Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It's true that the diplomat and AT changes make idea groups more balanced, though. If we're reverting changes I'd rather tweak coring/annexation costs, since Influence and Administrative seem mandatory now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, taking enemy forts does nothing but disable them and make that province harder to retake. They don't actually work for you.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I just ran into trouble while trying to do the Tabarestan into Persia achievements.

I got a bit cocky adding provinces to Persia without realizing that they'd probably get a bunch of provinces from Timurid rebels as well, and when that happened it pushed them just over 50% liberty desire when I was halfway through annexing them. Sometime after this the Ottomans broke their alliance and rivalled me and I got the Internal Conflicts disaster and I thought I was hosed.

Luckily it worked out cause Placate Rulers is insane (though I had to farm prestige for it by forcing a bunch of countries to revoke their cores). I have no idea why Persia didn't declare on me, I had no real allies and they were somewhere between 50 and 80% Liberty Desire at all times. That was too close.

That was a 47 year annexation :stare:

Elman fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 26, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

So how the heck do I escape Greece as Byzantium. So far I've managed to no-CB war Ragusa, annex them, vasaslize OPM Bosnia and return all their cores, then annex what was left over of Serbia. Naples got released due to a war where Aragon lost a ton of prestige, so I attacked them too. Unfortuantely they got allies last second so I was only able to take one province. Then I got coalitioned by all of Italy and declared on.

I don't know where else I can go. Maybe no-CB Connaught or something insane like that and wait for Ottomans to declare to get a 'free' hilariously huge capital switch? I don't even know if that would work. Urbino being a vassal at the start now sucks because that was one of my favorite provinces to hop into the HRE with as various countries.

Don't leave Greece. Just get alliances with both Austria and Poland and wait for the right time to declare on them.

That's basically what I did as Albania and The Knights, too. The Ottomans are strong but they have terrible allies, get enough big powers on your side and you can just ignore the seas and take over the balkans.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So uh, how exactly do you beat Benin as Kongo? I've tried and it's more frustrating than any OPM start. Are you supposed to restart over and over until they end up in a losing war with no manpower or something?

e: Well at least it worked :downs:

Elman fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 27, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yashichi posted:

Anyway here's what happened to my economy a month after I made this giant client state to get Venetian Sea:

Woah, how long did that take to make? Wish you could use something like the nation designer to build your client states instead of adding provinces one by one.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Does this seem doable at all?

I should be able to get admin efficiency soon enough, but I still have to beat the Ottomans and a bunch of major powers before I even come close to the achievement, and there's only 110 years left. I'm this close to just quitting and considering it a learning experience since there's a lot of stuff I could improve here (like how I didn't wait to get a few vassals before westernizing, which means I have to core everything). It might be worth a shot, though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Caspian needs to be a real sea, though. In my Tabarestan run I had to release a vassal cause I conquered some coastal provinces next to the Caspian but couldn't core them cause they didn't technically have ports.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

VDay posted:

Going to play devil's advocate a bit on this and say that I think it'd be pretty reasonable for you to quit this run. You don't have your armies in the sidebar, but based on your manpower and money I don't know if you have the resources to be as ridiculously aggressive as you'll need to to get the achievement on time. It's not even about having to fight the bigger powers, that might actually be the easy part if you can make some strong alliances (which it seems like you have). The hardest part is going to be taking all of Mali and Ethiopia's lands. There are a ton of provinces there and even though most of them are trash it's still probably going to take 3-4 wars each to grab them all up. Since you're going for max conquest every time it also means that you're going to have to eat 14-15 year truces, which means of your remaining 110 years about half are going to be spent just sitting and waiting for truces to expire, because as I'm sure you've learned by now rebellions in a country that huge and spread out are a gigantic pain in the rear end so taking a truce-breaking stab hit isn't an option. Then there's the time to fabricate claims, core your lands, convert them so everyone doesn't rebel every 10 seconds, etc, and suddenly your timeframe to actually expand looks very limited.

On the other hand if you're having fun you might as well try to finish and see just how close you got, and use that as a learning exercise like you said. Just keep in mind that you're literally going to have to be fighting 100% of the time to have a chance, which might get a bit tedious after 30-40 years.

I tried to attack the Ottomans but got greedy (I figured I needed to!) and used the imperialism CB instead of just a claim. No way the Ottomans with low manpower can stop France+Commonwealth+Portugal from taking Constantinople, right?

10 years later I had no manpower and I was forced to white peace despite winning the war, and that was that :saddowns:

But yeah, it was a good run anyway. I'd never tried a hard achievement as a lovely tech group country before, so this helped me realized a bunch of stuff I was doing wrong.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Arzakon posted:

I think you are probably too far behind. I think I've finally hit a good stride in a Kongo game westernizing in 1543 and I have most of the same west african lands you do minus part of Mossi/Songhai's area. I think getting Westernized is the big thing and focused on not taking any land I didn't have to. Other than integrating a small Benin and taking the minors to the south of Mali/Mossi I made sure to take nothing and be super conservative with ADM/DIP. Hitting Admin 5, getting the +Settler Exploration idea, snagging the Cape, and then hitting Dip 7 were priority.

