Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Poil posted:

Is it just me or do estates get all the extra influence from getting more provinces when you conquer or annex land they're on but their loyalty remains the same as if you hadn't just given them 5+ provinces?

Sounds about right. The estates still control the province, no matter which country owns it, so when you annex provinces and "inherit" an estate you're not giving them anything. It really sucks gameplay wise and they should give a little leeway after annexing territory where it's cheaper to pry estates off of your new land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Traxis posted:

Anybody else have this issue with water in game?

Zoomed in:

Zoomed out:

In motion it looks even worse because it flickers as I zoom in/out. I played around with the graphics settings as well as my driver settings but nothing fixes it. Map/water graphics mods don't change it either.

IIRC that's just how the map LODs work. It's like that so it's not displaying dynamic water at the highest quality for the entire world's coastline when you're zoomed out. It will stop displaying dynamic water around the smaller spaces first, so places like greece will look really bad. The distance could be increased a bit though because as you've pointed out it's quite noticeable.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 6, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

TO in my games seems to be doing well. Every time I ally poland they seem to reject the PU over lithuania, declare on TO+LO, and get their asses kicked so hard that even moldavia outguns them.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I just had a stack of pretenders 1/4 of the way to enforcing when they took a wrong turn at one of my border provinces and dove straight into another country's mountain province with twice as many men as they had. It'll take me all of the 14 years left of the regency to pick my jaw up off the floor from seeing that decision.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Did they say they fixed fort rules? I just had an army break siege and walk from a fort, past a fort, then on to a different fort that was adjacent to another fort. How many loving forts do I need to stop these people?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Average Bear posted:

any 1.14 byz tips? Poland's retard AI just isn't cutting it anymore.

are they rejecting the PU over lithuania and then getting destroyed when they inevitably attack the teutons? every run i've tried that relies on poland that's been semi-successful out of the gate has crashed and burned because of that. hell, even when they take the PU they get wrecked sometimes, lith always seems to get some random revolt at the worst time. even worse is that the ottomans have a common rival with bohemia in austria so the czechs join in with them too. what a loony update for random starts.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

az posted:

How do you even deal with the war exhaustion and call for peace :psyduck:

He was down to -91% warscore for a while there, but he used that as an opportunity to show how the enemy can't send you negative stab peace offers if your own rebels took any land they occupied. He eventually won but he wasn't quick enough to grab istanbul.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

DeeEmTee posted:

You basically have to restart until you can ally Timurids on day 1 and Uzbek on day 2.

I did that but once muscovy declared on me the timurids had somehow disbanded all of their army save for 10k infantry after vassalizing tabarestan and bringing themselves into a war with QQ. Uzbek decided to impale themselves on Oirat's 5 shock general so they were toast by the time they were needed. I have the worst luck with allies. Whenever I'm facing these nations they're rock solid but as soon as I ally them they implode.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

In SP it's kind of pointless to mark provinces as vital unless you want your vassal to fabricate claims or unless you're already in a war that you aren't the leader of. If you mark anything while at peace you'll get hosed diplomatically because the provinces you want are probably someone else's vital provinces and you'll have to unclick all of them to get an alliance for example.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Redmark posted:

First time playing outside Europe: what's the strategy on dealing with big tropical jungle forts? My force limits aren't that high, so it seems like if I get bad luck with disease (which seems to happen every time, is there a tropical bonus for it or something?) my stack will get murdered by attrition before the fort can fall (it starts at like -70%).

My solution to this is to keep a vassal around (doesn't have to be the same one, you can absorb and then acquire a new one as needed) that will attach to one of your stacks and ruin their own manpower for you. The level 3 forts are a huge pain if you haven't gotten cannons yet.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Does anyone know of a UI mod that allows you to select any map mode without having to gently caress around with categories of scrolling menus? I don't understand why they didn't keep it the same way where you could trade the minimap for map mode space. The new one just gets in the way and has done nothing but annoy me.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Those would be some good changes. I think that the AI should keep ignoring naval attrition but there should be a limit to how far they will go away from their nearest chunk of land. It makes sense that GB or Spain can project power anywhere but when their OPM buddy Genoa who has been exiled to Crimea ships 10k dudes through the Med and around the Cape to loving Taiwan the idea of ignoring realism for gameplay purposes has gone too far.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Just got Sons of Carthage. It was way easier than my first attempt months ago, partly because Spain went influence -> economic -> offensive and swallowed portugal whole(:psyduck:), and partly because the ottomans called me into two/three wars which gave me enough favours to hit the cap and max out their trust as well.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I just tried hosokawa and it being my first japan game was a giant clusterfuck. Even after a few starts I couldn't do anything because of the massive web of alliances and jackass AI nations that call you into their offensive wars but don't bother joining into your defensive ones.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Like I was saying earlier I got 40 favours/war helping the ottomans blockade a bunch of italian minors, maybe taking a fleet or two out along the way. It's probably just wildly inconsistent.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

