Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PrinceRandom posted:

No they're peasants uprisings. Bengali Peasants

Go to the Expansion and Stability tab. Look at which of your provinces have unrest. Click on the province. See why it has unrest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

Wiz has stated before that he is listening to suggestions. A lot of time they add an set of Ideas to a country when people give them suggestions. I cant think of any good suggestions that wont make the berber countries OP in a player's hands because I am being OCD about them being Barbary Pirates AND resilient in the face of European conquerors.

Give them something like the Ghazi idea the Ottomans had. Triple manpower while fighting defensive wars against other religion groups as a first idea, plus a hefty dose of Defensibility to really wrack up the attrition damage.

VDay posted:

Has the ability to change a country's map color when you start a new game ever been discussed? It's a totally minor thing obviously but I feel like it'd be nice to pick whatever color you want rather than having to stick with the game defaults. And yes I am only asking because I don't like Muscovy/Russia's colors.

Not really. I feel like map color should probably be moved to country_colors.txt, and then they could let us mod that at will.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Greek_Catholic_Church

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

So another development question. I've noticed there is now a cap on buildings per province. Does raising development make this cap go up?

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Buildings

quote:

Starting with the Common Sense DLC each building now requires one free building slot. Some buildings can be upgraded as technology advances. These upgraded buildings don't require an additional slot. The amount of slots a province provides is mostly influenced by terrain and total development of the province:[1]

• +1 for being a city
  • +2 if terrain is farmlands
  • +1 if terrain is grasslands
  • +1 if terrain is drylands
  • +0.1 * total development of province, rounded down
  • -2 if non-core
Example: Paris
Total province development is 28, which gives (28 * 0.1 = 2.8 -> rounded down to 2) 2 additional building slots.
Paris = 1 (city) + 2 (farmlands) + 2 (total province development) = 5

The maximum amount of building slots a city can have is 16, although there are only 10 possible categories of buildings.[2]

Having a lower possible number of buildings than the number of buildings that are already there (because you just conquered it) does not destroy buildings, but it does prevent the construction of any new ones.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

there's so much stuff wow. looks like some buffs to France- AI won't join England if it calls a PU war over France too.

This will be good.

Also, large nations taking more AE is going to cause a forum riot for sure, despite being a great idea.

Donald Duck posted:

Is there a bug with colonists? I'm playing Granada and its 601 days travel time whether I try to colonise Siberia or west Africa.

Save and reload. If your shortest path to a province gets occupied or blockaded, the game has a tendency to bug out and show 601 days until you reload.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

You know what, instead of a +1 diplomat at kingdom and +1 leader at empire I think it would be cooler if you get +1 free national policy slot at kingdom and at empire rank.

That would mean giving huge countries +2MP/month as a reward for being powerful. That'd be real dumb.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

That Vassal/Core rule is gonna be strange. I don't understand why they'd do that.

Core costs haven't been softened either, so gently caress that.

The vassal/core rule is solid. Presumably they want their cores back, they shouldn't be willing to become subject to you.

And core costs have softened, starting around 1630.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

How is it two free mp, an unused free national policy slot wouldn't magically turn into a monarch power boost. It's more dumb right now that most national policies get completely unused and unlooked at it because they are not worth the mp drain and that aristocratic finally looks attractive. This change would keep +1 diplomat and +1 leader ideas attractive and also let players experience national policies that may not be +5% discipline.

No, but it turns into a free national policy slot that is nominally worth 1mp/month. In terms of opportunity cost, it would be exactly as good as giving them +2mp/month. Nobody is ever going to use the free slot to pick a subpar idea, they're all going to pick up the best military bonuses they can, pay no points for them, and be that much stronger. Nakedly rewarding strength with more strength is a dumb way to build a game. +1 diplomat and +1 leaders at least reflects that they need to be in more places at once.

Honestly I'd prefer if they got nothing at all for a title change, except for a cool new title.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 27, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ImPureAwesome posted:

I'm in aachens coalition war against burgandy as England that also includes Austria. Separately, I'm allied to, a recently punched out of France, Toulouse who just got war decced by the papal states who called in austria on their side. What happens to the coalition war if I accept the defensive coa I just got? I would be allied yet against Austria

Nothing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nothing as in no war. There's a hard engine limitation that says you cannot be allied in a war with someone, and simultaneously at war with them. Since you would be both of those things with regard to Austria, when you accept the CtA, you remain outside the war.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If you're not playing iron man it's trivial to change a country's color. Just go into eu4/countries/... open up whatever country you want to play, and color is like the third line. Just simple RGB values.

