Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

So I've got the basics of trade down thanks to the excellent responses I got here. However, I now have a new problem.

I'm making buttloads of money. I have colonized most of the Caribbean and formed Portuguese Carabais, Portuguese Brazil, and New Portugal (Florida + the Gulf Coast). I have 28 light ships, mostly protecting my Caribbean trade route.

I'm deeply in debt because my Carabais colony is being an rear end in a top hat and is now disloyal. I beefed up my army to bring down their disloyalty, but it's sitting at 56% and they aren't giving me colonial cash and I'm bankrupting myself to intimidate them into loyalty. What do I do now? I don't have a big enough transport fleet to get troops onto the large amount of tiny islands that make up the nation. Should I decrease their tariffs? Something else?

Edit: How many light ships should I have protecting trade? I don't want too many or not enough.

Why do you care if they're disloyal? You lose a tiny bit of income from them and they won't help in wars, but it's not like the Carabais AI was ever going to be super effective helping you out with wars anywhere not on their doorstep. Like yeah, it'd be nice if they were loyal, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. The only real downside is that the enemy AI won't calculate their forces when deciding to attack you or not.

Make sure you improve relations, send them a gift, etc: relations have a direct impact on vassal loyalty. But don't go bankrupting yourself to appease Carabais with their couple ducats/month tariffs and their 10 force limit - it's just not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

A 10 force limit is something I wish they had. They have an 18 stack army right now :v:

Yeah but still they probably can't move more than a fraction of that around.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

MikeC posted:

Sorry to continue with the stream of annoying small questions but sometimes google doesn't really enlighten much.

So I am doing ok I think having gotten used to the interface and have a burgeoning colonial nation in the Americas and Caribbean. Should I be using light ships to patrol their areas at all to increase trade? Or should I be "selling" them light ships? Does it matter much. I kind of get that I get x% of colonial nations' income via tariffs, just wondering if there is a way to maximize my return with some aging Barques.

Colonial nations give you half their trade power. This is where most of your colonial income will come from, since colonies are usually low-ish basetax and your tariff rate isn't high anyhow. The general idea is that you want to steer the trade back towards your home node. If you're Spain/Portugal, you can steer from Caribbean/Mexico/Brazil to Sevilla, but not from Chesapeake Bay or whatever the northern-most North American trade node is.

So use the Barques to protect trade on your behalf, and you'll bring in even more trade from the colonies.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
I started an Ayutthaya campaign to grab "The White Elephant" and "Land of the Eastern Jade". Are there other achievements to obviously pick up with those ones? Also how much time do I have to get to Central America? I'm assuming I want to go East through the Pacific and that I want Exploration first, but do I have time to pick up stuff in Asia or do I need to immediately start island hopping as fast as I can?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Poil posted:

Whoever is in charge of taking loans for your country is a colossal moron. -1 in the treasury? Welp, better go and borrow several hundred.

When you consider that each loan is also 0.1 inflation, it would suck even harder if the default loan size was smaller.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Am I in good shape on this Sun God run? Just westernized. Still have to pick up an unfortunate number of techs (about 3-4 in each category). My general goal is to march that snake you see in the south up north along the Portuguese border to the wasteland and then fill it in. For ideas I have the first 6 in Exploration and the first 1 in Expansion. I'm assuming I go Defensive next?

TTBF posted:

That is some exceptionally bad luck in a lot of areas. Quite a few people here did Sun God runs not too long ago, and I don't think anyone mentioned Europeans showing up before the third reform was passed. I'd suggest trying again if you think your current game is unsalvageable. It's unlikely luck will be that bad again.

One thing that I found worked really well to speed stuff up in the early game was to force-vassalize the smaller Andean nations, wait 10 years, annex them, then lower autonomy. Lowering autonomy is 5 authority per province, so doing that to a 4-6 province Andean nation will ultimately get you a huge chunk of a reform and outweighs the tiny bit of extra authority you'd get from holding the land. Plus you get to balance spending diplo points and admin points, etc.

Dreylad posted:

In 1.13, though the Europeans seem to get to South America much faster. Basically by 1505-1510 they're going to have a few colonies in South America and by 1520 they're going to be exploring the west coast. I managed to conquer the Andes by 1504, reform my religion by about 1545 and immediately westernize, but about 10 years in I just had Spain declare on me. Not to mention that France, Holland, England, and Spain (but not Portugal, weirdly, I think they own all of the Caribbean though) are all colonizing parts of South America. One thing to try is to move your capital close to one colony and see if you can get a European power to declare you their protectorate while you finish up your reforms, colonize like a mad Inca, and westernize.

Wow. I didn't run into Europeans until I went looking for them in the early 1500s, and I had the Andes conquered before that (I ran into them by conquering Muisica and colonizing eastward until I hit Spain's Colombian colonies). I guess I massively lucked out.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 3, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TomEmanski posted:

I was a little slow in conquering the northern countries due to their network of alliances. Perhaps I should have been more aggressive there in forming Inca. I'll have to try the lowering autonomy trick on annexed vassals to speed things up next time.

