Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

This is going to take some adjusting to.

Initial impressions-
Vassalisations take significantly longer - playing Granada and the standard eat Tlemcen start involves a 9 year diplo annex and some truly insane monarch point investments.
Rebellions smashing provinces in one tick is rough, particularly at the beginning of the game as a small power. Harsh treatment is a real consideration now when the rebel stacks are strong and are likely to force more seperatism on you before you can adequately deal with them.
Monarch points are like gold dust now. Coring costs up, annexing costs up and now monarch point expenditure on province development means you have to be really careful with what you spend them on. I feel like a string of low tier rules will absolutely crush your ability to do anything.

I get the impression the game wants you to take it much slower now, but when nothing you can do in the slow periods really allows you to ever go much faster it feels like a bit of a drag.

I'll get used to it as always but the change is definitely a bit jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

What makes me sad about this patch is AI France. The big blue blob doesn't appear to stand much of a chance against the other AI powers around it any more :smith:

The AI in general seems a heck of a lot more opportunist than it did in 1.11 - if I'm small and get even a little weak in a war a rival dives on me pretty much immediately and the same seems to be true for the AI versus itself - the amount of back and forth warring in Europe is insane,

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the name needs to have something like matriarchal or matriarchy in it though

Misandrist.

Loving the new patch. Estates feel less weird now they give the full bonus to their focus and not having surprise enemies piling in through sudden alliances is great! Messing about as Ethiopia for Prestor John and having quite a lot of fun with it. Nervous about my eventual push towards the Mediterranean away from my golden castles and mountains of money though.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

So I'm not entirely sure what to do here.

I'm trying for Prestor John, so I'm going to have to try and hack lumps off the Ottomans at some point, but I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to go about it.

The Ottomans are allied to Muscovy and Tunis. I'm allied to (Edit: Hungary,) Portugal and Castille (who are still sitting on the PU with Aragon and have integrated Naples already).

I can't fight Otto directly right now, so I figure I should vassalise Hejaz, feed them Haasa and skirt East through Arabia to use Hormuz as a platform into Persia/India. Saying that, I... am not sure I'm going to be able to deal with an Ottoman/Muscovy powerbloc. Is there anything I can do about this?

Shoutouts to super-Lithuania (who rivaled me) and a successful AI Scotland in that screenshot.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 28, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

YF-23 posted:

What's the situation south of you like? If you can go for the east African gold you should do so. Neglecting the south was the biggest mistake I made in my first attempt at Prester John. And likewise with you I'd tried to gun for Egypt before the Ottomans could get to it.

In my second, successful attempt, I pretty much ignored the Ottomans, vassalised/conquered everything south of the Mamluks. I had my path to the east African gold cut off by Kilwa allying the Ottos, but biding my time, going exploration and expanding into west Africa through the inland corridor + alliances with France and Austria allowed me to take them on. I didn't even need to go for India, through I did end up owning 95% of Arabia+Iraq by the time I went for Egypt.

I own everything in East Africa. The only reason Makuria/Alodia still exist was as a useful buffer I haven't got around to eating yet. The Ottomans piled into the Mamluks just as I was finishing up grabbing the gold, so I threatened Alodia into giving me a connecting province and ate Mamluk while they were weak. This is basically as far as I ever got in my planning, and the situation north of me hasn't panned out anything like I expected. Grabbing Expansion, rather than Exploration, is an option I've been considering -- it gives me another merchant and a bunch more trade power to print money from the East, plus the colonist to go West and a CB to dive headfirst into India.

Arzakon posted:

Whenever you feel comfortable attacking the Ottomans declare on Tunis and separate peace Ottomans to break alliance with Muscovy only. 6 years later do your real war.

Now this I never thought of! I'll have to figure out of I can stave off Tunis/Otto long enough to make this happen.

PittTheElder posted:

Also their alliance with Muscovy probably won't last. Unless they have a whole lot of trust, they'll both run out of possible rivals.

I figure as much. I think they've just joined forces to double-team Lithuania. Hopefully the alliance doesn't stick beyond that.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Mad at EU4 mechanics so posting to vent.

Doing a Holland -> Netherlands game and everything is going swimmingly. Austria lost the throne to Saxony and has been a supercool friend, war ally and general threat deterrent. The game just decided to ruin that for me:
Austria took some territory to join up Breisgau, Alsace and its other Western holdings with its main Eastern regions and unsurprisngly refused Saxony's demands of returning cores to Bohemia. This gave me a -180 relations malus with Austria, which made the Austria (read: the game) force break our alliance and prevented us from reallying for the better part of 100 years.

I'm now alone in an angry wilderness with no powerful friends. The kicker is that Austria would still accept an alliance with me if only I didn't hate them so much. Thanks EU4!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Hey guys I'm missing some buttons

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Dicking around with a Muscovy game and Poland just inherited Denmark in 1491. There's a first time for everything I suppose!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

In my Luck of the Irish game that I'm just wrapping up I promised land to the French for their assistance fighting England, they did nothing but sink ships, never set foot on land, I took one province in the peace deal and they've now hated me for not coughing up land for them for about 150 years. Your mileage might vary, I suppose.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

:toot:

Luck of the Irish finally done! That campaign really taught me the value of going balls deep in loan debt. I'm about 25 years clear of my debts now, but I'm still carrying around 25% inflation from all that free money. I think I had to go 10+ over my force limit in mercs at one point to match England, but I got it done.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Can anyone explain the rationale behind rebel sizes? Playing a game as Ethiopia, dealing with a lot of rebellions, which is fine. Had one pop in Ajuuraan not long after I finished annexing them and it was... 29k strong.