That's for regular nations anyway, I've never actually used custom nations, so I don't know how to fiddle with that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

VDay posted:

Yeah I only play Ironman now that I'm actually properly into the game, because I'm the kind of baby that wouldn't be able to resist savescumming otherwise. Still, it'd just be a nice little feature, obviously not actually important or deserving of attention when stuff like the huge upcoming patch is on the horizon and being worked on and tested, but something nice to have ~eventually~.

Well then I should clarify that I was using 'ironman' to mean 'unmodded, achievement enabled ironman'. You can still do ironman on modded games, it just won't count for achievements of course.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

i thought they were in 3.

It's shorter than the Bosporus. It's weird I can cross from Trinidad into Venezuela but have to board a fleet to get to Morocco.

Edit: Oh yeah. It was 2.

I played a lot of Aberration even way after EU2 was done.

No it isn't, not by a long shot. Depending on where you measure it, the Gibraltar Straight is something like 15-20km across, and the currents are pretty treacherous to boot. Whereas at the major crossing points at Istanbul and Çanakkale, you're looking at 1km of water.

And yeah, Gibraltar hasn't been cross-able since EU3:NA at least.

"Wiz posted:

Fun Fact of the Day
Somewhere around 40-45% of users have at least one mod activated while playing. This number drops sharply after any major patch (due to mods being broken) but then eventually stabilize back around that level.

Thread is from Tuesday, but I'm actually kind of surprised it's that high. Apparently Custom Nations are the most common too, which I honestly kind of surprising to me, but I'm a big history dork.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 29, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Roadie posted:

It isn't true grand strategy if I can't satisfy my inexplicable need for the rebirth and reign of a thousand-year ultrapowerful Roman Empire.

That's only half the battle. True grand strategy is rebuilding a thousand year Roman Empire, and then watching it get ripped apart by civil strife every 50 years.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

reL posted:

Ok, so, do you have any idea when that calculation is done? I can't remember from which province I issued the move order, but the scenario goes like this:

Army is in Brandenburg's territory; I have military access.
I issue a move order to Nassau, owned by a currently-neutral nation. I am able to issue this move order because I am at war with the emperor.
I make peace with emperor and immediately DOW nation I'm en route to.
Army arrives in province during a state of war; proceeds to tailgate.

I mean, I figure since a day passes between the peace with the emperor, and then war with Mainz, that during that day where I don't have the rights to move to Nassau that it'd cancel out my move order. I guess that's not the case? I'll toy with it.

It's the moment you declare war. If you declare war, any troops not in your territory, a vassal's territory, or on a ship1 get flagged as Exiled. Exiled troops cannot interact with enemy armies or provinces until they return to one of those places. This is done for two reasons: to allow troops in foreign lands to return home after peace is declared (Exiled also gets applied to troops standing in newly-neutral lands), and to prevent the exact sort of thing you're attempting to do.

1Troops in allied territory or uncolonized territory also don't get flagged as exiled upon a declaration of war, but returning to there does not clear the exiled flag.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_warfare#Exile

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 29, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Schizotek posted:

Sons of Carthage

Just be careful about how you finish off the Mamluks. You need to make sure the Ottomans don't get the Conquer Egypt and roll you. Since that mission requires them to hold Jerusalem and for the Mamluks to exist, make drat sure that's the last province that the Mamluks ever own.

Bort Bortles posted:

So for Noble Republics every option is always going to be a 4 a 1 and a 1 in whatever order based on the type of guy? Then I need to re-elect them to give a +1's across the board?

That's how all election-based Republics work.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Another horrendously failed assault: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Rhodes_(1480)

quote:

The last act of the drama was played out in the Jewish quarter of the city. At dawn on 27 July the Turks launched a vigorous offensive and their vanguard of around 2,500 janissaries managed to take the tower of Italy and enter the city. A frenzied struggle ensued. The grand master, wounded in five places, directed the battle and fought with lance in hand. After three hours of fighting the enemy were decimated and the exhausted survivors began to withdraw. The Knights´ counter-attack caused the Turks to beat a disorderly retreat, dragging along with them the Vizier and commander-in-chief. The Hospitallers reached as far as his tent and took, along with other booty, the holy standard of Islam. On that day between three and four thousand Turks were slain.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

If it has the requirement "NOT playing as a released vassal," your strategy isn't going to work. The Basileus achievement has no such restriction, so it's possible.

