Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Now, I haven't played too much of the expansion yet, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. But I feel like the increased coring and integration costs, especially compared to the fact that tech is still hella expensive, makes me want to avoid province development for the most part. Sure, buildings are fine and all, but the relative importance of technology, ideas, and keeping an area cored makes me feel like spending points on province development is too much of a waste, especially when compared to how much more I gain by straight up Empire building. Maybe I'm just stuck on the old EU4 mindset where everything you do either directly expands your realm, or helps to expand your realm indirectly, but I just don't feel like building up my provinces is that great compared to just conquering an entire nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

THE BAR posted:

Greece has formed on Cyprus due to rebels in every single game I've played so far since last patch.

Yeah, I've also noticed it never seems to ever spawn on mainland Greece either. Its pretty funny actually, because I'm pretty sure they added the Pontic culture just to combat it always spawning in Crimea before. The Ottomans are just too strong for a revolt there to ever work, while all the islands ruled by non-greek nations are too weak to not get their face smashed in by Greek Separatists. The only way I can see it happening is if the Ottomans get their face smashed in by a player and the rebels enforce demands before the Ottomans can rebuild their armies.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Only in high base tax provinces. I haven't bothered where base tax is 4 or less. Production building seem like more of a moneymaker now too.

Personally, I have the exact opposite experience. Temples consistently provide more money in my provinces over the production buildings, for everything except the most valuable trade goods. I really appreciate that they changed the display to show how much more money you make monthly, as opposed to yearly. It helps a ton when evaluating the exact benefit of doing something over something else.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

+10% National tax modifier - Wow it's nothing.
-20% Build cost - A one time expense, who cares
+0.10 Yearly inflation reduction - You can just hire a master of mint if you got inflation, anything less than 10% inflation is nothing
-1 Interest per annum - Whatever
-0.05 Monthly autonomy change - The best part of the idea group
-10% Land maintenance modifier - The second best part, rather than giving a tiny increase to tax or production it's better to increase any of the trade modifiers or decrease your army/advisor expenses
+10% Production efficiency - Well this is better than tax at least
−20% Development cost - Development is underwhelming, it's certainly not something you use your monarch power on unless you are nearly capped out

Eh, I'd actually like to disagree on more than a few of these points.
- (+10% National Tax Mod) The national tax modifier doesn't do a lot if you're making 3 ducats a month, yeah. But if you're only making a gross profit of three ducats a month then you'd also be a very small power which will probably be expanding a ton in the future. The average large-sized nation in the mid-game will likely make around 20 ducats in taxation, in which case the bonus is way better. The same goes for the production efficiency modifier.
- (-20% Build cost) Buildings are not a "one time cost". The discount saves you a hell of a lot of money when building improvements, which means the economic development of your nation will be much faster and more efficient. You definitely feel the bonus even more once you start getting into the buildings that have a value of +400 ducats, like manufactories.
- (+.10 inflation reduction) I don't know about you, but it doesn't seem like that brilliant of an idea to rely on the game to spawn masters of mint of an appropriate level of skill and cost for you on a consistent and reliable basis. And the post above also makes the point that the spot can easily be filled with a more advantageous advisor. Hell, I'd even say Economic is necessity if you plan on either taking or colonizing gold provinces at all; the benefit of not having to constantly spend very valuable admin points on inflation reduction is god drat indispensable.
- (-1 Interest per annum) I have to agree this isn't exactly a really great idea overall, but it can still help out in a pinch if your manpower runs low and you're caught in a bad situation where you need to hire lots and lots of mercenaries with loans.

Also, while the finisher is weak right now, it'll get a lot better when the +5 per development is removed from the development costs. Economic is a hella good idea group that I'd definitely recommend for any playthrough, especially if you plan on colonizing South/Central America or take any gold provinces. The bonuses can very easily save you a whole ton of money and admin power.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 23, 2015

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Okay, I know that catholic and other religions can join the protestant league just fine, and the whole system for that has a very historical basis. But I do really think a particular religious leader needs to go home and take some time to sober up, because I'm not quite sure he knows what hes doing here.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I wish there was a way to see WHY the AI hates you in the empire. I hover over all the electors and they all show I'm at like -1100 and they list how much they like or hate everyone else, but not why. When I play in the HRE I never have any idea why anyone becomes emperor or why anyone votes for anyone so I end up ignoring it.

