Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!
I never had manpower issues before but holy poo poo manpower is actually important now. A major war will usually always set it down to 0 and I have to actually wait for it to come back up and give a poo poo about casualties and attrition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Does the AI follow manpower rules as well? Is bleeding the enemy manpower down to the point that they can't build or reinforce armies a strategy that works? In most all my wars the enemy doom stacks always seem to just re-grow and it's always me that runs out first.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I'm really lazy with army management. I have set template built stacks and in war I will never split them up because then I'll have to deal with sorting them all out after the war. So I'll sit there sieging with my 28 stack one fort at a time even with no enemy resistance because the idea of splitting an army up gets me all OCD.

Now that manpower actually seems to matter maybe I should stop that? What are some good army strategies? I know nothing about actually min-maxing combat other than "don't attack into mountains" the rest is unpredictable wizardry to me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Yeah I usually always do 100% Infantry, 2 cav, 50% arty for my mid-game armies. I don't know why always 2 cav but I remember reading somewhere they are only useful for flanking.

I sort of wish we had some slightly HoI style army management to an extent. So you'd create an army, which would be a set thing with all units permanently assigned to that army, but it could split up and raid provinces or spread out or carpet-siege as needed, but then re-form at the push of a button.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Silly peace question: when I take provinces in a peace on behalf of my ally or vassal who gets the aggressive expansion? The interface seems to show me getting it all. I always thought by spreading the provinces around to my friends I'd be spreading the AE around too?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Funky Valentine posted:

My armies are usually just the same "2 infantry, 1 cav, 1 art" spammed constantly.

Isn't that way too many horsies?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Bort Bortles posted:

I found this really funny because it is pretty much impossible in EU4 for the Ottomans to get that big, even if they ignored the Middle East. They get no good missions or events that help them conquer anything they did historically after Constantinople (conquer the Levant now gives a measly 10% discount on the coring cost on a ton of land), but Austria, Spain, and England get crazy missions to let them PU major countries. Why dont the Ottomans get missions or events inciting them to do historical conquests? Why dont the Russians get missions to conquer hordelands? Why isnt China represented better?

In my current France game the Ottomans have close to that and are threatening Venice although most of Hungary is ok. They also have a huge chunk of the mid-east.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I can't even wrap my head around WC's. I've been playing this game since it came out and the best I can ever do is maybe half of europe before the game ends.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I can't imagine playing the game at anything other than full speed or the 2nd highest speed. Full speed for normal play, 2nd highest speed for war.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Mugsbaloney posted:

Well I rushed exploration and hired me an explorer, sent him on a couple of missions... now what? I have reached greenland and the canaries, but the only exp mission available is to circumnav the world and i cant do that til dip 9. do I have to claim iceland as a base to sail further?

You can only send ships on exploration missions based on their range. You either need to get your diplo tech up or establish bases.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Do client states count towards diplomatic relations?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Yeah I was excited about the random maps but they turned out looking... lovely. They all looked like someone spend 2 min very quickly drawing a civ5 map. I'd be totally fine with a generator that took 5-10 min to generate and would create awesome maps with sensible colonial regions of a quality that matches the rest of the game. But only if it had to generate once. I don't know why the maps are re-generating every time you load a save??

I know a lot of games with random world maps let you generate the map on its own, then start a new game on that map. I think a better system would be a random map button or something and it lets you generate maps and see how they turn out and maybe let you tweak them then save them, then start a new game. Or do it blind, but still have it so you pre-generate the map once and get a good map.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

GSD posted:

I love how people in the thread keep doubting Wiz when he says Byzantium isn't in the top 10 of played countries.

I'd love to see more of their metrics. Like man, if wiz dumped a bunch of cool eu4 player stats on us every month, I'd eat that poo poo up. Who are people playing? How often do they cheat? Ironman/vs normal? How long is an average game? Uhg I love stats.

I also just love Wiz's attitude on the official forums. Straight talk and not afraid to call posts stupid.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 18, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Other than farming trade value is there really any point to colonies? I guess they pay you a bit of coin.

