Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the AI is a little retarded. It's loving infuriating that it's easier to peace out of most wars on day 1 than it is after fighting (and winning!) a few battles because then all those WE STILL GOT EM BOSS modifiers kick in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the heck do I install the 1.13 patch.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frontspac posted:

Find Eu4 in your library, right click and go to properties. In that window, go to the Beta tab, then select the 1.13 beta from the drop down list.

The dropdown doesn't seem to work.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Steam beta broke dropdowns :smugjones:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah I'm not even sure what I am saying needs to be done, but the annihilation combat and morale really should change. I say different boats because of cost/utility/effectiveness reasons. Muslims used galleys and Dhows; the Chinese used gigantic Junkers; Africans, Pacific Islanders, and "Primitives" all use a variety of smaller generic vessel. The galleys that Muslims use were used for pirating and combat and often traveled on them too. Natives should get one boat for everything, but can only do one thing at a time with it or something :v:

Natives only get cogs, Chinese tech group has heavy ships that give trade power (less cost-effective than regular light ships, of course), muslims have galleys that give trade power. Or something.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

National focus is for scrubs.

Also, Florence/Tuscany can now choose to elect a de Medici on election, who doesn't cost RT and has random stats. Awesome. Although he died and I didn't get the option so maybe that's a one time thing I missed out on.

And wiz, please, fix the thing where sometimes mashing spacebar while autosaving makes the game stop recognizing keyboard input at all.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 2, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a lot of changes to get a system that does pretty much the same thing as now, in effect.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

PU technicalities

I mean yeah I'm sure any old IRL monarch would rather live in Versailles, but that wouldn't mean all of the Hungarian nobles and administrators move to Paris with the King. Plus can you imagine how loving irritating it would be if you tag switched every time you managed to PU a nation that was technically superior.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The coalition mapmode really sucks because people at -0 and people at -50 AE are almost the same color, until they actually join a coalition, then they light up. It should color nations yellow or something when they hit -30 AE.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sorced posted:

The ottomans learn the hard way that annexing 120 development worth of HRE land in one shot might not be a good idea. Also 1 million manpower is a lot this patch.

e: At least they kept their hre land.

I think my new goal of this campaign will be to make the ottomans a part of the hre.

Now I want to try to be a heathen prince in the Empire, lol. It should be possible to island hop the Mediterranean for the coring range and steal some land off of Venice when they inevitably get attacked by Ottos and get their fleet wiped by the 300 galley Ottoman deathfleet that always somehow forms by 1480.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If the mesoamericans didn't want to get wiped out they should have taken exploration first and westernised early.

This.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Italian cultures will still be yellow instead of red though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like that Protestantism and Reformed now both have the same flexible bonuses gimmick, but Reformed is more rigid and stronger and Protestant is more varied but weaker. Also they made Papal Influence convert to Bonus Church Power when you go Protestant. Not sure if they did that for bonus Fervor.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They also added a couple of better papal boons as well.

Now I just wish they'd give the last few remaining 'boring' religions some freaking events and mechanics.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That area of the map is insanely annoying because no matter which nation you pick, the other 4 or 5 will rival you and ally eachother and you just sit there for 50 years

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

So is the way to expand within the HRE to vassalise neighbours and annex them that way? Is straight-up conquering provinces from people too much AE?

Usually yeah. It's better to slowly vassal feed one or two relatively small nations, especially if they used to be big but got pwned by coalitions, so they have lots of cores to return.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

- It is once again always possible to transfer occupations to warleader, but AI might not do so unless they have good reason to.

:worship: In the HRE, you sometimes fight someone you don't immediately border. If your based allies immediately siege everything, then they can't transfer occupation and you can't take territory or vassalize them, which didn't happen often that I wanted provinces that far away but it is insanely ridiculously frustrating when it happened

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

What's the new threshold for a March being "too big" in terms of total development (used to be 60 base tax IIRC)?

It's still 60 IIRC but that's only to make them a march. They can be expanded past that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Italy apparently has tier one mercenaries in the 1800s.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

A couple of gripes about allied warfare AI, these are nothing new but it'd be nice to have them tweaked at some point. Allied armies just don't seem to coordinate with each other well or at all.

1) Dogpiling on one or two forts, way more troops than are needed to siege it effectively, eating huge attrition and tying up armies that would be more effective doing literally anything else.

2) No reaction to nearby armies engaging in battle. Sometimes the allied AI will react and come help, often not. It's really frustrating to watch a 60k French deathstack kill you and your allies ~20k stacks one by one because neighboring armies just sit there and watch. If the allied armies moved to participate it'd be an easy win, instead they often stay spread out and let themselves get wrecked piecemeal.

