Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Did something about the last patch change the way trade works, or the way privateering works? Before the last patch I was having a go at playing as Tunis, despite their cool privateer-oriented ideas I found the only real use for them was to send them against my rivals to get enough power projection for an extra military leader at a marginal cost (they didn't make quite as much money as they were costing me, but it was close). I'm trying again now, with more or less the same strategy, and actually getting fairly decent profits from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Node posted:

Holy poo poo, it's happening. My heart is racing.

I need to take some blood pressure medicine.

e:

After forming, your capital moves back to Iberia, and EVERYTHING in the New World becomes a colony. I'm losing 600 ducats a month. My naval force limits stayed the same, my land force limits went from 220 to 80. France, and their allies Austria and a complete Italy (first time I've ever seen that) will Re-Re-Reconquista me back once the truce is over. Half of the new colonial nations are pretty pissed and want independence. But I loving did it. God is Great.

:spain:

I wish I was smarter. what am I looking at? you started as grenada, colonised/conquered most of north america as well as iberia, and then formed andalusia? I don't get it, what's the big deal? I mean it's really cool that you started as such a small, marginalised state and conquered so much, but it sounds like there's something more to it that I'm missing.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
oh, okay. that's cool. I've never tried but I always thought the best way to do it would have been to ally with morocco and start taking over tunis, then ally with ottomans and start taking over the tyrrhenean, then finally start attacking iberia.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

during one of my recent france games I inherited (didn't just get a personal union with, inherited) austria before 1500.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
fook-a you, koreeeeeaaaaa :black101: :japan:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
you're loving next, manchu

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
welp I've vassalised Korea, and I've beaten up Manchu and forced her to give Korea all of her cores back

now I'm colonising the Philippines and building up my infrastructure (temples, workshops, and +FL buildings mostly) while I wait for the mission to drop that gives me a claim on all of Manchu's provinces.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
hum... the mission requires that I not own any provinces in manchuria. do you think it might disqualify me if my vassal owns them? because I've been waiting like twenty years and the mission hasn't dropped.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
england and portugal are intruding in my pond. fortunately I've caught up to them in tech despite never westernising. :japan:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I've reached roughly the peak of the borders of the historical Japanese Empire; I've conquered the Ainu and Kamchat tribes to the north, as well as most of Manchuria (there's a peak Mongol-sized horde whose eastern border snakes into Manchuria a little bit. I've curbstomped them before and I'm quite sure I can do so again, but I think I'll be building up on what I've got before I do any other major expansion). I've colonised almost the entirety of the PI, all of Taiwan, and conquered or vassalised most of Indonesia; Malacca had eaten a few of her neighbours so I beat her up and freed them and made them my vassals. I've got a few provinces in Borneo but most of it is British colonies. I'll deal with them eventually, I guess.

revere the emperor :japan:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
lmao that gigantic horde blob on the manchurian border tried to westernise, and they almost totally succumbed to a combination of reactionary rebels, noble rebels, and various regional powers declaring war to poach border provinces. I sent a couple of divisions of my army over the border and swept through with virtually no resistance (nearly every province in the eastern 3/4 of their territory was occupied by rebels) and racked up 66% warscore before finally reaching and sieging their capital which I think was somewhere in what is now afghanistan. it was a long walk.

I took all their provinces in Manchuria and forced them to give a whole bunch of others to one of my vassals, made them release a giant horde buffer state and give me a bunch of money. doing this caused me to eclipse them, giving me +10 power projection on top of the +44 I got for the victory. :owned:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

That was the intent.

they do nothing to prevent you from expanding, they just make the AI harder to game into helping you

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Just took most of Greece and Thrace, along with the provinces surrounding Constantinople, from the Ottomans as Byzantium, around 1460 :toot:

I've got a strong alliance now with Poland-Lithuania, Serbia, and Bosnia. Three of the provinces I took weren't cores yet, so once that's done I'll see about filling up my manpower reserves, then see if I can get my alliance to help me fight another war with the Ottomans. If not then I'll wait for Venice to show weakness and then try to seize their island holdings in the Aegean.