What.

There are three nations in my little corner of the known world that can field an army that large - myself (39), the Mamluks (42) and the Timurids (34). I can appreciate an army that large appearing via event or disaster, but as a random rebel popup? Really? It's 1496 - random dudes are not going to muster up a professional, well equipped army with a great general out of thin air. The nation of Ajuuraan itself was barely capable of fielding an army a third of that size!

Sorry, little salty and bewildered. I beat them, but I'm having a hard time getting past the fact I had to fight them at all.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Looking for some advice from you guys!

How do you actually start converting big gains into something usable? I always find myself running out of steam; not really feeling like I can afford to do anything in terms of either money or manpower. As I get bigger, the enemies I'm fighting often end up bigger too, but I always feel like I'm twice the size but roughly the same strength I was when I started, generally because my income is in the toilet and can't sustain a growing army. How do you actually leverage the strength you gain?

I think this is the one part of the game that I still haven't got my head round.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Part of it is because the enemy makes states out of everything so their power base grows and grows, while players often don't maximize states. So, make more states, or better yet vassal feed and annex and make states via diplo points rather than admin since your vassals will make states of everything if given time.. Make states, find cultures that are going to have a ton of development and accept those cultures. Those two things make a big difference for manpower, taxes, and trade power.

In my game I am the "number one world power" but my army is 60k and the Ottomans have around 200k. Everything they own is in a state, and I am at like...40-50%.

This feels like me! Is my mistake that I mostly play one-tag games? I really don't trust vassals to actually help me in wars (play a few games as Poland and Lithuania will happily demonstrate :v:)

skasion posted:

Why is your income in the toilet? Probably the best ways to gain a bunch of money is to dominate trade nodes -- end nodes (Venice, Genoa, English Channel) if you can get them, but any trade node you can dominate is a good thing -- or extort money from other nations in war. You might also be able to make some good money by conquering a gold-mining province (if there's one around) or developing production of a valuable trade good you already have (if you have any). If your manpower is running low, you need mercenaries, but if you are low on money this isn't a good option because they cost more than regular soldiers. If you're not currently at war or in immediate danger of being at war, or facing a rebel uprising, mothball your forts and reduce maintenance on your soldiers -- this will free up a lot of money if you do it habitually. I'd be able to give more specific advice if I knew exactly what you were playing -- some starts are just poor and their first task is just getting their finances in order.

The game that I'm currently staring at is a Commonwealth game and I don't really know how to manipulate Eastern Europe like I would, say, the African coast. I have like 1100 development, but it isn't really concentrated anywhere. Fort cleanup and mothballing is definitely something I need to pay more attention to.

Bold Robot posted:

In terms of enemies getting bigger, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, sometimes you have to repeatedly kick the poo poo out of an enemy to get them to the point where they aren't a threat anymore. This is especially true for nations that start off strong like France, Ottomans, Muscovy/Russia, and Austria. Second, alliances change throughout the game. Try and make friends with some of the newly powerful other nations.

Sometimes you just end up in a tight spot in the mid-game and need to wait a few decades for a good opportunity. In my current game it's just before 1600 and I'm Burgundy --> Netherlands, I own most of France and the low countries and I'm the #1 great power. But there's a lovely web of alliances around me and I keep getting coalitioned, so I haven't made any major territorial gains in a while. I've used the time to start building colonies and to grow my navy so I can take on England and Spain - once I take London I should be able to really pick up steam. I've also been taking provinces off smaller nations here or there when the opportunity arises. Moral of the story is, sometimes in EU4 you just need to put the game on speed 5 and wait for your chance.

Yeah, I've done a few games hellwarring France to death, so the chipping away is definitely something I'm familiar with. I think my lesson to take away is that I just need to let the country breathe a bit. Stepping back and letting the game just run for a bit is something I probably don't do enough of.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

oddium posted:

yeah but i'm a turbo baby who hates losing good runs

This is also me!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Mysticblade posted:

New dev diary up.

Basically, we can give a state bonuses in exchange for tripling the maintenance cost of that state. Some examples are:
code:
Enforce Religious Unity : 1% Missionary Strength
Protect Trade : +50% Provincial Trade Power
Promote Military Recruitment: +25% Manpower
Encourage Development: -10% Development Cost
Advancement Effort: +33% Institution Spread
Centralization Effort: -0.03 Monthly Autonomy
Also meant to be some UI clean up. Since this just requires money, it seems like a decent enough addition.

I'm really interested in where they've been going with this over the last few expansions. It looks a lot different from the basic map-painting of pre-Development-era EU4.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

This is a great post. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

TorakFade posted:

How do I Poland?

Beware the Ottomans. If you ever get in a war against Great Powers that's unbalanced in your favour, they love to intervene like the assholes they are. Ottoman proxy-warring is a pain in the rear end.

• Locked thread