Yeah that sounds about right. I conquered a lot of stuff because I figured I'd need lots of money to colonize, and because I was conquering I set my focus to military. I didn't westernize till 1650 and by that point it was too late to snowball hard enough.

Arzakon posted:

Question about Reforming/Westernizing as Kongo... I saw the "Reform your Government" greyed out decision occasionally while playing and figured I might have to do that before Westernizing. But right before my colony completed a 3/5/3 Pretender popped up which got rid of my poo poo heir... and flipped me to Despotic Monarchy. Did I just hit the jackpot of not having to complete Administrative and lost 5 stability or would have I been able to westernize regardless?

I think you become a monarchy when you westernize regardless, but I'm not 100% sure. I didn't have to reform the government either, at any rate.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Not mine, but:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I played another Kongo game all the way to 1530 before realizing it was weird that the Europeans still hadn't reached western Africa :haw:

You'd think I would have noticed when I started colonizing. Time to start over I suppose.

Elman fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 1, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Just vassalized Dagbon and Benin in 5 years, looks like I'm doing oka--

:stare:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ran into another bug:

These 3 guys retreated all the way to Kongo and got stranded there. I guess that made that country's AI bug out somehow cause the other half of that vassal's army seems to be AFK ever since. Reloading didn't fix it.

Also you can't take losses from natives, ever. You can walk a single unit from Kongo to Benin at 0 maintenance in 1444, and you'll take no loses.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Thanks for the advice for Kongo, I'm trying it again and it's going much better:

There's still a lot to do but I think I'm on the right track. Hopefully I won't hit a wall in northern Africa and end up 20 provinces short from finishing :ohdear:

Elman fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 5, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

can you link to that advice? I have no idea how to kongo.

Eh, it's over a bunch of pages in response to my last attempt and that other guy who did it before :shobon:

But to sum it up, you no CB someone (it doesn't have to be Benin, you can't core anything anyway), vasalize them and take it slow. My first run I tried to expand a lot and put way too many resources into it when really what you want to do is set your focus to Admin and rush for Exploration ideas so you can start taking the gold coast. Try to only conquer by diplo vassalizing until you've westernized (maybe core a province here and there to fabricate claims). Make sure to release vassals in western Africa before you westernize, there's a lot of stuff to core there.

Also convert to Protestantism, the bonuses you get are amazing and you're not gonna get any papal influence anyway.

If you can manage to westernize by ~1550 and grab the Cape before the Europeans get there, you should be golden.

Just finished it:

Elman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 5, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I can't remember the last time I saw the Revolution happen in a game. I might occasionally see some rebels pop up but the ai never goes through with it.

Though to be fair I finish my games before the 1700s a lot of times.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm watching one of Arumba's campaigns and he keeps consolidating weakened troops before sending them into fights cause apparently that makes them stronger. How does that work?

Elman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 7, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

TTBF posted:

I've got an Ottoman game going on. Got really lucky and it's 1500 and I've got all of the Balkans under my control, no coalitions, and a crescent Syria march on its way to cut off Africa and Asia from me. Unfortunately Castille and France just fought a PU war over Hungary and France won. I can't expand further into Europe and hitting up Viena for the free westernization seems unlikely with its French ally having Hungary. Is there any way to help induce the break up of this PU?

You can easily break a PU if you crush them in a war or two to give them negative prestige. Just use Humilliate, take a few provinces and do it again after the truce before they can recover too much. I had to do it when Commonwealth got a PU over France in my Ottoman game.

If that's not an option I think you can only wait and hope it'll break on its own.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Just saw war leader Hungary give France a ton of Burgundian provinces in a war against Austria, causing a massive coalition war. I'm surprised the AI can just dump +80AE on someone like that, it'd really suck if they did it to you.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So uh, I just finished annexing a vassal while Austria was occupying one of their provinces and that province got annexed into Austria :stare:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

I didn't realize mercs don't upgrade automatically, but it makes sense. This explains why my merc stacks that I keep out in the colonies have been underperforming.

How long have I been doing this :negative:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Tsyni posted:

I managed to start a Najd game before the last patch to the beta patch and stuff had so much development it was impossible. Several provinces in Persia had +40 development. Might be a bit easier now, but still tough. India seems like it gets pretty developed too.

Can you disable Common Sense just to get rid of extra development in provinces? It's hard enough to conquer all that stuff without individual provinces' coring cost getting massively increased by the AI.

