Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
DoW someone with an ally in that region, then take a province in the peace deal (unjustified demands), then work from there. Depending on what luck you have you can also get the mission to conquer Jerusalem from the Mamluks, that's a nice point to hop there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Isn't there also a new disaster that can fire pretty early?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
If Portugal was the defender then France would need to occupy London to win that war, which they probably couldn't do so it ended in a white peace.
Most likely Castile is allied with Portugal too and joined them in a defensive war against the attacker France.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You should not give them money for Mandate of Heaven because it was bad quality and hasn't been fixed since it's release. Once they fix the Ming mechanic it's a good DLC that adds nice QoL stuff.
You should not give them money for the next DLC since it adds an unneeded new resource instead of improving already existing systems.

Really we should stop giving them money until they release a patch or DLC that actually merges/streamlines existing systems. If need be they can just make a combo DLC too unlock all the existing paid features so people can catch up.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Boot.ini is enough, can leave the rest untouched.

New achievements haven't been presented yet have they? Not got many fun ones left to do except for the Hormuz one which I want to wait a patch.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Quoting myself to point out that the randomized nations function needs a button you can push that will assign you a random 200 point nation somewhere in the world with random ideas and size and such.

Just push that button and the game boots up and dumps you in a surprise nation in a surprise world.

I would love some sort of "Civ" mode, random map, random nation and then see where you go.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

imo we need a new bar to fill that lets you purchase missions

when you do certain things you get Mission Points and then you can choose from a longer list of possible missions, with more powerful missions costing more

this would fit perfectly with the Paradox design model of each DLC/patch introducing at least two new types of points to manage, because we always need more UI elements and bars to watch fill up!

Yeah I'd prefer it if they alternated between bars and sliders, or maybe add one of each per expansion?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Schizotek posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not counting their North African holdings which never get conquered because Tunis always decides to be a vassal in everything but name, but they always eat Egypt faster than they historically did and then eat Persia by 1550. Sometimes they hold off on Europe, but sometimes they go ham until they reach the HRE.

e: I ran a game on observe while I read a book to demonstrate. I don't think it proved anything I wanted it to.

I only just realized Ligor, wtf.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Those Theocracy ideas will survive exactly one patch.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
On my last Auld Alliance run I formed GB, not tried it since then. Don't get why things like that are excluded anyway. Same with the Norway/Sweden achievements, starting as them should be good enough.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm officially at "I can't find the will to play anymore until the next expansion comes out". I hope it is soon, and it fixes China.

there wasn't a single word on that, so yeah....
I recommend not buying the new DLC if it's not fixed but people are too big into this game and will buy it anyway.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah but you'll be playing those games without new mechanics, if you don't buy the DLC. So meh, time to put EU4 until they fix it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah something to consolidate mechanics is really needed now, try playing the game with only 1-3 DLCs and see how weird and broken it actually is.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Because that interface so nice once you're a large nation like the Ottomans. Edicts are the most user friendly thing ever.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Low Mandate should increase liberty desire in their subjects. This also needs to scale way better with the power/amount of tributaries. Ming has to core/conquer stuff, not just diplo tributary.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You all are playing Russia wrong, just saying. Here's how Muscowy works these days:
- Beat the poo poo outta Novogrod
- Beat the poo poo outta Denmark and steal Iceland (depending on how you're setup you might have to steal Faroes first)
- First 2 ideas should be Admin / Exploration and you're 3rd is Offensive.
- Use your Colonists for the new world, and do the Siberia thing using the frontiers ability. Canada -> East Coast -> Caribbean should be your order of establishing CNs.
- Conquer your way to dominate the Baltic / Lübeck / North Sea trade nodes. Doable by 1550. The Baltic coast is your playground, make sure people know it.

Russia with the DLC is so stupidly overpowered it's better than the Ottomans after the first 50 years.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Third Rome might have still sold ok, I mean I did buy it too, because I had the tendency to buy all the DLC. But at this point the game just doesn't hold it together anymore so buying any DLC that doesn't come with a clean up is a waste of money.