Here's a picture of my situation when Spain DOW'd me.

You've pretty much got to handle the Andean nations first (and before 1500). It's definitely doable if you're aggressive. I got a clutch diplo-vassalization of Chachapoya so keep an eye out for stuff like that. I think I only had to fight one or two wars where I was outnumbered, and I could do that by just preventing the allies from linking up.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

VDay posted:

Yeah it can be a little tricky to send everything to Constantinople as the Ottomans, at least until you invade Italy and the HRE at which point you can think about relocating to Venice. But even then the Ragusa trade node between Venice and Constantinople acts as a really obnoxious siphon that European nations have a surprising amount of trade power in, so you want to make sure you actually kick them out first because otherwise you're going to be sending a ton of value their way like I accidentally did in my Ottos game. Freaking Hansa had like the third most trade power in that node thanks to their crazy bonuses or mercentalism or whatever it is they have that lets them be a continental trade giant while only controlling like four provinces by Denmark.

Yeah but at the same time, if you're an Ottomans who is pushing into the Gulf of Aden and Persia and all that, you're probably not hurting for money too badly.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Dreylad posted:

OK 1) I'm an idiot for not realizing that lowering autonomy would give me more authority points. I noticed with the Chimu event that raising autonomy cost a chunk of authority, not sure why I didn't think it would work the other way. 2) The tooltip really needs to explain how autonomy affects authority in more explicit detail.

Yeah, it does say in a tooltip somewhere that lowering autonomy grants more authority, but it's easy to miss.

Dreylad posted:

I've been following your strategy, mainly in order to save as many Admin points as possible, but that makes it wayyy better. The faster you get your reforms, the more monarch points you probably save in the long run.

So long as you get the colonist reform ASAP and you have all the reforms before you encounter the Europeans you'll be fine - it's not really worth it to truce-break or take too crazy of risks to get reforms 4 & 5 a bit faster. It also accelerates, since Authority/year is based on the amount of land held, so while you start out at 1-2 passive Authority gain per year, that'll quickly be up to 3-5 as you conquer and colonize.

Also, I personally found that getting the Manpower Recovery and the Morale reforms were more helpful than the coring cost reduction, since my expansion was much more Manpower-limited than Admin-limited.

Dreylad posted:

Try to push hard for Potosi since that will give you a buttload of income and let you start running three adivsors to provide some decent bonuses (inflation admin advisor is great) and help get you as many monarch points as possible.

If you're vassalizing someone, it doesn't cost any extra warscore (and only slightly more AE) to grab a province or two off of them. I usually try to grab the most strategically useful (lets me forge claims on the next guy) or profitable (super gold-mine Potosi :getin:) province from whoever I vassalize (unless they're a TPM with useless provinces like Chachapoya or something).

Dreylad posted:

I don't know if I've had exceptionally bad luck but I always find that if your initial starting Cusco ruler doesn't die pretty early, his heir will. And that's not counting the few time's I've had him die in battle.

Yeah, it's probably just luck, but I lost the heir kinda early too.

Dreylad posted:

When you're conquering the Andes generally you can alternate northern and southern wars without running into any treaty issues and by the time you have an atrocious amount of AE there wont be anyone left to coalition you. You should aim to eat/vassal a country or two every war, and also lean heavily on mercs since your manpower will inevitably run out. Figure out who is rivaling who, forge alliances with the rivals of people you want to attack and let your allies do as much of the fighting and sieging as possible to preserve manpower. With a decent general you can take on larger AI stacks in the mountains as long as you're defending.

Pretty much everything in that quote applies to basically every other aggressive start too. The round-robin war strategy I call the "circular dick-punch" and I find it's really effective from the Ottomans & France on down to TPMs - AE is based on culture and distance, so it's super-helpful if your enemies on opposite sides are different cultures or (in other starts) culture groups. "Aim to eat/vassal a country or two every war" is probably a bit much in most instances, but I think it translates rather well in other starts to recognizing that it's worth it to run up the warscore most of the time to get most of your goals rather than stopping when you get one objective. Mercenaries are basically mandatory in the early game where you're often manpower-limited.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

It's got its uses. When I wanted to force-vassalize Flanders as France, I warned a couple of Dutch minors who had claims on Flander's land. Kept them from attempting to annex my future vassal until I was in a position to declare on Flanders.

It is pretty niche though, and I only used it because IIRC I couldn't guarantee Flanders for some reason (probably their development level but I don't remember).

Revoking a guarantee generates a truce, that's probably why you didn't guarantee Flanders.

Bort Bortles posted:

This is hilarious and have no loving clue.

Yup it is ridiculous. It is obviously probably hard to code a solution but it is hilarious that Austria/the HRE Emperor gets pissy and drops everything when someone declares war on an HRE state for non-HRE lands. At least now after a certain time the Italian states get booted from the HRE, but that does not help Crimea/Ottoman AI.

