Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Repostin' here :How's peoples performance? Mine has definitely gone down significantly but I've seen reports on the Paradox forums that it's much better than before, so I'm not sure what's going on. Also I'm having some weird zoom issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Spiderfist Island posted:

Yeah, I'm also having these trackpad issues as well, and to top it off the built-in keyboard shortcuts don't even work anymore. Plugging in a mouse makes zooming take forever now, and the game seems to be burning up my computer considerably more than it did previously.

These are basically my issues, hope its all sortable.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hotfix seems to have given me the "crash from Steam interface" bug.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So what's the strategy for a TO start? It's 1459 and I'm boxed in between allied Pommerania, Brandenburg, and Poland-Lithuania.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The last three reformations I've played through have been wet farts, is this just my bad luck or a change since CE dropped? In each game the centers spawned in Scandinavia and England and barely brushed the continent. Reformed still seems to be working as usual, however.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anyone else had Bohemia beating Austria every game since CE dropped? I've played four starts to around 1550-1600 and in each one the Czechs have swiftly (like, in the 1450s or 60s) gained the empire and started wailing on the poor innocent Habsburgs. Seems like those couple of extra provinces really supercharged them.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Do the livonians have a decision to turn into kourland (or courland or whatever)? I wasn't paying attention and that seems like the only possibility. They have some interesting ideas, wasn't really expecting colonial range on a nation in the Baltic.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I believe Muscovy's provinces got some pretty significant development buffs in the last beta patch. I'm not really sure how you make them any stronger without just directly nerfing Lithuania (which is really frightening these days) and the hordes. Maybe their missions could give them cores instead of claims? I know devs are philosophically disinclined to do that, however. It remains excruciating to watch Russia snake jump the Urals over Kazan and start bridging east tho.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

In reference to last page, i feel like the best fix for mughals would just be a dutch revolt style DHE that checks for a declined Timurids and spawns a stack with Babur in Delhi. In reality he was practically a ck2 style adventurer anyway.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I don't mind burgundian inheritance because it fires rarely enough that it's an actual interesting twist when it does. The Dutch revolts, similarly, I havent noticed occurring at all since CS dropped. If all these myriad historical surprises could arise through basic game mechanics that would be beautifully elegant, but I don't think the utility of DHEs as ways of keeping the game interesting during the flow of endless player expansion should be discounted. It's what makes the Reformation mechanics great, and why I think a similar macro-mechanic for national revolutions in the late game would be a great addition.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'd be all about achievements but monthly autosaves is rough on my dinky laptop.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is there supposed to be an event for Florence that gives them medici rulers? I had the first godlike guy but after that nada

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fintilgin posted:

This is by far my biggest issue with EUIV.

I don't know what the solution is, but I feel like I'd like a way to have wars start 'limited' and allow either side to 'step them up' (a big like escalating V2 crises) depending various factors and with various costs and benefits.

You could do something like declare at the choose CB screen the tier of war you are planning to wage, like a "10% warscore war to take back Picardie" or "100% warscore war to take back Picardie", with the percent war score determining how many (if any) allies can be brought in. You could break your promise and go higher in the eventual victory, raising your AE like nuts, or alternatively go lower and lose power projection/monarch point production or something for having humiliated yourself. Obviously there are a lot of issues that would need to be worked out, but some sort of system that allows neighboring powers to fight small wars without dragging in all their alliances would be nice.

Anyway this is probably a dumb idea but it's the first thing that leapt to mind.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wiz posted:

I tweeted a WIP picture of the reworked Random New World for anyone interested. Trade nodes are now dynamically generated along with the world instead of re-using the old new world connections. The trade node names are silly because they're placeholders from a random place name generator.

Very cool, it's rad that you guys are taking time out of other development to work on this.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hordes are cool but I'm really salivating over what Estates alludes to. More internal mechanics in the vein of the Estates General?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Genoa sniped Constantinople in the first two years of the game. It's been occupied by Byz separatists for 30+ years and I'm guessing Ottomans are never going to get around to grabbing it now.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

In my last game Golden Horde killed and ate Muscovy, Kazan, Novgorod, and the eastern parts of Lit before settling down and westernizing. Then they started eating into Siberia through Mega-Oirat. I was pretty impressed.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wiz posted:

Dev diary about Estates is up.

Looks dope. Increases my hopes that a tentpole feature for the new DLC will be a liberal revolution DHE in the lategame.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This is going to be a very good patch, and we don't even have details on the DLC yet.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Koramei posted:

Yeah pre-AoW it was a 25% discipline malus, their armies just completely malus. That got knocked down to 10% for a while, and now in Common Sense it's nearly completely gone.

Also they're incredibly wealthy since Art of War (though still not even remotely as wealthy as they ought to be :argh:) so they just put down forts in practically every single province, which they incidentally get special defensive bonuses for from decisions and ideas. As a non-European team they're incredibly hard to beat.

I kind of like it though, they're like an endboss.

They also have a pretty strong chance to explode, so I feel like it's balanced enough. I wouldn't mind a mod that just starts with fractured China for a change, though.
What exactly are the mechanics behind losing the Mandate anyway, I've never paid enough attention to see it actually in progress.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I feel kind of bad that nomadic eurasians get such a bad rap (lol "hordes") but at least they have the Syncretic thing I guess.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jazerus posted:

That was just in CK 1, wasn't it? Man, it was expensive to cross water but so much more convenient than the transports in EU and CK2.

I honestly think that a sea expansion for CK2 would be pretty cool and actually make merchant republics interesting, but I can understand why that might be heresy to some people.

