Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Playing through my first complete game as Ottomans and holy poo poo did I underestimate how much damage going over 100% overextension would do. By the time it was over 11 countries had gained independence from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Is there a guide floating around about what to do when elected Emperor as a non-HRE country? I just got it as Italy and I'm delighted (not least because achievement) but I'm a bit non-plussed now. Should I be going through the reforms, or trying to enforce religious unity, or trying to screw over Austria as much as possible, or...

I dunno. Treating it like a bunch of free bonuses and carrying on as if nothing happened?

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.

Pellisworth posted:

Up to you. Post a map with religious map maybe? If the HRE is really divided religiously and a mess it might not be worthwhile to spend a lot of energy on it.

However, since you're now Emperor, you can add your provinces to the HRE and it's probably a good idea to add your capital provinces so you're a permanent member. At the very least you can then enjoy the benefits.

A screenshot with the HRE window (showing reforms and such) along with a religious view of the HRE would help

The Reformations took a long time to fire, but Saxony and Bohemia are fully Protestant and Austria's just started the Reformed heresy. Pretty much all the electors is in favour of the second reform, so if I add my provinces to the HRE I could easily pass it.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Poland just released Galacia-Volhynia through rebels and I was really interested to see something radically different going on over there but Crimea and Lithuania both declared wars of conquest almost immediately.

It's a shame - new nations always seem to either be conquered by a neighbour within a few years or get re-annexed by their old rulers.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
My France game just came to a grinding halt when I ended up in three separate wars with pretty much the rest of Europe within the first five years of gameplay.

I went for a quick Brittany war at the start of the game, then Navarra called me into the Aragon conquest, with Aragon allied with Burgundy, Portugal and the Papal States. Even the Burgundian Inheritance didn't help me get a victory. Then England declared a war on Reconquest on me, and when my manpower was almost at nothing Austria also declared, which was when I gave it up for a bad job.

I also appointed my heir as general, where he was amazing, and then the very next day he fell ill and died.

Is this how France games usually start or did I just have a very bad run of luck?

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.

Tsyni posted:

You overextended yourself somewhat. I don't usually make my heir a general unless I am desperate, or if he has low stats, and almost never as France. Why would Navarra call you into a war, you were allied with them? You do want some decent allies as France still. Castile does the job at first. I usually like to take a nice slice out of Aragon before Castile and Aragon join. Poland is another good ally because they can counter-balance Austria easily if they have the PU with Lithuania, and maybe even if they don't.

First thing to do is get a decent ally, like Castile, and retake all your provinces from England. You can easily win this war for the most part because England often gets tied up with Sweden's independence war, you could even wait for that to start and then attack England. After that you're a lot stronger and can conquer the other smaller guys around you.

Yeah, I was allied with Navarra in an attempt to diplo-vassalize them early on. I had a Castille alliance as well, but I couldn't call them in against Aragon and England declared on me right after they declared on Granada so they weren't any help there.

Is Navarra not worth the effort in the early game?

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
I tried France again, this time not bothering with Navarra and heading straight into a gently caress-England start. Unfortunately Castille rivalled me out of the gate so I was stuck with Aragon, who helped me out in my first England war and then married Castille a week into my second. Unfortunately I took a province of Savoy and massively underestimated how much AE taking a HRE province would give me as a non-member so I got coalitioned into hell.

Won't be underestimating them again any time soon.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.

abske_fides posted:

Been trying to do a Bohemia game because I want to make Europe yellow while listening to Gustav Mahler... However, I'm always getting the problem of getting huge coalitions against me even if I'm just vassalizing Saxony after a war for example. Any tips?

I just started my first Bohemia game myself - as well as keeping an eye on AE in peace deals and taking things slow, you want to become Emperor as soon as possible so you don't get those requests for unlawful territory anymore. Those can be an absolute killer.

Saxony actually makes a pretty good ally - I found pushing north into Brandenburg and Pomerania is a good opening position as it gets you naval access. A strong non-HRE ally such as Poland/Lithuania or Scandinavia can do wonders as well.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
My Emperor-Bohemia has just won two big wars but I've got no manpower, three or four loans, and I now share a border with Wien so I have no way of knowing if Austria is gathering troops on the border to attack me or just gathering troops in their capital, which is kinda disconcerting.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
I know the achievement came out with Common Sense but I'm staggered that "The Bohemians" is the fourth least earned achievement in the game according to Steam. More people have conquered Lucknow as Lucca!

