Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I like the new "Does the devs even play the game?" thread. I'm closing in on 10 000 hours total of Paradox game time. My goal during my vacation is to finally break that. But you know, I totally don't play the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

His other project on the other hand, Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, has lots of setup changes going on, and province redrawings to make it look better. I just wish it was further along, because holy poo poo do I want to play it. I might see if I can lend a hand too, he sounds down with the more historically grounded approach I'm after.

Note: in the (1454!) start, Naples even leads the PU with Aragon.

That looks actually really awesome, I love a proper size on Bohemia in comparison to neighbors <3 Fav Nation
Does he add new provinces or just change existing ones?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Definitely adding provinces. Ireland has like twice as many as its vanilla version, and Italy has a few more as well.

Is there a count? I would prefer to play with as few additions as possible :/

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Just going to shamelessly advertise my Megacampaign LP here, just finished converting to EU4 and first chapter out for EU4. If you wanna see a dev high on Norse romanticism and then lose to rebels this is for you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642949

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Another Person posted:

also, here, have an advertisement for why EUIV MP rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPP1mBcZf-E

Oh you only took a small snippet!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

No we love your wallet :homebrew:

Just buy for the features that you want instead of trying to catch up on 3 years development.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yeah I've been taking loans from both Portugal and Venice with like 2% interest to fuel my growth faster and to avoid increasing inflation as well.
Also if you guys been missing out on it I highly recommend you watch it, great fun and you get a better "face" on the developers. We are stupid gamers like the rest and love to play the game ourselves.
You also have the added bonus that you get to see all the new features.

Silly video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHpq7yubKc

Forum thread:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-office-multiplayer-campaign-vi.965679/

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 8, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

There's bunch of events tied to each policy that gives different permanent modifiers on the province. The best one is Trading policy if I remember correctly. In the Office MP stream I got +1 goods produced on a gold mine in central america thanks to it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

You can also have several mapmodes in one slot by right clicking a already filled slot. You then cycle through the mapmodes by clicking it again when it is already selected. For instance I have both coalition and diplomacy on the same slot.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

He blames the game plenty, he also blames himself plenty.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

There's also kind of an unspoken law as well. If you want to be sure it gets fixed you use it targeted at Johan.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

It depends on various things, for instance when I debased currency in the Office MP it was actually almost as cheap for me because of the modifiers on the corruption gain. So I took that over getting inflation + pay monthly interest.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Poil posted:

You weren't in West Africa and just a few decades into the game I assume. :v:

Of course not.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

As long you have 10% development embrace the institution you can embrace it as a whole nation for a fee in ducats depending on how much development hasn't adopted it.

If you want it literally for free then you have to wait for your entire nation to naturally embrace it.

E: fixed dumb autocorrect stuff.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 11, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Happened to me as well, you have to conquer everything around Armenia to make sure they stay in your land.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I would say Aristocracy has some synergy with specific nations though. Like you are playing Vietnam and go Aristocracy + Defensive and just make fighting a war in your territory pure hell.

e: Think it tops at 120% defensiveness and +3 attrition for enemies together with policies if I remember my spreadsheet correctly
e2: 120% defensiveness as base means that a phase takes about two months(or more depending on other modifiers) and thus a fort can take several years to break down.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 1, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Also forgetting that max morale increase how much morale damage you do. Discipline also affects how much morale or normal damage you do at all.

You then have maneuvering and positions. Spread of damage from cavalry, spread of morale damage from artillery....

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The 1.22 patch have dropped now! Third Rome will be live shortly.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Technowolf posted:

Is this gonna screw up saved games?

Yes

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mr. Fowl posted:

I thought that's what this was referring to:

- AI no longer cares about potential allies/marriages being above diplomatic relations limit.

But it still seems to give a -50 penalty to alliance/marriage offers.

I think you got it in reverse, they will not be fine with being over their relation limit. They will now be okay however that you are over your limit.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Blorange posted:

Seriously, all that penalty does is make things miserable for the player, and it's dropped in with no developer commentary whatsoever.

But I just did....

Also pretty sure AI not wanting to go over their own limit has always been in the game.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 15, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

He means there was no explanation why the free diplo slot the AIs kept for the player went away

There's never been one. They have a free diplomat, not slot.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

A lot of things happening at once kind of. We raised prices in certain regions, we released DLC and somehow a review got flagged(which we currently looking into because we generally don't moderate reviews unless they strictly break the steam community rules)
Feels like this time it is a lot of generic anger being vented and feeding upon itself making it even worse and people are looking for everything they can to latch on their anger to to keep the ball rolling.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yeah from time to time but not that often really.
Have a good story of a March of the Eagles cd that got sent back to us with a skull carved into the cd because the copy he had bought was Steam only (and it was clearly visible on the box) and back then we still had non-steam copies as well.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I think I've gotten more death threats over banning people than actually anything relating to the games in itself. Most of them goes something in style with "muh freedums, i marine veteran, friend got u ip, i keel u"
By now I guess I have half of Navy Seals chasing me down. :cheers:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

They colonize themselves after a while, they get free colonists in their idea set and they will mainly colonize within their region.
But you can also colonize yourself on any province bordering them.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I bought this game a long time ago, like during November, tried it out, didn't like it, and decided again to try it again. Are there any guides for this thing? Because I am hopelessly lost.

