Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

So the game tells me I have +-x% chance of getting a heir for this or that reason, but does anyone know what the base chance of getting an heir is? I decided to try out the new parliament mechanics by playing England and now have lots of thorny roses making this a somewhat urgent question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Spaseman posted:

So even though the battle will take place in a province without a river, if the icon says that a river flows between the provinces, I will always get a penalty for attacking?

No, if the attacking general has a higher maneuver score than the defender there will be no penalty for crossing rivers or straits.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Koramei posted:

Oh wow you can actually get permanent modifiers? I've explored the entirety of north and south america like 3 times since that patch and never got one.

Yes, but it's rare.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

I dunno about that, but could be. I'm Portugal so I suspect I own less than 20 provinces myself, but if you count subjects then yeah I have a ton. Can you never become a republic if you have more than 20 provinces?

A few countries have historical events (English Civil War, Ambrosian Republic, etc) that allow you to switch. Countries without such events (and 20+ provinces) can only turn republic with the help of revolutionary rebels, and those are rather rare, particularly in the early game.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Chickpea Roar posted:

It should have swapped my ideas in the beta too, according to the txt file. Other people on the paradox forums had the same problem, but not every time, so it's some obscure bug without a clear cause.

According to the Bug Report forum, the cause is having a majority of your idea groups being admin groups at the time you switch tags.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Is the Lucky modifier applying to battles? Like LOL LUCK BONUS I just rolled 10 straight 9s in a row! Or is it just a bonus to everything? How does it work?

Despite the name, Lucky Nations do not get to cheat on die rolls. At least not in battle, I think there are a few nasty events that have lower chance to fire for Lucky Nations. Mostly it's just bonuses to lots of stuff: -1 national unrest, +1 yearly legitimacy, +33% manpower recovery speed, etc. The full list is here. The bonuses are actually toned down a bit these days. They used to get +1 to the shock and fire score of all their generals and I think also a bonus to moral, these days their bonuses at least does not give them a direct advantage on the battlefield.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 9, 2015

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Buildings don't cost monarch points any more, do they?

No, but if you want three buildings in each province, you'll have to spend quite a lot on development to get more building slots.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

So, small patch out today:

quote:

- Fixed a game freeze caused by client states that were annexed under certain circumstances.
- Fixed "oldautosave" and "olderautosave" always saved to cloud as 50MB files.
- Fixed an issue where the AI would refuse to sue for peace due to conflicts between cede province and release vassal logic.
- Fixed a rare case where AI would 'dance' with its armies caused by attached units.
- Fixed an issue with settings/save game compatibility in 1.14.
- Increased base AE slightly.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Stream with Wiz and DDRJake about the features of the new expansion starts in 15 minutes. http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

There's also the fact that you can always protectorate a country in a single war. Doesn't matter if it's a OPM with three development or Mega Ming with 3000. One 100% peace deal is sufficient to subjugate them.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Bamford Brownstone posted:

Paradox is currently streaming on twitch.tv and Wiz is currently showing the updated randomized new world. Also they found the "West Indies"
http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

It also seems they have handed out keys to the big EU4 streamers/Youtubers. Quill18 has uploaded episode one of a Cossacs playthrough and Arumba is currently streaming.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

I just saw the five minutes of Arumba's stream that were linked here, and saw that Uzbek didn't have free reinforcements. But maybe he was just looking in the wrong spot.

It's now part of the government type rather than horde ideas. This is a screenshot from when Arumba upgraded his government rank:

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Patch is out tomorrow to compete with the launch of Just Cause 3.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Fuligin posted:

There are also new advisor packs, right? Any news of more music?

There's supposed to be a Sabaton music pack for fans of Swedish metal.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

That's fair, but Merchants/Burghers are still way too strict in needing 10 Development or 5 Trade Power. It fucks anyone outside of Europe fairly hard.

As in, well gently caress I have to spend hundreds of MP boosting a province to 10 Dev because otherwise the Burghers are throwing a fit and provinces that fit their criteria are extremely few.

Or don't play a republic. Only in republics (excluding merchant and noble republics) do the merchants have any expectation of getting land.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Loezi posted:

Anyone have recommendations for good and at least mostly up to date video tutorials for a beginner? I know Arumba has some stuff but that's from 2013.

Bought the base game and few DLCs for a friend and there is only so much I can teach him via the Steam chat.

Bane Williams recently uploaded the first two videos in a tutorial series. There are presumably a lot more to come.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 28, 2015

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Koramei posted:

Anyone know if you get African adviser portraits with the DLC? I don't see it listed anywhere.

You get guys like this:

Not entirely sure if those are new or not.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I really think there should be some limit on how many free forts the AI gets.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Just to be clear, my allies need to have decided on their own that they want the target's provinces, right?

That is, I cannot actively do anything to entice them into a given war besides accumulating favors and raising trust (and maybe financing them to get them out of debt, if applicable)?

Yes, if you have the right DLC you can go to this tab in the diplomatic view to see what provinces they are interested in:

You can also go to that tab in the diplomatic screen for your own country and click on provinces to tell the AI that you want them. If your ally calls you into their war they are quite likely to give you a few of those provided you have actually done significant work in the war. Be careful about expressing interest in provinces your ally is also interested in as the AI has figured out that countries with conflicting interests are not natural allies.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Ok, did I miss a big change to protectorates? They are still supposed to give you half their trade power, right? I'm asking because I decided to play a Kongo game, and after westernizing I protectorated all the countries in the Malacca and Moluccas trade nodes to funnel trade into Zanzibar.

Except they are not actually giving me any trade power:

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah giving your occupied provinces to someone else is also really useful if you're vassal feeding. If your vassals have a claim and you don't, then you get less AE for giving the province to them instead of taking it for yourself.

