Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Haven't played since just before El Dorado was released. I just bought that expansion (don't have CS, though) and patched up. My game used to run smoothly but now, while the game runs at proper speed, menus open like slideshows, shuddering into being rather than smoothly opening. I have a healthy SSD, plenty of RAM, and while my video card isn't a titan, it has the latest drivers and was more than enough prior (R7 200). Anyone else encounter performance issues recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
This constant CTD whenever you load a save in the middle of a game is really annoying.

It seems to happen for any game that has been played longer than a few minutes.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Another Person posted:

Think I just found a bug.

Building something on a province looks like it costs more on the province building page compared to the building window. A textile manufactory costs me 412 through the building window, but going through the province to build costs me about 490.

I had that through my entire Italy game. I had no inflation. I assumed it was some new mechanic that I'd missed (I don't have Common Sense yet, but I have the patches).

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

TTBF posted:

My knowledge of European history is woefully inadequate compared to most of the people posting in this thread, so I'm aware I'm probably wrong. My understanding was that France during this time period was consistently upset at England for various wars and conflicts of interest on the continent and in the New World. Catholic France joined the Protestants during the 30 Years War to gently caress over Austria, which seems like a rival thing to do.

The pattern of major antagonism with France, broadly, is England (Hundred Years War, to 1453), Spain (1500-1700; 1494 Italian War through to Nine Years War ending in 1697, some 90 years of war, with one running nearly 25 years), England/Britain again (most of the 18th century basically, through to the fall of Napoleon). Broadly.

Of course, there's plenty of others in there, like the Dutch, the Austrians, and the Prussians. But those are the big three that occupy entire decades and major portions of France's income and foreign policy energies.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Key change is obviously the new Bavarian colours.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I built the great mountain chain of Level 8 forts two deep across the mountains of northern Italy--all garrisoned--and Austria and all its allies are walking across them like they're escalators with armies of any size they please.

This is putting a slight crimp in my war against them.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Trundel posted:

Does anyone have a good explanation of how Estate's function?

If one is loyal, it gives you empire-wide bonuses (cheaper dev costs, better tax mod, etc). If it is instead disloyal (below 30) it gives you empire-wide penalties and will periodically revolt (rebels and bad stuff). If one has an influence 80 or higher, a disaster clock will begin and it will eventually launch a coup.

You can reduce their loyalty / raise their influence through a set of fixed, controllable decisions to gain one-shot bonuses (a dose of monarch points, or a cheap advisor of a fixed type, for example), which recharge every ten or twenty years. But this is of course dangerous (see above).

Alternatively, giving them land (by assigning a province to one of the estates) raises both the loyalty and influence of its new controller. In exchange, the province gets a permanent autonomy minimum of 25 and a bonus (e.g. assigning the nobility a province adds to that province's manpower).

Finally, random events modify loyalty and influence as well.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 3, 2015

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I really like autonomy because in terms of fluff its clear, and it's clear that autonomy means you lose money. It's a nice shorthand for things like the venality system, where you sign over right to solid long-term moneymaking in exchange for short term benefits (and long term, in the sense that you co-opt those interests by involving them in the government).

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I thought combat width was a function of your combat width score plus your miltech level (giving you a final score of 57 with all miltech researched). But now I see a combat width score of 40 in the military screen. Which is right now?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, I could see it increasing rebellion chances, and I would think annexing a vassal should force you to inherit because that's part of the deal, but otherwise yeah, it should just be expected that poo poo's gonna change when you take territory in war.

Maybe a 10 year immunity so you can make those changes? The "transition" phase, as it were?

I like that. I'd make it five years, but a five year window to remove an estate without suffering a hit in relations with that estate seems fair. I agree it should add revolt risk to the province though.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 3, 2015

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Did another hotfix just roll out?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Interesting bug. I had one of those "favour the x or the y" estates decision (nobility vs I think burghers, but not sure on the latter). I went with nobility, and the moment I made the decision the burghers evaporated as I stared at the screen:

http://imgur.com/3EDbGvM

Shortly thereafter I took a new province and I received an alert that one of my estates wants more swag: the non-existant burghers. They had merely vanished from the main estates panel, but were still in play, and could still be found in the other estates panel.

http://imgur.com/NMw3Sgs

I assume it's because they were reduced to 0 influence, but even at 0 you still need to interact with them.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Thinking about the state of the game at the moment (and ignoring estates, which I feel just needs a bit of tweaking but are otherwise fun), about the only things I'm unhappy with are:

a) No horsetrading in peace deals. History is filled with far too many examples of "I'll give you this but you have to give me that" to make me happy with an all-dominance-or-all-defeat peace system.

b) Battles take way too long. Absurdly, ahistorically long. I'm tired of watching as armies walk across half of France in time to show up and save the day in my Somme-like multi-week campaigns in 1600. I don't like that I can do it to others either. Malplaquet and Waterloo each lasted a day. Leipzig in 1813 had over a half-million men and was over in four.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 18, 2015

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

VDay posted:

Oh also in case no one's mentioned it yet: Paradox is giving out a free unit pack to everyone, you just need to make a Paradox account if you haven't made one yet. https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/profile/game_keys should maybe/probably work. I think they had some problems with their distribution or something so your might not have yours yet but they said everyone should get it eventually.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Just grabbed mine.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Poil posted:

Welp, the game is suddenly horrendously laggy by often freezing for a few seconds. It's pretty much unplayable now and happened without warning. :(

I've been getting that a lot since I got The Cossacks. I haven't been able to isolate any trigger.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I like vassalization so that I can ensure that I country I can't fully annex is at least under my thumb and not signing alliances with France and Austria while I await the cool-down timer. It only adds a few more years before I get it anyways, but ensures I don't have to watch helplessly while they buddy up with the nearest blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
That's awesome.

• Locked thread