1) How do you make money? In the old EUIII every year you got taxes, and then lost money over the course the year. Now you just lose money each month? Where's the income? I understand you can lower army maintenance, but that just makes you easy prey for your enemies.
2)What's with manpower and other AI nations? The game told to me to try Castile in 1444, I allied with Navarre, then Aragon declared war. No big deal I thought, I used my stacks to annihilate (Literally, wiped out their entire stack) theirs... then they had another 10,000 from nowhere. Wiped it out. Then they had another 10,000 stack. Wiped it out. After 5-6 times of this, I'm left with 6,000 men and here they come with another 10,000. Where are they getting all this manpower? My own manpower has been completely depleted, is this just an AI balance thing? Because if so that's really lovely.

You also got monthly income in EU3 just that your yearly income was a larger clump sum?
For EU4 you can see the income in the tab for economy, you see your income sources to the left while your expenses are to the right in the screen.

Also for the manpower thing, just sounds like the AI is recruiting mercenaries. Also are you really wiping them or just hitting them back? Because sounds weird to be able to stack wipe 10k armies at 1444 already without the numbers or the modifiers for it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Fortresses block your armies from moving past them so you have to deal with them before you can move past them.

Edit: Ninja'd again!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mr. Fowl posted:

Killjoys. Just because you made a situationally broken Idea, doesn't mean you have to give it a ridiculous cost. Let people have fun.

EDIT: And I can't seem to revert to the fun, broken version. Great.

YOU WILL PLAY THE BORING VERSION AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 20, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Is there some simple list that will tell me what my most profitable potential state is?

If you hover over the make state alert or over the territories in the stability interface, the list given there should be sorted based on what will generate the most money/development (not most net-money though) since this patch.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Eej posted:

The first thing Johann put in when he took over was Mare Nostrum so yes, it was the beginning of a decline.

just to clarify some misunderstandings here that several people seemed to talk about none being really correct.(sorry that I quoted just specifically you) First and most important, it''s Johan, not Johann. Secondly he has always been in charge of EU4 Development but as the creative lead(what we call game director) who holds the vision of what the game should be, i.e lead ideas guy. Wiz was Project Lead when he worked on EU4, he then moved to be Stellaris Game Director. Though back then we didn't have dedicated game designers so Wiz was also doing sort of the job that DDRJake does today back then.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 25, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

With that bordergore, I hope the great Sultan makes the right decision.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Doesn't it ask for confirmation like everything else? If it doesn't I'll get that fixed

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

aqu posted:

You just gotta form Romania or Croatia first to get around that.
Here is my Ottomans -> Romania -> Greece -> Byzantium -> Roman Empire:

bonus fun:

Nice, I approve

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

AnoHito posted:

Paradox, Releasing Third Rome: We're just going to make immersion packs from now on, not the full DLCs.

I don't remember us saying anything like that on EU4?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

How involved do you think external investors actually are? Investors having "a few words with us" makes literally no sense. The people who own enough to matter are the very people that would make the decision they would "have a few words about".

I mean sure Fred is a bit eccentric but I wouldn't call him schizophrenic...

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 11, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I am going to make a blind guess here so I may be totally wrong, but he is probably referring to the fact that many publicly owned company have to make their investors happy every quarter and expect all measures to turn the biggest profit this quarter be taken.
Have you asked yourself "why"? I think maybe in USA there's a law requiring them to do that. Not saying we are not looking for better performance each year since being a company which in turn would fulfill this. But if you look at our corporate page, the biggest share holders are people who work here or are on the board, minus maybe Tencent and a bank.

edit: Also among the last 10% under "others" you also have me and my few shares :agesilaus:

I dont know who Fred is but I got a good laugh at this.
Our CEO and largest share holder in the company.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Then I don't understand the "Paradox is ebil they only look for profit for investors".
Of course things changed, but we had share holders before we became publicly traded and we liked profit back then as well.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Alright guys I didn't mean to start a war over American law. My point was that we are under Swedish law and the relationship ia not necessarily the same with share holders.

And on the mandate of heaven, I honestly haven't played in the area lately but I am planning a Sikh ironman game so who knows what I'll face. Playing as Russia Ming just became a nice "end boss"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

You're now probably going to get at least a dozen replies about what is wrong, just FYI.

I know, I've been to the internet before

• Locked thread