It'd be sad if it came to that though. I really like the changes and the game's better than it's ever been, but achievements like that really suffer from it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I don't usually care about achievements but I'm all about them in this game, probably cause every run takes so long that it wouldn't feel right without having a list I can point at and say "here's what I did".

It's really dumb but most achievements are well thought out and help you find interesting new ways to approach the game, so there's that.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Also, not to say this game is making me think Hitler was on to something...but my attempt to make a Grand Bohemia has made me think France is evil, Great Britian is a bitch, all I need is Danzig and a little space...and I guess killing Jews is ok. Weird how a game can teach you so much.

Hitler just wanted pretty borders, went a little too far to get them and got coalitioned. We've all been there.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wuet88 posted:

I'm going to do Better than Napoleon now but anything else I should try for?

A world conquest? Seems like you're in a good position to go for it :v:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Has anyone ever seen Denmark suceed? They're such a mess in all of my games, when they don't get conquered by Sweden it's the Hansa, if not they get eaten by Holstein somehow.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wuet88 posted:

I'll try, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I also let Portugal, Spain and England colonize.

Vassalize those 3, also vassalize a bunch of electors to become Emperor and revoke the Privilegia.

Not like I've ever done it but I think that's the way to do it :v:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I feel like regency countries need to either give you a big monarch point boost, or let you spend a bunch of resources to declare a war (kinda like the parliament system). As it is, they're just boring and there's no upside.

Elman fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 18, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

War advice please

It's a defensive war, can you make any new allies who'll be willing to join? Maybe someone who hates the Ottomans?

Other than that you should try to defeat Pasai by playing defensively and abusing terrain (mountains or river crossings). Avoid the Ottomans like the plague, scorch earth your forts and just let them siege them while taking attrition, while you focus on throwing everything you have at Pasai. If you can beat them or at least hold them off long enough to get a bit of a ticking warscore you might be able to white peace or at least give up without losing too much stuff.

Losing some provinces isn't that big a deal though, you keep your cores and you should be able to reconquer them later.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Node posted:

I didn't need Poland to rival the Ottomans in my Basileus game. All I had to do was take a shitton of loans, build lots of galleys, and hope the Ottomans waste their time with Anatolian minors. While their troops are across the strait, blockade it, declare war, get everything in Greece back. Then you're big enough to get some decent allies.

Does this actually work now? I know it used to but a few patches ago I made another attempt and my fleet just got demolished every time. Not sure how you can do it now without Poland and an advisor.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dibujante posted:

This is going to be free because Wiz wasn't entirely satisfied with the original RNW offering. Anward/Sanders 2016 is the ticket we need, clearly.

I think you still need Conquest of Paradise, though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Sorced posted:

As one of those guys with 100% achievement completion, I really like the new ones.

Not sure that's a good thing!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm aiming for the "start as a <50 custom nation and get 2000+ development" achievement, I take it colonial nations don't count at all? But trade companies probably do, right?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Uhh, my current save says achievements are disabled because "this savegame belongs to another user or is edited".

After some googling it looks like it's the hotfix's fault. That's a shame, I had a really good run going with a custom nation :negative:

Elman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 5, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I really like these new custom nation achievements, I just finished From Humble Origins.

Since the Reconquista started in Asturias we have a saying here that goes "Asturias is Spain, the rest is conquered land". I figured I'd give it a shot :haw:

Also featuring Revolutionary Japanese France (this was weird, they still had 3 provinces in Europe)

Super Kilwa

And the African Balkans:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Eej posted:

I'm pretty sure it's actually better to use the new Grant Province feature when feeding underlings because of the liberty desire reduction.

Do they not get liberty desire reduction when you just give them that land in a peace deal? Huh.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

VDay posted:

Yeah constantly picking on European colonizers is a great way to swallow up a bunch of new world lands quickly. If I'm paying in Europe I pretty much always keep at least one colonizer down-but-not-out and then just pick on them every 10-15 years and steal their colonies/CNs.

I'm not sure this works so well now that CNs tend to sit at 60%+ liberty desire with the new espionage ideas. Last game I was France's ally for centuries and they were huge with tons of CNs, yet the moment I beat France in a war, they all broke free :v:

But independent CNs are even easier to conquer, of course.

Elman fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 10, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Today I ragequit a campaign cause I forgot vassals get +50 liberty desire after they reach 300 development. Suddenly I got crushed by a massive Ottomans + Russia + half of India independence war and I lost a century's worth of conquests in one go.

I should have fed them their provinces through the interaction menu to lower their LD but I never thought that'd be an issue :negative:

But hey, it was an Ideas Man run and that's a fun achievement, this is just an excuse to play more of it :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Average Bear posted:

Sell your 2 trade ships to theodoro.

Wait what? How?

• Locked thread