Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Elman posted:

El Dorado at least adds some useful stuff with automated exploration, gold fleets and the Treaty of Tordesillas, so it's good for both South Americans and colonizers.

Not to mention it adding the nation designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

TTBF posted:

I'm playing as the Ottomons for the first time and generally having fun even if every war drains all my admin points. I want to declare on Genoa next, but doing so will bring me into conflict with Austria as Genoa is part of the HRE. If I attack a member of the HRE and the Emperor joins, is that a war against the entire HRE or just the relevant parties?

The emperor gets to bring in all his allies, but not every member of the HRE, besides who's mentioned in the war declaration menu.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

TTBF posted:

Also be warned that if a vassal or PU partner forms a CN they will still get upset at you for colonizing there.

Not to mention the pope being miffed.. They really do everything they can to make Catholism as unattractive as possible.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Upgrading your republic from a kingdom to an empire makes you go from Grand Republic to Great Republic.. Wouldn't you say that "grand" is better than "great"?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Mygna posted:

I got sight on Asia in my Milan game around 1640 and now I kind of wish there was a replay mode to explain how some of this poo poo happened :china:

Aside from the whole China situation, Hindustan is Shia and still doesn't contain a single actual Shia province, Scandinavia has continued eating Russia and looks set to colonize to the Pacific and the HRE has Catholicism as the dominant religion thanks to the League war never starting. Which is kind of awkward, seeing how the single Elector of Salzburg and perpetual Emperor Austria are literally the only catholic member states.

Greece has formed on Cyprus due to rebels in every single game I've played so far since last patch.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I fail to see why Frederik IV of Denmark has 0/0/0.. I know that Denmark went bankrupt during his reign, but it was hardly his fault, and he -did- save his country from being annexed by the Swedes, leading them to lose the position as primary power in the Baltics to the Russians in the Great Nordic War 0f 1700-1721. He also instituted major reforms for schools and land ownership, so I'd say he'd at least could do with some admin and diplomacy, especially.

Was he just a forgotten character?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

A million beheaded heretics, heathens and disgruntled peasants later, the Teutonic Order can finally declare Pax Teutonicus! The Ottoman hordes are still at large, always boasting a hundred thousand warriors whenever we did battle for the scraps of a monstrously huge Crimea, who spanned from Kiev to Sibir. As the Ottomans grow fatter on the ripe fields to the South, we feel implored to fully establish the bulwark against these legions of injustice as was our duty of old..

Three years later, I say let them come.

One should probably pick more military ideas than Defensive for the first 200 years of the game when doing these, although Devotion's as ludicrously good as it's easy to keep up. I used to prefer theocracies for their lack of stab hits on ruler deaths, but Common Sense has completely ruined any other government form for me - If you haven't tried one out yet, you're seriously missing out, I felt so spoiled during this run!

Oh, and joining the HRE, just to see your emperor Austria buddy flip religion, lose the seat and watch it get tossed to Bohemia, your rival, who promptly declare Ewiger Landfriede is no fun, although it did clear an entire front for me to not worry about!
..Now to turn into Prussia and get that goose step achievement! :v:

E:

Oh, and how I wish we were able to drag our country's name around, making it fit better.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Did you sign A Bitter Peace? :eyepop:

Just spending some of my Baltic treasure on prestige projects, you may call me the original Swan King.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

I forced my vassal Dai Viet to convert to Confucianism but they refuse to use missionaries to convert their provinces. I tag switched to them to check and all of their provinces are in the 20-30 months conversion range. They just won't use their missionary.

Throw some money at them.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

How in the world would that help? :confused:

Missionaries have an upkeep when in use, and the AI refrains from spending gold at the dumbest of times. I had the same problem with Finland in my TO game yesterday.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

Oh, thanks. They are sitting at +2 a month though. But I could throw them a buck I guess.

Maybe they're in debt? Or perhaps the AI just doesn't bother with converting provinces until they're below a certain month-requirement?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Kersch posted:

WARNING: AI borders! Only click if you have a strong stomach!

http://i.imgur.com/S6LoBkS.jpg

Eet's beeeautifuuul!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Muscovy is kind of a pushover or at least tends to collapse a lot more easily to Hordes and other neighbors. Him owning all the PLC land is more impressive to me cuz there's a solid 500+ development in there and it took me forever to conquer in my TO->Prussia game.

It's totally doable but I'd be pretty surprised if that screenshot is much before ~1700. He hasn't given us the date :v:

I had a similar progress at 1686, and I didn't even pick administrative ideas; it's completely doable!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Obliterati posted:

Common Sense seems to have a lot more colonisers. They also all beeline for Brazil, so you'll have Dutch, French, English, Casillian and Portuguese there pretty sharply.

Getting a pop-up telling me that Friesland has been the first to circumvent the globe made my day yesterday.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

And -1 stability too, right?

