Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I remember it being no more than ten provinces past the number of provinces they start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Amazing flag, :barf: colour.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

What should I be doing with Estates? Try and give each Estate a rough balance of provinces and call it good? Give coastal stuff to Burghers where possible? :shrug:

Put them on provinces with high autonomy, because they will negate autonomy effects for their respective areas (adm/dip/mil). Usually this is best done on newly conquered lands. The clergy is really good to put on high development provinces that are hard to convert. The burghers should go on provinces with high trade power like centers of trade or estuaries/harbours. Nobility should go on high manpower provinces or pretty much any other province that is low in adm/dip development. The manpower you get from the nobility makes your forts a little harder to take, and if you pump their loyalty up to 60 you get +15 defensiveness.

I will rotate out old territory and move estates to newer territory. Though be sure to give them the new stuff first before you take away their old provinces, they get revolts that spawn instantly if you revoke a province and their loyalty is under 40.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Chin Strap posted:

How quickly do I need to get down to the cape in order to beat spain/portugal?

1550 seems like when the europeans start heading eastwards with their colonists. In my Kaffa game I had France beat me to the cape by less than a week's time. That does not bode well for me because I'm weaker than I would be as Ethiopia and the ottomans have finished the Mamluks and split Egypt with me.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Kongo is really good for institution seeding. There's 4-5 grassland provinces all around your capital ripe for dumping all of your monarch points into. Ethiopia has one grassland province in nubia and a few dryland provinces (only a 5% malus to developing) scattered around.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ethiopia/the Horn of Africa region (south of Egypt, north of Kenya) has a grassland somewhere?!?

Yeah, a single one in Nubia, it's Shendy or one of the relatively small provinces. I think it's owned by Alodia at the start, not sure if it changed with the new nations around there in the latest patch.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Definitely not a bad idea, it's just close enough to be still behind europe but you'll never need to seed anything yourself. I did that as Kaffa and despite only being able to take 2/3 of Egypt I've now got over 100 AE with the Ottomans and a little above 50 with some of my other neighbors. I feel like I had to take it or else the ottos would. I'm not even that strong but for some reason no coalition has formed yet, I'm not going to question it. :v:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Linnaeus posted:

Is there any way to check if the Ottomans still have the Janissary bonuses without fighting a battle?

Apart from noticing/remembering whether the event fired in the first place or if the event that fired ending it happened yet, no. I think as long as you mark the ottos as important the Janissary decadence event will pop up for you provided you didn't disable it manually in the message settings.

You might be able to sneak a peek at one of their battles if they're fighting your ally/rebels/someone else on a province you have sight of.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Looking at the wiki I think that if Janissary Decadence fires it will broadcast to everyone and not just if you have them marked, because it's a disaster like an estate taking over or a civil war.

I always mark the ottos as important because I play a lot around that area and I know I will always end up coming to blows with them. In the meantime, enjoy their insane amount of manpower and a forcelimit that is over twice as big as anyone else's!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm wrapping up my vijay->bharat game and I'm absolutely drowning in money despite choosing not to colonize at all. You can choose to be filthy rich or disgustingly rich.

If you decide to form hindustan I don't think admin ideas are necessary, I've got so many monarch points I'm two techs ahead and I'm still forced to dump them all into development because there's nothing else to spend them on.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

:agreed: even after they divorced monarch points from buildings there's not a lot to spend it on once you get rich and it's past mid-game where buying any new buildings doesn't pay off.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

As Ternate I can't decide if I should go Exploration or Admin first, and I also don't know if I want to get Exploration at all. How likely am I to pop Colonialism if I go to the Americas?

I guess saving myself from having to boost up an entire institution is probably worth it.

:psyduck: why would you not take exploration as ternate?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

What I've started doing is letting my corruption rise up as long as it's relatively low. I think as long as it's under 1 you can still get good corruption events and as long as it's under 5 you don't get bad events. Sooner or later an event, ruler trait, or being ahead in tech will let it tick down by itself. This isn't really possible though if you've got lots of religious unity problems.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

They might have won as leader of the league war and never have lost the one vote election for the emperorship. I think that's how France always ends up in that situation, but there's usually enough electors that they don't stay very long.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I've found that many players seem to underestimate that value of Army and Navy Tradition

Usually when my armies are getting whipped i'll check the battles and see that the enemy has higher morale/tactics because of army tradition. The thing is though is you can only really raise it through ideas or fighting a lot, forts are a waste of money and the AI gets them for free so theirs is usually higher than yours will be.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Wow uniting Japan sure is a pain in the rear end when any daimyo that becomes independent immediately accepts being a tributary to ming.

:negative:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

They also seem to declare on some of the hordes to force them to become their tributary but never request that in the peace deal. Endless "make tributary" wars against Chagatai where Ming just peaces out with war reps and comes back every 5 years. :gonk:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

What do people mean when they say that AE is broken as a tributary. The AE still shows up as mine when I take stuff in a war, and in my Japan game Ayutthaya got a huge coalition triggered against it while being a tributary of Ming.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Hmm, sukhothai is a vassal of ayutthaya who is a tributary of ming. To fabricate a claim on sukhothai you need a spy network in ming, not ayutthaya. :psyduck:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I think the isolation events for Japan are hosed. I only have two possible events left, one says that 30 years hasn't passed since the most recent event (it has, it's been like almost 80 years by now) and the other one says 30 years has passed but it only fires at all if you're still a daimyo.
Also I did 6 events already and despite the fact that every option I took was the isolationist option I only have 5/6 for the achievement. :shrug:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

+0.1 yearly absolutism is like 20 total over the whole 2nd half of the game once it's enabled. Kinda sucks imo.

also they need to stop adding more things to keep track of like absolutism and splendor, but with their DLC model it's only going to get worse and these poorly integrated systems will never be polished up until eu5.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

This is probably going to be the only time I play as either a custom nation or as a new world nation. #1 Great power by 1490. This is insane.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I Love You! posted:

Basically ming makes 0 sense historically and from a gameplay perspective so I have no idea what it's supposed to be good for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm not too sure about this army professionalism stuff, but the rest of the Halloween Update sounds rad.

quote:

New paid expansion mechanic: Manapower

- Every province now has a manapower development value in addition to the previously existing manpower values. This can be raised much like base tax, production etc. by spending cosmic unity (gained by choosing certain outcomes in random comet sighted events).
- Use Manapower to recruit agile dark magick infantry units (+10% Maneuver Bonus). These units use administrative power to reinforce and strike fear into the hearts of enemy generals, giving any opposing army in battle with them a 1% chance to surrender every tick.
- Manapower can also be used to summon Wizards as diplomatic envoys that can cast wycked spells upon enemy nations (ex. the Hex Advisors option gives the target country +25% Increased Aging Speed for all of their currently hired advisors).
- Added the "Age of Darkness" (Triggered whenever your manapower reserves grow too large or too small). This casts a shadowy fog of war on all of your nation's provinces for one year that can be banished instantly by paying a hefty sum to local officials (1 point of corruption for every owned province).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I got a new keyboard and can't use the arrow keys to pan while still being able to stretch my pinky far enough to tap the space bar to pause. I just use wasd to pan now and click on the mapmodes like I always have. :shrug:

• Locked thread