Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Average Bear posted:

I was Byzantium, Byz Separatists in Mamluk owned cyrprus revolted, they presumably became the BYZ tag as well and thus I became them. So I had Cyprus's idea group choices, their monarch points and randomly genned monarch.

Was about to start a Byzantium game, thanks for the warning.

So, Common Sense. Feels like a completely new game, so I have no idea where would be a good place to learn the ropes (again and again :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mans posted:

every big DLC turns the game into a comical disaster of bugs and glitches and i thank you all for buying it as soon as it was released and suffer through all those problems so they can be patched before i bother buying it.

i love you goons

Man considering how far Paradox has come in terms of testing, development and patching, I buy the major DLCs out of principle

I mean, I played the original Victoria. I have seen things in the dark. :v:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

VDay posted:

What's a good money sink early on in the game?

I suppose that is going to be a part of the early new DLC meta: figuring out what to do with money.

It kinda messes with the point of relieving monarch point costs of buildings because development, but you won't bother building stuff in poo poo provinces... I would say to save up the cash for mercs and forts to help your Siberian expansion and build an eventual big rear end fleet.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Yeah, toying with the new development mechanic and the overall increased monarch point costs, there is something off going on IMHO.

Since almost anything relevant require monarch points and their demand has overall increased due to development and increased costs of everything, MP feels more thinly spread than ever and coring/increasing development/diploannexing can easily push you backwards for a very long while.

I should play more to better comment about that, but monarch points might need a revision for post-Common Sense. With technology, idea groups, policies, diplomatic actions, peace deals, coring provinces and now development, their utility as creating "restriction for gameplay purposes" is not as sure as earlier on.

(full disclosure: hell in some non-ironman saves I just gave no shits and added dip points to get peace deals because gently caress waiting for arbitrary limiters, so I might be biased)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Any recommendations for a new Common Sense save? I was thinking Sweden (never played it :downs: ), seems like a good one to try.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Away due to faulty video card, got a new one, now we are back into this thang

Please explain me how to make the best out of development, because I could use some ideas in how to make some sick rear end provinces and tractor the poo poo out of Scandinavia tia

(Also, the Pope got some superpowers or something? Papal States seem a ~really~ good start now.)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I really wanna say that Paradox has come a long way and the Teutonic Order has a bitchin' look to their troops (all military orders tbh).

Regarding development, please let me know if I got this thing right:

- spend MP only on surplus in regards to technology;

- increase base tax in the capital and provinces that have a certain level of it;

- increase production in provinces which have decent resources (copper, gold, textiles, silk, etc or have powerful unique modifiers);

- increase manpower in provinces worth nothing with grain or fish resources;

- if you are big, concentrate on major provinces;

- if you are tiny, develop everywhere.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gently caress. How do I manage to get going as Sweden before Denmark drags me into some stupid war? They got a mission for Ösel and did not give a single crap that Muscovy just curbstomped Novgorod, landing 30k troops into Finland. Things got messy.

I think that getting Poland or Novgorod's support is just delaying the inevitable trouble, so perhaps Austria or France would care?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I suppose that Sweden is much better if it stays up as such and doesn't form Scandinavia, yes?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I have a simple question: what is the Good Stuff to build? Usually I would bother mostly with temples and manufactories, but Common Sense is pretty much a new game so I don't know :v: I usually toss workshops in provinces with local goods modifiers and valuable stuff or temples everywhere.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dumb thing that never thought about much: is it better to convert or core first?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Question: when it is better to outright annex and when should I create vassals?

I am replaying as the Ottomania (always fun) and I vassalized Bosnia and Wallachia to create a buffer zone between me and Europe, while I went rampaging in Asia. The Turks might be a bad example to test this due to their great conquering bonuses, but making some strategic vassals to help things along seems like a good idea.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Any awesome strategies for playing as colonial nation?

I never tried a game as something like the USA or Brazil. End-game will probably involve invading Europe, so that might be fun :getin:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Is Punjab a formable state in the game? For some reason, a Sikh game unifying India seems very appealing :getin:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I should be able to convert to Sikhism afterwards, though?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Koramei posted:

Incidentally Sikhism really owns.