Also the new vassal interface is a bit bad. I love that we have more interaction but the whole raising and lowering tariffs thing doesn't show the existing tariff level or liberty desire. The old interface clearly showed the current percentage and showed the effect on liberty. Now you have to go back and forth.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
So often when starting a new game I'll check out the trade map and see how all the nodes go as I tend to play around trade. Even since common sense when you are in the new-game map and switch to trade view it will show all the trade regions but it doesn't show the nodes or connections. Is this a bug or something new?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Pellisworth posted:

Someone posted a few pages back that it's a display bug with some UI/visual mods that haven't been updated for CS trade nodes

I Don't have any mods. Totally vanilla.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
So south america has eaten 6 explorers so far and given me a tiny bit of prestige and about 50 adm points... gently caress these jungles.

My explorers also love to walk into other civilizations that are having massive revolts and fight their 15 stack rebel army.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Ok weird map issue, I don't exactly think it's a bug but I think it's probably something that should be changed.

I was france and got a PU with Portugal. Over time I annexed them and all their colonies. The problem though is that I can't even see half my own colonies now because I did not inherit their map. I don't have the exploration ideas so I can't explore, but it seems crazy that I wouldn't inherit the maps, or at least the provinces of my own colonial nations. Also since Portugal is gone it seems like the whole "spread of discoveries" things didn't happen because 100 years later I haven't had a single province new revealed.

When you annex a nation you should get their maps, barring that you should at least have all vassals/colonial nations at least have their own provinces revealed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
If you're not running a republic with a +1 republican tradition idea I don't know what to tell you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Is it normal for a fort to prevent me from retreating to sea? I landed via sea in a province then wanted out but could not move my force back to the ships as it said it was under a forts zone of control.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I really like the idea of upgrading provinces but I've always felt the whole EU4 economy was a bit of a clusterfuck. Basetax, production, trade power, the whole trade system. They're ok mechanics individually but they combine to make a fairly confusing mish-mash. They've gotten a lot better though, but I feel like there's a lot more balance in store.

I'd just love to see much more internal mechanics. More gameplay beyond war and diplomcy. CK2 is great for internal politics, and Victoria was great for internal economics and politics, but other than the rebel system there's not much. Development has been a great addition, but it seems like there's so much more room for gameplay. Flesh out culture and internal economics more and you could spend a whole game focusing internally.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Is there any way to force my religion on vassals or colonies? I colonized a bunch of places then switched to protestant and now they are fussy at me for being a different religion.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

PleasingFungus posted:

Check the subject interactions tab. IIRC it should work for vassals?

Nothing about religion in there. Just tariffs and placate and forcing them to embargo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I should really use mercs. I never bother because it's so many buttons to press. Have to recruit them all, assemble them, group them up, then detatch and disband after. It's also better to disband and recruit fresh than wait for them to heal up right?

I wish my standing armies could have little ghost-merc units in them that would auto-fill with mercs when war was declared or with the push of a button and then a disband mercs button that would disband them all but keep the empty ghost units.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
What happens if I take aristocrat idea group and then turn into a republic?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
So I can be a noble republic, take aristocratic, then switch to constitutional republic and take Plutocratic?? mama mia

I don't know what military ideas are good anymore. What would people recommend for a small country like the Netherlands that wants to expand a bit in europe but mostly just not get destroyed by HRE or France.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 23, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

MorphineMike posted:

I really wish the subjects stayed organised the same way between the subejcts tab and the subjects interaction tab. I just placated the wrong rulers.

Twice :negative:

The subject interaction screen feels really tacked on, like it was part of a mod. With the new interactions the whole vassal and vassal interaction screen really needs a re-do. You can't even see people's tariff levels or loyalty in the screen that lets you change those things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Thanks, I probably won't take quantity though as the flavour text sounds quite nasty.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Yeah I'm obsessed with money and development but I rarely take economic idea because I'm already rolling in money I don't need more. Money is never an issue for me in the game, what is an issue is monarch points, winning battles, and coring costs, that sort of thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I do actually find my self spending money more in common sense, but I might just be stepping my game up a bit more and actually playing more competitively. I no longer get half way through the game to notice I'm sitting on 20k gold, I basically spend it all on "stuff". The only problem is when you go beyond being able to afford 3 level 3 advisers. I like the adviser system but I wish there were other ways to sink cash into MP. EU3 had the whole investment system which was micro-managey and not fun but I'd love to have more little monthl budget-level things I spend cash on.

