Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Last Emperor posted:

Also, posted it in the last thread, but does anyone have any good/funny images to use?

Only ones I've really put are from some old MP games.

Also, does anyone remember an old program when EUIV first came out that would replay a map of your save if you uploaded it? I remember it being pretty cool.

POOP LOL

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Thoughts on the new achievements? It looks like two pretty tough achievements have been included with this patch. Meissner Porcelain: As Saxony, have you or your vassals own all Chinaware producing provinces in the world. Basically branch out of the HRE and do an Eastern Conquest. You're stuck in the middle of Germany, so you can't start colonizing anytime soon.

Big Blue Blob... I don't know. You just have to own 100 European core provinces as France. By 1500. With coring costs getting even more expensive, is that going to be ridiculously hard? I don't actually know, I've never played as France. And this patch weakened them since they don't start with vassals.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Another Person posted:

So the first big dumb exploit with CS has been found.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-not-get-eaten-by-austria-as-ravensburg-wad.860854/

i love it

e; for anyone who can't tell what happened, the player as an OPM joined a coalition against Burgundy and declared the war, let themselves get sieged, and then in the peace deal gave ALL of Austria's land away

I'm shocked.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

firestruck posted:

I've played like 80 years out of a campaign already and haven't experienced any comically disastrous bugs, and have done similar things with every expansion except for conquest of paradise.

Maybe I'm just lucky or something though.

You just don't notice them. Like when the AI did not know how to explore on the El Dorado release.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Beamed posted:

Boy, it's great that I'm not able to launch the game after I bought the DLC. I had really believed Paradox was past their gamebreaking bugs phase, too.

And yes, unable to launch a game is, uh, gamebreaking.

Please stop trolling Wiz.

On a serious note, have you tried disabling any mods or deleting your My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis 4 folder? Back them up just in case.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mountaineer posted:

Are the unique buildings like the Embassy or War College gone? I'm hurting for an extra diplomat and am disappointed at the apparent lack of an Embassy to build.

They are gone for ??? reason.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Wiz posted:

I wrote a dev diary about the upcoming hotfix and also why there will always be bugs on the launch of an expansion.

Nice writeup, explanation, and hotfix.

Did the random zooming in and out issue people were having get addressed? I missed that in the patch notes if it was.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
WIZ, THIS GAME IS UNPLAYABLE, AGAIN, LIKE IT IS WITH EVERY PATCH

because the Better UI mods haven't been updated for it yet

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Trujillo posted:

Maybe I'm just lucky then.

I like the Poland reversal of fortune going on there.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Good fixes, does it address the whole "rebels spawning and giving ten years of separatism in a month's siege" issue? It doesn't appear so unless I am misreading it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Kersch posted:

Rebels aren't supposed to add separatism or change religions in a province if the province borders a fort they don't control I think. At least that's what a paradox employee said on the paradox forums the other day

I thought everyone was complaining about that happening a couple pages ago. So they just didn't have forts adjacent to those provinces?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
1) Has anyone found a general rule of thumb on when to add development to a province? Not buildings, but adding tax, production, or manpower. As Switzerland, I just feel like I don't ever want to do that. I want to spend it on coring, ideas, or tech, like usual.

2) Is there a way to avoid having the emperor demand you return unlawful territory? I know if you're still at war, he can't do it. Is it affected by opinion, alliances, or something else?

3) France has become a major bitch in this game. They got coalitioned, and had to release 3 nations and give a couple provinces away to Brittany. Western Europe is so different with this patch.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zurai posted:

1) I generally only increase development under two circumstances: if I'm capped on monarch points, or if I have a gold province. 1 production development is +1/2 ducat a month on gold provinces.

2) They won't demand from their allies or if they're in a war. Pretty sure that's it.

The emperor can't demand territory if they're at war? I swear they were in one, but did it anyway. Interesting.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Has anyone noticed the AI Austria isn't getting its special government, Archduchy, now? It does call itself an Archduchy from 1444 (which is new,) but when you hover over it, its a Feudal Monarchy. They've never gotten the event in the two games I've played so far, and remain a monarchy throughout the game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

aeglus posted:

Speaking of The Ottomans, someone already completed a single tag WC with them for this patch: http://imgur.com/a/blUrq

Fucks sake, I just don't get how people do this. I'm bad at this game.

I'm guessing his national focus was admin, but what ideas did he take and in what order? Does he say in the thread I assume he made?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm going to try Poland and go for the three achievements. Winged Hussars, Poland Can Into Space, and One King to Rule. What idea groups, and in what order, would be optimal? I know Aristocracy will make a rare appearance at some point since it has +cavalry combat and a diplomat (which I might need now) as well as the military tech discount. There is also Administrative for its usual core creation discount and administrative tech discount - same goes for Diplomatic. And I think I would either need Religious or Humanist once I form the Commonwealth and have a bunch of cultures and Orthodox provinces. Humanist sounds preferable over Religious, since it gets idea cost discounts, and Catholics get a bunch of policies that give them missionary strength anyway.