Is there any difference in pips between explorers and generals, or are the former an objectively better pick?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

How do I Austria? I've never tried to play as Emperor before it looks like I'm going to lose the HRE on my first ruler. I have no idea why.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PittTheElder posted:

That policy is a hell of a lot worse for a non-Western nation though, because you need those military points that much more.

Well that's because there aren't really 12 phases. What that is is a Length of Siege modifier. How sieges work is that as long as you have the minimum number of men to maintain a siege, the siege progress counter tricks up. Once this is filled (an average of 28 days or something, loads of modifiers) a Siege Tick takes place. Dice are rolled, and according to how well you rolled, modified by the other numbers in the siege window (+leader siege, -for no blockade, etc), an effect happens. This can be status quo, water shortage, defenders desert, disease outbreak, walls breached, garrison surrender, and likely a few more. Most of those events increase the Siege Progress counter, typically by +1 or +2. Siege Progress then applies as a modifier to future siege rolls. It counts up to 12 for level 2-3 forts, and 14 for more advanced forts.

You can see the likelyhood of each event if you mouse over the dice icon in the siege view. The odds of the garrison surrendering on the next tick is the percentage that's shown beside the attacking army on the map. Particularly if you have a leader with an excellent siege score, up against a low level fort, sieges can end in way less than 12 ticks. I've seen it happen in 1 before, for a properly garrisoned fort even.

Upon conclusion of the league war in favor of the protestants, all the Catholic electors are removed, and a new election takes place. The remaining protestant electors have a free vote, and whoever they like best will win. Leading the league war has no impact, although it probably should.

Yeah, the Protestant war leader should definitely have some boost for the AI elector logic. The (remote) prospect of becoming Emperor is one of the reasons that Gustavus bothered showing up, for instance.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

WilliamAnderson posted:

How would you balance it though? The tech system isn't currently designed for it. I mean, do you just start the entire world at tech 1?

There's a fairly polished looking 1356 mod on the workshop that claims to change the first few tech levels so that things aren't insane, I'm gonna give it a shot.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm just trying to decide which horde to play as. Do any of them have unique ideas? If not I'll probably just rock Oirat and do the Ottoman thing, alternating east and west expansion.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Funky Valentine posted:

Hordes with unique ideas:

The Jurchens (Yeren, Haixi, and the canon winner Jianzhou) all have the very good Manchu ideas
Kazan
TImurids (go Zoroastrian for proper experience)

The rest have the steppe nomad ideas, which are great if lacking in diversity. Though have we gotten any word on new idea sets?

I completely forgot about the Manchu tribes. I haven't done a Qing run before, seems like now's the time.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fister Roboto posted:

There ought to be some sort of achievement for pillaging Rome or Constantinople down to a 1/1/1 shithole.

Well there's one for burning down a province with over 30 development.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PittTheElder posted:

Timmy should be a huge pain in the rear end to play though. Even now they basically never disintegrate.

I feel like I see Persia and Afghanistan form most games.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There are also new advisor packs, right? Any news of more music?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sistergodiva posted:

How are you able to see the RNW? It's just fog of war for me on the nation selection screen.

In options you can select no Terra Incognita in lobby.

The coolness of this procedural generation gives me a lot of hope for Stellaris, even if there is no actual sharing of tech involved.

Also, does anyone know what DLC gives out the new advisors? Cossacks content pack doesn't seem to do it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I don't know how I feel about them quite yet. They didn't seem like a major problem in the first 20 years or so of a test game, but they also didn't seem to give out huge bonuses worth earning. The exception being my Muscovite Boyars and their 15% manpower recovery (which I imagine exists for all Eastern techers in some form?), that's boss as hell.

I think that's just "Nobles" in general.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

GreyPowerVan posted:

I am playing Catholic Mamluks so The Ottomans one-upped me and allied Austria. What the gently caress?

In my Brandenburg game Poland has allied Qara Qoyonlu and gone to war with Haasa.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tercio posted:

Uh, neat.

Like the ideas behind this expansion but they've clearly slipped back into some old release habits. AI seems to go dippy during wartime. Also a little unclear how to resolve estate influence issues when they start to become a problem. Remove territory from them seems to crater their loyalty for very little return in an influence drop.

All the big dlcs have had bugs after their release. It's not ideal but it's a little far to say that these are on par with Ye Olde Paradoxe.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Performance on my laptop seems to have been hit pretty hard, anybody else having issues?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I haven't had a chance to put in much time yet, but one thing I've noticed with Cossacks is that AI blobbiness seems back to around pre-Art of War levels. To a degree it seems mitigated by the new fluidity of diplomacy, as I've seen a number of small tier powers grow enormously in one or two wars and then get beaten down by their neighbors. I'm less thrilled about stuff like Hungary grabbing a bunch of Italian provinces across from Dalmatia, or Muscovy back to being unable to cope with Novgorod though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Quitting out and restarting the game every time you change menus is so goddamn annoying.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I mean yeah, duh. I'd cycle through a bunch of RNWs to find a really neat one.

If I were you I'd add a great deal of custom nations as well, since I don't think any of the RNW tiles have that many interesting powers for you to contest, even with the High American empires.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

goodness posted:

I am trying to get my brother and friend to put Civ away and get into this game with me. Can anyone think of a group of three powers that could work well together/help learn, presumably they would be in the same geographic area but maybe not!

Sweden Norway Denmark? Pol Lit Bohemia? Savoy Burgundy Provence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I want someone to update Azeri mod and the one where Europe is wiped out by plague, please get on it ty.

• Locked thread