Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Just formed Germany as TO->Prussia, I'm the biggest empire in Europe and have the awesome claims that I should be able to grab over the next 30-50 years. It's before 1700. Any ideas for goals more interesting/cool than "lebensraum the gently caress out of Europe with ridiculous space marine soldiers"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Does forming countries prevent you from getting CN achievements? (For Odin, specifically)

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Late to the party here, but I'm honestly really surprised by all the people saying late game content is useless. Personally I'm pretty thrilled about revolutionary factions, since any campaign I play that gets off the ground usually gets to the end.

I tend to play conservatively, though. I push my way to becoming a major power and then pull my punches until 1750, at which point I artificially engineer the Revolution and go HULK SMASH on everyone with the insane bonuses. I can't be the only one who does this, the lategame in EU4 is really fun when it's not just boring cleanup.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Koramei posted:

I'd like it a lot more if the performance didn't take a nosedive by 1700 or so

It does fine for me in the current patch, definitely used to be a lot worse. The lategame takes more time, but that's because I pause more due to having more stuff to manage.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Transmetropolitan posted:

The best reason to play France is to go revolutionary lategame and try to beat Napoleon. So, yeah.

This is the game I literally just finished right now! Except I started as Brittany, so I spent most of the game fighting tooth and nail to restore France from the various assholes who took pieces when I dismantled it. I had the historical borders roughly by the time the revolutionary wars kicked off and even got Napoleon before he was born IRL :v: In addition to massive forcelimits and immunity to war exhaustion, the French Revolution gives you space marine troops (except in morale rather than discipline as with Prussia), so I could finally go into full rampage mode. Kicked in the door to the HRE, destroyed Austria and turned most of Germany into the Confederation of the Rhine. Much like in history, I never managed to truly defeat Spain and Portugal, but at least Britain folded like a wet paper towel. Bonapartist client states over most of Western Europe!

10/10 would play again, I definitely recommend a "French minor into Revolutionary France" campaign.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I haven't played in a long while because of the whole China-unbalancing-the-game situation, from what I see it's still going on. I'm not super attached to ironman though, are there any mods floating around that fix the issue?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Is it just me, or does the AI consistently make completely backwards and ahistorical colonization choices?

The Caribbean is consistently a hotly contested area, as it should be, but the continental New World gets silly. Especially with England and Castile/Spain I keep seeing them grabbing whatever colonial areas are the most out of the way for their trade routes, rather than the best ones. Britain goes for South and Central America while Spain hits up the US/Canada region. Minor colonizers are also strange, for example Norway usually starts colonizing at some point but instead of going for Canada they tend to pick up Colombia for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
In that situation you're definitely going to have a hard time. Sweden doesn't require a very specific diplomatic setup to materialize, unlike your typical threatened minors, but sometimes the stars align just right to put Denmark in a strong position and ruin your chances. You got pretty unlucky here, third time's the charm!

• Locked thread