Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

I've just been eating the prestige hit. It's -20 prestige every 15 years or something? Meanwhile I gain +40 prestige for relieving some Asian middle power of all their provinces every 2-3 years.

He still has a point, that mechanic doesn't scale at all, bonuses are pretty much province only things or otherwise useless while the bribes go up and up and up. About the best one might be the +colonist one but even that gets too hard to achieve if you conquer anything as England.
That whole thing needs to be revamped, I know it's new and all but it should never have been rolled out like it is.

It's about as stupid as some of the event choices in the game "lose 1 stab" or "gain 1 inflation" uh let's see 150+ admin for +1 stab or the 70 or whatever admin to reduce inflation by 2......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am not sure what a good way good way to fix it is, I feel like there needs to be something to scale rewards up or scale the bribes down based on number of seats, maybe balance bribes overall.

When CS released I did a couple of England games and it quickly became obvious that the numbers of this system don't add up, since then I've avoided this type of government.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
He got a PU over Hungary, he kept Italy in and the Burgundian Inheritance fired, those things are half of what you need to get that far.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Wiz is there any chance you could rework Rome being a requirement for Northern Italy staying in the HRE? Austria just seem to ally them too often, preventing them from keeping the HRE together. I also always assumed that the Papal States/The Pope is the secular arm while the Emperor was the worldly arm, so it would make sense for the two of them to work together.

I guess the AI just doesn't fully understand how that Italy things works.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
As much as I like earlier starts, the mods that implement them are just so bad.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
code:
# Very Hard
achievement_albania_or_iberia = {
	id = 105

possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		tag = ALB
	}

happened = {
		has_switched_nation = no
		iberian_peninsula = {
			type = all
			country_or_vassal_holds = ROOT
		}
		caucasus = {
			type = all
			country_or_vassal_holds = ROOT
		}
	}
}
I actually culture shifted to Crotatian so this should be fun, since I can do Krabatar after this one.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Tahirovic posted:

code:
# Very Hard
achievement_albania_or_iberia = {
I actually culture shifted to Crotatian so this should be fun, since I can do Krabatar after this one.

Just as a follow up, this worked. Early in the game I took some Croatian land and this was enough to culture shift from Albanian to Croatian. I got the Albania or Iberia achievment and after that formed Croatia and got the Krabatar one with the same savegame.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Mid term as Spain you want to conquer southern France and the Genoa node and collect there, if you kept Portugal as a vassal they will help you steer trade to the Seville node.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I just finished The White Elephant and I am wondering if Buddhism is like the worst religion unless you want to play world police. The whole Karma system is so punishing it forces you to start punitive wars to release cores/nations or cheese the whole thing with nations like Malacca.
The way I did it was keep Malacca alive and every time the truce run out I declared on them and forced them to release the other nation with cores on it, so those 6 provinces went from Malacca to Johor and back for 200 years or whoever long it took me to get the other provinces for the achievement.

I know you can return cores and release nations without diplo point cost as Buddhist nation but are there any other advantages to it that I just missed?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I've actually been looking at the Orissa achievment seeing my "Take that von Hapsburg" is pretty much done. I've got Austria under a PU and now I can just expand to get more development to make integration more likely/faster if done manually. Maybe get Jerusalem and Mecca as a joke and because I can.

How annoying is the Orissa achievement to get all tropical wood provinces, I know they can spawn from colonies, at least in the pacific.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I actually completed the Meissner Porcelain one by pulling a Saxony snake trough the steppes, disgusting borders but it was fun as hell and got me some hilarious AI DoWs.

Seems the main problem with Tropical wood is South America, gonna have to see how I can cheese westernization with colonies and then build enough power to fight Portugal.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It it still really annoying to handle karma and your best best is to cheese it using some small nations with double cores that you force to release the other nation every time the peace is up.
Buddhism is really manpower draining because you need to do so many pointless wars just to not gently caress up your karma.

Also gently caress you RNG, my Take that von Habsburg game was almost done and then out of nowhere I get to challenge 3 province Ryazan for a PU over a huge Muscowy. My first random PU in the last 600 or so hours and it's in a game I am done with.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Wouldn't it be cool if the AI could plan long term to be allied with you and then plan a proper backstab? Or just be actual best buddies for life because they should know I will burn and salt their entire country if they stop being my allies.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Yashichi posted:

Integrating Naxos and Corfu is stupid anyway because you have to eat the diplo rep penalty for 10 years to get one province apiece. Just release them when you have the prestige and take the provinces. Taking Plutocracy and Humanist is also a dumb idea when your new ideas will give you 3% missionary power and 3 tolerance true