With Kazan you should be able to cut off your land at the aral mountains to get overseas coring on all of Asia. If you take out the russians early and keep poland/lithuania at bay you should be in a good spot. Both of those are easier said than done, though.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Node posted:

Did the recent patches make the AI... funny in the head, so to speak? The Ottomans have been at war with Karaman for a couple decades. They have a 30k troop and their vassal Wallachia has a 6k troop sitting at the borders of Icel, Karaman's capital. Karaman has the full 25 bonus for having kept the target of the conquest. The Ottomans captured their other province. During this time, Byzantium has managed to pop back into existence in Constantinople too.

In one of my games Karaman has existed inside of the ottomans as a 2 province minor since ~1450. The ottomans declared on them for reconquest but despite having cores on all their land and 100% warscore they only took 1/3 provinces and let Karaman exist inside of them for rest of eternity. :3:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Node posted:

I've got a question about assigning provinces as of vital importance of the AI. Say that you have the Ottomans as the ally, and the Mamluks as the enemy. The Ottomans have set every Mamluk province as vital. If you took Mamlukean provinces in your own war, without involving the Ottomans so you don't owe them anything, will that province still be marked as vital to them? Essentially making them hate you?

From my experience, no, it won't. Unless they have a claim on the province they'll remove it instantly and only mark the current lands of any rivals/enemies.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Node posted:

That's nice. Do you think it is a different case if they have historical missions, like Conquer Levant or Conquer Egypt?

Those missions only fire if the mamluks own a province in the levant/egypt IIRC, and if they take the mission while you own a province in egypt it only gives them claims on the mamlukean lands. Sharing that area with the ottomans is tricky, before the Cossacks I could never keep good relations with them, it was just a matter of time before they turned on you. The only times I've done it since I've been swimming in favours with them so they were at least content with me existing in the area.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

You're really reading a lot out of that one sentence lol. It's ok that you like to roleplay when you play EU4 and tedious micromanagement is cool to you but its not for a lot of other people.

He's been complaining about estates before the DLC was even released. Shut up.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Also you still get reduced religious unity, which can be very painful if you have a disaster ticking up so long as it's under 100%

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Node posted:

I never thought I could do it. When the year hit 1700 and I had almost 250 provinces to go, I almost gave up. Then I saw how exponentially faster conquest becomes. I got admin efficiency 40% and never researched any admin tech beyond that. Finally, Jihad! Thank you for all those delicious 1/1/1 provinces, Russia.

Did you take exploration/expansion earlier and then ditch it? Those lovely siberian colonies along with the rest of the landlocked african ones are easy pickings.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The best way to maximize your trade income is to get forced into a regency. Kill your heir and then spend ten years experimenting with every combination of merchants, trade ships, and province modifiers to squeeze out an extra ducat.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

11k in loans? :eyepop: I don't think I've ever had more than six loans at the same time.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Alright, I already thought it was weird enough that Ryazan accepted to diplomatically be Poland's vassal, but now Khiva diplomatically accepted to the an Ottoman vassal?!?

I've never seen the AI do this before and it is really loving with my head.

The same thing happened to me during a Persia run where the ottomans diplovassalized Shirvan across QQ and Georgia. Khiva is a bunch of 1/1/1 provinces so it's not that much of a stretch.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Seems a little ridiculous considering the AI will never accept diplovassalization from a player under the same circumstances.

Yeah I'm sure the AI (and especially the Ottomans, being a lucky nation) has some sort of hidden diplomatic advantage with these sort of things. The good news is that they can't integrate them unless they get within coring distance, just make sure that they don't reach the caspian sea.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Wiz posted:

No, they do not.

I could've sworn lucky AI nations had a bonus to diplomatic reputation, oh well.

Tahirovic posted:

Given a high dip ruler and an adviser it isn't hard at all to vassalize sub 40 development minors.

What? The diplomatic skill of your ruler has something to do with diplovassalizing? Are you sure about that?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

My Jihad has gone about as well as it possibly could go so far:

Persia is my vassal, I sniped four provinces to release them from off of the Timurids because after the tribes took over they disbanded their army completely for a good five years. Mega Medri Bahri happened because everyone in the region kept declaring on them and Ethiopia bailed them out each time.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I just managed to get the "Win a battle against a great leader without a leader of your own" by losing a battle against a great leader with a leader.

