Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I just bought 2 previous expansion packs at full price last night so I was "up to date" for today :(

If you asked in the thread, they almost always discount previous DLC when releasing a new one. Sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wiz, there's a bug with movement locking. If you're locked heading to a province, you can just click to move to that province again and it will instantly unlock you, letting you move to wherever you want.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

reL posted:

I mean, I know The Ottomans are easymode, but it's ~1550 and I'm on par with tech, have egypt, levant, balkans, and I"m knocking on Austria's door. All cored, no revolt issues, almost 3 idea trees complete... and I've also invested a decent amount in development due to having so many MP and not wanting to take techs too early.

I don't get what the fuss is about. I can see the issue for Muslim/Asian/American nations, but so far as a still-Ottoman-group Ottomans I'd say I'm doing better than I was playing this same campaign a week ago.

This is actually impossible. MP costs were increased for annexing, coring, and development was added. There's no way you're further ahead -- unless you got better kings.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Good to see that England no longer gets beat half to death by France and becomes completely irrelevant for the rest of the game.

Now it's the other way around!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yes, I suppose Europe being overpowered previously wasn't enough. Let's give them more advantages. Gameplay should not be more important than our Eurocentric vision of the world :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I usually just jam enough provinces into my TC for it to give me a merchant then move on to a different area.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Saxony usually has problems passing reforms due to the weak emperor malus to votes.

Also AI France usually gets curbstomped by England and Burgundy now, but as a person, France is maybe stronger now than they were before. This is the state of the union at 1466.

Brittany is my vassal, my allies are Pope, Austria, Castille. Austria and Castille have been fairly useless, joining a total of 0 of my wars so far. I have a coalition forming, but I'm about to press my claims and conquer all of Naples in one or two wars.

Wish me luck.

EDIT: oh, and put your focus on administrative right off. You really need the points nowadays.

I'm hoping that without the Diplo sink of annexing a ton of vassals, I can just colonize really early while also warring in Europe.

EDIT2: Does France get any interesting events for staying Catholic or am I free to convert whenever I want?

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 11, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

TTBF posted:

I did an Ironman game starting as Tyrone and luckily managed to get in a good position where I had all of Ireland. During this I noticed that any nation that had a favorable view of me would get a defensive attitude towards me the second we became allies. This was true for nations that were neutral towards me as well. In one weird instance England kept pestering me for an alliance and as soon as I accepted they went hostile. Castille, England, France, Aragon, Burgandy, Denmark, Sweden, The Papal States, Venice, and Portugal all got defensive towards me upon becoming my ally. I don't play European nations often but I'm fairly sure that's not how it's supposed to work. Is it some sort of weird rivalry thing where they notice I'm allied to a rival (although some of them I wasn't) or is it a bug? I don't think any of those nations had anything to fear from a five province Tyrone.

Defensive attitude does not mean afraid of you. It means they are allies, but they don't plan on helping you in offensive wars because your interests don't meet up with theirs + you are too weak. If they were scared of you it would be "threatened" not defensive.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

VDay posted:

It's funny seeing everyone say that France always falls apart now. I'm around ~1620 in my Russia game and it might be the blobbiest game I've ever played/seen. France not only survived but managed to expand and controls basically all of western europe except for Spain, which is controlled by Spain/Portugal.

I mean, even a lovely country like Theodoro occasionally wins out against Crimea, so I don't know how France winning in a single game surprises you. But I'm willing to say that unless Burgundy declares on England for Calais early on, the simultaneous wars with both England and Burgundy usually beats France. It's happened in about 5 of the games I've started so far out of 7.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I find people are generally friendly if we have common rivals and are roughly equal in power. After that point I usually backstab them so I don't know how sustained alliances work

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't know if I've ever really tried to use them to hurt someone. Basically I see my Power Projection dipping to 50 or 49 and just keep throwing more light ships into my enemies home nodes until I can humiliate someone else.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I really hate increased coring cost as a mechanic. I always think "maybe a northern Africa game could be fun" and then I look at my lovely rulers, my high tech costs, and the absurd cost to core just a few provinces and restart in a different area.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't know, Trujillo. In every single game I've played so far, the Ottomans have failed to take Constantinople -- by 1500. Maybe if their AI isn't lovely they run away with things, but I haven't seen them do anything whatsoever.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why does forming Italy still remove Ambrosian Republic. :smith:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The hotfix that is supposed to fix bugs introduced the first major bug for me, in that my game will no longer launch. :smith:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Just look at North America, all the dark red is 1/1/1 development.

there are 6 farmlands total and a couple grasslands/dry-lands in the whole of North America, but none are in convenient places for natives to start building up if they ever want to meet Europeans.

ha ha ha that looks miserable and also looks like colonizing was nerfed somewhat?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SkySteak posted:

So I was looking at Common Sense and I was seeing a lot of reviews saying that either the AI hasn't adjusted to the new systems put in place, that coring/diplo annex costs are extremely high and that there are ton of bugs. Would it be better just to hold off on this until they patch it because it sounds like a bit of a broken mess right now.