Once and a while you also see a tiny stack just suicide itself into a larger one, even when there's no allies near by to reinforce. It's insane.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kersch posted:

In my current game when the league war ended and Protestant became the official religion of the HRE, it made Cornwall the emperor, which owned enough on its own. But now all of the electors have wiped each other out and nothing exists that can elect a different emperor and Cornwall is refusing to appoint new electors. So they have de facto permanent HRE inheritance even though only 1 reform is passed

Annex them and see what happens

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So what's the best army composition for hordes?

They can have 100% cav in an army so if you can afford that it's probably a good choice

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Western nations with a capital in North and South America should get bonus events that give them free development because of immigrants or something.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'd almost prefer it to be you had to improve your colonial province to X level (somewhere between 5-10) before you could send another colonist out. Anything to slow down the speed of colonial establishment.

:whitewater:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

ok what's going on here? I ended up abandoning a game because my Genoa conquests of north africa were totally useless due to the overseas penalties. But this Italian dude seems to have conquered a bit of north africa and is not getting the penalty. Their capital is in Sicily does that some how make north africa not count as distant overseas? I thought the only way to avoid that is to conquer a huge strip from the balkans through turkey and the middle east and egypt. Can anyone explain this wizardry ?

Within a certain range of your capital (300 units maybe?) nothing counts as distant overseas.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's great for really small kingdoms/republics, insanely horrible for large empires. So it's just bad period since they unlock at tech 22 and if you have under 30 provinces that late in the game IDK what to tell you

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish they'd take out Persia's cores, and replace them with a bunch of Persian rump states that don't go away. But I'm not sure if this is possible with the way cultures and cores work right now. It's just silly to me that such a massive country can form out of rebels. It's like, you would never see fully-formed France pop out 150 years after they'd been annexed. It would be a bunch of tiny countries. I know that's because French culture has a million sub-cultures in it but still.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not whining about Persian cultures not really being represented or whatever, I'm whining that they haven't quite finishing break up the whole world into a disgusting mess of Primary Culture cores that take forever to go away and make big countires explode into confetti. It's really cool whenever it manages to happen to Lithuania, Ottos, Ming, Hungary, eastern part of Timurids ETC.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also re: Maritime vs Trade. I always take Maritime over Trade, just because the bonuses from Confirm Thassolwhatever are really good to have. Also, if you really want, you can always repick that slot into trade later. Big spend of MP though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IMO trade efficiency is a lot more important early-mid game but usually when I take maritime or trade I already dominate at least one major node so it ends up not being as effective as i'd like

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabidWeasel posted:

Everything to do with continents in EU4 sucks. I just wanted to form Arabia as Karaman, but the jerks wouldn't let me move capital (to culture shift) since Anatolia is classed as Europe :mad:

They should absolutely let you move capital between continents when you have a land bridge.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IMO keep your boats around for opportunistic wars against like, Brittany or Denmark or something. Also it only takes one war to make the English weak since the Scotland buffs so you'll be needing those boats pretty soon anyway.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ideas system is cool but monarch points being used for tech and ideas and development and leaders makes them get stretched pretty thin and it can be annoying rather than strategic sometimes. But hey whatever.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Another Person posted:

Is there a reliable way to get revolutionaries? I can never seem to get them when I want them. And I ALWAYS want them, because a Republic is better than a Kingdom any day.

Religious events has spawns some pretty frequently. There's a few ultra-rare events that also make you a republic.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evilmiera posted:

How do I change from one republic type (the one I imported as ) to another, if my country's super huge?

You can tank your RT and then take Religious and let the eventual Revolutionary rebels win to get to regular republic from Merchant republic. Merchant is the best though by far so IDK why you'd bother.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tahirovic posted:

Because noble republics rule, and as a sunni who can't get PUs it's even more worth it.

Did you try just taking religious ideas lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is Ironman

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koramei posted:

What map mods are those?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=317529391&searchtext=flat

I'm playing Scotland. Took the rest of Ireland from England, stole the Isles and Iceland from Norway for funsies, and just finished annexing Northumbria. Unfortunately I have 40 something loans for a total debt of over 1k ducats. My interest is just barely lower than my income. Would I be better off paying thsee things or just like, eating the bankruptcy modifier for 20 years or whatever. Because I probably won't be able to do poo poo for the next 50.

These loving pretend rebels are going to give me a 5/5/5 general but my vassal's 1-stack won't stop unsieging stuff. gently caress OFF MEATH

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 26, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone Incognito posted:

If you go into your vassal management screen I think you can click Enable Scuttage or something that stops them from supporting you with troops. Or does that only work while at war and not against rebels?

Only with war. Eventually the rebels sieged my capital and the vassal couldn't siege it back, finally ending the rebellion. Good god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PittTheElder posted:

Happens all the time. Austria gets into a couple of minor wars, Ottomans attack Genoa first (because of the Conquer Kaffa mission), then gets rolled by Austria's allies.

It was more the still-living Byzantium and balling Circassia.

• Locked thread