Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rapner posted:

kinda historically accurate in a roundabout way.

New thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

Hoi4 wants to have a word with you

Yeah, I'd love to have something like HoI4's system.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

buckets of buckets posted:

in hoi4 you're nothing more than a division designer who clicks attack

I'd much rather have something closer to that than what it is currently, where you have to manually control every single army across the entire world.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Phi230 posted:

It doesn't represent the time period. Armies in EU4 weren't like armies in ww2

Yeah, which is why I said I wanted something similar, not something exactly like it.

Literally all it has to be is a checkmark on the army UI saying "give the AI control of this army" and maybe some specific options for what you want it to do.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Why even play the game at all if you just want AI to do everything

just watch a timelapse on youtube or something

I don't want the AI to do everything. I want the AI to do some things for me when I want to focus my attention elsewhere. This isn't a difficult concept.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The main problem is that it sounds like you're relying too much on your allies for expansion. Allies can be very fickle, and waiting for them to join you in a war is usually a waste of time. Waiting passively for favors is particularly a bad idea, because it will take a decade at the very least (more like 20 or 30 years if your ally is a lot stronger than you), and favors aren't even a guarantee that you can call them in anyway. From your report you've waited for over 20 years just to get pulled into a losing war with France. During that time you haven't gotten any stronger, but your enemies have.

First of all, ditch your alliance with England. Never Ally Perfidious Albion. Even if you call them into a war, they'll just sit on their island forever and never help, and at the same time they'll call you into wars with their continental enemies causing you to get crushed while they white peace unscathed.

Allying Tlmecen and Castile is a good idea. You probably won't be able to call Castile into war against Morocco, but Tlemcen is more than enough to deal with them. If Morocco allies with Granada, you definitely don't need to wait for your truce with Granada to end. Get military access from Castile and immediately occupy Gibraltar. That way you can park your fleet in the strait and prevent Morocco and Granada from uniting their armies. That lets you deal with Granada while Tlemcen deals with Morocco. Aragon getting called in isn't a big deal because Castile will never give them military access.

Annexing Granada might be a good idea. You'll cause a lot of AE, and it might be enough for Castile to break your alliance. You can try to keep them happy, or you can find other allies that hate them (France and/or Aragon) to keep you safe.

tl;dr: you're passing up too many good opportunities waiting for the perfect one to never happen

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 31, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just did a quick game as Portugal to test out the strategy. Here's me in 1450, after my first war with Morocco:

I actually had to dishonor my alliance with Castile because they wanted to drag me into an early war with Aragon. That would have ruined my plans in exchange for practically nothing. Getting the attack Morocco as soon as possible gave me a much bigger advantage. Granada and Fez (Melilla) are my vassals, and Tlemcen owes me enough favors to call them into another war if I want. Castile and Morocco have no allies currently, and all Castile got out of the war with Aragon was a PU over Navarra (lol). I'll have a tech advantage over Castile for a very long time thanks to their garbage monarch and heir, so I could easily kick their asses for the next few decades if I wanted, removing them from the competition for colonization. I've set myself up in a really great position in less than 10 years.

Bottom line: being aggressive and taking risks really pays off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

To be clear, I did take Gibraltar pretty consistently. Just, translating that win into successful inroads into North Africa never seemed to quite work out. Relying on allies is more of a consequence of not being able to match Morocco in tech or manpower.

You can easily match them though. You start with a lovely regency and a below average monarch, but they start with an even shittier monarch. Set your focus to military and you'll be able to out tech them. They have a slightly larger force limit than you but that's not something you need Castile to deal with. You can easily take them on with the strategy I outlined.

Like I said, you're waiting way too long for the perfect opportunity to strike. 10 years to wait for Castile to get off their asses is a huge waste. What are you doing in the meantime?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sephyr posted:

My Scandinavia run was going quite well, until suddenly my troops got crap morale overnight in the late 1700s. I have Offensive, Quantity and Quality ideas, Tradition usually around the high 60s, good discipline and absolutism. Did they implement anything? I saw that pretty much all of my enemies suddenly got a "being drilled" morale more of +15%, which I don't have. Is it something from Mandate of Heaven?

