Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Yeah this patch really made development feel worthwhile. I almost never did it before because I had so many more important uses for my mp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Fintilgin posted:

I assume I'm correct in thinking that if I make a custom nation in Australia (a colonial region) and colonize provinces in America they will not form colonial nations and can be made into states/core territory?

I haven't done anything like this since states and territories were introduced, but no I'm pretty sure that if you're colonizing a different continent CNs will still form.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Fintilgin posted:

That's what I was worried about. The wiki says

Which seems to suggest that Australia can rule America unimpeded, but I wasn't sure if they wrote a specific exception for that or not. I guess I can just test it.

I don't recall that ever being true. I usually trust the wiki but that doesn't sound right at all. Pretty sure having a capital in a colonial region just means you won't form CNs on that continent or that shares a landborder with your current continent territory (so basically just panama let's you get away with that). Aztecs getting CNs in South America is something I've seen happen several times in the past.

Unless this is relatively new and I just haven't noticed the change.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I only wish that spreading development out was a viable way to get the institution. Since it doesn't tick up you basically have to make some random province a New York City while everything else is 3 development crap.

Well poo poo, I've been going about this all wrong. I thought it was an overall thing so I've been spreading out my development.

I guess it's not a huge loss since I'm playing as Iroquois and I can't embrace any institutions until the Europeans show up anyway.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I was looking at the wiki and saw the Manga mission for Japan awards Horde Unity which raises a question: Is it even possible for Japan to become a horde? I don't know of a way to turn a country into a horde.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

PittTheElder posted:

I think that's because they went through all the events that granted (legitimacy/republican tradition/horde unity) and just made each event award all of them.

This is a reasonable, but disappointing answer.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Tell me more of this mythical land of Hindustan.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I mostly just find it weird and annoying that England has trade power in my nodes when they don't even know my nodes exist yet.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Koramei posted:

That makes sense though. Trade isn't the state literally sending people out and moving goods, it represents their influence extending in those places too. Local merchants cooperating with them, or English etc merchants working through middle men all the way to your country a node away form them.

I really like the trade system, it makes the game world feel big and alive. Obviously it'd be nice if the directions were dynamic too but it's still pretty good.

e: I guess it makes less sense when Europeans project power across an as-of-yet unexplored Atlantic, but eh

Yeah, I should have established: I'm playing in North America this game. So there shouldn't be any trade going across the Atlantic.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
1522 and I can't see a single European colony in all of North America. It's gonna be one of those games, isn't it?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Too Poetic posted:

Can you still peace out coalitions by spamming them with ducats?

I couldn't in my last game. -1000 malus to the peace deal "Wants more than money" or something.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I can't tell you how many wars I've lost because my allies decided to wander off into the uncolonized wilderness instead of coming to help me.

So yeah, just don't trust them ever.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I've got a few hundred hours in the game but there are certain things I still never really figured out. You guys talk about how morale is useful in the early game but drops off in the midgame and that's one of those things I never really noticed or understood. Can someone give me a summary on how the combat pips change in effectiveness over time? When I unlock new units I'm basically picking one at random since I don't really understand how important shock or morale is at any given point in time.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Fister Roboto posted:

Morale is important because morale damage is based on the attacking unit's maximum morale. If one side has 2 morale and the other has 1, then the latter will take twice as much morale damage. When a unit runs out of morale, it can't contribute to the fight, and if an army runs out of morale, it's forced to retreat.

Combat pips basically determine the base for how many casualties the unit can give and take. Offensive pips contribute to the casualties the unit inflicts, and defensive pips mitigate the casualties they receive. Note that this is true for both sides of the fight, and has nothing to do with which army attacked first. Generally speaking, you want cavalry and artillery to focus on offensive pips and infantry to focus on defensive.

Thanks, that's pretty useful information.

I'm assuming shock is just straight up casualties, but I don't understand its relation to fire, unless those are just different phases of combat which I've always sort of assumed they were. Even if they are, I'm still not really aware of how to optimize for them.

Discipline seems to be all-around the best thing ever, but is there ever a reason to not try and get as much of it as possible?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah shock and fire are the two phases of combat, each day (or so?) is a phase with its own die roll and it switches back and forth (fire first). Shock starts off strong and calvary have a ton, later on infantry and especially artillery get a shitload of Fire

Alright, I'm starting to understand this now. I assume cavalry falls out of use as fire overtakes shock as the more damaging phase?

And I think I've figured out why morale is apparently less useful after time. Is it because of combat width? Where once you hit your width you're better off holding part of your army back to reinforce mid-battle and refresh your army's morale a bit?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Combat was the last mechanic I think that I never really understood and looking at the wiki page caused my eyes to glaze over. I just tried to get bigger armies and better generals and it worked well for me so far. Actually knowing what to do might make playing a smaller nation more viable for me. So thanks again for your help.

A quick glance at the wiki leads me to believe naval combat is basically the same thing?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
oh i thought galleys were still king in the mediterranean.

are you telling me i could get a couple 25-stacks of heavies and wreck aragon's poo poo?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

PittTheElder posted:

This was basically always the case. Only difference is that galleys are way cheaper.

In the past I've had to worry about them having way more galleys so as to just have overwhelming numbers since they are way cheaper.

