Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Tercio posted:

Looks like the Johan symbiote found a new host body.

I've trained him well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Funky Valentine posted:

A development discount for everyone who isn't in Europe could work to make it at all worthwhile for the rest of the world.

Especially the New World.

Europe is supposed to become the mote developer area through the game.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Kersch posted:

This may be true but it's also true that they did this in real life and not in eu4. The way forts block movement now is great for gameplay.

This!

I am very proud of the new fortsystem. I love doing eu4 expansions with Wiz and his team.

Maybe we should post a devdiary tomorrow about how our designprocess works and why that has improved EU4 beyond our wildest hopes in the last 1.5 years.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

GSD posted:

I'm surprised it took this long for Wiz to break up the Hansa, honestly. Since he broke it up in EU3+.

Ironically, its the one of only 3 things I did on Cossacks. The other being the Victory Cards, and a large part of the design.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

dublish posted:

That dev diary completely skips over what really stopped the Barbary pirates. :911:

American and swedish ships! ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Gort posted:

Maybe he should also give settler growth or tarriffs or colonist chance or something as well.

It's a bit like spy offense guy.

Spy offense guy will be awesome in 1.16.

Wiz will tell you why on thursday.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Fister Roboto posted:

I've suggested numerous times that they change it to being able to declare war during a regency at the cost of stability.

Wiz wanted that as well. Luckily i am in charge, so we can keep the rules as they have been for over a decade now!

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Poil posted:

This seems really freaking cool. Although things might get very annoying if everyone gets access to increasing liberty desire.

Unless the rng monarchy REALLY screws you over. :v:

Its available from mid 18th century..

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Mantis42 posted:

I saw a post where they debate the source of "Spain is not the Emperor".

Actually. The real reason for that is that we had a beta in eu3, that keot reporting bugs that Spain should be the emperor of hre for a long time, as it was Habsburg, and the senior branch was in spain..

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Koramei posted:

I posted about this a while ago but finally finished it, just in time for Stellaris to take everyone's interest away from EU4: East Asian Advisor Portraits

hand painted by yours truly. it took about 30 hours, I've gained a lot of respect for Paradox's artists over the course of working on this lol, even though I'm sure they work faster than me.

ironman compatible, doesn't overwrite the base portraits etc etc please subscribe so I feel validated and not like I wasted an enormous amount of time

Best mod ever.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Star posted:

I have a good feeling with Jake at the helm

He's not at the helm. I'm still in charge of design, with Anona replacing Wiz as project manager. Jake is junior designer, sitting with the team. His first feature is ruler personalities, and he is working on design proposals for the 1.20 patch.

Conquest of Paradise, Wealth of Nations, Res Publica & Art of War was my design.

El Dorado, Common Sense, Cossacks & Mare Nostrum was design by me and Wiz.

1.18 is 95% my design, and I hope Jake will contribute 50% by 1.20.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Koramei posted:

It's around estates, apparently. Now you mention it, area boundaries would be really nice though, flicking to the areas mapmode constantly is kind of annoying.

It's all on Johan's twitter and there's a big thread on the Paradox forums compiling it. There's a bunch more stuff I didn't post too.

States/areas

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

QuarkJets posted:

This, diplomat automation, the improved diplomat interface, the new forced breach mechanic, the new state interface, and state edicts all seem pretty valuable no matter where you're playing. But I'm also not sure which of these features are free

Just the new state interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

QuarkJets posted:

Quantity as a first idea or quantity as a first military idea?

For the former, Arrhythmia's right; the first several mil techs are really important and you're better off taking a military idea group 3rd or maybe 2nd because of that

For the latter, in the early game I think Defensive is almost universally better because that's when bonuses to morale and AT make a huge huge huge difference whereas you likely have no problem filling your early combat width with regiments and bodies. If you're in a situation where you're consistently experiencing manpower shortages and don't have the gold to hire mercenaries then quantity makes sense, otherwise Defensive is flat-out better as a first military pick. As you begin to open new theaters to fight in then manpower and force limit can become the limiting factors of your expansion, and in that case it can also make sense to pick Quantity (as a 2nd or 3rd military group), but if you're swimming in ducats then you can just use mercs instead and should pick something else.

In mp it is pretty much suicidal to not have a mil idea first, and nationally focusing on mil.

I personally always go quality first, so i can go economic second, as i am in love with stacking discipline.

• Locked thread