Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

There are OS X trackpad issues since the most recent patch, you can workaround them by using a mouse, but don't expect to play without one until they get fixed.

Yeah, I'm also having these trackpad issues as well, and to top it off the built-in keyboard shortcuts don't even work anymore. Plugging in a mouse makes zooming take forever now, and the game seems to be burning up my computer considerably more than it did previously.

Also, everyone is a King or Empire level title, for whatever reason. There are no Ducal countries in my game files at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Why is Ambrosian Republic good? Just wondering for my Milan game

Three year electoral terms, +10% Tax, +5% Morale, and -0.05 Autonomy make you into an extremely flexible nation that can excel at both conquest and development.

Fake edit: and yeah, Captain-General is a kickass title.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

I really hate increased coring cost as a mechanic. I always think "maybe a northern Africa game could be fun" and then I look at my lovely rulers, my high tech costs, and the absurd cost to core just a few provinces and restart in a different area.

Now that Common Sense rebalanced coring costs to be higher than before, changed warfare to be more symmetrical between big and little powers, and made internal growth a viable thing, they should really just get rid of increased coring cost from the idea groups. It doesn't help out players if you have it and it's an absolute pain to deal with. Back when the AI Iberians would rush into north Africa it made sense as a cushioning mechanic, but now it's redundant at best and punishes players at worst.

RabidWeasel posted:

Hell if we have to make it obnoxious for some reason make it "increased Separatism" or "permanent +5 years of Separatism that stacks with the regular kind". Just leave my monarch points alone :(

"Rebel support efficiency" could be a good replacement idea (only the Palatinate has it iirc), but then we have to deal with the problem that Espionage as a whole isn't very good in the game right now.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
The hotfix looks to have made the game playable again for Macs, so that's good. Is anyone else having an issue where mostly every country is a Kingdom-ranked title? The only ones that aren't are the Free Cities, the Knights, and the Byzantines/Ming empires. I'm going to try and fix this by erasing the Country History files and then restoring the missing game files via Steam, but I just wanted to make sure that this was a problem other people were having as well.

EDIT: Didn't realize that Dynamic Gov Ranks are DLC only, disregard.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 12, 2015

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Poil posted:

I'd like to try my hand at a Chinese nation, exploded Ming thunderdome style. Should I start a game as Ming and cause it to fall apart as quickly as possible or is there a better way?

Trade might be a good idea, to funnel money towards your collection node with a ton of merchants.

I made a mod for that, with two separate scenarios depending on how exploded you want China to be. It's not Ironman compatible and does change a couple of mechanics for the Ming (the Ming collapse is now a Disaster for example), so it might not be what you wanted. Most of the released tags also have a unique government type (Chinese State, -5 years nationalism and -0.05 autonomy with a faction system). It's also still a work in progress, so some things in the scenario and mechanics are in flux.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Vorpal Cat posted:

Man that's the shittiest Hungary, I mean AI Hungary usually gets its rear end kicked but not that bad.

The battle of Mohács killed the dual ruler of Bohemia and Hungary, which allowed the Habsburgs to yoink both crowns in the aftermath after agreeing to give the Transylvanian nobles independence and recognizing Ottoman conquests in return. (So, suing for peace after you get a double union and are auto-dragged into a war)

Of course, this never happens in EUIV because Bohemia and Hungary rival each other 9/10 times despite having a special royal marriage mission.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

What am I supposed to do when I'm up against an enemy country that has some crazy god-general? I started a game as Poland and got a (0/0/1/0) piece of poo poo out of my first general, while Hungary got a (4/4/4/1) monstrosity.

Hungary starts with Janos/John Hunyadi, who is usually the regent of Hungary as well as a general, and is such hot poo poo that he's mentioned in the 1444 start blurb. My advice is to play very defensively and to always outnumber whatever stack he leads, since the starting Eastern infantry units are kind of garbage.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Am I able to release a nation and then continue playing as them and have it continue as an ironman game(having started it as an iron man game, of course)?

I am just wondering if it's possible to do something like vassalize Byzantine, feed them all the provinces they need for the rome achievement, annex them, and then release them and continue playing as them.

I believe that they made playing as released vassals possible in the Art of War update, yes. I think you'll stay a vassal of the original country though.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

How hard is it to form the Netherlands without using a custom nation? Seems like you're guaranteed to be surrounded by huge great powers unless you get lucky with the Burgundian Inheritance.

There's two ways to do it: play as Burgundy and inherit/conquer the last few provinces you need, or play as one of the dutch / flemish minors. I was able to do it as Utrecht back before AoW came out and I'm not a super genius at this game, so it's not too difficult. Besides, as the dutch you should be focused on colonial expansion and building tall.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Are there any good historical balance mods for EU4? Because holy poo poo could it ever use one.

To jump on the bandwagon, I've also got two mods that have a couple of elements which could help balance some aspects of the game (Emperor chewing through minors, and the Ming's stability issue and lack of any succeeding dynasty if they fall), but neither of them are updated for 1.13 yet. If anyone wants to use any elements from these mods, feel free to do so (just stick in a credit where it seems appropriate, I guess)

I don't know if there's much else in them that would be useful from a "historical accuracy" standpoint, seeing that my Chinese mod allows for a high-technology Chinese region to occur under certain situations. The first mod does include the counts of Celje as an independent nation in the 1444 start and lots of unique paganism types if you want maximum sperg.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Maybe if you inherit a different country, but as scotland I formed GB and my 2 CNs were still yellow and stayed yellow. this is on ironman

I also didn't see a CN color change in my last colonial game. When I did a Burgundy -> Netherlands my light-burgundy colored colony in the Caribbean stayed that color when I turned orange.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Considering nothing gets proper idea groups when converting I doubt it.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Karlings, Roman Empire and Sunset Invasion guys?

The Templars and Hashashins also get unique idea groups also, iirc.

The issue with Arabian Ideas not showing up for CK2-imported tags is that they're triggered by being part of a preset list of tags, rather than by culture group like a lot of other multi-tag idea groups. If a new tag is added with a primary culture in the Arabic culture group, they won't get Arabian ideas.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Arzakon posted:

Wiz please add a Jewish religion requirement to First Come, First Serve so its like roleplaying one of the lost tribes the Mormon's believe in.

Link for the non-Americans who don't know about Mormons.

There's at least the possibility of finding one of the Lost Tribes if you make a fantastical random new world, fwiw.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Tendronai posted:

Dev Diary for the Condottieri: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-17th-march-2016.914124/

Rented armies are still under the control of the original owner; we finally have something to do during our fifteen year regencies.

It's neat that the all the "Available Mercs" idea bonuses will be more useful. I wonder if the AI will use Offer Condottieri on their own.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
OK, so can anyone tell me what exactly changed about localization files since 1.16? I'm trying to update my mods but even though I changed all the ": " string endings to ":0 ", absolutely none of them still worked. I've tried just about everything to troubleshoot this (making sure they're all .yml, making sure the space indentations are all properly placed, making sure all quotation marks are in the right places, even copying the current EUIV loc files and writing over them). I'm going loving crazy over here and I can't find when or how these files changed anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Oh cool, they're adding the peasant republic of Dithmarschen into the game. It'll be neat to hear about what their whole thing is.

• Locked thread