I'm thinking that before I get big enough for Poland/Lithuania/the Commonwealth to start worrying about me, I'll try to vassalise Bosnia and Serbia, they may make for a good march, especially if I can feed them some of Hungary. Then when Poland-Lithuania breaks their alliance with me I'll try to see about allying Muscovy/Russia.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

Just annex Serbia and Bosnia before the get big. Wallachia should be your vassal following the war with the ottomans. Serbia has a goldmine in Kosovo you'll want

tbh I can't imagine a scenario where either of them gets really big. does that happen often? I've never seen it.

Anyway what I was thinking is that I should keep them as allies while prioritising removing kebab, and then once I've become a proper major power I turn on them and take some key provinces before force-vassalising them. Wallachia would be a good choice too, though. Why not all three? I'd still have a slot open for allying Russia and I doubt I'll have any other prospects for good allies once Poland-Lithuania turns on me.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Sperglord Firecock posted:

What did you do?

How did you do this?

I started off by hiring a +dip reputation advisor and setting my relations with the ottomans to "threatened" (this gives you a big modifier for willingness to ally with their rivals and anyone else who hates them), once I did that I was able to get alliances with Poland, Serbia, and Bosnia all with just a few months of increasing relations, which I was able to do concurrently since Byzantium starts with 3 diplomats. Then I insulted the Ottomans to get them to attack me shortly after they depleted most of their manpower in some other war, and before doing that I moved my troops to Moldova to keep them from getting obliterated immediately.

Bort Bortles posted:

Dont vassalize Wallachia - they have the core-cost penalty which also makes annexing them as a vassal more expensive. Conquer their surprisingly rich lands and dont let them spread.

That will apply to conquering them, too, won't it? If I have to make a choice between spending diplomatic power to integrate them and administrative power to conquer them, isn't it better to do the former?

e: as it turns out, Wallachia is gone. Annexed by Hungary.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 16, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

YF-23 posted:

I'm very much certain that it's cheaper in points to diploannex provincial development than to make it yourself anyway.

Even if it costs more points overall, it's the better option because aside from advancing diplomatic technology and potentially westernising, annexation is easily the most valuable use of diplomatic points, while there are far better things to spend military and administrative points on than development. Just IMO.

Right now I'm fighting tooth and nail to keep Hungary and Venice from swallowing Bosnia. I already let Hungary get to poor Serbia while I was too weak to do anything about it. I've got 62% war score over Hungary, with several of their fortresses occupied, but stupid loving Bosnia won't sue for peace. Meanwhile Venice has just hired a bunch of mercenaries and now has more troops in the Balkans than I could muster without breaking my bank.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Sheep posted:

This didn't work in my run solely because of the distances involved. It was a stretch to be able to hit positive modifiers with Naples and Spain (inherited Aragon) while holding the upper Nile, much less something as far as out as Poland. Hungary though is just barely doable, though in my game they never expanded past their starting borders.

I might have gotten unlucky with the rivaling situation as well. Either way Ottomans and France were allied for 200 years so that particular game was a special kind of painful.

...I think if at any point you're in control of the upper Nile you've either already soundly defeated the Ottomans or you have your priorities seriously out of order.

E: gently caress yeah. Bosnia just made Hungary bow out and leave several of its provinces behind, as well as release Transylvania. Still not sure how I'll beat Venice, though.

E2: HA. HAHAHAHA. Venice just attacked my 20-stack with its 28-stack over a river, up a mountain, against my general with 4 shock pips. Now to chase the fuckers down.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 16, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Sheep posted:

Upper Nile is the southern part; Lower Nile is the part near the Alexandrian coast. Ottomans never really go for the Upper Nile whereas they get a mission to take the Lower Nile.