I sort of wish development worked that way too, more passive monthly spending vs click a button. So you'd set up a general focus to develop the tax base of your empire and budget X admin points a month, and your provinces would get slowly developed. You could focus on certain regions or individual provinces but it would mostly be out of your hands going on in the background along with some cool new internal economy/politics system. Not like Victoria level crazy, but just something that generally represented the health of your domestic economy, the health and productivity of your people, that sort of thing. I'd love to be able to invest in the welfare of my peasants to make them more free and happy and productive. I'd love to invest in more specific grand public-works type projects with fun bonuses. That sort of thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can anyone explain combat a little more? Like Morale vs Discipline vs shock vs fire and all that? Combat mechanics always seem to be changing so I don't trust wiki articles, or are they more or less up to date?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I'd love a mod that lets you change terrain type. For instance yeah netherlands were mostly swamp in the time period, but they converted them into "farmland" as time went on. If we can do insane impossibly unhistorical stuff like the Panama canal I wish we could dam and drain the dutch marshes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Yeah, they should have a base terrain, like the actual landform/climate, but leave further distinctions down to development level and maybe a building system. The difference between grassland and farmland is just the intensity of development. A flat forested area would become grassland then farmland over time with development.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
They really need to make it so that fleets on trade orders that need to repair do so at the closest FRIENDLY port rather than closest national port. My trade fleets are constantly sailing between Europe and the new world to repair because the AI won't send them to my colonial nations, even though they can dock and repair there just fine.

A few times they'll even take attrition on the way back to their trade zone, reach their trade zone and realize they need repairs and sail back to europe.
Wiz, please :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Wiz posted:

Will look at it.

Also who ever made it so that trade fleets in the same zone consolidate really made life easier, that was a really good change.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
It would also be nice if colonial nation's armies responded to native uprisings in land you are colonizing for them. They'll attack natives in their own colonies, and obviously their own rebels, but just sit there and let their overlord's colonies get killed by natives, even though that colony will become theirs the moment it reaches city status. CN's should basically treat any adjacent overlord colony as if it was their own territory when it comes to rebel/native suppression.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Luigi Thirty posted:

Maybe potatoes could start to displace temperate grain provinces in Europe after colonization of the New World begins.

Yeah potatoes were HUGE, ireland's population what, doubled? New world crops had a massive impact on european food production, would be cool to see their effects modeled in some way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I wish there was a way to see WHY the AI hates you in the empire. I hover over all the electors and they all show I'm at like -1100 and they list how much they like or hate everyone else, but not why. When I play in the HRE I never have any idea why anyone becomes emperor or why anyone votes for anyone so I end up ignoring it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

VerdantSquire posted:

If all the electors have you at -1000 for Emperorship, chances are that it's because you are ineligible for the position. Generally, the biggest reasons for why this might be the case are: A. You aren't in the Empire and all the electors like people who are in the Empire better than you, B. Your current monarch is Female and no one has gotten the Pragmatic Sanction, or C. you are a dirty heathen who follows a religion that's different from the current "official" religion of the Empire. I don't believe there are any other reasons for why you wouldn't be able to become the emperor, so if it isn't any of those three things then I have no clue as to why you could be at -1000 (unless you have a whole ton of AE and survived the clusterfuck of coalition wars somehow).

I'm playing as custom netherlands, about half my provinces are in the empire. I've taken a bunch of imperial provinces illegally and constantly ignore the demands to return them. I've vassalized electors and free cities. I lead the protestant league in a quick and decisive war that resulted in protestantism being the official empire religion, which saw Austria permanently lose its emperorship and it pass on to Saxony, who has been emperor over and over for a very very long time and seems to have blobbed big enough to form Germany and is my main rival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Ah, I'm a Noble republic. I didn't even think of the government angle.

• Locked thread