It definitely does. Punjab + Sikh + Offensive + Defensive seems able to really put the hurt around.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

Have any of you been able to excel this patch as a single province? Any advice?

As a single province, little. Small nations are less troubled by that, but still it seems that development could use some work.

It is more of intuition than anything else (so feel free to take as anecdotal) , but I find myself rarely developing or at all when ideas, cores, diplomatic actions, stability and events are much more pressing demands of your points. Particularly even more so with other tech groups, although I can concede that might be due to a pre-Common Sense playstyle.

I am not so sure that this would be a good or even practical idea - and I can see the concerns a mile away - however, perhaps it would be an interesting thing to just let gold be used to develop provinces instead of monarch points.

Perhaps after that I play a full game with France or a powerhouse that can go really tall I can comment with more property on the subject, but IMHO, development could use some additional work to make it more doable and engaging.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I would add Sikh Punjab to RabidWeasel's post because holy gently caress being stuck in a three-way situation with Persia, Bahmanis and Jaunpur/Delhi/Bengal all waiting for a misstep :suicide:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am restarting Punjab, ideas are welcome:

My current strategy is to make Delhi eat poo poo and die while grabbing all Panjabi territories ASAP, followed by having a Rajput vassal to assimilate all that increased coring cost provinces. Problem is that Delhi somehow has huge numbers of troops even after I break them over and I really do not know why.

Converting to Sikh first thing when available, of course.

Idea group progression is Humanist+Influence+Defensive so far. Any tips regarding how to not lag tremendously behind as Indian tech is warmly welcomed.

Thanks!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Can someone please teach me how to utterly destroy Bahmanis please thank you

(India is far more awesome than I initially thought - sure I am making things harder by selecting a releasable nation which may break me sooner or later)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Playing with the sultanates there is just ~wrong~ you haters of sacred bovines

Gonna tinker a bit with Vijayanagar. For those who have 360 noscope mad skills, go Punjab and go Sikh. Your very own religion and you are frontloaded with military bonuses front to back ready to bring a fuckton of tolerance, class equality and free meals to everyone in this damned subcontinent

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Node posted:

Uh

So you have to play the game for 50 years and hope the game picks one of your provinces to be able to convert? That's irritating. You can conquer the province and convert that way, I guess.

No big deal. I waited until 1500 and I was able to convert, and all my Hindu provinces were Sikh in less than 8 years. Manually, but no probs.

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 18, 2015

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am trying to create a custom nation for a very tall game focused heavily on development to try a few ideas regarding that.

Unfortunately, there is no custom modifier for goods produced. This is going to be a chink in my tiny-tall op save :(

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Node posted:

Holy poo poo. Guys. You might not realize this, but France is pretty strong.

:)

I realized the power of compounding idea groups with national ideas first with France, which is to say, holy loving crap

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Somebody asked about how Sikhism appears, here it goes:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Guys, I am elaborating some custom setups and I would like your input:

- For a money NI, +trade efficiency or +tax is more powerful? (I believe it is the former)

- Infantry combat ability or arty?

- Tech cost discount is pretty much a solid pick, but what about idea cost? Is it unnecessary (since you are aiming to get those ideas anyway)?

- Accepted culture threshold, religious unity, stuff like that is unnecessary (Humanism) or should be compounded like the ottos?

- Obligatory ones for me are +discipline, +morale, -cc and -tech cost; any others that are must haves, in your opinion?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So, I had the protestants starting in Saxony and a Council of Trent;

Switzerland is the first Reformed seat and England went full-on Anglican;

But, of course, things could not be like that and poo poo went on fire with Pomerania annexing Denmark, Portugal too busy conquering Morocco instead of colonizing and commiting border atrocity by having a exclave right in the middle of it, Milan eating Venice and Hungary conquering Serbia, Albania, Bosnia and a slice of Bulgaria just for shits and giggles, Haasa becoming the premier Arab power and the Timurids actually managing to have a figment of staying power.

Also, loving Ardalan managed to survive while being invaded by 3 different countries.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

By the way, forgot to ask: as of the latest version, is it worth it for Russia to westernize?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Any strategies in battling the Commonwealth as Russia?