Actually this sort of makes some NIs useless, doesn't it? Aragon's galley combat tradition wasn't all that helpful before but now it's just completely useless from mid-game.

e: Venice is way more hosed actually, since that's their ambition. By the time they unlock that it will no longer matter.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 4, 2016

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Pellisworth posted:

I did a combat megapost a ways back: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&userid=80360&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post463508984

Morale never stops being good, it's wrong to say it gets worse over the course of the game. However, it's multiplicative with Discipline, general pips, and combat power so as the game progresses and you have access to more idea groups and bonuses it's better to diversify and get some of each.

Sailors and Sailor Recovery are the most useless bonuses

Oh, interesting. This is a really useful post. It would have slid right off as a new player but after getting the basics down this kind of information is extremely helpful.

Also I won't argue about sailors. I've yet to have a lack of sailors be an issue in any of my games.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Pellisworth posted:

Worth pointing out that my comments about fort placement are outdated now due to the changes this patch, you want to build your forts in mountains or other hostile terrain now.

Yeah, the recent patch was the only time I can think of where they changed something related to combat and I immediately knew what it meant and how to use it to my advantage.

Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the other changes going forward.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Fister Roboto posted:

Another great thing about institutions:

I could theoretically make Castille a protectorate right now.

this is the greatest of timelines

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm playing a native game and just finally reformed my government. Unfortunately, I didn't get any options to change my religion. I was planning to go protestant as soon as possible but it looks like I'm stuck as Totemist.

Is there something I'm missing or did they remove the ability to switch to Christianity while you're "westernizing"?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

skipThings posted:

You need to conquer a province with Christians in it, then you'll get a decision to convert

maybe North American natives even have an event if you border some Christians

I've been rubbing up against the borders of Newfoundland (Catholic) ever since I reformed off them a couple decades back. Not getting the impression that there's going to be an event if I haven't seen it yet.

Not a big fan of my odds going to war against England right now but maybe if I can get a strong alliance with another European power I can steal one of their provinces to convert off of.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Unfortunately they seem to be England's only CN and they're really loyal right now. I was thinking about pushing for their independence just to gently caress over a European power but the endgame betrayal sounds even better and makes this something actually of benefit to me and not just a spite move.

I'll work on building a spy network to agitate for liberty next time I play.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
In one game I took Quantity just to puff myself up to make diplo-vassalization easier. Not actually sure how effective it was, but it felt like it was working.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm taking it as a good sign that in my Iroquois game, England is my only valid rival. This despite the fact that I have no idea what the world looks like beyond North America and have never made a single ship in the whole game.

I thought I'd grab the achievements for supporting rebels, but it seems like none of the natives around me have any valid rebels. I guess they've had a long enough time to consolidate even under the ai. I'm hoping once Newfoundland is free they'll have some valid rebels to support. If not I might have to pass up on this one until I play somewhere that isn't America.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Scanned the wiki a bit ago and it advises to check the stats of a pretender before engaging rebels in case they're actually really good. When I had to deal with pretender rebels recently I could find nowhere that gave me his potential ruler stats, just his military leader stats. Did they remove the ability to see that or am I bad at looking?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I thought I looked there but maybe not. Thanks, I'll be sure to examine that screen a bit more carefully next time this comes up.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I got My True Friend but not Viva la Revolución! after winning a support rebels war. According to the wiki I should be able to get them both at the same time and I'm confused as to what the difference in triggers is.

Am I not supposed to declare war for the other one?

e: nevermind, got it. i just kept supporting rebels until eventually they won without my help.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 16, 2016

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Pretty much all of the expansions have something worth getting and I honestly can't recall what the base game looks like anymore. But I'm sure you'll be fine playing a bit without them.

As for mods, I don't use any. Every time I find one interesting the next patch breaks it and the creator never updates it so I just gave up. The game is great without mods anyway.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
As in the CB is gone.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Then they weren't full cores yet. They were only territorial cores, so you still have to pay the other half of the admin point cost.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i think you should have an enforce religion cb if you're the emperor and you won the league war

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Baronjutter posted:

Nice, does that mean if you're playing Spain or Italy and conquer a bunch of north africa you can make those states and treat them like core parts of your nation?

That's exactly what it means. It's pretty great.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'd still suggest Portugal or Castile first since the tutorial isn't exactly that great, but if you think you got it figured out you might not have too much trouble as Korea. Japan and Ming are a little wonky for new players so I wouldn't recommend them.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

spectralent posted:

Right. I guess something that's the equivalent of ireland or the soviets would be good, those'd be Portugal or Castille?

Ottomans is good training ground for warfare since you're too large and powerful to collapse after mistakes, Portugal and Castile (mostly Portugal, imo) for the friendly and safe colonizing gameplay style.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Got a goldmine in Hopi today. Wasn't aware gold could spawn there. Must be a 1.19 change that I didn't know about.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

skasion posted:

Gold has a 5-ish% chance to spawn in like, almost any province in Colonial California.

Oh I thought it was only the Mexico region that did that. Shows what I know.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I feel as if maxing out my rival slots by rivaling Spain, France, and Great Britain when any one of them has more than 200% my army strength may have been a bad idea. Now I'm having trouble intricating myself into their webs by finding a European powerful enough to be a thorn in one of their sides while also not being allied to at least one of the 3 that I rivaled so they're actually willing to hear me out in an alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
15 power projection is more than the 0 I had before. I've got no other valid rivals.

I really should have thought ahead as regards alliances though.

• Locked thread