As long as you're in Western/Eastern tech groups, coring and annexing costs are really not bad. Just set your focus on admin day 1 if you plan on conquering a lot.

Playing other tech groups: have fun rolling a bad leader twice in a row and never having points to do anything with.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Is it possible for a conquistador to actually find the Seven Cities or is it just a cocktease?

You can find all kinds of cool stuff. The fountain of youth, the seven cities, etc.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does the cost go over your cap or does it just stop at 999? That's what I thought, at least.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Elman posted:

Thanks for the advice for Kongo, I'm trying it again and it's going much better:

There's still a lot to do but I think I'm on the right track. Hopefully I won't hit a wall in northern Africa and end up 20 provinces short from finishing :ohdear:

can you link to that advice? I have no idea how to kongo.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Is there no way to new your current ruler in an election when you have a Dutch Republic?

put the.. orangists? in control

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Playing Ironman should include the risk that a Paradox employee takes control of an AI for however long they feel like playing, without making it known to the player.

most of them probably suck too

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think loans are for multiplayer use.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Node posted:

Oh. Someone was making GBS threads on loans earlier and I am still riled up about it.

Yeah, i know loans are good.

Someone was trying to offer loans to the AI and that doesn't work, i think.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I pass all of them, all the time, and drat the consequences. I like to get a modifier page as huge and ridiculous as possible. Sometimes I delay them for a few years but I never don't take them.

This is the correct and good way to play.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wonder if EU4 is ever going to have good naval transport. Having to dock -> load -> undock -> unload each time is annoying. Sure, you could autotransport, but that takes like 3x as long.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Node posted:

Yeah the way autotransport works is kind of annoying. I wish it was changed so it would automatically pick them up from the shore, instead of acting like you right clicked the troops and had them walk on/off the shore.

That's what I mean, yeah.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was planning on just playing a slow-paced game and becoming Prussia because I've never actually done that yet, but about 30 years in I get elected Emperor. Guess I'm staying Catholic for the foreseeable future.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

You're an elector so if you go Protestant you'll probably be the Protestant League leader, and thus automatic emperor when you win the war.

But it would remove my emperorship for a while, right? I don't want to be 20 over the force limit.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You'd think as the Emperor I would get an extra Diplomat or something but I'm still stuck with 2. I haven't been HRE since the duchy/kingdom update stuff.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Being in the HRE is godawful now that I'm used to 3 diplomats in 1444.

Yeah especially since HRE needs more diplomats than others. So Prussia can be the emperor, right? As long as I win the league wars.

If I form Germany after being Prussia does it remove any of my bonuses or do I just get the cultural union stuff, too?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Being Emperor lets you be a Kingdom while still in the HRE, so you should be able to get your third diplomat once you get enough development.

How much development is that, actually?

Oh, and I haven't played much in recent expansions. Coring poo poo is so expensive. I'm so far behind on tech already. I guess all my 1/x/x leaders haven't been helping, but I've been admin focused since the beginning and still can't keep up.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh, if I form Germany I leave the HRE. Oh well, guess I'll just be the Prussian Emperor. Thanks for the tips.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

It doesn't remove Emperorship so you can immediately re-add the provinces.

When I looked at the decision, it definitely looks like I would instantly leave the HRE when i took it. I'm actually not sure if you can even take the decision as emperor.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I actually had 60-some prestige from a massive amount of wars early on, but I got 3 events that were like "lose prestige or lots of monarch points" so we all know which one I took.

Is feeding vassals the best way to expand again?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

there's only one choice there, yeah. prestige is not a real resource.

my feeling is that you want to have a mix of direct expansion & vassal-feeding, so that you can avoid going completely admin-bankrupt. note that vassal feeding is just as costly as direct coring (but in diplo instead of admin), and it still ends up giving you stuff at 75% autonomy.

Yeah but diplo points are (still?) virtually useless. Come here Denmark, you're about to give me Holstein :getin:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Roadie posted:

You can be Emperor without actually being in the HRE, and if you're Emperor you can add your own provinces into the HRE.

On the wiki page it says you can't form Germany if you're the Emperor, but I'm not sure if that's outdated info or not.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If I go from Germany to Prussia, I assume I'll lose the cultural union. Hm. I really want to just get all of the bonuses of both :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sorced posted:

More importantly you cannot form prussia as germany in the first place.

Incredibly lame.

So I'm limited to going... Prussia -> win the league wars -> Germany -> take back the emperorship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you want a German cultural union why not unify the HRE?

I like Germany's color more than HRE.

• Locked thread