If all the electors have you at -1000 for Emperorship, chances are that it's because you are ineligible for the position. Generally, the biggest reasons for why this might be the case are: A. You aren't in the Empire and all the electors like people who are in the Empire better than you, B. Your current monarch is Female and no one has gotten the Pragmatic Sanction, or C. you are a dirty heathen who follows a religion that's different from the current "official" religion of the Empire. I don't believe there are any other reasons for why you wouldn't be able to become the emperor, so if it isn't any of those three things then I have no clue as to why you could be at -1000 (unless you have a whole ton of AE and survived the clusterfuck of coalition wars somehow).

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I'm playing as custom netherlands, about half my provinces are in the empire. I've taken a bunch of imperial provinces illegally and constantly ignore the demands to return them. I've vassalized electors and free cities. I lead the protestant league in a quick and decisive war that resulted in protestantism being the official empire religion, which saw Austria permanently lose its emperorship and it pass on to Saxony, who has been emperor over and over for a very very long time and seems to have blobbed big enough to form Germany and is my main rival.

Sorced posted:

None of these answer the main question: are you a republic? (and yes dutch republic counts). If you are you cannot be emperor for obvious reasons.

Oh, yeah. I didn't consider the whole republican thing as well, but it's not hard to understand why a republic can't ever become the Emperor, even if they are a Dutch republic with the Orangists in power. You should also check if your capital is inside the HRE and you are fully considered a part of the Empire. A quick way to check this is to go to the Imperial Mapmode and check if the Imperial territory you have has yellow stripes; if it does, then you aren't actually a part of the Empire (and considering that Saxony hates you, you probably never will be able to enter it).

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

double nine posted:

OH COME ON!!

10 YEAR REGENCY AND THEN THIS?! gently caress this game seriously. I'm done.

Always remember: Your current heir is only a suggestion. Anticipating their succession is the path to tears and pain.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Every point or every upgrade? Because ~50 monarch points is not really worth 2.4 ducats per year. In fact I would happily take the opposite trade if offered.

You're forgetting Workshops/Custom Houses, which add +50%/+100% to your production efficiency, and also the fact that production efficiency increases over time. Stack goods produced buffs, and you're going to make making a whole lot more than .20 extra ducats for every point of production

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't play MP but I would imagine that development is a big deal in MP games once the "eat the AI" phase is largely over, allowing states to remain relevent even if they're landlocked by other players.

This is an advantage, but it is usually much more profitable to fight the other Human players. No one minds though, since the part where you start fighting other human players is always the most interesting phase of a Paradox MP game.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

At first I rolled my eyes since Estates looked like they would just be buffs that you maxed out and didn't cared about afterwards, but after I finished reading I became extremely excited for this new DLC. It sounds like a really amazing mechanic, especially if it results in situations where you have to balance your own desires with what the estates want. I'm also excited for the new culture stuff, because from the sounds of it they're going to be changing it to something that's quite a bit deeper than what it is currently. (IE: A modifier which pretty much just determines how many provinces will get rebels and the paint job of the tag those rebels want to make.)

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 1, 2015

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

Presumably with the just announced Cossacks DLC. Which, if we're lucky, will probably be 4 to 6 weeks?

It is extremely likely that it will be at the very most 8 - 10 weeks from now, and not a day after.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Ah yes, the latin naming tradition with such titles as "Art of War", "El Dorado", and "Wealth of Nations".

This is probably one of those guys who would translate all of his mod names into latin and jacks off to the language before going to sleep every night.

Edit: I think the Paradox Forums have improved a bit. They're still a poo poo den of nationalism, but these posts from the same thread made me actually laugh.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 16, 2015

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Oh my god, that stupid Polandball mod just took a loving terrifying turn.

