What is the relevant formula?

You need 3000 men per fort level, or 1000 men if no fort.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

double nine posted:

okay; now: what the hell happened to the aggressive expansion info? "Between 1 and 21 with 100 countries" is NOT a useful metric.

It now only shows if it's gonna put you over the threshhold of being eligible to be on the receiving end of a coalition (-30 opinion from AE iirc). In other words: if it just shows that, you're good.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Plus they added the Castilian Civil War which wrecks them for at least 3~ years

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

They changed the Dutch revolt events so you can now choose to give whichever province it fires in 100% autonomy instead of the huge revolt.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Bug, in the beta (but probably in whatever's live at the moment): as Sweden, won independence. Next war, go to take back cores against Denmark, who still have Norway under a PU. I can't take my core on Jamtland back from Norway, because I apparently don't have a core on it. Even though I do.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Jackson Taus posted:

So as Castile, I vassalized Navarra and they ate a bunch of Aragon and 2 southern French provinces. But then of course I got the Iberian wedding. Is it worth breaking vassalization on Navarra, punching half of Aragon out of them, and then re-vassalizing in a second war, just to save a few hundred point integrating? I'm thinking no, but this is really annoying.

It's a couple hundred dip points, the least valuable points. It's not a big deal.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Two poor provinces in the Pyrenees isnt even a couple hundred.

"A bunch of Aragon" on top of that probably is though

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Apparently you don't get exiled if you're in a country you have military access to when the war ends. That's.... illogical. Had to spend 3 months negotiating more access treaties just to get home, and rely on not being declared hostile (and thus refused access) by the country I just beat in the war :geno:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Dibujante posted:

Have you occupied that province? You can't demand unoccupied provinces from someone who is junior to the person you're negotiating with (and since you can't negotiate with a PU/vassal, you are always affected by this in that case). Unfortunately, the explanatory text is flat-out wrong. If you occupy the province you can demand it.

I fully occupied (except Faroes et al/Iceland) both Norway and Denmark. Still couldn't demand it.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

Is trade supposed to go from Aden to Zanzibar and not the other way?

Yes, because otherwise the only route from the east back to Europe is via Alexandria, and would not be able to funnel into the English Channel

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Is it just me or does 1490 deadline for keeping North Italy in the HRE seem a bit strict? With the massive AE penalty to taking Venetian provinces, I barely had enough time to add just those provinces to the empire before 1490 rolled around.

The bit I really don't like about it is you have to take Rome, and eat all the poo poo that entails, in order to prevent everyone leaving. That seems pretty lovely imo. Take all the rest of the Papacy's provinces, sure, but when you have a nasty, stab-hit event and a nasty triggered modifier which will hit your chances of holding onto the imperial title? Ouch...

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Apoffys posted:

Why is it that I get told about every single insignificant war that starts or ends in far-off Asia, but the game doesn't bother to tell me about wars involving my rivals in Europe? I'm guessing it has to do with message settings, but I haven't any idea what to change and I haven't changed the defaults.

Specifically, I want to know when my rivals and people I am currently at war with start or end wars. I'm getting plenty of information about what Jaunpur, Lan Xang and Yarkand are up to, but the game doesn't bother telling me anything about Spain and France.

Just above the minimap, there's a row of 4 buttons. Press the rightmost one (if memory serves...), then "Best Guess". Et voila.

You can also add people manually by left clicking on one of their provinces -> right clicking on their flag and clicking the star button which shows up.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Just checked and it's every province, ouch... And you can't use the subject interaction to convert them for 50% liberty desire. That seems pretty harsh :(

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is it normal for both me and my enemies to be able to just waltz right through neutral territory during wars? I thought that wasn't supposed to be possible without military access. Is it because I'm an HRE prince and the neutral territory is also part of the HRE?

This was a while ago, but: if you're in a war either with or against the emperor, you can freely march through any province in the HRE. (Even ones held by countries not in the HRE.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Another Person posted:

Also, don't stackwipe an OPM unless you intend to siege them immediately. Hell, don't stackwipe in general is my feeling. When an army is stackwiped they get half of the manpower back of the men lost. They will use that to rebuild an army, and then pad the rest out with loan money mercs. Instead just let them shatter and retreat. The reinforcement costs won't be nice to them, and if you siege their only holding after they shatter they will have a hard time reinforcing quickly enough to be a threat. Once you have them sieged, then you wipe them. Otherwise they will keep coming back. The only time stackwiping benefits you is if you can carpet the enemy lands as soon as you wipe them, to prevent them raising more men. Otherwise they will keep coming back.

Is this still true? There was a change in either 1.12 or one of the 1.13 betas talking about a change to manpower and stackwipes; has anyone checked how it works now?

• Locked thread