Anyone have any advice on idea order?

Node fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 17, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

GSD posted:

I love how people in the thread keep doubting Wiz when he says Byzantium isn't in the top 10 of played countries.

I haven't played Byzantium yet and I think Wiz finds me sorta insufferable (for some valid reasons.) Should I scrap my current game and try to get every achievement with Byzantium, and complain that I can't?

In fact, they should be called the Eastern Roman Empire. Wiz, what the gently caress. And just who are the true sons of Rome anyway, when Paradox brutishly nerfs Byz with every patch? I'm starting ten threads on Paradox's forums right now.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Sorced posted:

Once you get high enough trust they should eventually become friendly eventually.

This, as well as sharing common rivals.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Do you get the -2 stability hit if your king is an inactive general?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Bohemian-Dutch War of Honor? What the hell is that? I just got called into one as an ally. Does that mean an AI actually declared war over a diplomatic insult? I've never seen that before.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mans posted:

no offense good for you for making a PU with Russia and uniting both crowns and all but jesus those borders are ugly :psyduck:

:spergin:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh, cool, I didn't know TO had a 50 liberty desire penalty when vassalized by Poland. Welp, there goes my ironman game.

huh? A lot of nations do that. Build up your relations with them and it'll lower their liberty desire. How on earth is that a game ender?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

aeglus posted:

I always make it an end game goal to destroy all of the big navies in Europe. One stack of 30 big ships is usually enough to destroy everything. Naval combat in this game is dumb and the naval AI is even more dumb.

Just 30? I usually add a little more than that. Just to be safe. You never know.

You could get so absurdly rich when Sevilla was an end node as Portugal.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

:toot:

Imagine I pressed the right button and The Holy Trinity achievement popped up here

Pretty much everyone revolted in North America by 1700. Meanwhile south America is completely filled out and still loyal to Portugal and Spain.

I think the hallmark of a good run is creating a map where you take one good look at it before burning it up. I recommend doing a Papal State run if you got Common Sense, they're in a really strong position right now.

Can you tell me how you started out as the Poop for the Holy Trinity achievement? And how you made sure to secure all the three orders before they were gobbled up by their neighbors? That is the achievement I'm looking at doing soon and I can't quite figure out how I am going to save the TO from Poland and Brandenburg.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It's definitely a timed mission. I started out allying Austria so I can get into the HRE and have free rein to conquer within the HRE. Just note at some point Austria is going to get a mission to claim northern italy so be prepared to face Austria sooner then later and to lose the alliance. For me I just abandoned the alliance when they were getting piled on because holy loving poo poo everyone loves to blockade Rome because Rome itself is worth a bunch of warscore even as a non co belligerent and you are not going to be able to field a navy early on to protect it. I also started out allying Castile, the idea was to use them to help in the war against Aragon for Naple's lands but as it turns out me and Castile never managed to be in the same war against Aragon/Naples. Still it worked out in the end when Castile was occupying Aragon so I declared on Naples and managed to take like two provinces (because italian provinces are expensive as gently caress both in warscore and ae) while Castile nullified the vassalage; Castile would not come for an offensive war against an independent Naples so I ended up conquering the rest by myself with no help from Castile or Austria. Luckily in my game Austria and Hungary were rivals and I recommend restarting the game until they start out as rivals because Hungary was mucho excelencia in fighting Austria and Ottoman.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Knights since they are easy to get to and you can vassalize them anytime in any of your wars against Venice. TO and LO got buffed this patch by the virtue of having more provinces so they won't die super fast like they did pre common sense. But it is a timed goal so you just have to expand as fast as you can so you can go north and also protect yourself against Austria/France who get a mission to go after Italy. Keep an eye out on TO and LO as if they get eaten up you got 50 years to fight their conqueror and make them release them back.

So you had all that time to bulldoze your way through Germany so you could fabricate claims against the TO/LO. Interesting. I've heard one strategy is to ally someone that neighbors the TO and do a no CB war against them, and vassalize them that way.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Motherfucker, it was 1510 and I got into a personal union with a humongous Bohemia as Sweden. As soon as I white peaced Austria, my king dies and I lose the union since my prestige was -1. AUUHGH

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Has anyone ever had sea patrol break for them before? I'm clicking patrol, and selecting a different sea zone, but the button immediately declicks itself. I've never had this happen before. There isn't anything weird going on with the fleet, like they're carrying troops or anything.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

gently caress yeah. That is probably the hardest achievement I've done to date, next to The Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire, This is Persia!, Switzerlake, and maybe That's a Silk Road. Although I did the last one with the Ottomans so that probably doesn't count.