Riiight. I think maybe you're leaving something out that would make this make more sense to me. The way I see it, if you have conquered the Upper Nile you have either:

A) Already secured the Anatolia at least, if not also the Levant, and therefore the Ottomans have been more or less defeated utterly.

or

B) You have beelined straight across the Mediterranean to Egypt, leaving yourself incredibly vulnerable to division and encirclement, not to mention you have ignored your best opportunities for building a more secure base of power.

This is why I said if you at any point are in control of the Upper Nile, you either have already defeated the Ottomans (A) or you have your priorities seriously out of order (B).

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Welll Bosnia just accepted a peace deal with Venice, giving them two of my provinces. I immediately broke off my alliance with them and sent them an insult. I'm going to feed them to my pet Albania now, gently caress them.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

strategery posted:

Thank you. Another idiot question: And don't kill me as I am no history buff either. Papal states is an icon on the ui or an actual country/property on the map?

Actual country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_States

You can play as them, too, and they have a bunch of unique events/decisions. I should really do that sometime.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
In my current game Genoa has completely relocated to the steppes. Early on they conquered a lot of Crimea, but repeated nationalist insurgencies kept causing them to lose big chunks of their territory there, even as they continued to expand deeper into Asia. Meanwhile they repeatedly lost territory in Europe to Savoy and Milan. Now they've lost all of their original territory and are a completely landlocked, yet sizeable Italian colony located deep in the steppes.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

lol

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

same

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Pimpmust posted:

Are there any alternative Germany chains that's not the HRE kaiser-haver reform path in the game? Would be nice to have some options/variety like the Confederation of the Rhine, North/South German Federations, German Confederation and maybe something Hansa related. Some of those are obviously a little out of time frame but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Saw some outdated NGF mod in the workshop but not much else... Maybe I'll just put together something.

Er, I'm confused. Passing all the reforms as Emperor causes the HRE states to combine into a single sovereign nation simply called the Holy Roman Empire.

In order to become Germany, you just need to conquer a certain set of land in the German region. For maximum historicity I guess you'd start as Brandenburg, form Prussia, and then diplo-annex tiny German states.

If you're asking if there's some kind of scripted chain of events that lets you do it as opposed to acquiring the requisite land somehow (be it by conquest, inheritance, or annexation) and taking the decision, then no, I don't think so.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

:black101:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Bort Bortles posted:

poo poo, you guys are right there was some changes to Parliaments.

I dont want the disaster to happen because disasters are bad? The description of what will happen is vague so I dont want to explode or something.

Well it won't be a game over... which is what will happen if you abandon the game to avoid it.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
thank you for that enhancement, now do one for my pontic genocide screenshot

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

that is a screenshot of me changing the culture of trebizond from greek to turkish, juxtaposed against a photograph of when the ottoman empire actually did that irl

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

Yeah I get what it is I'm just confused why you used ":black101:"

if genocide is not a :black101: thing then I don't know what is

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

verbal enema posted:

what do i do now also wtf button did i hit that displays that sidebar i love it kinda.

My Idea 1 was Quantity and I've been speeding throiugh that poo poo first chance i got every time just for the -10% land maintenance. My next I'd like to do is Trade since im at 67%~ power in Constantinople and Aleppo each which seems good I think idk really. I'm making around 27~ ducats a month.

I just saw how much money I actually have I should shelve my whole army and just wage a few big wars with mercs i think. Something happened after I did the "Levant" mission I couldn't take all the cores it told me I needed in one go so i took what you see and am fabricating on a few of the ones I need to finish so I can complete that mission. I'm not really looking on becoming the normal Ottomans idk what that is this is the farthest I've played in 111 hours so yeah but I am looking for some fun. Would taking over Africa be a silly thing? I've never colonised before so I';m not sure how that'd affect my "Huge Army Don't gently caress With Me" shtick I have going on for general safety

oh yeah i took wallachia like the first chance i got and man those 400~ admin points on coring loving hurt but i had to commit i just had too

e: some more stuff. I'm behind by one level on mil tech. Muscovy got 7 first and I'm about 1/2 there from 6. Should I be worried? Not so much about them but their neighbors gaining increased research speed. Also why is the diplo techs all naval stuff. Not ideas just general tech. I upgrade and it makes ships costs more to maintain >:c that is silly.