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Is there a good "beginner horde" to start off as to get used to the mechanics? I tried a Crimea game but the PLC declared on me pretty much instantly.

Or is it absolutely not worth play a horde game before Cossacks?

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
I just tried a Holland -> Netherlands game and got completely screwed by Austria. They supported my independence with France, so in the peace deal I gave them a Burgundy province to keep them happy and took one of the required provinces off Burgundy myself. And then they immediately broke the alliance and demanded the unlawful territory from me.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Decided to do a quick no-pressure Hejaz game before the patch hits and ended up staying up late to grab Grand Duchy. Goddamn is that a fun start. Whenever I see people talking about interesting starts outside of Europe it tends to be in India or Southeast Asia but the Arabian peninsula is just such a great place to expand and conquer.

Would highly recommend.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.

Poil posted:

Isn't assassination a natural cause of death for monarchs?

I started a game as Austria all smugly worrying if it would be too easy, screwed up immensely and lost a war against Venice. :negative:

Last night I tried a quick England game for "One Night In Paris", Wars of the Roses got averted AND Castile were willing to ally me and enter the war for land. It all went completely wrong.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
So I've been trying to get One Night In Paris. First game I allied Castile and declared a war on France more-or-less instantly, France and their allies exploited the fact that we were attacking from two different directions and destroyed us.

So I started a new game, this time waiting to get Castile AND Austria in, as well as expanding my own lands in Normandy and Ireland. Declared war with about 40k difference between our troops and theirs, and brought my troops down to be closer to Castile.

What ended up happening was Austria sending most of their army off to Ferrara to siege while France made one doomstack with every single troop in their entire coalition and stomped me and Castille, then went back for Austria and stomped them too.

(guys I am starting to think that France is a tiny bit strong)

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.

TITY BOI posted:

They won't declare on me (I'm allied with ottomans and ming), but it's going to be fairly obnoxious to crack, since the ottomans won't join any offensive war due to their 4 loans which they're apparently never going to pay off.

Maybe I'm missing something, but unless you're completely broke couldn't you just gift them the money to pay off their loans?

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
I managed to get a Byzantium game off the ground for the first time but then the first war had me lose the PLC as an ally because they insisted I didn't honour my deal to give them land, when I gave them the only land I could (although it was to Moldavia, not to them directly). Is this working as intended or no?

(not that it would have mattered because Persia sprung out fully formed by like 1470 and became bestest ever buds with the Ottomans)

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.

Star posted:

Is the turn Japan christian-achievement solely based on luck?

There's a random event that fires when you get "discovered" by a European nation which will start turning random provinces Christian. Then you'll occasionally get stacks of Catholic Zealots spawning in. I just let the Zealots march around force-converting Japan until Christianity was the majority then accepted the demands.

Apparently there's like a tiny chance of the event not firing, but for me it happened around 30-40 years after I unified Japan. Once that happens and the Zealots spawn in you can let them do their thing and convert any leftover Shinto provinces later.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
My first game with Cossacks and now with Mare Nostrum has been Denmark, and I'm not sure if it's because there have been new and unfamiliar mechanics both times or if it's just a country with a rough start but I find it monumentally difficult to keep any amount of money at all, what with my provinces making next to nothing and Sweden breathing down my neck the whole time.

Is this just gonna be rough until I can get Sweden integrated or is there something I'm doing radically wrong? I've been following the game's suggested route in attacking Novgorod and the Livonian Order.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Figures that in my Tunis -> Sons of Carthage game that Castile would get the Wedding to fire, ally with an Austria who got the Inheritance, then work on systematically crushing France between them.

Starting to seriously worry about how much of Africa I'm gonna need to annex to pose a threat to Castile/Aragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
That's an issue with Threaten War too. Just a button you can hover over to see their allies and whether they're likely to join for alternate ways of ending up in a war would be brilliant.

• Locked thread