Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

axeil posted:

edit: I've also noticed the AI doing some really weird things with their stacks. I saw Lithuania leave an 8 stack in my territory despite the enemy being completely beaten and the two of us only needing to siege down the million forts the Teutonic Order has.

Did you have lith set to supportive? I was confused for a bit till I has realised I set that.

I'm super starved for manpower a Poland after sieging TO/LO forts, that attrition is huge compared to my recovery speed.

Also, I've been getting huge lag when changing ducat values in peace deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

LordArgh posted:

Why does the peace offer screen no longer indicate which provinces I have claims on? Seems like a strange thing to remove and it's annoying to have to go between the diplomatic map mode and peace screen to find out.

Oh yeah that is really annoying

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Frontspac posted:

The relations penalty makes sense, but it seems a little awkward to have to race your own vassals to occupy territory first -- especially since you can't keep them out of a war like allies.

I believe you can actually keep vassals out of war now through the subject menu

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I'm in aachens coalition war against burgandy as England that also includes Austria. Separately, I'm allied to, a recently punched out of France, Toulouse who just got war decced by the papal states who called in austria on their side. What happens to the coalition war if I accept the defensive coa I just got? I would be allied yet against Austria

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Could Austria take the stuff in burgundy I conquered? Or do you nothing as in no war

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

PittTheElder posted:

Nothing as in no war. There's a hard engine limitation that says you cannot be allied in a war with someone, and simultaneously at war with them. Since you would be both of those things with regard to Austria, when you accept the CtA, you remain outside the war.

Okay works for me I'd rather not fight another war after back to back wars with France and burgundy

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Bort Bortles posted:

Thank you for posting the numbers, I was in a hurry earlier and couldnt look them up but I was pretty sure the crossing points on either end of the Bosporous were pretty close, and I knew Gibraltar is about 21 miles from Cueta to The Rock of Gibraltar (closest dirt to closest dirt is something just under 20km I believe). Also, mad respect for using the Ç.
And yeah, Gibraltar hasn't been cross-able since EU3:NA at least.

I dont like using game-changing mods but the TBARW or whatever they are that make the game look prettier are nice :)

I'm not surprised Custom Nations are popular but I, too was surprised to see that Custom Nations are THE most popular. I know I love having my own ideas.
I wonder if the custom nations are on the historical setup or on random maps?
Also with how popular the custom nation designer is, I wonder if they will ever add more options to setting up games with a randomized map. I would love it if there were some options like:
~No HRE
~All cultures have their cores so they are releasable countries
~More variety of religions on setup (e.g. if a player sets up a Norse or Zoastrian there would be some more countries with that religion and/or some provinces scattered around randomly nearby with that religion)
~Add or remove development from provinces when setting up the game
~Allow players to chose where their forts are at start
~Allow players to chose their army and navy composition, and where they are at start

I would like the ability to import others custom nations/worlds cause I can't be assed to make an interesting world myself

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
haven't checked into this thread in awhile, is there any word on new dlc yet? i need my fix

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Neat. Thanks. Have they talked how estates differ from vassals?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Gyre posted:

What's a fun, challenging but not too difficult achievement to go for on my first ironman run? A Kaiser Not Just In Name starting as Austria? I've gotten really bored of my Portugal run because I'm just sitting around waiting for things to get colonized, so I want something that makes me think.

Forming Russia is easy and its fun stomping over all your neighbors

How is horde unity affected by weak claims

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

drat i was afraid it'd leave me with no horde unity. i should have taken that weak 5/5/5 event heir then.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

goodness posted:

I am trying to get my brother and friend to put Civ away and get into this game with me. Can anyone think of a group of three powers that could work well together/help learn, presumably they would be in the same geographic area but maybe not!

I taught my friend with him being Muscovy and myself sweden (though Denmark might be easier). You could probably throw England in as the third. would probably be fairly easy for beginners

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

popewiles posted:

Just be aware that you'll take a relations hit with other nations that want the same provinces. A handful of overlapping provinces generally isn't a big deal, just be careful not to paint the map red and lose your allies.

I wish I could mark a province such that I'd take it in a deal but I don't wanna lose allies over it or some way for the game to tell me what I'm marking is diplomatically dangerous

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

popewiles posted:

I may be completely wrong on this, but I think if you fabricate a claim on a province but don't mark it, then other nations will know that you're interested but don't consider it of vital interest.
Watch the next 5 posts all be correcting me.