It means they took the Defensive idea Military Drill.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Quality is good if you're going hard for discipline. Having high morale ends battles faster, while having high discipline lets you inflict higher casualties. The rule of thumb is that morale wins battles, but discipline can win wars. Of course you always have to be careful because having too low morale compared to your enemy puts you at risk of being stack wiped.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

*bonades

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

boners

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

How do you get at Morocco if you can't call in any allies? Tlemcen won't ally me right off the bat, and while I improve relations or whatever they'll raid my coasts preventing me from allying them :v:

Send one of your heavy ships to hunt privateers in Sevilla. That will prevent them (or anyone else) from raiding your coasts. Improve relations should get you an alliance with Tlemcen long before your regency ends.

If you can't get any allies, you can try wearing them down on your fort in Ceuta. Take Melilla while they try to siege the fort and then keep attacking them in Ceuta until they run out of manpower. Not ideal, which is why you want Tlemcen for the heavy lifting.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 2, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Get the personal union with Aragon, then luck into a PU with France. France is still recovering from a devastating war, only has 20k soldiers, I have 37k, yet France is given a 200x more powerful rating than me so it wants liberty non-stop, England supports their bid, and I get hosed over. Also, civil wars galore.

Having Aragon and France as subjects at the same time is going to be rough, because their liberty desire is based on the total power of all your vassals and union partners. I'd honestly be surprised if you could handle just France.

p.s. post ur map

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ro5s posted:

What're good ways to generate absolutism anyway? I usually grab the +1 per year age boost but that's about it, should I be lowering autonomy wherever possible and suppressing/fighting the rebels it makes?

Reman's got you covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oi9DkyqoPA

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Did you occupy the emperor's capitol as well?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cool! Two new buildings that do the exact same thing as old buildings!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Oh you can reduce your provinces development to gain a lump sum bonus, surely that must be good

Lol

lmao are you loving kidding me

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can definitely see myself hammering the exploit manpower button.

Like that's ridiculously good. Even in a 2 manpower province you'll get 2500 manpower. And it gets more efficient as the base manpower increases, because you only lose 1 no matter how high it is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They already said you can only exploit each province once every 20 years.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Wait, so a land-locked nation can get a bunch of sailors by exploiting its production? How does that work? :psyduck:

The button will probably be greyed out if you're landlocked, which would be extra hilarious.

There is a funny bug where if you're landlocked but border a lake, you can get the event that converts some of your manpower to sailors. I haven't seen it in a while though so it might have been fixed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stop being France's junior bitch then.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oddium posted:

the world is a vampire

No child can be Khan!

Dipshit McGoo (0/1/0) is our new ruler.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In general they need to do something to limit a country's global power projection. Countries in that time period should have trouble just moving their armies around in their own territory, but you regularly see countries in game marching enormous armies across entire continents while suffering only minor attrition. That feeds into the Ming problem - not only can they make tributaries over a ridiculous distance, but they also are able and willing to defend them with overwhelming force. Unfortunately I think that's something that's going to have to wait for EU5.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of Ming, I just managed to cause a mingsplosion.

The question is: would now be a good time to become Qing? Having a ton of permanent claims and ditching the bad parts of being a horde would be nice, but I also don't want to ditch the good parts of being a horde.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Node posted:

Wow, I thought Mingsplosions were a thing of the past, even with the Undefended Frontier disaster.

It's still possible, but you definitely have to be more proactive about it. I stopped being a tributary as soon as I had 300 development and they passed their first reform, and then waited for them to get the disaster. Unfortunately they declared war on me before that, but then the disaster fired during the war so I was able to turn it into a win and take Beijing. That tanked their mandate, but it still wasn't enough. So once the truce was over I declared war on them, steamrolled their armies, and took their capitol and a bunch of forts. Then, when they had max war exhaustion and rebels were starting to pop, I signed a white peace. They exploded a few years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Forming Qing isn't the same as taking the Mandate, right? So why would you need to juggle tributaries?

Yeah that's correct. Taking the mandate does give you the Unify China CB, which is only 50% AE, but I really don't think it's worth it.

I think I'll stay as Manchu. Forming Qing does give me permanent claims, and 25% less coring cost on all of China is pretty huge, but being able to raze provinces and use the horde CB (75% AE) means I can conquer China faster.

• Locked thread