Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Is it just me (or mac users in general), or is the mouse super hosed up now? Like just trying to move it to select anything causes random zoom and scrolling, and it's super irritating.

It's all of us:

Trabisnikof posted:

There are OS X trackpad issues since the most recent patch, you can workaround them by using a mouse, but don't expect to play without one until they get fixed.

Spiderfist Island posted:

Yeah, I'm also having these trackpad issues as well, and to top it off the built-in keyboard shortcuts don't even work anymore. Plugging in a mouse makes zooming take forever now, and the game seems to be burning up my computer considerably more than it did previously.

:sigh: Mac support has always been pretty iffy but this really blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does increasing production via development increase your trade power in the node that province is in?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can someone explain how Mercantilism works and where I can check how much of it I have? I can't find any tooltip that says anything about it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

StashAugustine posted:

It's under trade tab somewhere, its basically a multiplier on province trade power

Thanks.

Along similar lines, what's the strategy on when to place a colony into your trade company or not?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Node posted:

Nice writeup, explanation, and hotfix.

Did the random zooming in and out issue people were having get addressed? I missed that in the patch notes if it was.

The notes say they fixed the hosed up trackpad on MacBooks, so it should be fixed. As far as I know that was the only zooming issue.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Senso posted:

I don't know how any of you were able to play with the Macbook trackpad, I once tried and it was the most tedious gameplay experience. :psyduck:
Even with the Apple magic mouse, it was terrible. I eventually bought a "normal" mouse with a normal scrollwheel just for EU4.

It's totally fine? Paradox games are great for trackpads/laptops because you don't need to do a lot of fast or precise movements. It's like browsing the web or something, just kinda clicking here and there and scrolling around.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mac performance is waaaaay better since the last patch. :thumbsup: But nothing appears when I try to type a province name into the search box. Anyone else having this problem?

Also, I just annexed Aztec in my game and gained all of their vassals. I don't want these losers; is this supposed to happen? Can I just release them and conquer them?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone else getting a CTD on a Mac when they try to load a saved game while already in a game? Is this a stealth nerf to savescumming?????

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is it possible for a conquistador to actually find the Seven Cities or is it just a cocktease?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Playing as Portugal, the decision to adopt Plutocratic Administration has disappeared. It was there before I got high enough admin to enact it, but now it's gone. It doesn't even appear int the list to show its requirements. What gives?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mountaineer posted:

You probably have 20 or more provinces.

I dunno about that, but could be. I'm Portugal so I suspect I own less than 20 provinces myself, but if you count subjects then yeah I have a ton. Can you never become a republic if you have more than 20 provinces?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are protectorates worth using or should I just take the land myself? I'm playing as Portugal and trying to decide what to do with East Africa and the Far East.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's a good way to kill off an heir (if any)?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's a good starting strategy and idea plan for Brandenburg?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any thoughts as between Administrative and Economic ideas for Brandenburg? Leaning towards Admin for the coring cost reduction.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

Both are good. I took Econ on my TO -> Prussia run and have been focused more on building vertical than purely expanding. Brandenburg/Prussian ideas get -5% development cost, plus you'll probably want to go Protestant and with HRE reform bonuses that's another few development discounts. Admin is also very good for the coring discount and merc bonuses, manpower is even tougher to come by.

I would heartily recommend Aristocratic, especially if you plan on doing any significant vassal integration. The loss of the Embassy building means you're stuck with two diplomats, and integration is roughly twice as expensive and time-consuming as before Common Sense.

I would go Admin, Influence, Aristocratic for a heavy expansion game. You won't have all that many free points to spend on development early in the game anyway, so you can totally wait and take Econ later, especially after you unlock the University building for super cheap development.

Edit: here's that TO game, Poland Kiev and Novgorod are my mega-marches with France as my main ally. Was hoping Kiev would form Ruthenia but apparently they have to be independent for that decision, also have my dynasty on the French throne so might get a PU eventually. Smashed the Catholics and Protestantism has been the official faith of the HRE for almost a century, but I haven't been able to get elected Emperor after the decision to form Prussia removed me from the HRE, oh well. Took Econ but not Admin, no diplomatic idea lines at all.

Been slowly eating Denmark and now working on Norway and Sweden. Denmark and Norway always take Aristocratic so they have awful coring costs. Forming Germany is my next goal.

Thanks for the writeup. I haven't played in a million years so I'm pretty rusty on this kind of stuff.