I've come to the realization that Paradox is not so different from other companies anymore, just instead of releasing a broken game and not supporting it then shifting to the sequel, they release broken DLC and don't support it properly, while shifting to the next DLC. Part of this problem is money. They can't fix the interaction between all the systems because they need to work on their own, because they are all independent paid features.

Can you imagine the outcry if they'd suddenly sell all the old DLC in a single cheap pack or made those features free? Access or cheap access to all those features is kind of a requirement to make a clean up patch viable. At which point it will make more sense financially to just sell EU5.

I understand Paradox needs to make money because devs like to eat and pay their rent, but the current system isn't working anymore for me. And it looks like I am not alone with this.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Personally I wouldn't care but I think the backlash would be bigger than you say. Expecting them to be rational and realize how many hours per DLC/money they had is not something they'll see. They might get mad that "freeloaders" get all their toys too now.

But I really don't see a way around it, if we want a better EU4. 2-3 more DLCs with the current theme and the game will be garbage. As it is people already disable DLC to get away from some of the bad tacked on things.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How would Tibet ever have enough admin for that?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The static trade nodes would be my #1 thing to fix in EU5. gently caress the concept of "end nodes". I want to reverse trade flow, stupid white privilege!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Valiantman posted:

I don't know about that. Modding them, sure, if it's doable. Ocean currents, river flow and mountain passes just created trade routes in reality, though. Not all but many large cities are at river estuaries and such for a reason and I like that it's not random.

Trade routes were generally two way connections.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Rapner posted:

20 prestige per 10 liberty desire reduction, or 5 per development. They were around 400% liberty desire, 300% of which was from something like 'events, interactions and blahblah' from them being rebel released I guess. It didn't tick down at all afaik. But behaved like a loyal vassal. I figured I don't mind abusing a bug to fix a bug.

They nerfed this a while back, I think mostly because of Persia. Every province that defects to a vassal increases liberty desire.
Yes, this was added exactly to stop the Ottomans or whoever else in the region from releasing Persia OPM, white peacing a 100% ws war against the Timurids and then getting all of Persia for free.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
More people need to do the "Own every Chinaware province as Saxony". House rule: no exploration allowed, take the land way.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

reignonyourparade posted:

Vassals don't take exploration, so if you grabbed them quick enough they very well might not be the one who finally ruins it.

I am pretty sure I had vassals like Brittany pick exploration before, do you have any confirmation for this?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That is well possible, I usually release those nations as vassals from a single province instead of force vassalizing, gives more AE but they start with my techs.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Republics don't scale well if you get bigger, if you have more than 20 provinces in states you pay -0.1 rt per year per province above that limit. On average your rulers will also have less points than if you were a monarchy.
Might be worth it to pick up Plutocratic ideas tough, then just wait for the even that puts you back into a monarchy. Plutocratic ideas are about the best and probably only good thing Republics have left in this game.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am not actually sure, is it still possible to move your capital to an other continent? Might be easy to move your capital there for a bit, also saves 300 days travel time for colonists.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Mr. Fowl posted:

:stare:

I've never seen the ottomans get that bad. It's eaten Russia, Poland, Lithuania, east Africa...It's gone down almost every route of expansion the Ottomans usually pursue, save for Persia. And it's got a solid chunk of that too.

Looks like the average 1600s Ottomans to me. If they ever get going, they'll keep on going until the player intervenes.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

The only thing that could make me more excited than AI economy improvements is confirming that they're looking at tributaries / EoC mechanics. The free content for this patch so far is really exciting, the paid stuff not so much.

So any guesses as to what the huge secret 1.23 change they haven't announced yet is?

Free content includes significant map improvements in the middle east, new trade goods, and AI improvements.

Yep, makes the decision to not buy it really easy imo. I can get a better experience getting the Hormuz achievement without really feeling I miss out on anything for not giving them money this time around.