That's actually incorrect, you must start as BYZ in 1444. It may be possible for some other achievements though.

code:
achievement_basileus = {
	id = 38

possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		tag = BYZ
	}

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

How hard is it to form the Netherlands without using a custom nation? Seems like you're guaranteed to be surrounded by huge great powers unless you get lucky with the Burgundian Inheritance.

I haven't tried it since CS completely changed Burgundy, but it was pretty easy before. The Burgundian Inheritance is actually something of a curse, just because Burgundy tends to be a lot easier to beat up than Austria is. But either way, the way to do it is the same; start as one of the minors, probably Gelre (as a Monarchy they can do RMs, which really helps), butter up France, use them to pounce on Burgundy at an opportune moment, take as many provinces as possible, free any minors you can. Once you've beaten Burgundy once, use the truce to go eat the rest of the Dutch minors.

I imagine it's pretty easy to start as someone like Holland now too, and just get France to support your independence.

As for being surrounded by huge powers, it's not all that tricky to balance. You definitely want Quantity ideas, but you'll be so rich that you'll be able to field an army nearly as large as France's, and forts now give you the strategic depth that the Netherlands so sorely lacked pre-CS.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Apoffys posted:

I've noticed one weird thing, but I'm not sure if it's a bug or new. Three times now I've had my clearly superior fleet blockading a port holding the enemy fleet, and as soon as I give my fleet the order to move away (thus breaking the blockade), the enemy fleet pounces on me. They get quickly crushed, so I have no idea what their motivation for attacking my fleet was, especially since they were content to hide in port up to the moment it looked as if I was moving my fleet away.

The AI might have become more suicidal in this patch, but that behavior is super old.

Bold Robot posted:

If you form the Netherlands as a monarchy, does forming the country convert you to a Dutch Republic?

No, there's a separate event that does that. But if you are a theocracy (Utrecht), then forming the Netherlands does secularize you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Ever heard of the Spanish Armada? :smugdog:

Have you?

The Armada suffered something in the region of 40% losses.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Taking Rome itself doesn't trigger any huge events or anything, but you'll be pretty exposed to a bunch of people who don't like you at all. But if you're allied with say, the Ottomans, then none of them will do anything about it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

VDay posted:

It's 15 separatism/30 years, but that's exactly why sniping Danzig early is so nice. By the time you carve a path out to be able to core it you've got separatism down to 0 and can Westernize the second you hit Admin 10. To be fair I'm only thinking about it coming from playing Muscovy/Russia a bunch, so maybe it ultimately won't make a super huge difference in terms of timing and westernizing. That's mostly just the first legitimately important instance of the new coring rule impacting gameplay that I've run into.

No, especially for a Russian power it won't make a bit of difference, because you can just leapfrog from the Gulf of Finland, down to western Livonia, and then to Danzig.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

pdxjohan posted:

Maybe we should post a devdiary tomorrow about how our designprocess works and why that has improved EU4 beyond our wildest hopes in the last 1.5 years.

I'd be down for this, I loving hearing about your successes over the last few years. Good to know other people think they're as good as we do after all. :v:

At the same time post the EU4 team's vacation schedule, so I can be jealous of all your holiday time again. :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I've always found Poland-Lithuania way too weak anyway. You can just sit on your hands and beat up some hordes, and Lithuania will usually fall apart all on their own. Which sucks, because conflict with Poland completely dominated Muscovite foreign policy, while the hordes were almost a side show.

How early are you going after Riga? The LO tends to stick around a while, and you should be able to core Riga just based on naval range (assuming that's not been buggered up by the colonization/exploration bugs in the beta). That's really the great thing about the new westernization decisions; you no longer need to rush to do it, because it gives you a way to westernize while you're already huge. Keeping up in tech (esp. military) as Muscovy has never been difficult anyway.