Yup. I'm pretty sure that the diplomatic idea group bonus removes this, though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Koramei posted:

sick

some random dude further along said Empires get +1 leader too, I dunno if that's true though but they said it authoritatively so I'm gonna believe them

the more I think about it the happier I am that unique buildings are gone. that change alone managed to balance most of the idea groups into actually being worthwhile.

..Aaand there goes the okay idea group balancing out the window again.

E:

Well, it's not THAT dire, but they were still boons to the less used ones.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

by the time you have 1000 development, you've won. who cares what happens at emperor rank, from a 'balance' perspective?

A fair few countries start the game on King rank, even small ones.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Patch notes posted:

- Will now refuse to be vassalised by a country that owns its cores.

This sound absolutely crippling to diplovassalizing, or am I misreading this?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

You know what, instead of a +1 diplomat at kingdom and +1 leader at empire I think it would be cooler if you get +1 free national policy slot at kingdom and at empire rank.

I would be just fine with this change, if influence and aristocracy got something else to make them worthwhile again!

E:

Uh, that was diplomacy, not influence, and it's not nearly as big an offender as aristocracy, don't take that the wrong way. Really, it's aristocracy I'm worried for, as you really don't need 4-5 leaders.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 26, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yashichi posted:

Why is this a problem? It makes sense that they wouldn't peacefully choose to be your vassal if you own land that's theirs. You can still just declare war and vassalize them if you need to.

Ah, see, now it makes sense to me.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

At least the difficulty of maintaining army tradition has boosted quality and defensive immensely compared to offensive, the previous obvious military idea of choice.

..Which may or may not get stomped into the ground with the upcoming AT from forts change.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Allyn posted:

Why is offensive less appealing in this setup? Surely in an era of unreliable AT gains, guaranteed leader pips are even more valuable. Then again I just straight up love offensive and pretty much always have :shobon:

As others have said, it's not that offensive's bad, it's that the others are just as good now!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm just gonna assume not many have bothered with this one yet, as it was stupidly easy now that Austria's got so much trouble keeping the throne.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I know it doesn't affect my game, but I can't help but feel disgusted when people just SAM their way through the achievements without even attempting them.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The change is basically just moving the cross so it's a Nordic Cross instead of a St. George's Cross. The really odd thing is Paradox not making it a Nordic Cross from the start.

Same with Norway, they all had the cross of today, even back then.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What's worse is the AI, as France or Poland, saying they'll join your war against Austria only to watch you in silence as you get your poo poo stomped.

It's the closest they get to human behaviour, savour it!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It struck me how I'm missing the single ideas from EU3, especially the one that focuses on art. There's nothing in EU4 that truly lets me ignore warfare and just make the Swan King proud.

E:

It's even doubly sad, considering the time period.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 18, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Gotcha. So if Im gonna start gobbling up HRE members I need to be aligned with the Emperor.

And try and make sure that your emperor buddy doesn't lose the throne.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

They're in kind of a tricky diplomatic and geographic situation at the start. France often rivals you

Giving them someone else Avignon usually helps with this.

E:

Don't give France anything, seriously!

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 14, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Ran into a guy at my college playing EU4 the other day. I bring it up cause he was using the terrain mapmode

Well, there's your CB right there!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

:shepspends:

Cossacks will be the best waste of money ever

Enjoying yourself has never been a waste of money.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's "successful", and the sentence doesn't make much sense to begin with. I don't know what that "lately have given" is doing there, but it's preventing me from playing any further! Fix it, or I'll rebel flag you guys so hard! :argh:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

If Golden Horde has no dangerous allies, you could DoW them and get military access for Muscovy that way. Figured that might be it?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

The AI seems to always get "lucky" with the colonist chance and grow their colonies really fast.

This isn't Civ 5, the only place where the AI is allowed to cheat, I believe, is ignoring other stacks' attrition and having free relation slots for players. Lucky nations is something else.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

AIs also get vastly reduced chances of native risings in their colonies, since they don't know to garrison them.

Well I'll be.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Just get EU4. CK2 is bad now.

It does feel rather neglected, even though the Horse Lords DLC came out not too long ago!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Unrelated: theocracies are baller.

While being unable to make your rulers into generals isn't. That severely hampers my custom nation RP sessions!

There's no reason to be the Knights of Madasque, when you can't bring the sword to the heathens personally.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Star posted:

You can always form Westphalia.

Or Hannover!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I, too, can't wait for the Fetishists to rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As for Monarchies there are a few simple fixes that would make them a lot less awful. Regencies are the single biggest drawback to monarchies and a huge impediment to enjoying the game. Some solutions to that would be to:
- Replace the crappy increase core cost idea in Aristocratic with an idea that lets you declare war in a regency. Now Aristocratic is a more useful idea group.
- OR allow war declaration in regency for stability cost.
- OR combine these two ideas,. You can declare war in a regency for stability hit, but if you have the aristocratic idea there is no stability hit.

This sounds like such a simple and elegant solution, which would solve several problems -and- foster more player choice.

• Locked thread