I went admin -> offensive -> influence -> quantity. When the league wars started, I had only one province that was protestant, so I had to quickly change religions and deal with the religious unrest disaster (whatever it is called) and made sure to declare the religious league CB before the Ottomans joined in. They rivaled both me and Austria, so it was a tossup who they'd join. France, a humongous Netherlands, and finally Poland-Lithuania joined on the protestant side and that's when I hit the big red button.

Influence was probably a bad choice for once. I didn't have lots of small people near me to vassalize. I should have gone diplomatic or trade, although I don't like taking trade very much unless I have a really, really good trade node. Now I just have to take the Baltic coastline from a Protestant Brandenburg and Catholic Commonwealth :saddowns:.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Do I not understand forts correctly? Shouldn't Muscovy not be able to march from Kholmogory to Karelia since there is a fort right next to them in Olonets?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I have a quick question about war declarations. I'm too afraid to try it out since I'm on Ironman.

I am Sweden. I am allied to France, Brandenburg, and the Commonwealth, who is also allied to France, Brandenburg, and the Livonian Order. I want the Commonwealth's coastlines, but they are allied those humongous powers that I wouldn't be able to beat. However, if I declare war on the LO, I could take at least some of Commonwealth's coast, since they are not a co-belligerent. This war, I could win. Brandenburg will join the war on my side since they don't give a gently caress about the LO.

However, if I check the Commonwealth as a co-belligerent, the green checkmarks on the DOW screen don't change. It says that Brandenburg and France will still join my war. But will they? Whose side will they join if I start the war? Something tells me the screen is lying, and that I would be fighting against the combined strengths of the LO, Commonwealth, France, and Brandenburg, since they would be fighting a defensive war.

Bort Bortles posted:

If you owned Kohlmgory then they would not be able to get to Karelia.

Okay, thanks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Gonbon posted:

They'll join on your side. At least that's been the case for me.

Can anyone confirm? Because

Larry Parrish posted:

:stare: this changes so much

My thoughts exactly.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Traxis posted:

Just tested in one of my non-ironman games. I was allied to Poland, who is allied to Serbia, who is allied to Genoa. Declaring on Serbia directly, Poland was obviously unwilling to join. I declared on Genoa and selected Serbia as a co-belligerent and Poland did join on my side.

Oh... boy. Thanks. To reiterate:

Larry Parrish posted:

:stare: this changes so much

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I was looking through the beta patch notes...

"- Added event to create Greek cores late in the game."

What does the above mean exactly?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm going to try for the Holy Trinity achievement once the next patch hits (is there a rough ETA on it?) Do you pretty much have to do two no-cb wars against the Teutonic and Livonian Orders before Poland-Lithuania eats them up?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I wonder when this patch is going to hit. I kinda want to start a new game, but I don't know what achievement I want to go for. Maybe the one where the Inca rule all of South America. Is that hard if you've never played primitives before?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Do monarchies try to actively dogpile revolutionary republics now?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Well, I just had a failed Holy Trinity run. It started out decently. I no-cbed the Teutonic Order after Poland cut them down, so their total war score was less than 100, and vassalized them. I kept one province, used it to fabricate a claim on the Livonian Order, gave the province back, and then vassalized the LO. I declared war on Venice, who was allied to the Knights, and vassalized them, too. Now I have all three knightly orders as marches, and I planned on building my power base up in Italy before taking on the Ottomans and capturing Jerusalem.

Poland had other plans. Despite myself being allied to France, they rivaled me and wanted the rest of the Teutonic Order's lands. They just declared war, and them + Lithuania + Brandenburg means game over.

How on earth are you supposed to do this achievement, when Poland wants to destroy the TO, and you're too far to be able to do anything about it?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
:siren: The PLC unrivaled me and are willing to ally me. :siren: They're also the senior partner in a personal union with... Austria. Take that, von Hapsburgs?

I guess they are happy leaving the TO down to one province and breaking the LO in half. I now may have an unexpected ally against the Ottodorks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

VDay posted:

Can someone who's gotten it confirm that you don't need to actually be the leader of the Protestant League to get the Lion of the North achievement? Think I'm going to get the two Sweden achievements for my next game.

I was told you don't have to be the leader of the league, you just need to be the one to declare war. Which worked out for me. I wasn't the protestant league leader, but I declared war, and got the achievement when we won.

So definitely declare war before France or the Ottopukes decide they hate you so much that they'd join the Catholic League just to spite you.

Node fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tahirovic posted:

Does anyone know how the Kingdom of God decision works in Common Sense? Is it actually worth now or still as bad as most other country forming decisions?

It gives you yearly devotion, yearly prestige, more manpower, and disables the Papacy. It doesn't change your country tag or anything like that.

• Locked thread