And I don't think Novgorod has been buffed at all. You can take way more of their land in one war than you could pre-CS. Pretty sure that's just a cost boost from you also humiliating them, which if I remember the patch notes correctly, also makes other demands more expensive.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

On another note, any tips for beating Portugal to the Cape in a Dutch game?

It's pretty doable, depending on what Portugal does. But you grab exploration ideas second, get to Guyana first, then jump to Africa, St. Helena if available, otherwise one of the trade ports, then down to the cape. You'll usually get there first 50% of the time. IF you don't, just take it from them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

Is there an idea group that's preferable for the Dutch to take first? I've been happy with exploration first whenever I capture a Portuguese island.

The last time I did it I went Humanist first, which worked out nicely. The rich provinces meant large rebels, so the decrease in Nationalism helped. Now I'd probably take Economic, or even Quantity if I happened to roll a crazy military ruler.

nessin posted:

Holy poo poo. Is there some way for AI Bonuses to get turned on in an Ironman game? I've been getting really frustrated the last week as I've been playing Ironman games (bouncing between Poland, Sweden, and Tunis) trying to figure out how in the hell I was getting so slammed and unable to make any headway compared to others I'd seen in LPs and videos. Turns out I finally decided to hover over force limits in my latest Poland game trying to work out how I could face down the 1460 Ottomans with 75k and a 79 force limit, or Muscovy with just Perm annexed and a 48k army with a 54 force limit. Turns out all my saves had AI bonuses turned on in Ironman mode. I created a normal mode game with default settings, then made a new Ironman and the bonuses were turned off in the new game so hopefully they stay off, but I'm nowhere near hardcore/insane enough to keep playing with those AI bonuses. Especially since Lithuania was only building to about 20-25k even with a force limit of 55 and the idea of not having to face down a united Iberian penisula with over 80k as Tunis would be nice.

It certainly shouldn't turn itself on, but if you had it turned on in a previous game, it'll stay on in your new starts, until you go manually flip it off.

But AI bonuses can be really fun, it makes playing a big blob like France or Russia actually challenging.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 2, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So I've discovered why Austria has such a hard time holding on to the Imperial throne: the AIs preference for strong allies means that Austria generally doesn't ally any of the electors. Meaning that it's really easy for Bohemia or the Palatinate to ally with one other, and then win the crown with 2 votes.

Baron Porkface posted:

I've decided that Wars of honor need dynamic names.

War of Jenkin's Ear

War of the Silver beard

War of the Broken Bow

Much better than X war of honor.

Kettle War. Losses: 1 Kettle.

As long as you don't count the drownings. :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TTBF posted:

It's been,a while since I tried this so I wanted to confirm. If I wardec someone from within an ally's borders my troops get exile status until they return to my territory, right? What if they're on transports or in the lands of one of my subjects?

Also a heads up: if you've got papal influence invested as Poland and switch to the Commonwealth you lose all the invested influence.

Troops in your territory, a subject's territory, an allies territory, uncolonized territory, or on a ship do not get mark exiled upon a declaration of war.

However, once exiled, troops must return to either your territory, a subject's territory, or board a ship.

e: corrected to say uncolonized territory.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 3, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man, Europe is so drat broken in this patch. Austria constantly losing the crown, France never retaking the English holdings, Burgundy losing it's unions to negative prestige constantly. Makes me sad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Just started up a Muscovy game for shits and giggles, and 22k men start in Galich for some reason. Supply limit 17. :iiam:

e: And a starting forcelimit of 29. drat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

But indistinguishable from Persia's.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Likely a holdover from EU3, where Scotland was divided along exactly those lines.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, the Emperor always heads the Catholic league.

RabidWeasel posted:

It's so nice to see poo poo happening in Italy now, though so far I've only seen variations on "Italians get fat" and there has been little or no foreign incursion into the region. The usual suspects for blobbing are Savoy, Venice and the Pope.

Yeah, I haven't seen any outside powers get involved in Italy. Austria is always too busy devouring German minors, France is quite a bit more docile and won't even recover it's English cores, and Naples keeps breaking free in my games.

The more games I play, the more I think that the rule about unions breaking on negative prestige really needs to go.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

Would there be benefit to doing a new learning LP for EU4? I feel like so much has changed since the original release, even without DLC.