Is having a powerful navy needed as the Ottomans? I have about 30 odd fighting ships all protecting trade, yeah i know only light ships increase profit but I like having them all together since when I start a war I always forget to check where enemy ships are/will be so they get jumped a lot.

think thats it cool thats my post part 2: return of the post

edit 3 Trilogy Edit: i am about to take Bosnia and Serbia right now all in one go so maybe let me know if that is bad/ good

You should have or will soon have multi-stage missions to conquer the Arab peninsula, Egypt, and North Africa. Do those, and imo take trade ideas. Access to the Indian ocean combined with total control of Alexandria and Constantinople will let you rake in loads of money. Expand into Persia (which is fairly easy, since you can Balkanise it into lots of small states like Taberastan and Baluchistan) and you'll be able to dominate a bloc of like five different trade regions.

Re: Bosnia and Serbia I'd say that's good, if only because it will provide a good defensive border against Austria-Hungary.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

verbal enema posted:

what do you mean by balkanise

Divide an area that is controlled by one large state, or a small number of moderately-sized states, into a larger number of smaller states, thereby allowing you to exert greater control over the area in a lesser amount of time by fighting more wars in the same amount of time and potentially vassalising one or more of the states.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Most, if not all of your trade ships in the Mediterranean should be protecting trade in Alexandria (once you've conquered Egypt) and steering that trade to Istanbul. You'll need a lot, because Spain and Venice and France will all be trying to steer it over to Venice and Genoa. Your other merchant(s) should be either in Samarkand or the Indian Ocean making sure as much of the trade over there as possible ends up going in the direction of Alexandria/Istanbul and not getting siphoned away by Russia or Britain, respectively.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

verbal enema posted:

i think you mean Kostantiniyye

wtf btw

actually I mean استانبول :colbert:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

caliph strong

hormuz, moldovia, and crete are vassals btw. russia is my best buddy 100 trust ally.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mantis42 posted:

If you don't strangle Russia in the cradle you're already doing it wrong as the Ottomans. Its actually easier than you think, I did a Sultan of Rum run and it only took a two wars to take Moscow. After that you can make a vassal out of either Novgorod of Muscovy and have them expand east for you.

I'm going to try to do that next time but allying them was something of a necessity because for a long time there was a Poland-Lithuania-Bohemia PU allied to Austria. Without their alliance there was just no loving way.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

PleasingFungus posted:

It's interesting to ask "why didn't the European nations conquer [North/West/East/Central] africa centuries sooner than they did historically?" It's not interesting if the game's answers are 'no real reason, I guess, and really that's gonna be the most likely outcome...'

Well the main reason is that during the middle ages, north and east Africa were already being conquered by Arabs, along with parts of Europe.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
re: talk of AI not going for Asia enough, basically every game I play as Japan ends in the 1700s with Britain, France, and Spain all declaring wars of imperialism on me.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

YouTuber posted:

Ok, so Aztec and the nations around it play entirely different from normal European EUIV. I take it the goal is to vassalize all 5 around you and feed them the remaining states then reform out to a functional society?

You can pass one reform every time you accumulate five vassals. When you do, you'll lose some stability and release all of your vassals. Even if you pass all the reforms, you'll need to continue this cycle of force-vassalising and/or humiliating and then releasing your neighbours in order to stave off the Doom counter (although I suppose without the requirement for five of them, you could annex a few of them) until Europeans arrive allowing you to reform your religion to no longer require human sacrifice.

On that note, you can't possibly hope to compete with Europeans, no matter how much tech you advance. So I would say that the best way to utilise your one advantage (the enormous amount of monarch power you'll generate due to Aztec leader stats) is to pour it into development. I haven't actually tried that, it's just what I've thought of.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 22, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

lmao, get hosed india

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
It bothers me that there isn't a military idea group simply titled "military ideas".

• Locked thread