Depends on how much you value the -10% accepted culture threshold policy. Together with the base from humanism and the trading modifier it could be pretty good for a bonus to tax/manpower from the minor cultures.
Personally I'd ignore it and go Admin for the cheaper cores, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
My Orissa game only got off because the Timurids stayed strong for 50 years and hosed with all the alliances. Admittedly it took me 3 or 4 restarts as well, I don't think there's a fix strategy for Orissa, the start is simply too weak with all those strong nations around you. I think I've hardly been as opportunistic before as in this game tough, just wait until someone fucks up then jump on them to grow.
I also used two early colonies to grab lands in Indonesia to get some more power, that seemed to help with forcelimits and manpower too.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am a bit worried what revanchism will do to lucky nations, I feel they should be cut out from this mechanic. France and the Ottos can already recover from early losses because they are lucky, giving them yet and other fall back seems pretty boring.

And we all know how annoying SEA games are when Ming doesn't collapse, revanchism will make this less likely too.

Guess we'll see how it plays.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think one thing that is really annoying with wars is the alliance system. If an ally doesn't have military access to participate in a war, they shouldn't count for warscore or make it so that the game automatically gives the required access. Having to wait 5 years just because some lovely 3 province minor is involved in my war but is behind my rival is annoying.

I mostly fully siege and punish allies because they annoy me, they turn a 1 year war into a 5 year war and make me burn extra manpower, so they need to suffer.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Maybe Humiliation shouldn't be a Rival only thing, but have an increased effect if enforced on a Rival. This might also help with the really lovely calculation for valid rivals.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah the problem will be the penalties for killing the pope.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Since when are the extra missionaries from Jerusalem and Mecca gone? Or is it because I am Hindu?
I really needed those extra missionaries, now I kinda hosed up an iron man game by loading myself with extra wrong-religion territory when it was supposed to help me get rid of it. Guess I will have to try and spawn a Hindu Najd vassal somehow.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Looks like I was luckier than you, I even beat the euros to the Cape, guess who's earning 200+ in trade. But it will be very close for me, I am currently thinking 1790/1800 to finish it, if I even can, due to being to scared and grabbing extra land to be more powerful for dealing with the euros.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

I posted a dev diary about Horde features in the secret new expansion we're working on.

Awesome new mechanics, do you know yet how Horde Unity will be affected by the size of your Horde?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah Bahmanis was actually more difficult to beat than Vij in my Orissa run, Vijangar imploded and I actually vassalized them as OPM and then fed them.
Overall this Orissa achievement run was pretty fun, stacking coring cost reduction to core Africa for less than 10 adm per province never gets old. The feature where you can tell a CN to DoW someone is pretty drat awesome too, send your CN some gold and then tell them to DoW an other CN and they'll kick their rear end.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Are there any special events for Bohemia that I should be aware of when starting a new game? Aiming for The Bohemians and Neither Holy, Nor German achievements.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Yashichi posted:

I'm pretty sure independence is 22%

I would say it's actually based on development. They could fix it with ticking warscore going high enough and it ticks while the CN's capital isn't occupied by their overlord.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Colonial Air Force posted:

Wouldn't the CN just move their capital then? That's what happened in the AWI at least.

We're talking about a game, and you can't move capital while at war in EU4. I think the capital of a CN being free would represent it's power and independence while showing how powerless it's overlord is.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Star posted:

Switzerlake makes you do horrible things :negative:

It was still one of the most fun games I've had. I guess it's the most difficult achievement for people in this thread because it's impossible to do while maintaining pretty borders.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Node posted:

I've had Spain inherit them once. Isn't that sort of historically accurate? I ain't going to be a wikipedia scholar and pretend I'm smart by looking there.

I got it as Bohemia, but I was emperor. A bit later I finally got the PU over England that I was aiming for all game as well, mega Bohemia is fun. Looks like I'll manage to pass the 3rd reform before the reformation starts.

The inheritance is really easy to trigger, it's kinda nice.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
AIs aren't easy to code and if you fixate them on something like always going for the same wargoal it could deadlock them or open them up to more exploits.
Not actually sure what AI exploits are in the game still, guess I need to watch some youtubes again.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How exactly does This Revolution Was Crushed work, I don't understand what a target of a revolution is.

Also go me, I finished Neither Holy, Nor German by having silly Free cities like Krakow and Theodoro and Trebizond.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Is Admin not as good as I think it is?

I am planning a Muscowy game and I'll pick Admin first, fill until the core discount then focus on tech again. That 25% reduced coring cost/time ist just too good. You can pick up Religious as 4th Idea if you run into problems converting.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

The dirty Russian westernization trick is to get in on a Teutonic Order curbstomp and force release of Danzig, then diplo-vassalize them. Boom free Westernization at your leisure.