I had an incredibly unlucky series of rulers so I am pretty behind due to tech and Commonwealth has become titanic, to say the least. Should I just forget about the West and go into Siberia? They already conquered Crimea :(

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Tsyni posted:

In the west I think the Commonwealth can be scarier than France or the Ottoman's. I'd head east and west. What's Denmark/Sweden doing?

Denmark got obliterated by Pomerania and Sweden is allied with the PLC since day one.

Sharzak posted:

Just head in literally any direction that isn't up/to the left.

Doing that already, particularly so now that the Commonwealth allied itself with France :downs: I really wanted those East Slavic territories early, but I guess I'll have to sit that one out. I am allied with Austria, but I am not so sure if that will help me in the long term.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

I am planning a Muscowy game and I'll pick Admin first, fill until the core discount then focus on tech again. That 25% reduced coring cost/time ist just too good. You can pick up Religious as 4th Idea if you run into problems converting.

With Muscovy, you are better suited to enjoy your ridiculous manpower vantage and -infantry cost than relying on mercenaries, IMO

I still need to devise a reasonably good strategy and progression for Russia as of Common Sense. Religious/Influence/Defensive/Expansion/Trade/Quantity is my way to go, but I end up having a loving tremendous gap in tech while stomping all around.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Poland-Lithuania is loving disgraceful: A Short Story

There was this loving awful principality called Novgorod. Novgorod, being an rear end in a top hat, would band together with other assholes, namely Poland-Lithuania. After having suffered the smackdown of a lifetime by Muscovy, they held a few provinces together. Years later, Finland would be released by a tactical blunder made by Sweden, and the Finns were all too eager to be under the awesomeness of St George kicking rear end by the Orthodox and True Church in Russia. The insidious assholeness of Novgorod, made exponentially worse by years of resentment, made them declare war against the poor Finns, dragging Muscovy and Poland-Lithuania into the mess.

Poland-Lithuania, being the OP scumbags and baby-eating peasants that they are, had those loving huge stacks going around and banding together and suffering attrition separately, as well as having the blessings of the Lucky Factor, which only expanded their supreme assholeness. The brave Muscovites rallied together and scorched earth, dragged them around and bled them as much as possible while tanking their manpower. Of course, even with zero manpower, both assholes went on raging their combined 50k armies around.

Novgorod, in a move of unparalled supreme douchebaggery by the time, went on and reclaimed their old capital, allegedly slapping their rotten dicks in the faces of the finnish diplomats, acting not unlike those tiny weakling bastards who happen to be friends somehow with the local bully (aka Poland).

It is said that a while afterwards, Novgorod was recaptured by the Muscovites and their ruler was executed by the greatest wedgie ever applied in human history. Counting with the support of their Polish friends, the Novgorodians did not realize that the PLC was completely loving drained after fighting three brutal winters and that made the good ol' Holy Roman Emperor all too eager to give some payback.

The last paragraph seems to be the hopes of the author, according to research.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Bohemia got the Netherlands from the death of the Duke of Burgundy.

My games have been quite novel as of late.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I finally got a good Russia game going, and I have a question: I have annexed a few Circasian territories and I want to release Circassia as a vassal to have a neat buffer between me and Ottomans while I conquer the Caucasus, but for some reason it says that Circassia will be Shia even after I converted all the relevant provinces. Any idea why? :(

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Welp, another Russia game is in the queue then

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Node posted:

diplomatically insult the Ottoman Empire

totally necessary

Fister Roboto posted:

Games > EU4: By land and by sea we will battle with thee, gently caress your mother

mods please tia

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Does he realize that the ottos are the most op country in the game?

"Turk-hating" is everybody else fighting them in this game because drat

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

How do I break a country?

I won massively a war against the Ottomans as Russia and I am occupying all their territories. After neutralizing them, should I just wait for rebels then peace out?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Why not just make all the "release cores/release nations" demands?

I want to ruin them as bad as possible :shibe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

protip

Quantity + Trade = THE PRODUCTION QUOTA ACT, goods produced modifier +20%

Never suffer having no money for titanic armies again

• Locked thread