Don't think we will see any AI/EoC/Ming fixes until the patch notes are out. But at this point I wouldn't get your hopes up, they've been too quiet about it, so it doesn't look like they think it's a problem the optimal Asia/middle east strategy is to become a tributary asap.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So you're saying someone has to do what Paradox wont, make a single item that ties all the DLC together?

It is time for EU5, of course they wont make it as long as people buy mediocre EU4 DLCs. If they need a feature to sell EU5, make it random world generation and non-static trade flow.

fake edit: don't remember ever being so unenthusiastic about an EU4 dlc release. It even coincides with my week off but I doubt I'll play at all.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

DDRJake has also mentioned that China won't accept tributary requests from very distant countries anymore. (He remarked on this in a stream after noticing that he could become a tributary as the Great Horde in like 1450)

I dunno how many of ming's AI tributaries ask to be one instead of being asked, so I dunno how impactful this will really be. This will only reduce tributary numbers if the AI actually asks to become one. My fear is that the only thing this will do is make it impossible for outsiders to become a tributary if they want to declare war on other tributaries without intervention.

This only fixes the player strategy of becoming immune to coalitions/dows by becoming a Ming tributary. I can see why they would do that, since it was really easy to abuse in India an the middle east.
The event frequency wont fix anything and this diplo change wont either. Asia will still be a boring poo poo fest and it's just ever so slightly harder to become a tributary so you can start eating tributaries.

At this point they should just change it so that every tributaries liberty desire goes up based on the total amount of base tax from all tributaries. If Ming doesn't acquire new lands but simply spheres everything, it should become unstable and tributaries should band against them.

Paradox' current approach goes into the "implement it in a DLC and forget it exists" theme we've been seeing. Like they feel they need to spend all their time on new features so they can sell something.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Don't forget to press the Strelsky button, it's overpowered. In general Russian nations are very good right now, if you own the DLC.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Not liking Colonization makes for very suboptimal game play. Pretty much every Indian/Asian country will greatly profit from it and it should be picked as first or second idea. Your first colonization goal is to close off the cape so Europeans can't get to Asia. Also make sure you discover the coast of the Americas so you have a chance to spawn Colonialism in Asia, which makes live for the euros that much harder.
Once you got the Cape sealed off you colonize 5 provinces in Australia to get a CN, work a bit on the Philippines and make sure to get Alaska and California CNs. Mexico can be very useful too.

It will slow your growth at first but by around 1550 you'll be more powerful than anyone else in the region and super rich with all the trade.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I've not used that since it first got introduced and back then it was really poo poo because you got the autonomy floor and only 1 decision was actually good. And it's really annoying to get those decisions passed in the first place, so most of them weren't even worth bribing for.

Maybe it got fixed since then but it was one of the rather bad flavour things added in a DLC. And it's a bad joke compared to what Russia got.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Let him be Castile and you take Austria, makes a nice tag team to control everything. Castile + Pope or Austria + Pope are good combos too, you both have room to expand and the same enemies.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

drat that has pretty borders, too. I'm embarrassed that I cannot accomplish that as a player yet I have seen people posting about how the AI is doing it all the time.

It comes down to what Tunisia, France and Castile are actually doing. If given the opportunity Morocco is a very strong nation, good ideas as well. Iberian AI being stupid enough to send 20 stacks into your desert death hells can help too.
You can actually try to play them like Castile, go get a colonial empire, ally the Ottomans + France, stomp everyone with mercs from your trade money.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Sprechensiesexy posted:

They are increasing Mandate cost for reforms from 50 to 70, that should make Ming much more punchable.

Yes clearly the reforms are the issue with Persia being a tributary in 15 loving 20.

This does nothing, what needs to be changed is how easy someone becomes a tributary and even more so, how easily they stay one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah the problem is the stability and range of their tributaries combined with the amount of money and tech they have. It's hell wars to get them down. Like I want to do the Hormuz achievement and one of the best tactics I've seen is become a tributary early on.

• Locked thread