Idea picks on a spectrum from hardcore colonizer / conqueror:

Exploration/Influence
Religious/Admin
Quantity/Defensive
Expansion
<your pick military idea>
<maybe Trade but probably another military idea>
<game is pretty much over>

I still disagree on expansion being a good option, expansion is bad because it's an admin idea. Having both Religious and Admin is better than having Expansion and only one of the other two, just use exploration to dump those useless diplo points into your colonization. You don't need the expansion CB with Deus Vult.
Basically expansion would be on par with Religious/Admin/Exploration but it suffers from being in the admin category.

Playstyles vary tough.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So I just found out why Admin, Exploration, Defensive Muscowy is more fun than Religious, Exploration, Defensive. Since I can't convert poo poo fast enough I mostly went for Sweden, Lithuania and the Baltic, so I got tons of AE with Europe, cue coalition war Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Poland-Lithuania, Brandenburg and some other HRE members against me and my best buddies Austria-Hungary. Just let them come to Russian winter hell and enjoy their war exhaustion. Most fun coalition war I've had, can't wait for Admin 12 so I can get religious and own the rest of the Steppe tough.

Not sure if Admin, Defensive, Religious would work and just dumping all those diplo points into culture conversion.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Cynic Jester posted:

Don't skip exploration. Anyone who can colonize relatively uncontested, should. It's the ABC of EU4.

Always be colonizing. Or conquering. Preferably both.

That can wait for the 4th idea or be done with just the NI colonist. All you get are lovely 3 development provinces, with lovely terrain modifiers on top. If you're lucky you get decent trade goods but seriously, Siberia is loving useless. Skipping explo to take Religious earlier helps you convert the actual useful provinces in Persia.

At this point, 120 years into my Russia game I am really not sure exploration was worth it. And yes, developing some of your nice terrain production provinces would probably be a better use of the points too.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I did get 1 gold province so far, but it's a 1 prod province. Meanwhile if I take admin (only first 2)/defensive/religious and keep the diplo set for 4th I can just take me 50+ development worth of provinces in a single war and convert it quicker, which allows me to get useful provinces quicker. The only upsides to Exploration is that it's a diplo ideaset and doesn't cause AE or OE, but you even have to waste admin points to core those lovely 3 development provinces.

In the end it once again comes down to diplo points being poo poo and admin points being super precious, maybe that needs some more rebalance. I mean I filled a diplo idea but I found I had diplo points spare to boost some of the iron provinces to their next building slot.

Disclaimer: In my game I have Austria as ally since the start (we both rivaled Poland), they got the Hungary PU and the Inheritance before 1450ish. With their help (and at times denmarks) I've beaten the poo poo out of Poland-Lithuania and Crimea/Ottomans early on. This allowed me very easy access to mostly 10+ development same culturegroup, Orthodox provinces. So yes I poo poo on those 3 development Siberia provinces that you need to babysit with 4 infantry and cost a ton of gold.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Sharzak posted:

It probably isn't worth it if you have already taken Religious. But influence humanism defensive expansion Russia is drat strong and is probably the best setup there is for keeping your European borders relatively static for 250 years while you fill in the rest of the map by colonizing and vassalizing your way across the rest of the world.

Religious is better than Humanism for Russia because you get an NI with a culture change discount and because you're Orthodox which helps with conversions. So basically if you pick Religious you build on your already existing strenghts.
And you can and will convert cultures because you should have diplo points to spare, with the stacking coring cost discount from NI + Admin ideas it is easier to just core things than relying on vassals too much, not to mention that westernizing will remove the option of India/Asia vassals.

Now the last part depends on your game and your allies, but staying out of Europe for 250 years is bad, if you somehow can you should eat up all the provinces from your own culture group, most of them are around 10 base tax with some even higher ones.

I really don't get how people like expansion so much outside of playing one of the big colonizers (Spain/Portugal/GB) and even there in those builds it suffers from being an admin group.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Average Bear posted:

Remove +core cost ideas

The best part is, there's even a policy for it. I guess it's some MP thing or so, where you activate it to spite someone after losing a war?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It gets really funny with small nations too, Wallachia didn't have anything to spend their points on but development, when I annexed them it would have been 300+ admin for each of their two provinces, that is as Russia with admin ideas. I quickly released them as vassal, gonna diplo annex those fuckers.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
This is still the best:

Guess who'll be coring Africa, Arabia and India for <10 Admin per province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
^^^^^^^Syria is my vassal too, but I guess you're right Constantinople would work best.

Gonna have to see how to do that otherwise, but I was thinking of having a vassal block the way from the Persian gulf to the sea north of Persia (Caspian sea?), also gonna need something later to block asia. But it is fun as hell, I think I spent less than 100 admin coring those rich Iraqi provinces.

• Locked thread