Oh. I've only played hordes getting crushed by muscovy over and over so far this expansion, so I haven't needed claims yet. Sucks I've gotta waste a diplomat but I guess it's an edge case

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

PittTheElder posted:

If you click on other countries, and then go to that third diplomacy tab, it'll show you the provinces they consider vital to their interests.

That's not foolproof though; often countries will mark all of their rival's lands as vital, and then if you take it from said rivals, it's either no longer valid for them to claim (I think you need a border), or they don't care because someone other than their rival now owns it. As Mongolia I had Uzbek as an ally, and they marked all of Oirat's land as vital. But then I just annexed Oirat, and they instantly stopped caring about that land. Better than nothing though.

In game i had first tried it i was nogai and I allied Crimea to fight the golden horde. Crimea of course claimed all of it, I marked the provinces on my border and Crimea immediately broke the alliance.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Odobenidae posted:

In SP it's kind of pointless to mark provinces as vital unless you want your vassal to fabricate claims or unless you're already in a war that you aren't the leader of. If you mark anything while at peace you'll get hosed diplomatically because the provinces you want are probably someone else's vital provinces and you'll have to unclick all of them to get an alliance for example.

It wouldn't let me mark provinces against someone I'm already at war with, so I get nothing if I don't declare the war, but otherwise your right that marking provinces is only good for losing allies it feels like

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I'm having a hard time getting the ball started as nogai for tartarastan. How large are your cav horde armies at the start? They just make me go broke running like 6 and even more expensive to replace with mercs. Then, even when I win I don't get enough money to not hemorrhage my winnings

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Arzakon posted:

Agree on Admin, cheaper cores is better than anything else.

If you are having money issues running all cavalry just war more. Always be looting and your problems are solved.

How does looting work exactly, maybe I'm not doing that right, do you have to do more than just siege stuff?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

TTBF posted:

Have troops in an enemy province and not moving. It will tick over at the beginning of each month. There's a green bar on the little province view that pops up when you click on a province (to the left of development if I remember right) which shows you how much loot is left. Hovering over the bar will show you the current loot, the maximum loot, and how much your troops are looting per month.

Oh man looting makes a huge difference. I started a Manchurian tribe run instead and formed manchu by 1500 and wrecked an exploded ming/korea team. (Then rebels broke me cause manchu doesn't take tengri which dropped my unity to 30% while I was overextended)

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

VDay posted:

If you're about to invade some weak country that just lost a war or maybe just popped out of another, bigger country and they don't have any troops, you can invade them while keeping your army maintenance at like 1/3rd just to save some money. Otherwise yeah, usually full on for war and full off during peace (assuming no imminent rebellions).

Does the ai check maintenance when seeing an opportunity for dowimg? I've always kept it at halfway just in case

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Nothing too crazy but Im proud of my Qing run so far in 1658 though I think I might be done. Ming exploded ten years in which really helped. Allied Wu immediately cause they were a thorn in a previous attempt and used them along with my super troops to hold people from beating my face in until I could complete Humanism to roll everyone with constant war. Once it clicked how to horde good combined with Manchu's crazy idea set, its pretty easy sailing. I'm currently allied to Persia and Wu and been gobbling up Japan, India, and Indonesia. Russia is still neutral to me so far, but im not look forward to dealing with more europeans even though we're at mil tech pairity.

I'm thinking my next game might be the cheevo for TO conquering and converting Russia Catholic as it seems on the same tier as qing. How do you get TO into the HRE again?

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 23, 2015

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Oh, I thought there were some releasing province/vassal shenanigans.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Fister Roboto posted:

That would be cool too.

I think in general EU4 needs more, better ways to display useful information.

I wish development was shown in the peace deal screen so I didn't have to keep jumping in and out trying to figure out what poo poo I actually want from my victim, the war score percentage is kinda vague

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Dry Hump posted:

Tip beggar here, does anyone have any good strategies for Mongolia going for The Great Khan? I tend to try to get support for independence from Uzbek, but even after I get free Ming tends to just warn/eat me. I dream of a day of seeing all these exploded Mings I see in this thread happen for me during a game.

It won't help you probably but for my qing run, ming beat up oirat and grabbed a sizable bunch of provinces. This is secretly their doom however cause of the OE RR it brings with it causes all the Chinese minors to revolt at once

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Antti posted:

Coring shouldn't cost you more ADM than what you are gaining from razing unless you are constantly conquering 1-1-1 provinces.

The forced Confucianism state religion was why I held off on the Manchu decision until I had enough of Humanism to keep the religious revolts in check. Not very helpful if you already pulled the trigger, of course.