What determines what provinces a vassal will accept these days? I know the rules for vassal feeding have changed since the old days when they would take literally anything, but I have no idea what the specifics. Will they only accept cores or is it broader than that?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

alcaras posted:

Why can we still not tab/swipe out of EU4 on Macs :(

Inshallah Paradox will add this functionality some day. I would pay five bucks for a DLC that did this and nothing else.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any ETA for 1.13? Hesitant to do any development in my current game since it's about to become a lot cheaper.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Two questions:

1. What's a good idea progression for Milan?

2. Are there any good map mods that make the map flatter, like late EU3? I hate the lumpy map.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

When different unit types have the same number of total pips but they're distributed slightly differently, does it really matter which one you pick? I'm thinking of situations where like you have 3 options and, in a given category, one has one more pip for offensive, one has one more pip for defensive, and one is balanced. My guess is it barely matters but I'd be interested to hear the take of a more experienced player.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How hard is it to form the Netherlands without using a custom nation? Seems like you're guaranteed to be surrounded by huge great powers unless you get lucky with the Burgundian Inheritance.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PittTheElder posted:

I haven't tried it since CS completely changed Burgundy, but it was pretty easy before. The Burgundian Inheritance is actually something of a curse, just because Burgundy tends to be a lot easier to beat up than Austria is. But either way, the way to do it is the same; start as one of the minors, probably Gelre (as a Monarchy they can do RMs, which really helps), butter up France, use them to pounce on Burgundy at an opportune moment, take as many provinces as possible, free any minors you can. Once you've beaten Burgundy once, use the truce to go eat the rest of the Dutch minors.

I imagine it's pretty easy to start as someone like Holland now too, and just get France to support your independence.

As for being surrounded by huge powers, it's not all that tricky to balance. You definitely want Quantity ideas, but you'll be so rich that you'll be able to field an army nearly as large as France's, and forts now give you the strategic depth that the Netherlands so sorely lacked pre-CS.

If you form the Netherlands as a monarchy, does forming the country convert you to a Dutch Republic?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

I had this problem when playing a save after a patch once, I think you uhh... need to delete some file and let the game re-generate the thingy that calculates distances. Someone help me out here? What am I remembering?

You're thinking of deleting the map cache: http://steamcommunity.com/app/236850/discussions/0/616189742737100482/?insideModal=1

This usually fixes weird map distance issues. Would be interested to hear if this works.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Did you guys try deleting the map cache though?

E: nevermind didn't see Wiz had posted

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thoughts on idea choices for a Dutch minor --> Netherlands campaign? Trying to figure out how early to take exploration.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Best part of the new patch is how you can actually see morale during combat now. :thumbsup:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is Reformed any good? The Fervor bonuses look kinda eh compared to the customizable bonuses for Protestantism.

On another note, any tips for beating Portugal to the Cape in a Dutch game?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What determines what exploration missions are available? Just recruited an explorer as Holland in 1472 and the only option is to circumnavigate the globe.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does developing Production in a province give trade power?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there no way to new your current ruler in an election when you have a Dutch Republic?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It's really dumb that a protectorate starting/finishing Westernization doesn't get a popup by default.

Also I think I found a bug: The "Land Reclamation in Holland" decision doesn't seem to stick. I select it, development costs go down in Holland, but then if I go back a couple minutes later costs are back up and the decision can be taken again.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 6, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Protecting trade increases your trade power in that node. Trade power determines how much you collect from a node you are collecting in, or how much you transfer from a node where you are transferring. So if you transfer from node A to node B, then collect in B, you want to protect trade in both to maximize your income. Only protecting trade where you collect won't do much good if you aren't transferring much to that node.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I didn't realize mercs don't upgrade automatically, but it makes sense. This explains why my merc stacks that I keep out in the colonies have been underperforming.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I don't like the change to switch the free leader alert to a too many leaders button. I found that alert really useful.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does the Abolition of Slavery Act actually do anything to your slave trade goods? It seems like it ought to but the tooltip doesn't say anything about it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's a good idea order/strategy for Milan?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bishop Rodan posted:

I haven't done a Milan game myself, but a friend of mine has, and he says that Influence first is essential due to the AE reduction idea.

Makes sense.

How easy is it to raise Republican Tradition while in a Republican Dictatorship? I just became an Ambrosian Republic and my first leader is a 6/4/6 eighteen year old. It would be cool to have him rule in a Republican Dictatorship for a while, then flip back to Ambrosian Republic when he dies, which apparently happens if you have over 50 RT upon leader death. Is this realistic?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Another Person posted:

AE. Annexing the last Papal State would leave me sitting at 27. Taking Urbino would put me over 30.

30 is just the threshold where countries might start to enter a coalition against you, but the chance is pretty low at that point unless you're a total weakling. I don't have hard numbers or anything but you can go way above 30 before a coalition forms. Even once the coalition forms, you can often just ride it out and wait for countries to leave.

Long story short it's often worth going above 30 AE to take land.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ottomans has become defender of the faith in my Muscovy game, so I can't declare on the hordes without them getting involved. How hosed am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

toasterwarrior posted:

poo poo, army composition as Russia is tricky. No, not the inf/cav/art split; it's learning how to build stacks that won't attrition themselves to death in the harsh snowscape while remaining strong enough to fend off rebels or whatever while other stacks rush to their aid.

EDIT: When to put off tech upgrades is tricky too. Can't decide if the production and trade bonuses are worth losing to advance ideas and poo poo, what with mercenaries being key to my playstyle.

Is the usual inf/cav/art split different as Russia? Does Westernizing change it?

• Locked thread