:psyduck:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Speaking of Austria snakes, the new AI added in the most recent patch made Austria expand like a loving maniac. The AI tries to connect it's territory to Sundgau and tears through the empire, even though as the emperor you can just walk straight over everyone thus negating any need to connect them. They always seem to ravage the HRE, which as the emperor makes very little sense. It's pretty lame that by becoming the emperor you're given free reign to poo poo all over your underlings and they just have to accept it as is.

Here's a nice post expanding on this.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

TITY BOI posted:

I hope there's a rework of 'disant overseas' in the works. Greece holding Alexandria getting the same penalty as Great Britain holding Kyoto is a little silly

IMO distant overseas should be replaced with something like an autonomy penalty that gets greater as the distance to the capital increases. It should also ignore continents entirely and apply to territory with a connection, though land that is connected should have significantly less of a penalty. Remove the -50% coring discount from "colonies" and overseas provinces and give them a % reduction equal to the autonomy floor given by this overseas penalty.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 26, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Even though transport and communication over water was much easier and faster than that over land until the invention of railway?

(I went looking for a short and pity quote to back this up and found myself reading the entire chapter. <3 Hobsbawm)

I forgot about that, drat, never even entered my mind. That just raises further questions on why the current land connection mechanic is even a thing in the first place.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

It might be a clunky legacy mechanic, but at least it works really simply, and it always works as expected. I feel like breaking the five continents up into slightly smaller regions would be a good idea though, if only so vassal blocking is a useful tactic for everyone instead of extremely specific nations that happen to have a capital close to a continent border. I have the feeling that vassal blocking will just get kneecapped instead though.

Vassal blocking is lame and your vassal's territory should count as yours for purposes of coring/autonomy if no good solution to the overseas problem is found. It's a silly exploit that's a product of the overseas mechanic not being expansive enough, maybe that's due to it being largely imported from EU3.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The change to exploration missions that gives them their sea attrition back seems really backwards. Wasn't the entire point of adding the missions to reduce the tedious micro-managing you have to do to explore without getting your 50 dip point explorer killed because you explored one sea zone too far? Now it seems entirely pointless to use the missions because if you even have the possibility of taking attrition you're 100% going to die because it's slower than doing it manually and you can't cancel it once it starts.

The rest look really good and I'm glad that the austria-mania was probably fixed internally even before I found it a problem, I guess it pays to have your developers actually play your games.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/692385353580335105

Uh oh.

(Also, how the gently caress do you embed a tweet, why is this never explained anywhere)

Ok it just doesn't show up in the preview, weird.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

If the Strait of Dover is in, shouldn't there be one at Gibraltar too?

Realistically speaking yes, the distance between spain/morrocco is smaller than the distance between england/france. Gameplay wise it fucks everything up because now the Iberians can double their power with north africa no longer being distant overseas..

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

There should be events that can trigger when you're losing a war as a theocracy that make your ruler a general with decent army tradition. Sort of like that weird eastern tech decision that you can only take halfway through the aristocracy ideas and with 8(?) war exhaustion that gives you 15 units out of thin air.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

With the ability to set your diplomacy as friendly/neutral/hostile/threatened etc. there's no need for the player's opinion. I suspect that removing it would gently caress with multiplayer in some way, though.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The backlash against the Russian culture split is really dumb because when you form Russia you get an East Slavic cultural union. It's basically the tiniest nerf to early-game Russia, even if they took half of Novgorod their respective culture would be accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Welp I found out today that the Ethiopia game I was working on isnt allowing for achievements for some reason, so time to start over :negative:

What I did for my Prester John run was to immediately force-vassalize all of the Coptic nations around you, feed shia makuria to Alodia, and once you fight Adal feed Kaffa and Medri Bahri some. They've never reliably allied anyone in my Ethiopia games, maybe take Kaffa's gold mine if you want. Try not to get too far into Somalia until unlocking some religious ideas, Ethiopia does start as an Empire though (and accepts Somali as a culture) so it's not as bad as it could be. There is a bit of luck involved, because if Adal allies the Mamluks and the latter still guarantee Hejaz you're boned. I took exploration second, locked down the cape and the juicy gold mines around it, and then tried to gain control of Malacca for even more money from trade.

After that it's waiting for a european ally and or waiting for the ottomans to get in a big war or unstable situation. I ended up losing a war or two to the Ottos, the first time they took some useless desert provinces that were in egypt/levant, the second time I had to white peace even though I declared. I pounced on them with the Commonwealth when they were down, even after the first war they had nearly recovered to full strength.

• Locked thread