Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

RabidWeasel posted:

The bloat is actually a real and serious issue because they can't make all of the new systems work together organically because of how their DLC model works. They're going to have to bite the bullet at some point and either give some old DLC mechanics away for free or else the game is going to become a total mess (some would argue that it has already).

I mean take the game with all DLC from the ground up and imagine explaining it to a new player, there's so many completely unrelated systems which all do similar things it's absurd.

OTOH this new thing sounds pretty cool even though it should tie into tech and/or institutions rather than arbitrary dates.

Arumba and Filthyrobot (both are youtubers) are doing a series where Arumba is teaching EUIV and going deep into the mechanics. I think they ended up unpausing once in the first few 20 minute episodes with all the poo poo that needed to be explained.

I like the idea behind the new feature, but these things feel like they could be done as an extension of the existing mission system rather than bolting an entirely new system onto the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sindai posted:

Ages seem like a good replacement for the now almost vestigial (aside from the historical ones) mission system.

Missions are good for the AI though, and give it incentives to do things it might otherwise not.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Xinder posted:

certified bad player here: how do i money?

This isn't the full scope of the issue. I actually just went bankrupt so now all my armies are running with -100% morale, which is fun. I also just had a civil war (which might still be going? didn't check when i quit the game, but since i got demands enforced on me and changed rulers i'm pretty sure it's over) during which Imerti managed to crawl its way back into existence.

Theodoro is my vassal, Shirvan and Poland are my allies. Tabarestan just decided it didn't want to be my ally anymore and set me as a rival instead and I took that as my cue to just...stop for the night.

I've never had a game go this far downhill and not quit but for some reason I've decided I want to try and power through. But I do not know how I'll do that...

fake edit: the only reason i'm at my force limit right now is because i inherited all the pretender rebels when they enforced. my actual army from before is the 9stack that got trapped on Theodoro when I was helping take Crimea and panic peaced without realizing I had no way to get home and then decided I didn't want them to go home since by that point pretender rebels were running roughshod through the whole country and I just wanted them to enforce already.

You're paying 6 ducats in forts. Why are you paying 6 ducats in forts? Tear some of them down, and mothball the rest!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jamsque posted:

The +settlers policy is really strong for European powers early in the game when colonies grow incredibly slowly. Once you start to have multiple colonies and +settlers bonuses from ideas and diplo tech I would recommend switching to the 'no uprisings' policy when you can afford the stability hit. For non-Euro colonizers it's a little more situational, if you are a smaller nation colonizing areas with large numbers of high-aggression natives you probably can't afford the manpower to fight natives and you might even lose to them.

Also don't forget your estates, you can get more settlers from your priests and your merchants.

On the other hand, -100% native uprisings means that your troops will never be attacked by natives while exploring or walking around through uncolonized territory. It's incredibly helpful for exploring the new world without getting attacked all the time.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jabor posted:

The rebels in Corfu don't spawn with enough troops to actually siege the fortress, so it's not unusual to see them parked there for a long time if they're too much of a pain to actually deal with.

You'd think the defenders would literally die of old age at that point.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, I decided to give England a spin and figured why not, I'll claim france as mine because I'm greedy. I fought the initial unification war and won, four loans later. Is there any way to actually keep this union now or did I make an incredibly stupid decision? :v:

Develop France. Each point of development is -5% liberty desire.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't know that mercs even had a reinforcement cost, the wiki just mentions their recruitment and maintenance costs

They reinforce with gold, not manpower. Very useful in many situations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

spectralent posted:

Well you need some PBI to stand around looking amazed while the cavalry do their thing.

Someone has to dig the latrines and set up the camp.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Never lowering maint is the opposite of fiscal responsibility, you're throwing away thousands of ducats over the course of a game

Military spending doesn't count. We must be fiscally responsible only when it's not profitable to me or my friends.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Redmark posted:

I think Ming being strong is good, it's just a matter of what gets done with that strength. If Ming blobs a lot it makes playing other East Asian nations a lot harder and is unhistorical, but heavily restricting expansion makes playing Ming itself boring.

Maybe increase the number of regions in China so that due to state pressure there's less strength gained from expansion?

Honestly making China explode more easily would be fine if they made it easier to reunite. Like after gaining enough mandate you just get cores on the whole thing. It's not like the Manchus spent thousands of admin points coring all the provinces, they just took the throne.

Ming are incentivized to not blob to some extent. You lose mandate by having non-tributaries border you, and you gain mandate for having tributaries (who you no longer can eat). Sure, they can still absolutely blob with no issues, but there's at least something there to dissuade blobbing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yami Fenrir posted:

Perhaps a little green flag notifying you of active edicts similar to the claims you have would make the feature a lot more useable.

There is a map mode, but yeah, it's a bit annoying.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Arcturas posted:

Thanks folks. I can micro some garrisons.

One benefit they didn't mention - your armies will not be attacked by natives as they march through uncolonized territory with the -100% uprising policy. It makes exploring the new world significantly safer and easier.

+20 settler growth is really good, especially early game, because it can almost double your base colonization speed, and it also helps to the effects of colonizing in inhospitable terrain.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Node posted:

Unreformed religions don't get the bonus income from gold provinces.

Do they still have the % chance to collapse?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I found this really funny. About a year ago Republics were far and away, without a doubt, better than Monarchies. I'm glad that the dominant government form of the era is better - it should be otherwise it would not have been the government form of so many powerful countries in the game's time span.

Eh, there's something to be said about institutional inertia and diplomacy. Republics tend to be diplomatically isolated, as they cannot form royal marriages and the like, and they take the government type malus on opinion for most nations. It makes sense for republics to be a strong form of government, but also one that doesn't play well with geopolitics in the early stages of the game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Taking the Mandate from Ming is still a trap because I don't see where they've changed how Mandate income works. Taking the Mandate might make Ming partly explode now, but you're still going to have a hugely negative Mandate income from a large neighboring non-tributary Ming, and there's no easy way to peel Ming's own tributaries off them. The changes in this patch are going to help playing in East Asia but tributaries are still kind of unbalanced.

They need to make it so that a country with thr Lost Mandate modifier does not count against the mandate score.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Too Poetic posted:

He rivaled me, who sees that one coming?

The Pope?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

What if tributaries being attacked just forced Ming to send in an Condotierre army? That way you're not facing the whole might of China, and it ends up being a significant amount of protection for small countries. Hell, you could then have Ming interfere in some wars between tributaries since it's no longer such a huge deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It would help if they made the AI smart enough to not throw 10,000 ducats of mercs away (not counting maintenance) in order to protect a single tiny tributary. Like, it would seriously help a lot when fighting against tributaries if the AI actually treated them like they should—only rarely worth fighting over.

Yeah, I personally would like it to be something like a mandatory Condottiere. That way the amount of force that they can send is limited, and is a small increase for a powerful nation, but a very welcome power boost for a small nation. It would make large nations more likely to break the tributary status, and would make conquering smaller tributaries something that can happen without Ming sending endless waves of men.

• Locked thread