:stonk:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Dibujante posted:

What is that weird-rear end tumor growing out of <lovely german minor>?

Pretty sure that's the mod logo, and the mod is technically called "Poland-Lithuania Ball".

It's a terrible joke that makes me feel uncomfortable just looking at it.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

PAWGChamp posted:

Tell me this is fixed too please (I'm not Germany or the HRE, Rhenish isn't even accepted)

I think that's intended? You never get penalties from other cultures in the same group anymore, they're automatically accepted.

Sub-cultures now exist purely to make it more difficult to conquer large areas regions of the world other than your own.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

derkaiser posted:

My current Venice -> Byz game produced one of the weirdest Europes I've ever seen in this game. I had nothing to do with any of that, except for the Balkans obviously.

You can't post this and not explain how the bloody hell did the Teutonic Order migrate to Scandinavia.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I think the idea that development is useless is stupid. As someone who played around with the values before, it can earn you a surprising bit of cash and manpower if you're in a rut, especially if you're sitting on a bunch of high price trade goods and have the diplo power to spend (and lets be honest, diplo power didn't have that many uses to begin with anyway).

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

The 'nation ruining prevention' feature seems like its more of a 'no blitzkrieging weak nations after losing territory' feature. Like if I'm Scotland and own all of Ireland and bit of England, it's not nation-ruining for me to truce-break a released Irish minor or Northumbria or something. It's nation-preserving.

This sounds like an incredibly fringe situation that would almost never come up in normal play. Besides, keeping in mind this is a MP only feature, starting up the war you just lost over land that the other player released, only with you at -6 stability, doesn't sound like a very brilliant idea; And even that is assuming a player would actually go out of their way to release minors from you.

I can't see our goon MP group ever using it since our players are usually really good about avoiding the whole "nation ruining" behavior. I can see stuff like pubby games using it though since I doubt they're always the pinnacle of maturity.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

In the last game alone like 4 people did exactly that, to varying degrees of success. It worked really well for Another Person until everyone decided to shrug and let Obliterati roll over everyone like a steamroller. I've noticed that a lot of people are in love with releasing wrong culture territory they don't want themselves, because the victim has to core it again.
Eh, It's been a while since we've played and my memory is hazy. If it did happen, it wasn't something that stick out in my experience, at least. I will admit that you make a good case for it, enough for me to re-think my initial impression of nation releasing.

Another Person posted:

e2; nation ruining elements also seem like they kinda get in the way of the new revaunchism feature. like a player in a corner with a huge war loss truce might not even get a chance to use the revaunchism before it times out.
I think revaunchism is more of a short term feature to prevent a nation from totally collapsing due to rebels and other people dog-piling on after a devastating war ends. It's also pretty much guaranteed to last longer than a truce does since the amount of revaunchism you get scales in a way similar to how truce timers do.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

It's more like when a good show goes 2 seasons longer than it should have and the last episode is really bad and everyone just wants to forget about it and remember the good times
But then there's just this really awkward subset of obsessive fans which want to keep it going, even though the show is pretty much equivalent to a decaying zombie crying for the sweet release of death. Their insistence drives off the normal fans by leaving a kind of taint on it that makes them feel gross watching it.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 25, 2015

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

jesus paradox slow down a bit, we already have two essential DLCs. Adding a third to that list is going to run me dry. :(

Edit: I also appreciate the province of "Gitgud" in that last screenshot.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 26, 2015

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Has that ever been confirmed? It doesn't sound right.

It's literally nothing but confirmation bias. Bad heirs are just as likely to die as good heirs; it's just that you notice it more when it's a good heir (or you just have very, very lovely luck).

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

kojei posted:

That's what the diplo screen needs, a shitload of new options to scroll through

I will not rest until there is miraculous categorization of every different subtype of insult I can send to a country, each with unique modifiers and fully implemented AI interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

New Achievement: Play from 1444 to 1821 with an immortal 0/0/0 ruler.

• Locked thread