You still save diplo points in the peace deal doing it that way but when it comes to the AE:

1.17 patch notes posted:

Wargoals for claims are no longer reducing AE.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

The best learning nation is Ethiopia, surrounded by weaker countries at the start, with equivalent powers further South, they're in a perfect position to mess with India and SE asia in the midgame and the Ottomans provide a nice final boss. Being religiously isolated also forces you to learn how to better manage expansion and unrest too.

Ethiopia is an interesting challenge once you already know the game, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough. Unless they've gotten a lot of boosts since I did my Prester John run a newbie would most likely walk away from a Ehtiopia playthrough with the impression that money is THE most important resource in the game.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm not very god at EU4 so I'm not sure I understand. If I set up a colony in Africa, even if I end up next to a Euro colony I wouldn't be able to westernize because it'd be a trade company, right? So is the strategy to even further leapfrog around Africa and in to north Africa or something to find a little wedge where I can camp next to someone? Or something else I'm missing? Thanks in advance :)

When the 1.16 patch was released the AI would turn all its African provinces into states instead of trade companies so you could indeed westernize off African colonies. Unless there's a trick I'm missing in all patches before and after 1.16 Africa is just a stepping stone to South America. Grabbing a province next to a western colonial nation will allow you to westernize. If you start in the far east crossing the Bering Strait and working your way down the American west coast could be faster.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

Are there any recommended lets play type play throughs for newbies to read? There's ones in the OP of the CK2 thread and the LP archive but I couldnt see anything listed for EU4.

Ive done all the tutorials the game offers and tried to play a recommended beginner start but want to see how some people who know what they are doing play.

Quill18 made a short tutorial LP with Castile a couple of months back.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Soon, building fortifications in provinces with defensible terrain will not be a big mistake:

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/760024135762411520

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Sadly there is no map mode that shows truces.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

This may not be relevant if there is a bug, but you really shouldn't look at your target's diplo screen as that only tells you if they have a truce with you. Look at your own diplo screen to see if you have a truce with them, alternatively mouse over the truce alert tab thingie.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Maybe the focus is on buildings or development? Christian IV was quite fond of founding cities.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Who was it that claimed galleys no longer had any chance against heavies?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Also I was expecting all french culture to be accepted but it's not.

Cultural unions are no longer a thing, instead any country that reaches empire rank will accept all cultures in the culture group their primary culture belongs. to.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

snoremac posted:

Is a vassal at 100% liberty desire seconds away from fighting for independence? Aragon supported Portugal's independence the moment my (Morocco) troop count plummeted in a war. I currently have 11k troops, Aragon have 26k, Portugal have 2k. I'm allied with the Ottomans, if that means anything, and have no other vassals. 2 months have passed since 100% LD was reached. I can't afford to buy mercenaries to scare Portugal off right now - I've already got about a dozen loans and the maintenance costs would bury me. I can only wait patiently for a few years for my manpower to recover so I can recruit new troops, or at least that's the only thing I can think of. Is an independence war imminent?

Maybe. For the purpose of liberty desire the game only considers the strength of a vassal and its allies vs your strength, but the AI will usually also assess the strength of your alliances before declaring war. If you've managed to snag alliances with the likes of the Ottomans or France that might scare them off. They will also be unlikely declare war while having high war exhaustion/debt and if they still have a truce with you from the subjugation war you have until the end of the truce to build up your strength.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

To elaborate: The ability to move your trade capital, or Main Trade City , independently was introduced in Wealth of Nations. Without Wealth of Nations you will have to move your actual capital. In either case it will be one of these buttons:

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Dang, the patch RIP'd my current game. Says my save is ironman and uses DLC that's no longer active :(

In Steam, right click EU4->properties->Betas choose 1.18.4 in the drop down menu.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

How on earth did I take territory over there then? It wasn't that long ago - the patch before Queen regencies were a thing. Is there some trick I'm forgetting? I don't know how else this achievement is possible.

Probably by the rule that on your home continent you can core provinces that border a vassal even if it's outside your coring range. Once you have a core in the area you should also be able to integrate the vassal.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

awesmoe posted:

e: just to confirm - it doesn't matter how much trade power I have in a node if I'm not actually steering with a merchant, right? Getting those sweet indian trade nodes is useless if I've only got 2 merchants (except for building the trade companies to get the merchants, but you know what I mean)

Maybe? Even if you don't have a merchant steering your trade power will contribute to pulling trade out of the node. Depending on who has merchants in the node and where they are steering your trade power could be helping to move trade in a direction you want, or it could help funnel trade to your worst rival.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I think my Aragon campaign is off to a good start:

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 9, 2017

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Mandalay posted:

Do you still lose prestige from unowned claims?

No, but you do lose prestige from having Uncontested Cores. An Uncontested Core is any of your core provinces that are not owned by you, your subject, or someone you have a truce with or are at war with.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Italy has the best galley bonus I think, so I would go with tons of galleys with some heavies mixed in depending on how many can you afford (more heavies is always better but not cheap at all - try to have at least as many heavies as they have)

Also please note that you will probably have to go over force limits to stand a chance of beating Ottomans or Spain in naval combat and going over force limits with lots of heavies will bankrupt you quick

While more heavies = better has been true, with the latest tweaks to naval combat it is no longer so. When fighting galleys in inland seas, heavies are now effectively fighting at 3 to 1 odds against opponents that do double damage. Heavies are still tough enough to take quite a few galleys with them, but in the end they will lose:

Given that galleys are cheap while heavies are decidedly not, a Mediterranean power should not even consider building a single heavy until they are ready to expand into the ocean proper.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Activating the -10% development cost one in the state where you intend to spawn an institution with development seems like a no-brainer.

• Locked thread