People ask constantly, if you're in the mood you definitely should.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trujillo posted:

Can anyone tell me why I wouldn't be able to core these or is this a bug?

I have a hunch that it's the blockades (which is ridiculous if true). I was Brandenburg, owned Stolp (Pommerania's eastern-most province) and was trying to take Ostpreussen, couldn't take it because I couldn't core it. The TO was blockading me at the time. Then I guess there was something interesting happening elsewhere, because their fleet left, and I was then able to select Ostpreussen to be ceded in the peace deal.

Jackson Taus posted:

My one concern with playing a Russia game as a tutorial is that I've never played as Russia before. What's the general strategy - take the mission and hit Novgorod first? And then just get a bunch of allies so I can deal with Poland-Lithuania to take all those sweet sweet Orthodox/same-culture-group provinces off of them?

Just look at what Muscovy did historically as a rough guide. You want to attack Novgorod as early as possible. I often wait until the Hordes get embroiled in a war with each other. Then take as much land as you can, making sure that you surround them (meaning nobody else can take land from them during your truce). Poland-Lithuania is strong as balls this time around, so you'll want to be wary about that. If you can get some strong allies, or they get embroiled in a major war, definitely try and pry some provinces off of them because it'll make you much richer, Smolensk in particular is great.

Sweden is much easier to deal with now, because you can just build forts in the northern provinces, scorch earth, and watch their extremely minimal manpower evaporate. I put forts in Narva, Pskov, Novgorod, Olonets and Korelia, which very effectively seals them into the north, and prevents them from aiding their potential allies in the south.

The Hordes are super weak, just watch out for attrition damage, which will sap away at your manpower quickly. You don't want to take too many provinces from them too early (aim to stay above 75% Religious Unity), but definitely feed the Uralic cultured provinces to Perm; they have a core on one already, and they take Religious ideas, so they'll convert them for you. Kazan also has a gold mine province, you'll want to get your hands on that early, and after coring and converting it, get Base Production up to 10 ASAP.

Park your focus on admin points and leave it there for at least 30 years. Take Religious ideas first. It's not necessary by any means, you could get the conversion bonus from Patriarchal authority and decisions, but Religious Ideas are easier, more predictable, and just better in general. Then turn down every single PA event, and collect whatever sweet bonus it gives you instead.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

VDay posted:

I agree with everything you said except for this part. Having high PA is great as long as you can afford it because it's a straight up money for manpower, unrest, and missionary strength trade. Russia will have more money than it needs once you start colonizing Siberia and get those sweet sweet (and random) gold provinces, along with all the trade and production. Even just the unrest bonus from high PA is going to save you more headaches in the long term than that prestige or stab bonus you'll get from turning PA down.

Between the NIs, a full Religious idea set, and 100% PA, Russia basically gets a weaker version of the Humanist idea set for "free".

I dunno, my 1.13 Muscovy game has largely been an exercise in being starved for cash. Mind you that's because I ignored Pol-Lit in hopes they would form the Commonwealth (as always: nope!) leaving me someone strong to fight; I'm just now beginning to push out into Siberia and Westward, and my income is skyrocketing. I should run the math on where the unrest level would put me, it'd be sweet if the Tolerance of the True Faith and Unrest Bonuses meant I could manually reduce autonomy without issue.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

^^^^^ :negative: ^^^^^

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: as far as I know, regiment strength is functionally equivalent to Discipline. So a 700-man unit is effectively operating at -30% Discipline

I think it would technically be -30% Combat Ability. I don't think undermanned regiments take extra damage, they just dish less of it out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Contrecoup posted:

I've had a similar problem of enemies refusing a peace deal the UI said they'd agree to. Nearest I can guess is that a lot of derived stats like war score, diplomatic relations, dance around a but as they're beung recalculated.

Yeah, the AI's willingness to accept a peace is being constantly recalculated, so if you send them a really marginal peace deal (+1 or +2 to accept), it common enough that when they receive it the next day, they've changed their mind.

Elman posted:

Just saw war leader Hungary give France a ton of Burgundian provinces in a war against Austria, causing a massive coalition war. I'm surprised the AI can just dump +80AE on someone like that, it'd really suck if they did it to you.

They can, they do, and it's hilarious (when it happens to other people). It's why you should transfer the occupation of provinces you don't want away.

• Locked thread