Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The only paid feature that tempts me is Trade Policies. I'll wait to see how people take to Professionalism, since that's the feature that I really balk at.

I do like the free stuff--I believe the new trade goods are part of the free update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Reman's new video proposes a fun idea for a run in Europe: How to Crush the Protestant Reformation.

Might give it a go myself.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Sounds like you had some unlucky runs. EUIV is kind of unforgiving though it does offer avenues to recover from failure. Revanchism is one such way; this is also why your enemies seem to gain manpower back much faster than you. The worse they make out in a peace offer, the more war exhaustion they lose immediately and the greater temporary bonuses they have. This is also why sometimes white-peacing when you're winning can be a good idea; the high exhaustion and low manpower will result in revolts that they often can't fight. Oh, and they don't pay upkeep for forts. Pretty sure they have to pay upkeep for units though.

You shouldn't wait to take on France. Build whatever alliances you need, promise land if you have to--what's important is crushing France because their national ideas are too good. As soon as you have the alliances, you've taken Grenada and Navarre and you've got the PU, attack.

If you're having trouble, I advise not playing Iron Man and making a lot of saves until you're confident enough to do Iron Man. Or do Iron Man and just make the multiple saves the hard way, by copying them into another folder for safekeeping.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
"Protect the Secret - As Yemen, prevent any European Nation from owning a Coffee-producing province in the Old World until 1700."

...How are you supposed to pull this one off? Conquer the new world from Mexico on down and then all of the South Pacific? It sounds like the moment any Euro gets a coffee province you're locked out.

Similarly, the Around the World in 80 Days achievement sounds really hard.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oops, didn't notice the "Old World" stipulation. Still hard, but not as hard.

• Locked thread