The problem is that if they put in some kind of "Emperor doesn't defend against outsiders in wars with CB X" rule, then anybody playing Poland or France or Sweden would exploit that rule and be able to take the HRE land if they're willing to eat the diplo & AE.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

UrbicaMortis posted:

So i'm trucking along in my first game. Started as castille, now spain and alternating between crushing the heathen to the south and colonising the new world. I've colonised enough to get two colonial nations but I've run into an issue.

If by "heathen to the south" you mean North Africa, don't. North Africa has a penalty to coring costs, so it's very expensive to conquer and not really worth it. West Africa, like the Jolof/Mali area, is a different story though.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Rakthar posted:

quote:

Quantity
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get A Decent Reserve without Quantity that's not literally "conquer 50% more land than you need with Quantity"?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Node posted:

I felt like it was enormously helpful. Again, it could be me just being bad at wars, but when conquering the other Andean tribes I was manpower starved. The low supply limit from mountains doesn't help either.

Yeah, I was in the same boat. Conquering Andean tribes was largely manpower limited. I had a few situations where I was truce-limited but not many at all, and not lengthy waits, whereas waiting a few years for manpower wasn't an uncommon occurrence.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Based on some of the advice upthread, I'm doing another Ottomans game (going for 1001 and the 1M manpower achieves) with the "cut yourself off from your capital so everything in Asia/Africa is 50% cheaper to core" strategy. I'm using Syria to block Africa and I've got Iraq stretching from the Persian Gulf to the Caspian Sea. Is there an easy way to block myself off in the North-East? Like if I integrate Crimea, push through Georgia into the Horde territories and the cheap Russian lands, is there an easy spot to block that from my capital? Or do I just have to make sure to leave an unconquered strip between my steppe conquerings and my Middle East through India conquerings?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

gently caress me, that makes me far less inclined to make another attempt at 1001. Though part of me does kind of want to do a WC just for the novelty of doing it. Anyone have recommendations for doing such a thing as a still Muslim Ottomans? Mostly idea lines is what I'm curious about. I'm assuming I'd want both Religious and Expansion for the CBs, but I don't really want to pass on Humanist to go Religious. So tired of spamming missionaries.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The strategy suggested elsewhere in the thread was to block off Africa (with Syria) and the Mid-East/India (with Iraq) from having a direct land connection, so you could take them as distant overseas. I'm literally paying 1 admin per development to core, and they core in like 16 months. The downside is that most of my provinces are worthless - everything I own in Africa has a 75% autonomy minimum. I'm going to rush to grab North Africa and as far down the Horn as feasible quickly, so that I can annex Syria and start getting something out of those provinces. My force limit is only about 70 or so, which bites.

The start is pretty formulaic - recover cores, take Constantinople, etc. I also grabbed Theodoro so I'd be able to force-vassalize Crimea. Then I popped Syria out of AQ when I attacked QQ (who usually vassalizes them), and then used Syria's cores + the Levant mission to grab 100% WS of provinces out of Mamluks. If you rivaled Mamluks and QQ, that's enough PP to coast on (stay above 50) for 30-40 years. I had to swing through the Arabian Peninsula to be able to core stuff that's east of my Iraqi vassal. I vassalized Serbia and fed them most of the Balkans and a bit of Hungary - they're taking a while to annex, but when that finishes I'll be right on the Austrian border.

Mercs are so key. I have 4 mercs with each army stack, and I keep older outdated mercs around to use as siege fodder. I'm basically always full manpower despite being always at war.

OneTwentySix posted:

But yeah, that's what I've been doing. It's December 1st, 1699, and I'm well on my way for a one-tag WC. It's been a fun ride so far, despite the many false starts; my last game got all the way to 1710 and saw that I wasn't going to be able to beat Ming in time. Here's my map:

Of note is that that map is 1,019 provinces, so 1,001 is a really crazy thing to go for.

Of course, you don't have to go HRE, and definitely don't need to go Protestant, but Protestantism is a really good religion, and it's a pretty neat run overall.

What's your max manpower at? I'm trying to get a sense of how easily 1M manpower is going to come - that 367K isn't your max, is it? Well then again I guess your Asian stuff is still cut off there...

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I'm used to the whole cut off and core for nothing trick, just finished up a Russia game doing just that. Although keeping yourself permanently walled off from all that stuff is counterproductive, especially if you're hurting for forcelimits/manpower; all you need is to not have a land connection, so conquer a big block of land, core it for nothing, then connect it in the next few years.

My problem is trying to find incremental vassals I can use along the way to cut off at the right points.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

anti_strunt posted:

I must be missing out on some deep strat, but what would France want with Scandinavia...?

(to spell it out in case the previous posts are opaque)

The Big Blue Blob achievement requires you to own 100 cores as France by 1500. The easiest way to do that is low-development provinces outside of the HRE because they're cheaper to core and also less likely to result in coalition. Scandinavia is the best choice for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Has anyone been playing the new MEIOU & Taxes beta? Is there an easy way to learn it? I put in a couple hours into it yesterday and feel like I understand some of the basics, but I learned CK2, EU3, and V2 with Goon LPs back in the day. Is there anything similar for the new MEIOU?

• Locked thread