Yeah my first attempt at qing was ruined by tag switching without getting humanism first. I just slowed down for a bit after each war when i was big enough to hold my own till I got a few humanism ideas and was smooth sailing after that

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Plus then you'll be rolling in dough from the moscow area

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
god drat allies are dumb. doing a kazan game and uzbeck just strolled its 15 stack army past my 17 stack and moscovy's 25 stack on kazan to beeline for moscow. Then muscovy chased and destroyed right before i could get there causing me to wipe. If you had just stayed by me and attacked with me uzbeck we could have won :(

edit: haha they did it again but literally by sending just 1 and 2 stacks past kazan right into the moscovy forces over and over. why uzbeck

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 10, 2016

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Node posted:

They're my vassal. Should I release them too? I figure they will just get eaten by the Ottomans or Golden Horde.

wouldn't it not matter since you share that water tile and they could claim your coast?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

YouTuber posted:

Ok, so I'm a decent sized Empire. I have 15 loans out ranging from 700-1000 ducats. With everything cut back to the bone I make about 15 ducats a month. Interest alone is about 35. Should I just sit back and try paying this all off or should I intentionally auger the finances and go into default? It's about 1680 so there is a high chance of going Revolutionary if I time it correctly. This game has not been going in my favor for sure. I just lost a coalition war and had to release a few OPM in the Balkans, Tunis and release Trebizond.

http://i.imgur.com/UUHRunn.jpg

Edit: I suppose I could demo a bunch of forts in the interior of the Empire since I'm not really at risk of Naval invasion but that only would give me something like 7 ducats more.

Any small trade rich country pinatas you could beat up nearby? Thats what I tend to do

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Angry Lobster posted:

Some time ago I purchased a EUIV pack with some DLCs, I tried learning EUIII but I seem incredibly bad at paradox games, there's any learning resource for stupid newbies to this game? Especially the economy, I seem to be incapable to understand it.

The learn to play by playing advice never clicked with me. Instead, check out arumba on youtube. He has a million runs and explains himself as he goes. Ddrjake is a better player and is good too, but maybe not as newbie friendly

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Average Bear posted:

Aw what the heck... Can you really not inherit all of burgundy by attacking them as HRE France?

If you're the hre emperor before 1500 as France I'm not sure you need that event's help to steamroll

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I just saw Poland reject the Lithuania pu twice in a row while rerunning a TO ironman game. that seems wrong or very lucky

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

PittTheElder posted:

Oh poo poo look at that. I'm down with that change though, if only because the Ottos consistently underperform. But really Turkish and Greek should be in a group.

Unrelated: theocracies are baller. Got a good TO Baltic Crusader game going, by immediately jumping into the Empire and expanding across North Germany and into Denmark to build strength to take down Poland. I am just swimming in monarch points. I have to say I don't really care for the new estates system though, this way feels even more dependent on the RNG. At least with the old way you knew you could trade short term effects for long term loyalty.

How did you get austria to like you enough to let you join? Restart till austria rivals Poland? I couldn't get an alliance or enough opinion to join for the life of me

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know if it changed, or perhaps is going to change, but I can definitely make my rulers and heirs into generals.

I required a number of restarts, but Austria was always easy, just improve relations until you can ally, and that takes you above the 159 you need.

I was nowhere near an alliance I guess cause they didn't rival anyone in east Europe for me to match, so I could only get it +25 for religion, +100 relations, +25 for 250 ducats, and was working on subsides for the last 9 when austria list the emperorship to Saxony

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Fister Roboto posted:

EU5 should use an actual globe.

VR. I wanna stand on the map and walk around my kingdom

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

FadingChord posted:

I'd at least like to be able to view a specific fort's zone of control on the map, which I'm pretty sure isn't something you can do now.

Seeing how that interacts with other forts would be helpful as well, but I'd settle for "click on a province in siege view and hit another button" and going through each fort individually.

Yeah if the fort map mode showed the zoc around the fort that's be fantastic

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Don't forget to loot with your Calvary before you peace out a winning war, I was broke all the time until I learned how to loot

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Make it cost a relationship slot, for the one being enforced on.

Okay, maybe that would be a bit harsh.

i thought the ai mostly ignored relation slots or is that just for military access:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Eej posted:

It's all in the Policies. +2.5% Discipline/10% Morale from Religion/Quality, +5% Discipline from Economic/Quality and +20% Infantry Combat from Innovative/Quality if you choose go that route. You get a +1 Land Fire from Economics/Quality and +10% Morale Recovery Speed from Admin/Quality too.

It'd be nice if they displayed the policies better. I always forget they exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Would the focus system be too broken for generals? +1pip in one, -1 in the rest?

• Locked thread